Online Dating, Yay or Nay

Options

Replies

• BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lol before online dating existed going back 13 years i actually met my OH through a random txt msg. He didnt know me, i didnt know him. We had some mutual friends. After some on & off years & many more years down the line we have 3 beautiful kids together :smile: I say go for it you only live once
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Llast guy i met online i didnt bring around my friends because i didnt want to deal with all the questions and having to make something up.

Psycho bipolar girl (experience #2 for those that read my last post) did the same thing to me. Not saying you're psycho or bipolar lol...but any relationship that you have to keep from your friends is pretty much doomed from the onset :).
  • Rothwilder
    Rothwilder Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Online dating for men: Send out 10,000 letters. Get one response.

Online dating for women: Receive 10,000 letters. Respond to only hottest guys.

So perfect :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    ot so much

A man with a great taste in beer, facial hair, and a geeky side that makes me swoon... yes. That's hawt.

also big noses... I love a man with a great nose...
    It seems you do have some aesthetic attributes you find attractive - why try to exclude men that have the same?

Sure; start now; you might find the man of your dreams.
    But, I wouldn't exclude all men that find slimmer women attractive when that's what you're aiming for!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I met my current "Friend" online. He is very sweet and we have been seeing each other for 8.5 months now. Just be careful there are a lot of weirdos in the world! Although, surprisingly I did not meet that many. :heart: :drinker:
  • lnlaue08
    lnlaue08 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm still single and have been for years. I have tried online dating because literally no time...Fulltime Student (online) work fulltime and two kids raise by myself. The area I live in is so small and the choice of guys are slim to none. If there are good guys they are all taken. Online dating is fun and my mom actually met someone off Match.com and they have been together for a year now. She is really happy and she went on so many dates. I have traveled for dates but it always cost me so it would be better if it was half and half pay. :laugh: I'm done with school this summer I'm not looking so who knows maybe someone will find me. Besides it never hurts to try something. Just be careful and meet up in restaurants and never there house until you get to know them. :tongue: Good Luck!!!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Since I'm new to this area, I use online to meet people it kind of fits into my busy schedule
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on a dating site. He stalked me for 2 months before I would even meet him but I finally did and we have been inseparable ever since :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    one of my dealbreaker questions was "Would you consider acting out a rape fantasy?" That sounded entirely too creepy for me, and I sort of figured that anyone who answered yes to that wasn't going to be a good fit for me.
    I have deliberately not answered that question for that very reason.
    As my Answer would be "Yes, but only if suggested by my partner who wanted to do it." In reality a good number of women for whatever reason DO find this a turn on. I'm not sure I would (which could be another problem with it!)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

or the ones you feel there could be a possible connection with, i.e. reading the messages and his profile.
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    Pardon if this seems like a mess but here are some thoughts on my experience:

I don't care about socializing at bars or places like that. I'm even bored the majority of time before we play on stage at bars. I just like socializing with people I know while we're doing something interactive.

I've been dating a girl I met on OKCupid for the past 3 weeks or so. She's a big gal, she makes me look thin, but I don't really care about that. I had my heart broken and torn apart by a very attractive girl in september so I was just interested in personality at this point. I didn't bother answering any of the questions on the OkCupid site and was just like "this is what I'm interested in a girl". She ended up sending me the first message and I was like "I'd be stupid not to ask her out" because it was like she had just told me she didn't do the stuff I didn't like. We've been going on dates since and we got two more dates lined up as of last night. I really like how she makes me smile and loosen/lightens me up in life... I'm tempted to give her a kiss on the cheek the next time I see her (we've been on at least 4-6 dates)

I've had some success with some women before her, even with really attractive women, but I guess I must of scared them off cause they eventually stopped talking to me. With Kaylah, she's just really easy to talk to and everybody I introduce her really seems to like her.

Note that I was also thinking before I met Kaylah that it'd be nice to have a girlfriend when I'm at my size because then I'd know it's not about looks, but about personality.

Yeah I probably won't finish this post so I'm just going to leave it as is.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options

I can't blame the ladies one bit.

If the tables were turned and men received the majority of emails, wouldn't you only respond to the best looking ladies? I'm sure most guys would.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the original poster and say that getting dressed and going for a night out on the town will yield more solid prospects than a dating site. This is definitely true for a guy, not sure what a woman's perspective is.

Sure thats cool too, but its not either/or! I go out at least 3 nights a week, but I also use online dating. Maybe its my area/age/culture, but everyone I know does both, and online dating is nothing to be embarassed about, we all talk about it openly. And actually online yields more solid prospects for me -when I meet a guy out I don't know anything about him, don't know his intentions etc. Most of the time he turns out not to be a good match or not looking for anything serious.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Dating online seems to be scetchy!! Get dressed up and go out and mingle!! Enjoy the area around you and introduce yourself to the many people around!! Smile and someone will come walking in your direction!!

I'll never understand this mentality - why is it sketchy? You know much more about people up front than you do about someone you meet at a bar. Plus the people you meet while out enjoying the area? They are online too! Sketchy people are everywhere.

I agree, I've met some sketchy women at bars. Most of the women I've met online have been pretty normal for the most part, no crazy stories to report. Most have been nice, polite, and professional. Though, I also met a few serial daters too. :grumble:

I'll agree with the original poster and say that getting dressed and going for a night out on the town will yield more solid prospects than a dating site. This is definitely true for a guy, not sure what a woman's perspective is.

I don't think this is true from a women's perspective. Maybe I'm shy, but I've never picked up a guy at a bar that I would consider dating seriously. Maybe fun for flirty night out. For me, the benefit of meeting someone online is that you may get to know them a little better before actually meeting. Not that I love online dating either. Ugh. Dating in general just sucks :laugh:
  • PRMinx
    Options

Maybe sometimes.

Although I got a note from a hot guy the other day and I ignored it. All he talked about in his profile was his exercise regime. Boring. I love to exercise, but there is so much more to life. Especially life with me.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options

Maybe sometimes.

Although I got a note from a hot guy the other day and I ignored it. All he talked about in his profile was his exercise regime. Boring. I love to exercise, but there is so much more to life. Especially life with me.

It depends on what you have in your profile too. The guy is into fitness and if he sees a mention of fitness in your profile, he's going to use that as an opener. I'm sure there's more to the hot guy than just his workout routine.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Maybe sometimes.

It depends on what you have in your profile too. The guy is into fitness and if he sees a mention of fitness in your profile, he's going to use that as an opener. I'm sure there's more to the hot guy than just his workout routine.

No, I wasn't talking about his note to me. I was talking about the profile that's out there for everyone to see.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed on it. I've known a few people who've found their SO using online dating. I've been on it for years, multiple sites, and initially had dates but now I've seen them on other sites or the ex's are coming back around.

If you can find groups for activities you enjoy doing I would suggest that as well. If you're by a major city, meetup.com, has a ton of groups to see if there's something going on that you would like to do. Or any other groups in your area.

Although I haven't had much luck myself but still have some eye candy around doing those options. It beats sitting home on a Friday night and who knows you might get some new friends.
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Online dating is a great tool. I met my new husband on a dating site back in 09, found my last 3 jobs online, and my last 3 residences online.
  • kayteebeex
    kayteebeex Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Is this really true? (I mean, obviously 10,000 is an exaggeration, but the concept). I'm a woman on an online dating site, I do NOT get many messages, and I send out quite a bit and then don't get any response. A single guy friend of mine seems to agree with you, that girls get tons and tons of messages . . . where did you guys hear this?? From women, or is it just what you're presuming?? thanks.