Signature Foods for Where You Live?

Options

Replies

• Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I grew up in IL and IN where Mac and Cheese was an entree. I've lived in Alabama for the last 25 years and here, Mac and Cheese is considered a vegetable. I do love Fried Green Tomatoes and grits!
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Smoked Meat

Bagels

Poutine

Montreal?
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.
    :drinker:

and if you go "up North" in Michigan, they're known for the Pasty (not to be confused with pasties..as worn by strippers :laugh: )

220px-Cornish_pasty_-_cut.jpeg

MMMm. I haven't been to the UP for years. I could use a pasty.

My family has these for Christmas dinner occasionaly. My great grandma was from Cornwall England and she made them and they stuck with the family even now that we are in St. Louis. People never know what I am talking about when I say we are have Pastys.

I'll agree witht the other St. Louisians - Toasted Ravioli, BBQ pork steaks, gooey butter cake and thin crust pizza
  • goldenboy2532
    Options
    I live in Glasgow, Scotland. We're known for the gastronomic catastrophe that is the deep fried pizza...

Best served as shown in this link (http://23x.net/13/what-is-a-deep-fried-pizza.html) with a glass bottle of Irn Bru. It is NOT easy to lose weight living here :)

My family is part Scottish (Clan Buchanan) and as such I went to a Scottish Festival years ago. They had these things called Forfar Bridies (sp?) Please tell me these are real Scottish things and that I can get them when I visit? They were amazing...
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm from Wales UK, and we're known for;

Welsh Rarebit - it's a jazzed up cheese on toast
    Bara Brith - a sweet bread that has raisins
    Cawl - a stew that has lamb and leeks
    Cockles - we love us some cockles
    *kitten* - 'meat'balls in a gravy
    Glamorgan Sausage - made with cheese, eggs and breadcrumbs (no meat)
    Laverbread - Sea weed mix with oats, shaped into patties and fried
    Welshcakes - they have currents, mixed spice and butter, cooked on a bakestone
  • ej_glen
    ej_glen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the deep fried battered Mars bar! So wrong but yet so right!

Only ever tried it once - but OH MY GOODNESS *drool*

Never really see them this way, they're more of a north-east Scotland thing I think. But EVERY chippy round here will do you a deep fried pizza supper. Drenched in salt and vinegar of course...

FileItem-43474-P1030101.jpg
  • ej_glen
    ej_glen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My family is part Scottish (Clan Buchanan) and as such I went to a Scottish Festival years ago. They had these things called Forfar Bridies (sp?) Please tell me these are real Scottish things and that I can get them when I visit? They were amazing...

Yes - they're definitely real, definitely delicious and very, very bad for you :)http://www.thebridieshop.co.uk/index.php/the-forfar-bridie
    Most bakeries in Scotland sell them in some variation.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    POUTINE, YUM, YUM, YUM.....
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Some from places I have lived or frequented:

I grew up in the Chicagoland area - So you ahve a whole host of Chi-town fare:

Chicago Dogs

anotomy.jpg

Italian Beef

5920.jpg

Gyros

20100624-perros-gyro.jpg

and the pizza... oh the pizza

Chicago-pizza-full.jpg

In Springfield, IL, I was introduced to the Horseshoe and all its variants:

horseshoe.jpg

Around here, there is a place called Ross's. They serve this pile of nastiness they call the "magic mountain". Everyone raves about it. It is still being discussed because when Obama came to town this last election cycle, he ordered one, but didn't touch it. Everyone has their panties in a bunch over that.

thumb_600.jpg?1328040676

thumb_600.jpg?1328040534
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Basically chicken bacon ranch everything. Ranch on french fries and pizza. Hi, I'm from Oklahoma, and this is why we're fat.

You mean people everywhere don't do ranch on everything?

*hangs head in shame*

I guess I shouldn't mention that I also put ranch on waffles, with bacon, and make a sandwich out of them. Pancakes work ok too.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm originally from Boston ~

Toll House Cookies
    Boston Cream Pie
    Necco Wafers
    New England Chowder
    Boston Baked Beans
    Parker House dinner rolls
    Lobster
    Steak Tips
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Southern Illinois originally....Grilled Corn, Funnel Cakes, Pork-burgers and Pork Chop Sandwiches. I've gained 10lbs just thinking about them. In addition we were far enough south that everything could be ordered with a side of gravy.

I was in a small town between Marion and Carbondale in a place called Porky's. I ordered a BBQ pork sandwich, and the waitress, simply muttered, "Chow?" I said yep. I was surprised when my sandwich came back with cole slaw all over it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    forgot to add a picture -

l.jpg
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    OP -- I am a fellow Pittsburgher and love all yours

plus chipped ham and Pamela's -- the best breakfast in town (yes the one the President raves about --- but it was ours first damn it)
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Here in Cincinnati... yeah.... plenty here ;)

The Skyline chili 3, 4, or 5 way... Cincinnati style Chili, spaghetti, and a MOUNTAIN of the best cheese ever.... that's your standard "3-way"... add beans or onions (or both) to make a 4 or 5 way... also... the "cheese coney" which is a hotdog with chili and again... a mountain of cheese.... trust me... there's chili in there somewhere...
    IMGP2152.preview.JPG
    6741724_f260.jpg

The Montgomery Inn BBQ ribs and "saratoga chips"
    5077117078_9498c321a6_z.jpg

Frisch's big boy.... any of these sandwiches are fracking awesome...
    sandwiches.jpg

Now I'm starving
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Where I currently live (New Orleans) it would be gumbo, po boys, oysters (raw, fried, or charbroiled), crawfish, and pretty much any kind of seafood. I realize I'm leaving out a lot but you could spend an entire thread just discussing the awesome food scene here.

Where I grew up (North Carolina) it would be bbq. East style or west style.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    456E3592-00ED-4EDB-BE26-F5CDADE5DAF2-1982-00000375787A955F.jpg

Indiana's not so healthy contribution, lol. But, oh so delicious. The pork tenderloin sandwich. You can get them grilled, which is what I do now.

grilled pork tenderloin is blasphemy!

Lol. I know but, I can eat some fries if I get it grilled.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I live in Glasgow, Scotland. We're known for the gastronomic catastrophe that is the deep fried pizza...

Best served as shown in this link (http://23x.net/13/what-is-a-deep-fried-pizza.html) with a glass bottle of Irn Bru. It is NOT easy to lose weight living here :)

ZOMG - When I lived in Dunoon, I got so sick of the fried haggas, fish and chips, I got excited to see that there was a personal sized deep dish pizza on the menu. I ordered it, and was mortified when I watched the owner, go to the freezer pull out a mini pizza, and put it in the basket and deep fat fry it.