Signature Foods for Where You Live?

Options

Replies

• hansenkh
    hansenkh Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow, lots of Detroiters here! I am in Dayton Ohio now, and we don't really have any signatures, but I was born and raised in Detroit area, just went there this weekend and was hoping for Buddy's Pizza, but my cousins wanted Jet's instead - so not the same! : ( Next time! Had a gyro on Sunday before I left, though!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    hattyomiso2.jpg

I live in Okazaki in Japan, famous for Hatcho Miso.

Delicious!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    .....pigs in the blanket (a/k/a stuffed cabbage).....

Here, pigs in a blanket are sausage rolls, a sausage rolled up in a dough and baked or fried.

I'm from Oklahoma. We don't really have anything special I can think of... just a lot of fried things. A LOT.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Tulsa-agree, lots of fried, chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy, barbeque!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.
    :drinker:

and if you go "up North" in Michigan, they're known for the Pasty (not to be confused with pasties..as worn by strippers :laugh: )

220px-Cornish_pasty_-_cut.jpeg

MMMm. I haven't been to the UP for years. I could use a pasty.
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    West Virginia.....home of the pepperoni roll!!!!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Brats,Beer,burgers-Cheese and more beer;-) Wiiiiiiiiiiisconsin
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    i grew up in MD, so that would obviously be crabcakes and steamed crabs (steamed in beer, often National Bohemian , and Old Bay seasoning).

when i lived out in the SF Bay area, i guess you'd say sourdough bread. but there was also an Ice Cream treat that i don't think is available elsewhere. it was called an "It's It".

Its-It-Ice-Cream-opened-web.jpg

I had an Its It for lunch every day of high school growing up in CA. They are still a guilty favorite.

Also, California is the only place I've ever lived that had salad bar restaurants, where the entire place is nothing but a giant salad bar. Fresh Choice. I miss it so much.
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    Crab, with Old Bay. Old Bay on pretty much everything, actually.

Mmm! You must be from MD!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    456E3592-00ED-4EDB-BE26-F5CDADE5DAF2-1982-00000375787A955F.jpg

Indiana's not so healthy contribution, lol. But, oh so delicious. The pork tenderloin sandwich. You can get them grilled, which is what I do now.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As previous Philly posters have said cheesesteaks, roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone, soft pretzels, and tastykakes.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    East Coast Canada - lobster and seafood. I clearly live in the wrong area because I hate both lobster and seafood. :laugh:

West Coast Caanda - lobster and seafood. Also, a lot of small wineries and micro-brews. And, who can forget Nanaimo Bars!!
  • goldenboy2532
    Options
    North Georgia here... Low Country Boil, Brunswick Stew, BBQ, and grilled corn on the cob come to mind. So does anything made from venison.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Basically chicken bacon ranch everything. Ranch on french fries and pizza. Hi, I'm from Oklahoma, and this is why we're fat.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Where I live we have the Staffordshire oatcake. Its a type of pancake and you add your fillings and roll it up. My favourite filling is cheese and bacon, with a bit of BBQ sauce in there too. Very "not good" for you, but so yummy!!

It used to be that once you left the county very few people would have heard of them. My sister moved to Yorkshire and there are a couple of other ex-Stokies out where she is. Every time she came home to visit, she would have to take back about 20 packs of oatcakes for them all! She says that they sell them in the Morrisons nearby now though, so no more oatcake runs back to Stoke :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oatcake#North_Staffordshire_and_Derbyshire_oatcakes
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I live near Dearborn, MI and we have an abundance of Middle Eastern food. All of my friends who have moved out of state are mourning the loss of authentic shwarma, hummus, and the delicious garlic dip.
    I just had chicken shawarmas from Bucharest Grill twice in the last three days...I think my skin is still oozing garlic but its totally worth it! We definitely have a lot of great Middle Eastern options in the metro Detroit area.....:tongue:
  • djc0821
    djc0821 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Springfield, IL..... The Horseshoe was invented here. Place 2 slices of texas toast on a plate. Add meat (hamburger is my favorite), cover with fries, and smother the whole thing in white cheese sauce. Yum! Other popular varieties are ham, chicken, turkey or buffalo chicken. A Ponyshoe is a small Horseshoe.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I live in Glasgow, Scotland. We're known for the gastronomic catastrophe that is the deep fried pizza...

Best served as shown in this link (http://23x.net/13/what-is-a-deep-fried-pizza.html) with a glass bottle of Irn Bru. It is NOT easy to lose weight living here :)

Don't forget the deep fried battered Mars bar! So wrong but yet so right!
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot Boulevard Brewery in Kansas City! Mmmmm beer.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Where I live (Alberta) the food sucks. Where I'm from (Nova Scotia) it's donairs mmm and seafood which I despise.

And of course poutine.