I want to yell NOOOOO to energy bars

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value? What does that even mean? Does that mean it's calorie free?

I have some news for you that may surprise you. A McDonald's quarter pounder patty is 100% ground beef and absolutely nothing else. They put some salt and pepper on it when they cook it. And that's it.

Calorie free? Have you even been reading what I'm writing? Have I, at any moment, said anything about or related to calories?

And like I said, you go ahead and believe the 100% ground beef stuff. This is like arguing with a religious person about their belief system. Since I'm not trying to change your mind, and it seems you're trying to prove me wrong, I'll let you think you win and you'll live happily ever after :bigsmile:

Apparently you don't know what you are talking about!!! I used to work for the place that McDonald's gets that meat from and I can assure you it is 100% ground beef. You are the one that is being stubborn and in a certain sense ignorant. Now I do agree the way McDonald's prepares them is not healthy but it is still ground beef.

Eh, he already said his belief is basically a religious one. In other words, he's not at all interested in facts or reality.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Talking about ignorants lol
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oooh burn. You sure showed us.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Misspelling an insult to someone's intelligence is always good for a laugh.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It will end when I never accidentally sleep in again and when fresh food/vegetable vending machines come in everywhere.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can almost always find a healthy meal alternative in bar form, and when you can't...

Voodoo+Bacon+Maple+BAr.png

OMG I hate you so much right now when i moved from the portland area i got sad because I miss Voodoo Donuts and now there is a maple bacon bar staring me right in the face <drool>

Don't hate me just because I'm deep fried bread covered in maple flavored sugar...and bacon.

So wrong... but oh so right!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.

I agree with this. I choose not to eat them because for that much sugar, I'd rather have a real sweet treat, not candy masquerading as health food. My problem is when people eat them truly thinking they are healthy. They aren't, however they can fit into your daily macros if that's what makes you happy.
    ^^^This. I'm not a fan of most of them, because I prefer more whole foods, and for that much sugar/carbs, I'd rather eat something that tastes great...but they've got a long shelf life, and I have been known to keep a stash of them on hand for those times I just can't make it to lunch (or I know dinner's going to be a looooong way off). I do get a little annoyed when people think they're "freebies" -- "it's a protein bar, it doesn't count!" -- but hey, everyone is responsible for their own decisions. It is disheartening, though, how many people don't understand how to read a nutrition label, or what those numbers mean. I've known people who eat 3-4 protein/energy bars a day as snacks and don't understand why they're gaining weight instead of losing.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.

I agree with this. I choose not to eat them because for that much sugar, I'd rather have a real sweet treat, not candy masquerading as health food. My problem is when people eat them truly thinking they are healthy. They aren't, however they can fit into your daily macros if that's what makes you happy.
    ^^^This. I'm not a fan of most of them, because I prefer more whole foods, and for that much sugar/carbs, I'd rather eat something that tastes great...but they've got a long shelf life, and I have been known to keep a stash of them on hand for those times I just can't make it to lunch (or I know dinner's going to be a looooong way off). I do get a little annoyed when people think they're "freebies" -- "it's a protein bar, it doesn't count!" -- but hey, everyone is responsible for their own decisions. It is disheartening, though, how many people don't understand how to read a nutrition label, or what those numbers mean. I've known people who eat 3-4 protein/energy bars a day as snacks and don't understand why they're gaining weight instead of losing.

I know people who eat 3-4 a day and look amazing :laugh:
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

I soak all my food in bleach!!! 100% clean!!!!
    Clean eating is that easy? Sweet!
  • MFPBrandy
    Options

I know people who eat 3-4 a day and look amazing :laugh:
    And I know people who live on fast food and look amazing. I'm still not tempted to try it.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

I soak all my food in bleach!!! 100% clean!!!!

why do you hate non-white food????
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    I am with you on this. If you can't pronounce just one of the ingredients it shouldn't go in your mouth!
    Weird. I mean, I couldn't pronounce "quinoa" when I first saw it, but "arsenic" is easy. That thinking could lead to one seriously effed-up diet.
    :-)
  • MuslimFitnessInstructor
    Options
    sometimes I teach 4 cycle classes in 1 day. and inbetween classes the only thing I can get ahold of to eat is a protein bar and I need to eat something before I teach as I get low blood sugar at times.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Cutting up carrots is a process - therefore, cut carrots are PROCESSED FOODS!!! This annoys me as much as the misuse of "chemicals" and "organic." Everything is made of chemicals. All the food we eat is, by definition, organic, or it isn't food. I know what folks actually mean when they use these terms, but these uses are simply wrong.
    Umm...so what quick, easy-to-use term do you prefer to use for food that doesn't have added pesticides or hormones?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Cutting up carrots is a process - therefore, cut carrots are PROCESSED FOODS!!! This annoys me as much as the misuse of "chemicals" and "organic." Everything is made of chemicals. All the food we eat is, by definition, organic, or it isn't food. I know what folks actually mean when they use these terms, but these uses are simply wrong.
    Umm...so what quick, easy-to-use term do you prefer to use for food that doesn't have added pesticides or hormones?

Unprocessed doesn't mean that it doesn't have pesticides or hormones. A raw avocado can be soaked in pesticides and still be unprocessed. A raw cut of beef can be soaked in hormones but still be unprocessed.

This is why vocabulary is important.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Even organic doesn't mean pesticide-free. You can use certain pesticides when growing organic. They actually often use multiple pesticides instead of just one, and the ones they use are often less-thoroughly studied so who knows what the effects are.

A hamburger from McDonald's is less processed than the Amy's organic, vegan meal I had for lunch today.
  • Boocakes08
    Options
    This is the best looking piece of food I have ever seen in my life!!! Does this flavor come in a protein bar?
  • Boocakes08
    Options
    You can almost always find a healthy meal alternative in bar form, and when you can't...

Voodoo+Bacon+Maple+BAr.png

OMG I hate you so much right now when i moved from the portland area i got sad because I miss Voodoo Donuts and now there is a maple bacon bar staring me right in the face <drool>

Don't hate me just because I'm deep fried bread covered in maple flavored sugar...and bacon.

So wrong... but oh so right!

This is the best looking piece of food I have ever seen in my life!!! Does this flavor come in a protein bar?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I actually agree, but I feel the same way about most processed "healthy" foods like shakes. I'm a dirty girl love my butter, cheese, and booze.

Plus those bars taste like candy to me and I can easily binge on a whole box.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    bump