Don't eat proteins and carbs in the same meal?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding how someone with a lot of weight to lose is ignoring advice from people who are in amazing shape. I've lost a fair amount of weight and I definitely eat carbs and protein in the same meal. Moderate calorie deficit and exercise worked well.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Dairy is considered a protein and a neutral. Here is one of the sites I visited that has a chart: http://www.colonhealthinfo.com/diet/separation_diet.htm

Whole milk has 50% of calories from fat, 22% from protein, and 28% from carbs.

And milk is somehow "a protein"?

What wizardry is this?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I'd start a diet with less voodoo nonsense like food combining theory

If it's nonsense, then why am I already seeing results? I consumed over 1800 calories yesterday. For me, 1800 calories is maintaining.

:laugh: I am wondering if you understand math at all (calories in/calories out). If you consumed OVER 1800 which would be MAINTENANCE for you then you aren't ever going to lose anything. A weight fluctuation of .2 pounds is nothing. I could fluctuate 5 lbs in one day! It means nothing. I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    somebody sold you a pig in a poke....

just eat healthy

a variety of foods os good for us....

all of them if you are smart

im doing vegan right now because of a diabetes issue....

do some more research
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

If it's nonsense, then why am I already seeing results? I consumed over 1800 calories yesterday. For me, 1800 calories is maintaining.

On the subject of results...

How about you test this diet? Eat 3000 calories of pure carbs for breakfast, then eat 3000calories of protein for dinner. Then report on the astounding amount of weight you have lost by not combining these two macronutrients.

Oh, and remember the carbs have to be eaten in the morning. As we all know, carbs at night make you fat.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Dairy is considered a protein and a neutral. Here is one of the sites I visited that has a chart: http://www.colonhealthinfo.com/diet/separation_diet.htm

What wizardry is this?

*giggles*
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I had stated originally that I JUST started this diet and I wanted opinions from those that HAVE tried it. If you haven't tried it then how do you know if it works or not? I don't need the sarcastic remarks since it doesn't really help me on my weightloss journey. This is one reason I usually stay away from the message boards. The one time I try to reach out I get nothing but negativity. Do any of you think that negativity helps a person when they are trying to get in shape and lose weight? I have stated that I have been eating my meals in moderation.... for the day my caloric intake ranged from 1200-1400 and I still hadn't been losing any weight. So it's not just about cutting back. And for those that think I don't know about water retention, believe me I do. There have been times that I have actually retained up to 4 lbs of fluid and I can see and feel it when I do. Do I know if this way of eating will work for me? No, I don't but I am going to try since eating normally in moderation doesn't seem to fly for me.

Try it for a month, come back with your success story.

How long did you eat at 1400?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

What wizardry is this?

Wizardry_zps971f1071.gif
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I'd start a diet with less voodoo nonsense like food combining theory

1800 would be maintaining if you never crawled out of bed. Sounds like you were eating far too few calories before. Most people start losing weight when they bring their calories back up to a sensable number.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do you get sufficient nutrients from this diet? If so, you like the diet, are able to stick with it, and continue seeing results, there is no reason to poopoo it.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    If it works for her then that is great. That's all that matters.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Protein takes 4 hours to digest and carbs take 2 hours to digest but when eaten together it can take up to 13 hours to digest. No wonder people get heartburn and upset stomachs when eating protein and starches together.

Do you have any citations for this? This is the first I've heard of this and would be curious about the scientific findings behind it.
  • camperchick64
    camperchick64 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Geez people - why do you feel the need to comment when you have nothing positive to say. She wasn't asking for advice from people who are getting to their weight loss goals from other plans. She was asking about a plan tha has helped her to get the scale moving. Not everyone needs the same motiviation.

OP - ignore the snarky comments and do what motiviates you. I have heard about this same type of eating and the reasons behind it. I found it too difficult to stick with on a daily basis but if you can do it - then go for it. Anytime your weight moves and you are eating a healthy diet - I'm all for it!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Last night I ate Chocolate PB and Skinny cow Ice cream then went to sleep. I woke up and weighed 7 lbs less than last night!!!
    I found my new diet, I'm going to patent it, you guys can't have it. Sorry.

I'm IN!!!!!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Geez people - why do you feel the need to comment when you have nothing positive to say.

So when someone posts counterproductive misinformation and nonsense you just shrug and don't care?

People can do what they want, but when they try to convince other people their nonsense is somehow reality then people should pipe up.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I eat proteins and carbs together and I've lost almost 40 pounds since May of last year. Am I a special snowflake then? ;)

Yes, you are.

However, restrictive diets such as this are full of misinformation and playing on people's fears. At the end of the day, it's calories in vs. calories out for the vast majority. Otherwise, I'd still be 45 pounds heavier. And as another poster said, my weight can go up or down close to 5 pounds in a day depending on my intake and output (if you know what I'm saying).
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Geez people - why do you feel the need to comment when you have nothing positive to say. She wasn't asking for advice from people who are getting to their weight loss goals from other plans. She was asking about a plan tha has helped her to get the scale moving. Not everyone needs the same motiviation.

OP - ignore the snarky comments and do what motiviates you. I have heard about this same type of eating and the reasons behind it. I found it too difficult to stick with on a daily basis but if you can do it - then go for it. Anytime your weight moves and you are eating a healthy diet - I'm all for it!

A snarky comment towards the snarky comments ( actually most of the comments are actually helpful to her)....interesting concept:huh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

A snarky comment towards the snarky comments ( actually most of the comments are actually helpful to her)....interesting concept:huh:

I feel so meta.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

There's been nothing but positive comments in this thread. Lots of good, positive and healthy advice. What do you consider positive - perpetuating dieting myths and encouraging pointless eating habits? How is that positive in any way? Reinforcing detrimental behavior is the exact opposite of being "positive".
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) I am replying because I want to help.

2) This diet is 100% nonsense. Calorie and nutrient intake does matter. How you combine them on a per meal basis does not.

3) I am telling you that it is nonsense because you are placing a restriction on your eating habits and this restriction is not doing anything to help you achieve your goal. If I told you you HAD to wear red shoes and sit on a bag of potatoes every time you eat, and you also have to eat at a caloric deficit, you would lose weight. But you would lose weight because of the caloric deficit, not because of the red shoes or the bag of potatoes.

It is for this reason that I believe it is important to write this post.

Best of luck to you.