Signature Foods for Where You Live?

Options

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    St.Louis famous for toasted ravioli, BBQ, thin crust pizza.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    Im not "from" here but I live in Turkey and Tava is huge here. I had the chicken version a few days ago, chicken, bell peppers, onions, cheese, rice..just yummy. Also shish kabobs minus the kabob is big here. Its just the meat and veggies but on a pita like bread.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Frogmore Stew
    (sidenote: Does Not contain frogs...)

frogmorestewsl470951l.jpg
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    RAPPIE PIE!!

2m6pf85.jpg
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin--Beer, Brats, and CHEESE! (and I love all 3)
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Our pigs in blankets are sausages wrapped in bacon. They also carry the other name of devils on horseback. We have angels on horseback too which are dates wrapped in bacon.

The UK has also embraced a lot of 'Indian' Food. In that I think a lot of it is Bangladeshi or Pakistani cuisine but tends to depend on where in the country you are where groups have settled.

Our food is probably more national than in towns. I guess a Cornish Pasty is specific to the county of Cornwall. Pork Pies come from Leicestershire (Melton Mowbray being the signature area).

I think my area doesn't have any signature dish or drink that isn't produced elsewhere in the country (Sussex).
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh, as well. I love pierogies!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Lobstah
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I live near Dearborn, MI and we have an abundance of Middle Eastern food. All of my friends who have moved out of state are mourning the loss of authentic shwarma, hummus, and the delicious garlic dip.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Maryland Blue Crab :D
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Also shish kabobs minus the kabob is big here. Its just the meat and veggies but on a pita like bread.

We get a lot of Turkish kebab grill places in the UK. Very commonly stopped of at before going home from a night on the lash.

I do like a good Chicken or Lamb shish or kofte in pitta wth veg and salad and chilli sauce.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My Hometown of Philly is obviously known for Cheesesteaks, but less known for Philly Pretzels, which I think is the hidden gem. There are no pretzels like Philly pretzels.

Also, Hoagies were invented in Philly.

When i lived in Charleston, SC the signature dish was She Crab soup...so d@mn good and Frogmore Stew.

This^^^

I stay away from the cheesesteaks but love the pretzels. They used to sell them on the street corners Would run up to your car and for $2 you got 3 or more pretzels in a brown paper bag. The health dept investigated and saw these guys didn't wash their hands or wear gloves, handled money etc. went you know what in the bushes and then sold the pretzels to people so they put a stop to it. But now you can get them in most convenience stores.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Akron is home to the Thirsty Dog Brewery & The Pearl Coffee Compnay.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Grew up in Wisconsin... Beer Brats and Cheese. Yes!

Now live in North Carolina... Brunswick Stew, vinegar-based BBQ, Collards, Green beans with ham hocks, biscuits, hush puppies, Cheerwine, and Muscadine wine. I love this place.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Crab, with Old Bay. Old Bay on pretty much everything, actually.
  • ej_glen
    ej_glen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I live in Glasgow, Scotland. We're known for the gastronomic catastrophe that is the deep fried pizza...

Best served as shown in this link (http://23x.net/13/what-is-a-deep-fried-pizza.html) with a glass bottle of Irn Bru. It is NOT easy to lose weight living here :)
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    Here in WV it has to be the Wild Ramp. Being from Maryland, I had never heard of them. They taste like a cross between onion and garlic. From what I understand, if you eat too many, you reek for days! The season is coming up soon, so I'll be seeking some out. When I lived in Central WV folks would be selling them on the roadside.

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/cooking-with-wild-ramps/
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    In Minnesota tater tot hot dish *shudder*

I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma, so the most signature thing to do: deep fry it!! Mmmm fried okra!!

YUM!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Corn-on-the-Cob.jpg

State-Fair-2010-104-300x225.jpg

jello-salad-630x472.jpg

can you guess where I'm from??? :laugh:

Midwest for sure. PIgs and corn = Iowa and Illinois. Carrots in Jello = Lutheran Minnesota.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    The Carlton, ha, great name
    Thank you!

I almost forgot about our lobsters! I'm not a fan of Maine lobster (probably because by the time it gets down to south Florida it's not all that great). But Florida has its own spiny lobster, which is more like a giant shrimp to me (it has no claws), but so delicious nonetheless.

Alive and gigantic:
    poseidon_lobster1.jpg

Dead and decadent:
    img_2008.jpg?w=640&h=480