Losing Weight While Your Partner Doesn't

Options

Replies

• BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    she got attention she was gone. That's women for you.
    Hey now, we're not all attention *kitten*.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If the question is whether to leave my husband, the answer will almost always be no. Unless he becomes dangerous to me or my kids, there isn't anything that will end my marriage. He has seen me through two pregnancies and about three different clothes sizes. We've gained and lost weight in the 8 years we've been together and there wasn't one second when I didn't think he was the best looking man I've ever met. He'll lose hair, I'll sag and we'll have a full and interesting life changing together.

If you are questionning whether you should leave your partner, I think the answer is probably yes. If you no longer find her attractive, that isn't a good situation for either of you. She deserves to find someone who loves her and finds her attractive - whatever way she chooses to live her life. You deserve that too. This is going to come off sounding rude - but I've seen it happen too many times not to write it - I hope that you don't later regret your decision when you've played the field and found that, ideal body type or not, she was still the best thing for you.

Good luck whatever you choose :)
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you are changing your life, but your partner is content in thiers, then you have to decide if you love them as they are.

I think this says it all. Do you love your partner for who they are, regardless of what they look like, and aren't they in fact the exact same person you fell in love with, while you are the one who has changed? Obviously, it's a change for the better, but you never signed an agreement saying if one person got thin, the other had to as well.

Hopefully, she would want to take your journey with you, but if not, you can't really expect her to just because you did. Now maybe your success will inspire her.

Is it superficial thinking, you're hotter now so you want to be with someone hotter too? Or is it that you are concerned for her health and want her to lead an active lifestyle? You need to figure out why this bothers you, and if it's a good enough reason to leave the person you love.

Also, of course you should have several conversations about it. Sometimes it takes people hearing something once before they really understand. If she really loves you, and it would save your relationship, she would be willing to do it with the proper motivation. Just don't ever come at a woman saying you want her to lose weight, we will take that the wrong way every time and get defensive. Come at it from the health concern and longevity aspect.
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been in a similar situation but I was on the other side of it...

My boyfriend of 7 years decided to end our relationship after I had gained weight. We had bought a house together, had been living together for 6 years and had often talked about getting married. While in the beginning I thought it was the most heartless thing he could do (he had gained some weight also and I had stuck around), I'm now glad that he ended it.

The fact is that once you're no longer attracted to your partner, inevitably you will make them miserable as well. Trust me, it is very obvious when your partner is not attracted to you anymore. The last 2 years of my relationship, I knew he wasn't attracted to me and I fell into a deep depression and attempted suicide a few times. Finally he left and things got worse for me for a while, but now, a little over a year later... I'm happy he ended it. I still think he's an insensitive jerk lol but the break up was definitely beneficial for me.

You are not doing anyone any good by staying with them when the attraction is gone... One thing I wish my ex had done is end it earlier. Instead of waiting to the point where my self-esteem was non-existent and I was depressed. If he had ended it earlier, I would've been hurt but would have been spared 2 years of feeling like I wasn't good enough and falling into that depression. Once you get to that point, you're miserable in the relationship, but you also feel unworthy. I don't know if I ever would have left him because I felt like I wasn't good enough for anybody. Also, I got so depressed that I started gaining more weight!

So now, I'm single, happy, and I'm losing weight for myself! I'm much happier being single than being in a relationship with someone that isn't attracted to me for ME!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Honest question. Say you have been in a relationship for a few years with somebody, and you decide to lose weight / change your lifestyle. 6 months down the road and you're in great shape while your partner has stayed the same (maintained the same lifestyle). You have tried to motivate your partner to better themselves physically but they don't want to change anything. You now don't see your partner in the same way physically, and think it's unfair that you care about how you look but they don't care about it.

Would you leave your partner?

Love the one you're with ....
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One thing for which I am very grateful is that my husband has been and remains committed to fitness and eating well. Seeing him workout keeps it at the forefront of my mind and keeps my motivation high, and when we occasionally workout together it is extra-great couple time.

He has never, ever nagged me or pointed out when I am being lazy or that I have gained weight. He will, however, gently encourage me if I'm being wishy washy (me: I just don't feel like working out. him: that's fine if you decide not to, but I think you'd feel better if you did.). Mostly, I am motivated by the example he sets.

If he were to start dropping the good habits and picking up the bad ones, I would not leave. He's an incredible human being, and his healthy lifestyle is only one of many things I love about him. If he got fat and unfit and unmotivated to fix it, I would stay and love him and set a good example for him and gently encourage him. I would do for him what he has done for me.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    My ex and I gained together then started losing together. She had quicker success along with less to lose so the minute her single friends started inviting her clubbing and she got attention she was gone. That's women for you.

That's THAT woman - not all women.
  • beautifulmess87
    beautifulmess87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i guess i'd say this....
    I dont feel like the way I look changes what i find attractive.
    I think the man im with is attractive and i dont think bc my *kitten* shrinks that'll change.

I do believe this, if it is having an impact on their health and you sit back and say nothing, you are not helping the situation.
    i had a friend who was 300 lbs plus and kept gaining and getting pregnant even tho it was litterally killing her. if i was her husband (who just so happens to be extremely in shape.) i would have threatened to leave a long time ago. She continuoulsy puts herself in harms way bc she just wont stop eating.

this seems so entirely vain to me. I mean.. the same person, you loved em while you were fat & unhealthy and they were there.

