You Should Study Nutrition - The Other Perspective

Options

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    no **** he didnt come up with it.. that artiicle has like 50 footnotes/references to studies done...

can anyone here actually read? srs
  • astronomicals
    Options
    So your offended that he described a medical condition using the description given by the doctor who named the condition?

Isnt that the same as me being mad for you using the same description for a word as the dictionary uses to describe it?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    no **** he didnt come up with it.. that artiicle has like 50 footnotes/references to studies done...

There's no need to get upset.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make? That a discretionary calorie allowance is probably a good idea once nutritional bases have been met? I doubt anyone really disagrees with that.
  • astronomicals
    Options

What exactly is the point you are trying to make? That a discretionary calorie allowance is probably a good idea once nutritional bases have been met? I doubt anyone really disagrees with that.

i want to see a quote of alan aragon saying what the OP said he said... that is all..

whats the source... for all i can tell its that article.. and in that article I gave it was only a quote... not to mention regardless of whetber or not he said it, its still the definition of the condition....

If I call the big dipper the big dipper will you get pissed off? Take that up with the person who spotted the constellation
  • myofibril
    Options

i want to see a quote of alan aragon saying what the OP said he said... that is all..

Fair dues.

As you were then...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I am not going by "what I was told". Documentation works for me. You show me where 'SCIENCE' proved the earth was round, because I can certainly show you where Columbus was the first to prove the theory.
    Ancient Greek mathematicians had already proven that the Earth was round, not flat. Pythagoras in the sixth century B.C.E. was one of the originators of the idea. Aristotle in the fourth century B.C.E. provided the physical evidence, such as the shadow of the Earth on the moon and the curvature of the Earth known by all sailors approaching land. And by the third century B.C.E., Eratosthenes determined the Earth's shape and circumference using basic geometry. In the second century C.E., Claudius Ptolemy wrote the "Almagest," the mathematical and astronomical treatise on planetary shapes and motions, describing the spherical Earth. This text was well known throughout educated Europe in Columbus' time.

http://www.livescience.com/16468-christopher-columbus-myths-flat-earth-discovered-americas.html

Okay, now yours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myofibril
    Options
    The source is the recommendations from the 2005 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee as far as I know.

I will see if I can find an appropriate link to the guidelines.

ETA: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/HTML/D3_DiscCalories.htm
  • astronomicals
    Options
    The source is the recommendations from the 2005 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee as far as I know.

Original poster said it was on his blog...

http://www.alanaragon.com/articles

good luck finding it
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

whats the source... for all i can tell its that article.. and in that article I gave it was only a quote... not to mention regardless of whetber or not he said it, its still the definition of the condition....

If I call the big dipper the big dipper will you get pissed off? Take that up with the person who spotted the constellation

http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/24/healthy-foods-that-really-arent-nutritionists-weigh-in/slide/nothing/

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • astronomicals
    Options

Heres your quote.. Alan Aragon said ”It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food,”

You can use that because he actually said it, unlike what you qyuoted him as saying.... which he never said in either of the links provided..

what does this prove? Not much.. Besides your lack of credibility and thae fact that you twist articles to fit your platform and views.. Which makes you biased...

Im done here.... youre just trolling since page one...
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Heres your quote.. Alan Aragon said ”It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food,”

You can use that because he actually said it, unlike what you qyuoted him as saying.... which he never said in either of the links provided..

what does this prove? Not much.. Besides your lack of credibility and thae fact that you twist articles to fit your platform and views.. Which makes you biased...

no **** i'm biased! so are you! we all are! we all think our viewpoint is the right one, otherwise we wouldn't hold that viewpoint... right? i'm just offering my side of the story - you offered yours. no harm done. :)
  • myofibril
    Options

good luck finding it

Oh, I see.

