Options

Replies

• pinkperfume
    Options
    A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Do you paste this at the bottom of all your posts?

I have been wanting to ask that for the longest time.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    In your origional post you said alan aragon said, "Orthorexia is an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food". You went on to say, numerous times over the last 5 pages, that 10-20% of your intake can be "dirty" foods...

Heres the problem..

"In 1997, a general physician named Steven Bratman coined the term orthorexia nervosa [21], which he defines as, “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food."

Furthermore, that whole 10-20% thing comes from the same fracking article.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

All written by Alan Aragon!

You dissected his article and twisted facts and acted as if you got your ideas from somewhere else.

I think you owe the man an apology.

ETA:You said "I have been called orthorexic. that alone should tell you that the already fake word is easily corrupted and misused, as my nutrition is outstanding".... Every orthorexic would say that.. I'm not saying you're orthorexic, but, that defense is worthless.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I think you misunderstood. Your study says "DEATH rates" from cancer has decreased. My original post said "CANCER CASES" have increased. Death rates from cancer are irrelevant to this topic.

It's not a study, it's a report. Which you obviously didn't read it:

"The overall rate of new cancer diagnoses, also known as incidence, among men decreased by an average of 0.6% per year between 2004 and 2008."

"Overall cancer incidence rates among women decreased 0.5% per year from 1998 to 2006; rates remained level from 2006 through 2008"

Cancer RATES are going down.
    And if it isn't scary enough that I say cancer cases in the U.S. are on the rise, I'l add a number of cancer cases from the U.S. last year alone (2012). 1,638,910 reported cases in one year in the U.S. This info is from the American Cancer Societies Website.

Population increases every year, so total cases isn't a good figure. Also, getting older is a risk factor for cancer, and a huge chunk of our population is aging. Despite that, rate is #/cases per a certain # of people, is declining. See?
    Here is is a list from the National Cancer Institute which shows the things in foods, deodorants, etc which may be linked to cancer. It says in here that eating toxic foods may be linked to cancer. This is why I prefer to eat as clean as possible and ensure the products I use (deodorant) etc are from pure REAL products.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk

Do you read the stuff you link?

"However, researchers at the National Cancer Institute (NCI), a part of the National Institutes of Health, are not aware of any conclusive evidence linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates food, cosmetics, medicines, and medical devices, also **does not have any evidence or research data that ingredients in underarm antiperspirants or deodorants cause cancer.** "

Google "naturalistic fallacy", you're using it. There's nothing wrong with using chemical deodorent, eating processed foods (if they're not contributing to weight gain). Yes,obesity is linked to cancer, but the extent to which "eating clean", whatever that means, protects you from cancer is debatable.

You might want to actually read the links before posting.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    "However, researchers at the National Cancer Institute (NCI), a part of the National Institutes of Health, are not aware of any conclusive evidence linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates food, cosmetics, medicines, and medical devices, also **does not have any evidence or research data that ingredients in underarm antiperspirants or deodorants cause cancer.** "

I wouldn't trust the FDA. They wouldn't ban something that is cheap and used by many industries unless it outright causes cancer short term. There are a lot of products that are suspect. I say why take a risk with your life until they find out that it actually causes cancer in the long term.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    pinkperfume:

Actually, it wasn't science which first discovered the world was round vs flat. It was Christopher Columbus who discovered it and spread it to the world. One theory, proven correct. Science came later and confirmed what Christopher already proved. As you can see science is sometimes, "behind the times". I'm waiting for them to get caught up on proving and exposing how dangerous all the processed food is that everyone so frequently consumes.

lol wut?! please study history a little bit better, and less "westernized" ;) Even wikipedia is more accurate than your statement ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth )

OP: Thanks for the links, it was interesting to read and you are right that it is good to evaluate all sides - regardless of if you agree or not.. science :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I wouldn't trust the FDA. They wouldn't ban something that is cheap and used by many industries unless it outright causes cancer short term. There are a lot of products that are suspect. I say why take a risk with your life until they find out that it actually causes cancer in the long term.

Would you trust the Cancer Research UK? - they have nothing to do with the FDA:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/deodorants/deodorants-and-cancer

"You may have heard rumours that deodorants and antiperspirants could cause breast cancer. But these concerns were started by an e-mail hoax. There is no convincing evidence that antiperspirants and deodorants cause breast cancer.

For example, a large study in 2002 looked for links between antiperspirant use and breast cancer in 1,500 women. The researchers found that neither antiperspirants nor deodorants increased breast cancer risk."
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am sorry "coach" but I believe you are still in the same mind frame as you were selling you know what product....no need for me to sell it since there are so many on here already doing it. You are just trying to get more clients. Stop. It's against the MFP rules to sell anything on here.

Also I saw you say you sorted out health issues by doing certain things. If it was true then you would have zero issue explaining what was wrong with you and what you did to fix it right? Sorry but you still sound like a salesman.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Actually, it wasn't science which first discovered the world was round vs flat. It was Christopher Columbus who discovered it and spread it to the world. One theory, proven correct. Science came later and confirmed what Christopher already proved. As you can see science is sometimes, "behind the times". I'm waiting for them to get caught up on proving and exposing how dangerous all the processed food is that everyone so frequently consumes.