& to the person who said you'd cheat.. until you got caught or left..... TERRIBLE....
    If you dont want to be with a person, leave... There is never an excuse to cheat... NEVER....

• Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's not shallow if their inability to try to lose weight is just a part of the problem. If you're upset because they won't let go of their horrible habits that are endangering their health and you're sick of being with someone that ALWAYS has that "nope. Not gonna try" lifeless attitude, it's not shallow. It's a lifestyle change. People change and grow. Sometimes they grow apart. To sit back at a distance and criticize people only focusing on "he wants to leave her cause she's not pretty. That is like so wrong" is ignoring the issue completely. I'm not saying you're saying that, but there are people that would just focus on that. I think your comment was spot on. Especially towards the end on the "I'm hot you're not goodbye". That is incredibly stupid

If you would consider leaving someone for such a shallow reason, you don't love them.... which means if your partner loves you, they'd be better off if you didn't string them along.

If there are other factors at play and other reasons for wanting to leave, forgive me for being so blunt.
    It's possible that increased confidence with better fitness brings your unhappiness with a relationship to your attention. Also, if someone makes you feel guilty for wanting to better your fitness or even sabotages you, that's another story entirely. But if you're like "I'm hot now and he/she isn't. I'm gonna go get me a hot one," my previous statement applies.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Great topic! It's interesting to read the different opinions and hear both sides of the story. I'm in the same boat with my husband. I'm losing weight and with that came a new love for an active lifestyle, which he does not share. And while his weight problem alone wouldn't make me leave him, his inability to try new things, be active with me and our kids, etc. is contributing to my dissatisfaction on our relationship. That may seem harsh but it's the reality. I find myself wondering if I can live the rest of my life with him. I'm hoping that talking with him and explaining this, leading by example, continuing to encourage him to join me in my activities or allowing him to choose an activity and join him, and showing him that I am serious about being fit and healthy this time around, that he will eventually see the light and make some improvements in his life.

I have to say though, if he doesn't...I don't see us working out in the long run. I will put in the effort for us and our three kids but if he doesn't put in any effort then there's nothing more I can do. Good luck with your decision. It's a hard one.
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE! AND KNOW THIS FEELING!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow, does this strike a chord for me. I am in this situation but not only does he not care to take care of himself healthwise there are other issues. I am working hard to deal with my issues and take care of myself while he does not seem to care. I have asked for divorce and we are in counseling but he just doesn't get that his health and hygiene are part of the problem.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My husband has stuck by me, loved me and been supportive through my "thicks" and my "thins". Although he has always been in amazing shape and taken extremely good care of himself, if the roles were reversed I would stick by him too!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. My marriage is far too important to me. I married for love...not how my husband looks. Do I worry about my hubby? Of course, I do. But I love him and I respect his choices. You can encourage a person to get healthy...but forcing the issue won't help. If and when he's ready....I'll be there to cheer him on as he is doing to me right now.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My BF is pretty active and we both eat at the same level of healthiness most of the time. I might be a bit more health-conscious but we both have a little extra padding, just in different areas, and we both want to lose it. I think he is super attractive so I wouldn't care if he stayed the same weight while I lost some. He could gain some and it wouldn't bother me, but he's the type of person who just stays wiry. We have an awesome relationship though; perhaps if we didn't, I would be more conscious of a difference in our lifestyles because I'd already be concerned about our compatibility.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would stick with them, as long as they are encouraging and supporting, and weren't trying to "derail me."

I can see how it might be different if I went from eating all day, every day, making poor choices, never leaving my couch/house, etc and completely went to the other spectrum. But, even at my heaviest, and "most unhealthy" I still liked to hike, eat well on occasion, and wasn't interested in being lazy, or eating out all the time so someone who lead a completely sedentary / "unhealthy" life style wouldn't be someone I would be interested in.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    No, weight/fitness is not a deal breaker.

Addictions, abuse, infidelity... Different story.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You said partner... Destroy a marriage over this, no... dump a GF/BF, absolutely.... Destroy a marriage because your fatass wife/husband is trying to destroy your ego and make fun of your diet, yeah probably...

hell, i've dumped girls for gaining weight during our relationship... They knew I cared about fitness and physique, so, well, que sera.
  • wishhh86
    wishhh86 Posts: 2
    Options
    When You love each other then of course dont leave.!!
    I know its hard, really hard, if You try to get fit and eat healthy and other side dont wanna join and still eating not healthy food!!
    Keep going until you reach your goals:wink:

40959500.png
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to the lifestyle concept. Having been in a relationship for 40 years, I probably have some insight . My husband and I are very different in personality but we are a great complement to each other. For example, he is VERY outgoing and I HATE parties. He is a semi professional musician, I am tone deaf. We have different activities. But at the end of the day, we each have something to bring to the table. The key is are you equally interested in what the other brings to the table. As to weight, I was 104 when I met my husband at 5' 6" and my wedding band was a size 3. At my peak weight, I was over200 and pregnant with twins. I have had periods of no exercise, fat, and sad. He stepped up because he just really found me fascinating (yeah, great guy). I guess you have to decide if you can stay fascinated with your partner....it is a choice. After you decide how you feel, communicate and ask if she wants to continue on the life trip. If she does not want to continue, be the bigger person and kindly and gently withdraw from the relationship. Oh, an ultimatums never work <smile>. Good luck on your journey
  • rwoods72
    rwoods72 Posts: 5
    Options
    I
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!