Online Dating, Yay or Nay

Options

Replies

• _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm fat.

All the ladies on my friends list want me...it's ridic how much I have to fend them off...

But, my attitude for the most part is awesome...

it's the truth....

we FALL over ourselves to get to Tyler.....(sorry Dani...just.....sorry...)

Back the FCK up bishes!!!! :angry:

MINE.

Well now... This should be interesting... *grabs popcorn*
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Women value a fat wallet more so than appearance.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    wait, you mean MFP isn't a dating site and I've been doing it wrong this whole time? damn....
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    picresized_1229584137_youreadog.gif.scaled1000.gif
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think the question to ask yourself is the following.....How is it any different than meeting someone at the bar and dating them? At least if you meet someone online you can weed out the ones that you just don't have good conversation with without wasting much time. I met my fiance online and we have been together going on three years, scheduled to get married in June. His brother is engaged to a girl he met online as well at the same time. If you play it safe and check out the facts before you meet then it can be wonderful. Good luck to you :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    No luck with online dating yet... most people vanish when they find out I'm in a wheelchair. As in, conversation is going well, everything seems cool, then I casually mention this, and... no more responses. Yikes. And those who aren't scared by it don't end up being a match in the long term.

Still waiting for the one...

Ouch, yep that's a fail when people drop off the face of the earth because of the minor details. I've met so many folks from all sorts of backgrounds, personal issues, health and physical disabilities, but that should never make them that less of an attraction or less of a person to know, converse with, etc.

BTW, what's caused you to be in a wheelchair if you don't mind me asking. I hope you have a great bunch of love ones and unconditional support.
    I was born with Spina Bifida. The way I was raised I was not consciously aware of being handicapped because I was not treated in such a way, or told I couldn't do something because of it - to this day I rarely, if ever, think about it and just roll (no pun intended) with it.

So when I'm writing these online dating profiles, since my handicap doesn't define me, and doesn't effect my life in any major way, I don't really feel it's necessary to delve so deep into it, thinking that people would not be so weird about it, since I myself don't make it a big deal. I don't view my wheelchair as a tool - to me it is a physical part of me, so I don't think about it much.

I'm married but I can give you my point of view if i was single and met a date-worthy guy in a wheelchair. This is coming from someone who doesn't know any men in wheelchairs and who would be totally neurotic about offending. Stream of consciousness would go something like this: OMG he's cute. I wonder why he's in there. I like to dance. Does he like to dance. How does that work. How does he slow dance. I wonder if IT works. My house has steps. My house has multi levels. My bed is really high. What if i went to kiss him and he wasn't interested.
    And then I would go on and on with my internal conversation until i talked myself out of meeting you because I lacked the confidence to venture into unknown territory. So you wouldn't think about it but SHE might because there are already a ton of dating unknowns and that adds to it. I hope I didnt butcher that thought too badly and you understand what I mean.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Tried it, it wasn't for me.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Soooooooooooo I took advice and made an account on POF.... Yeah... This whole online dating this is fricking overwhelming. It's been like.... 10 minutes and I have 10 messages!!! Ahhh!!!! Stressing me out man!!!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Soooooooooooo I took advice and made an account on POF.... Yeah... This whole online dating this is fricking overwhelming. It's been like.... 10 minutes and I have 10 messages!!! Ahhh!!!! Stressing me out man!!!

Sadly most are crazy and they think that since they dont see you in person it's ok to be even crazier. Just ignore the weirdos. Have fun!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

You're fresh meat lol. You will get a TON of messages initially, it will taper off. Don't respond to everyone!
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Why not give it a shot? You've got nothing to lose by trying it but you may miss out on someone great if you don't.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    The benefit of online dating dear is that you didn't bang on the 1st date..
    You didn't meet at a bar..
    Its not creepy to send racey pics cuz if they don't like them you wont be emberrased
    If you want to disappear off the face of the planet, its way easier online than in person
    They wont kno where you live, so they cant stalk you
    You can always refer to 1&2 if you ever have any doubts.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

You're fresh meat lol. You will get a TON of messages initially, it will taper off. Don't respond to everyone!

Why not? Is this some sort of girl code? Is there a criteria you use of who is worthy to ignore and who isn't lol?

Just curious. In my profile, I had put specifically some disqualifiers...things that would make us 'not fit'. There wasn't many by the way...only two, but if they ignored them and messaged me anyhow (other than polite conversation, which I always reply to)...that is the only reason I didn't reply.

Other than that...yes, I responded to everyone...even those I wasn't interested in. Common courtesy and all.
  • DOOMTOWNE
    DOOMTOWNE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is there some sort of etiquette for online dating site usernames? Things I should avoid?

This thread got me interested in trying one of those sites for the first time, but I'm pretty sure DOOMTOWNE isn't appropriate.

Also, SNESLover69 is taken, suggestions please.
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend, whom I met online about 2 years ago is getting ready to move here soon. I didn't meet him on a dating site though, we met in an online game (yep, I'm a total geek). It was really long distance. He lives in the UK. I've been over there once with plane tickets already bought to go again this summer. He's been here twice, he stayed about a month each time. I have a friend who met her husband on a dating site and both my parents remarried someone they met online. I think it's just the new way to meet people.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Online dating for men: Send out 10,000 letters. Get one response.

Online dating for women: Receive 10,000 letters. Respond to only hottest guys.

I have this happen to me. I was on both OKC and POF for about four months. I sent out tons of messages (and no, not just to the "hottest" guys) and only three... THREE guys in total responded to me. Went on a date with each of them, and they all wound up being really weird and I felt uncomfortable the whole time. Every single message I sent out was well thought out, talking about something interesting that I saw in their profiles.

I get that my experience is unusual, but it really turned me off to dating sites. I've had better luck with online gaming, haha.
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    I met my husband this way. We didn't have an "online relationship" because we met after talking for just a week or so through emails and then some phone calls. I say yay, but be safe about it! I did some things as a teenager that make me shudder to think the danger I put myself in...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Rekindled so many friendships with Facebook... we flirt hard. We hang out in person though on the regular so... I'd say preferably not online dating.

I would say online dating is for flings and activity buddies.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yay cause it allowed me to date men in different countries but nay cause I don't like long distance ish..
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

Why not? Is this some sort of girl code? Is there a criteria you use of who is worthy to ignore and who isn't lol?

Just curious. In my profile, I had put specifically some disqualifiers...things that would make us 'not fit'. There wasn't many by the way...only two, but if they ignored them and messaged me anyhow (other than polite conversation, which I always reply to)...that is the only reason I didn't reply.

Other than that...yes, I responded to everyone...even those I wasn't interested in. Common courtesy and all.

when I was on the dating website, I did respond to every message. So I can't say why you shouldn't, but I do know that because I did respond, my profile was updated to "responds frequently" so I started getting more and more of the crazies coming out and feeling brave.

Maybe that's why?

I still responded though. The polite in me just can't not.