That is clearly wrong. Having said that the way some people throw around the term "orthorexia" on here is ludicrous - especially as it has no confirmed diagnostic application.
  • astronomicals
    Options

no **** i'm biased! so are you! we all are! we all think our viewpoint is the right one, otherwise we wouldn't hold that viewpoint... right? i'm just offering my side of the story - you offered yours. no harm done. :)

ill take that as conceding the fact that you're misquoting people.... I accept your apology
  • astronomicals
    Options

good luck finding it

Oh, I see.

That is clearly wrong. Having said that the way some people throw around the term "orthorexia" on here is ludicrous - especially as it has no confirmed diagnostic application.

no confirmed diagnostic application?? please explain

I honestly wonder if you even understand what orthorexia is. If you dont believe it exists, I don't know how.
  • NicolesMinion
    Options
    I would stay away from Gary Null. I went to one of his lectures and he was so off base on something he said about gluten that I almost got up and walked out. He has misinformation and isn't grounded in the science. (I have a doctorate in Food Science and have read a lot of the hard data out there and know when misinformation is being spread).

adding a link that might shed light on Mr Null:
    http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/null.html
  • myofibril
    Options
    The irony here is actually hilarious.

Orthorexia has no confirmed diagnostic basis - it is essentially a hypothesis. The OP has recommended that perhaps alternative viewpoints which do not yet have a confirmed scientific verification should be considered. People who claim to be scientifically minded then do what exactly the OP suggest by insinuating people who seem particularly concerned with "clean" eating are othorexic.

Hahahaha. I love these forums.

Everyone has cognitive bias. Everyone
  • myofibril
    Options
    no confirmed diagnostic application?? please explain

I honestly wonder if you even understand what orthorexia is. If you dont believe it exists, I don't know how.

Explain it to me scientifically then with reference to a medical journal or publication which sanctions a diagnosis of orthorexia.

Clearly I have no idea what it may be.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

ill take that as conceding the fact that you're misquoting people.... I accept your apology

the semantics here are ridiculous.

if you ASKED Aragon straight up "what does orthorexia mean?" he would use that quote or a variation on it. that's what he believes it to mean.
    There's a term for taking the obsession with righteous/perfectionistic/"clean" eating to extremes, and it's called orthorexia.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=436207#post436207

should I have used that quote instead? it means the same exact thing... yaaaaay semantics!
  • astronomicals
    Options

Orthorexia has no confirmed diagnostic basis - it is essentially a hypothesis. The OP has recommended that perhaps alternative viewpoints which do not yet have a confirmed scientific verification should be considered. People who claim to be scientifically minded then do what exactly the OP suggest by insinuating people who seem particularly concerned with "clean" eating are othorexic.

thats not orthorexia at all and just cuz morons think it is doesnt mean that you can angue from that standpoint....

people who refuse to eat any fat are orthorexic... you need fat to function properly... making fat a taboo creates a deficiency that is very bad for your long term health...

that is orthorexia....

there are plenty of deficiencies that can AND HAVE developed in many individuals...

You could eat "clean" food (hate that ****ing word) every day all day and not be orthorexic.... many people do...

here enlies the problem with those individuals.... the second you say you eat "clean" you insinuate taht there is a dirty counterpart... if you just said you always eat healthily you wouldnt have the word "orthorexic" flying around so much.... its not such a negative connotation to use the word unhealthy in contrast with the word dirty....

if you're a normal health person, who is scared of bacon, there is something wrong with you... same with just about any food so long as you dont have some medical condition..... this is mild orthorexia.. it may not be enough to be damaging, but its not sound reasoning
  • CoachReddy
    Options

thats not orthorexia at all and just cuz morons think it is doesnt mean that you can angue from that standpoint....

people who refuse to eat any fat are orthorexic... you need fat to function properly... making fat a taboo creates a deficiency that is very bad for your long term health...

that is orthorexia....

there are plenty of deficiencies that can AND HAVE developed in many individuals...

You could eat "clean" food (hate that ****ing word) every day all day and not be orthorexic.... many people do...

it's amazing to me that you can so clearly define a mental condition that has never even been defined by modern psychology...

you - sir - deserve a nobel prize methinks.