Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Chimichanga
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    in Amsterdam here - we are known for any food that cures the munchies! :o)

But really, the Dutch love their Febo food (a Dutch fast food chain), especially croquettes! They're also known for making a mean hutspot - which is a mash of potato, carrot and onion usually served with worst. Lekker!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Here in Tulsa, we have some AMAZING home cooked food, like chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes, and fried okra. We also have some really good barbeque and serve something called "burnt ends". SOOOO good! On on occasion, you can find an Indian taco, which is heavenly.

Hey, that's where I'm from :P

And I was just thinking, while I don't like BBQ, we do have a lot of good home food, because we're in the south. But we also have TONS of good Mexican food. Not that gross Tex-Mex crap - real, good, authentic Mexican food. I go to a couple of places so often I know the owners, waitresses, and kitchen staff.... even went to one of the waitresses baby showers... the baby is now 7.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.

^^THIS. Most famous place in a hole-in-the-wall joint called Lafayette Coney Island.
    Most famous coney wars...
    mlive.com_.jpg

Lafayette EVERY time!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh, and one of our signature foods is from a place called Primanti Brothers where they put your meat, coleslaw and fries all togeher on a sandwich .. no side dishes! We also are the home of Heinz Ketchup so if you use any other kind, it's pure blashphemy .. plus it's the best anyway so why would we??? We also like what I like to call "hunky" foods - things like pierogies and pigs in the blanket (a/k/a stuffed cabbage). Oh, and french fries are a topping for our salads .. it's how we roll.

We have Primanti Brothers down here in South FL too! But that's not a signature south Florida food.

Cuban Sandwiches:
    cubansandwich1.jpg

Hogfish cooked every way imaginable:
    grilled & topped with scallops
    hogfish-bar-grill.jpg

fried up:
    6919263211_f90d39421c.jpg

fried & between 2 pieces of bread:
    l.jpg

Benedict
    l.jpg

Stone crabs!
    Stone-crab-claw.jpg
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Southern Illinois originally....Grilled Corn, Funnel Cakes, Pork-burgers and Pork Chop Sandwiches. I've gained 10lbs just thinking about them. In addition we were far enough south that everything could be ordered with a side of gravy.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA so I know what Primanti Bros. is and its great! I also have done the fries on salads (and its amazing!). I love the Kielbasi sandwiches at the hockey arena, Quaker Steak and Lube wings, and De Luca's in the strip for breakfast. All of these are calorie disasters.

I now live in Cleveland, OH (ugh) and we have a restaurant called Melt and they serve amazing, huge grilled cheese sandwiches. They make all different kinds with different fillers and everyone of them has been amazing. We have not been there in 3 months (nothing is calorie friendly) but I will go back someday.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm from Yorkshire - I'm not sure we have one!

But England's staple food is definitely:

Full English Breakfast:

Full_English_Breakfast_zpsa982c062.jpg

Sunday Roast:

300px-Traditional_Sunday_Roast-01_zpsd7bcb666.jpg

Fish and Chips:

fish-and-chips-platter1_zps80f1456b.jpg

Tea and Scones:

tea20amp20scones_zps1dc65bd7.jpg
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake, Imo's Pizza (provel cheese!), Ted Drewes, BBQ (pork steaks, specifically), beer (AB, Schlafy, Trailhead, etc...there are several breweries) and I'm sure there's more I'm missing....

St. Louis, MO
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    In Minnesota tater tot hot dish *shudder*

I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma, so the most signature thing to do: deep fry it!! Mmmm fried okra!!
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh, and one of our signature foods is from a place called Primanti Brothers where they put your meat, coleslaw and fries all togeher on a sandwich .. no side dishes! We also are the home of Heinz Ketchup so if you use any other kind, it's pure blashphemy .. plus it's the best anyway so why would we??? We also like what I like to call "hunky" foods - things like pierogies and pigs in the blanket (a/k/a stuffed cabbage). Oh, and french fries are a topping for our salads .. it's how we roll.

I love the visuals!

primantis_zps85f635ec.jpg

How does your town roll?

Here is another one for Pittsburgh

Isaly's Chipped Ham BBQ sandwiches.

SB_Ham012809_200.jpg
  • dubgnyc513
    Options

We have Primanti Brothers down here in South FL too! But that's not a signature south Florida food.

Cuban Sandwiches:
    cubansandwich1.jpg

Hogfish cooked every way imaginable:
    grilled & topped with scallops
    hogfish-bar-grill.jpg

fried up:
    6919263211_f90d39421c.jpg

fried & between 2 pieces of bread:
    l.jpg

Benedict
    l.jpg

Stone crabs!
    Stone-crab-claw.jpg

The Carlton, ha, great name
  • anubhavsharma18
    anubhavsharma18 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    choley_zps36d04845.jpg

Choley Bathure
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    GA-fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, sweet tea, peach cobbler or pecan pie would be in any diner around.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Deep Dish Pizza and Chicago Style Hotdogs! Where I grew up in Ohio it was Amish/German food! yum :smile:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.

^^THIS. Most famous place in a hole-in-the-wall joint called Lafayette Coney Island.

2zpp0y1.jpg

Hell Yea
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    there's not really a signature food here, but these probably could be called "unique" to here and other Mountain West states

Bison
    Rocky Mountain Oysters

pro-tip: you don't want the Rocky Mountain Oysters. they are not oysters.

Aww, someone beat me to the "oysters" :laugh: And I live in the Denver area, so our micro-brews are big.

My family is from Mississippi so fried catfish is probably our biggest "signature" dish. And my boyfriend recently told me he'd never had a Moon Pie growing up - are those just a Southern thing?? Because they were DELICIOUS!!! (And had no impact whatsoever on my current use of this site....) :wink:
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    East Coast Canada - lobster and seafood. I clearly live in the wrong area because I hate both lobster and seafood. :laugh:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    hattyomiso2.jpg

I live in Okazaki in Japan, famous for Hatcho Miso.