Actually this is a commonly repeated myth that Columbus discovered the world was not flat. In fact the ancient Greeks, among them Pythagoras and Aristotle postulated this and it is also thought ancient Indian astronomers also knew this around the same time. By the Middle Ages when Columbus appeared on the scene, most people accepted the world was round.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Actually it was science that helped to prove it was round. And if you look at the actual history of the saying, only a few thought the Earth was actually flat.
    I believe where failure in nutrition happens is that extreme views try to convince others that their argument is absolutely correct. That goes with just about everything in life. I can say with confidence that the majority of the people on here and in the world are probably somewhere in the middle, and I'd rather appeal to them then try to debate with an extreme view since they'll more than likely NEVER change their stance.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, it was science. You're of the belief that it was Columbus because that's what you've been told.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Depends on how your grandma made it.:laugh: Mine made it with MSG and salt in high amounts. I think where you're off on perception is that IIFYM people eat nothing but crap, when in truth 80% of what is eaten is usually whole foods with vegetables and fruits. 20% of it is the processed crap, but even then I would bet that the processed is of the "lesser" evils.

IDEA Fitness member

Chicken stew 50 to 60 yrs ago was not made with MSG. It was made by butchering a chicken you probably raised yourself and which was not fed growth hormones. Veggies were from the garden. And the broth came from adding vinegar and bones to the stew. The vinegar drew out the calcium from the bones and the chicken meat also added to create the broth. The bones were then removed and you had stew. Now days, ppl add bullion cubes to make broth. It's time to get back to the basics.

Cancer cases have risen every year for the past 30 years. There is a reason for that.
    You do realize that I said MINE? My grandmother? Not everyone else's?

And according to a 2009 report from cancer.org, the cancer rates have been going down since 1990.
    Where are you getting your information from?

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I am sorry "coach" but I believe you are still in the same mind frame as you were selling you know what product....no need for me to sell it since there are so many on here already doing it. You are just trying to get more clients. Stop. It's against the MFP rules to sell anything on here.

Also I saw you say you sorted out health issues by doing certain things. If it was true then you would have zero issue explaining what was wrong with you and what you did to fix it right? Sorry but you still sound like a salesman.

Haha what? What, pray tell, am I "selling" here? Other than to look at things from another perspective? And I've gone into extreme depth in other threads about my personal experiences. But if you'd like, I'd be happy to rehash - or at least copy paste.

For the record, the first chunk of the OP was just copied verbatim from astronomicals' thread. So if it sounds like I'm selling something, they're actually not even my words. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    IDEA Fitness member

Do you paste this at the bottom of all your posts?
    Annoying isn't it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • pinkperfume
    Options

Actually this is a commonly repeated myth that Columbus discovered the world was not flat. In fact the ancient Greeks, among them Pythagoras and Aristotle postulated this and it is also thought ancient Indian astronomers also knew this around the same time. By the Middle Ages when Columbus appeared on the scene, most people accepted the world was round.

Correct, it was thought the world was round by some of the more educated, but not proven until Christopher Columbus set sail. It was then that it was PROVEN the world was not flat. With this I stand behind my original comment of, "it wasn't science who discovered the world was round, it was Columbus.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your grandma made it.:laugh: Mine made it with MSG and salt in high amounts. I think where you're off on perception is that IIFYM people eat nothing but crap, when in truth 80% of what is eaten is usually whole foods with vegetables and fruits. 20% of it is the processed crap, but even then I would bet that the processed is of the "lesser" evils.

IDEA Fitness member

Chicken stew 50 to 60 yrs ago was not made with MSG. It was made by butchering a chicken you probably raised yourself and which was not fed growth hormones. Veggies were from the garden. And the broth came from adding vinegar and bones to the stew. The vinegar drew out the calcium from the bones and the chicken meat also added to create the broth. The bones were then removed and you had stew. Now days, ppl add bullion cubes to make broth. It's time to get back to the basics.

Cancer cases have risen every year for the past 30 years. There is a reason for that.

And according to a 2009 report from cancer.org, the cancer rates have been going down since 1990.

IDEA Fitness member
    To say nothing of the fact that 60 years ago most of the population of America did not have chickens running around in their back yard and were growing their own vegetables. That is a fantasy. I am old enough to have lived then.
  • pinkperfume
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

My information came from the National Cancer Institute.
  • pinkperfume
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member
    To say nothing of the fact that 60 years ago most of the population of America did not have chickens running around in their back yard and were growing their own vegetables. That is a fantasy. I am old enough to have lived then.

It may depend on where you lived in America. My family in Nebraska most certainly got most all their food from their farms . This included chickens and vegetables in gardens and butchering and milking cows.
  • pinkperfume
    Options
    Actually it was science that helped to prove it was round. And if you look at the actual history of the saying, only a few thought the Earth was actually flat.
    I believe where failure in nutrition happens is that extreme views try to convince others that their argument is absolutely correct. That goes with just about everything in life. I can say with confidence that the majority of the people on here and in the world are probably somewhere in the middle, and I'd rather appeal to them then try to debate with an extreme view since they'll more than likely NEVER change their stance.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, it was science. You're of the belief that it was Columbus because that's what you've been told.

IDEA Fitness member

I am not going by "what I was told". Documentation works for me. You show me where 'SCIENCE' proved the earth was round, because I can certainly show you where Columbus was the first to prove the theory.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Orthorexic is defined by Alan Aragon as “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.”

This is a very dumbed down definition and doesn't represent what orthorexia truly is. Most of the time people who are orthorexic will continue to eliminate food groups they deem as unhealthy. This obsession can lead to malnutrition when critical nutrients may be eliminated from the diet.

When you don't include the entire definition, then you make it sound as if he is hating on people who like nutritious foods. That's not the case. There is a line that can be crossed when stressing over "clean" foods becomes unhealthy.

^This. In your next paragraph you talked about how "food shouldn't consume your every waking thought but there's nothing wrong with eating healthy". Orthorexia doesn't just mean eating healthy. It means food IS consuming your every thought, and you're so terrified of eating a food that you don't deem "healthy" or "safe" that your body can actually suffer terribly. No one is calling someone who just likes to eat healthy orthorexic. C'mon.