Signature Foods for Where You Live?

Options

Replies

• fullofwhimsy
    Options
    Vancouver, BC - Canada

Tough to say really! I suppose wild Pacific (sockeye) salmon, Naniamo bars, Japadogs...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This is not from where I live right now (Bahrain)... it's from Saudi, where I lived until recently. It's kabsa, which is rice with meat (can be chicken or lamb, and you even get fish kabsa) - the rice is flavoured with spices, nuts, raisins and often has vegetables in too.

Traditionally, you eat kabsa from a communal dish, on a carpet on the floor, everyone sitting around it.

This picture shows a kabsa with a whole lamb. That would be for a large party.... family size kabsa might have a whole chicken or a much smaller amount of lamb

olivetree-wholelamb.jpg

Also, here's mendi, another traditional dish, cooked in a traditional oven that's basically a hole in the ground. This is totally delicious, the rice is more plain and the chicken is seasoned with herbs and spices.

5514390377_2d0c3c00f4_z.jpg
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    We do however also have some fun yummy stuff :happy:

haring%2Bhappen%2Bbarcelona%2Bnederlandse%2Bvereniging%2Bspanje.jpg
    27109_fullimage_Haring_vlaggetjes_560x350.jpg
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    I am from NH and they are known for Maple Syrup YUMM but now I'm in Cincinnati and they are known for their Chili.. You won't find anything like this stuff anywhere else. You eat it either on coneys ( hot dogs) or you order it in 3 ways, 4 ways or 5 ways. :bigsmile: :blushing: :laugh: This means on spaghetti, it onions beans cheese ext..

I worked at a hotel and a guest asked a co-worker " what is something I must do in while in town".. my co-worker responded "get a 3-way!" AHAHHAHAHAH The guest almost passed out
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Dell's Lemonaid
    Iggy's
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.
    :drinker:

and if you go "up North" in Michigan, they're known for the Pasty (not to be confused with pasties..as worn by strippers :laugh: )

220px-Cornish_pasty_-_cut.jpeg

PASTIES ARE THE BEST!!! :D
    Gotta love the good ol' UP
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    3670119015_bc57dd64d3_z.jpg

The Juicy Lucy in Minnesota. Both Matt's Bar and the 5-8 Club claim to have invented it. I can't say for sure which is better.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Southern Illinois originally....Grilled Corn, Funnel Cakes, Pork-burgers and Pork Chop Sandwiches. I've gained 10lbs just thinking about them. In addition we were far enough south that everything could be ordered with a side of gravy.

Central Indiana - and pork burgers are a big thing here too! Along with fried tenderloin sandwiches. Imagine a piece of pork that's as big as a dinner plate, and is very, very thin. You take that and bread it and deep fry it. Put it on a tiny bun, so it sticks out all the way around and then put some mustard and pickles on it. Oh, I'm hungry now.

We also do chicken and noodles - it's basically a thick chicken noodle soup (but no veggies!) served over mashed potatoes. Starch on starch. That's how we roll :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    In Minnesota tater tot hot dish *shudder*

I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma, so the most signature thing to do: deep fry it!! Mmmm fried okra!!

Tater Tot Hot Dish is DELICIOUS!
    4434541082_3af4e10a28.jpg
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Chicago - Deep dish pizza and Italian beefs.... all day long.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in central IL, which is famous for the horseshoe sandwich. It's an open face sammie with fries and cheese sauce on top (kind of like poutine, but cheese instead of gravy). A buffalo chicken horseshoe will change your life.

I live in St Louis now, which is famous for toasted ravioli and Budweiser. Iced tea was also created here, which a lesser known fact, I think.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Arkansas signature foods:
    Hog jowls
    blood pudding
    head cheese
    crawfish
    Jumbaylia
    Gumbo

to name a few. good thing I am orginially a california girl and also grew up in another state. I defintely wouldn't eat any of that stuff.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Uhm.. yeah.. this is the best we can do..

media_xl_30741.jpg
    6164.jpg

PS: I'm Dutch. We're not famous for food! We are famous for Heiniken though :tongue:.

Yay! Another Dutchie :p
    I hate our signature dishes though, boerenkool met worst is ok but stamppot makes me want to barf :p

I guess one of the good foods we are known for are bitterballen!
    Bitterballen_mosterd_mayo.jpg
    Sooo gooood...

Or kroketten (kinda the same thing as bitterballen only bigger!) which are especially good on bread:
    0D11AE1BB8EEB3D73FDDAE26C3DF5642-de-kroket.jpg

Edited to say sorry for the huuuuge image! O.o It's my first time posting pictures and I don't know how to re-size them, sorry.. :(
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    garbage-plate.jpg

thats it, im moving there....im in heaven lol !!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Traverse City MI.... the Cherry Capital.

We have cherry EVERYTHING here
  • penelopia
    penelopia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    .....pigs in the blanket (a/k/a stuffed cabbage).....

Here, pigs in a blanket are sausage rolls, a sausage rolled up in a dough and baked or fried.

I'm from Oklahoma. We don't really have anything special I can think of... just a lot of fried things. A LOT.

I'm from England, to us Pigs in Blankets are party sausages wrapped in bacon then roasted...or deep fried :)
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mexican-food_zpsd2c43fd1.jpg
    In Phoenix, AZ, Sonoran style Mexican food is king.
  • jazzguy4him
    Options
    garbage-plate.jpg

The Garbage Plate. Literally the best all-in-one meal ever. Rochester, NY's own.

I used to be in a club in college called the "Cardiac Club." You had to eat 30 plates in 30 days. Plus a breakfast plate and one of the old donuts from Nicks...

Ahh the memories...
  • MrsG2
    MrsG2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    New Mexico. Luckily we have wonderfully delicious (and good for you) green chile, but it's usually on top of something fried and/or covered in cheese. Mmmmm...enchiladas, chimichangas. Is it time for lunch yet?
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

In Springfield, IL, I was introduced to the Horseshoe and all its variants:

horseshoe.jpg

That looks like a Darcy's shoe. THE BEST.