I want to yell NOOOOO to energy bars

Options
15678911»

Replies

• sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Cutting up carrots is a process - therefore, cut carrots are PROCESSED FOODS!!! This annoys me as much as the misuse of "chemicals" and "organic." Everything is made of chemicals. All the food we eat is, by definition, organic, or it isn't food. I know what folks actually mean when they use these terms, but these uses are simply wrong.
    Umm...so what quick, easy-to-use term do you prefer to use for food that doesn't have added pesticides or hormones?

I don't use one because there isn't one... yet. That is why new words are created all the time - to meet a new requirement. Makes a lot more sense than trying to change the meaning of a word via continual misuse. Organic, as you want to use it is actually particularly bothersome to me - makes me want to go to the grocer's and ask where the inorganic bananas are kept.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cutting up carrots is a process - therefore, cut carrots are PROCESSED FOODS!!! This annoys me as much as the misuse of "chemicals" and "organic." Everything is made of chemicals. All the food we eat is, by definition, organic, or it isn't food. I know what folks actually mean when they use these terms, but these uses are simply wrong.
    Umm...so what quick, easy-to-use term do you prefer to use for food that doesn't have added pesticides or hormones?

I don't use one because there isn't one... yet. That is why new words are created all the time - to meet a new requirement. Makes a lot more sense than trying to change the meaning of a word via continual misuse. Organic, as you want to use it is actually particularly bothersome to me - makes me want to go to the grocer's and ask where the inorganic bananas are kept.

You can also buy organic salt... which is something I would generally not want to add to my food. But it's just sodium chloride.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My issue is not whether or not someone chooses to eat something, my issue is that something processed can out bid fresh, unprocessed food making the stuff they do less too MORE expensive. That's ridiculous.

Processed food is cheaper because manufacturers can afford to buy the unprocessed food in bulk, whereas you can't.

Sometimes prcoessed foods are not cheaper. For example, it's cheaper to by potatoes than it is to buy a box of "add water and butter to these dehydrated slices." You will spend more money, but save time.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.

Candy bars with extra vitamins and protein added? I'm always ready for that party! :laugh:

Yeah, that's exactly why I eat them!

For ~200 calories, I'd rather have a Pure Protein chocolate and peanut butter bar with 20g of protein than a couple of Reese's cups with 5g.

I wouldn't use them as meal replacements. They're just snacks.

I had one this morning! That was only because they were out of the chocolate peanut caramel ones at my store. :bigsmile:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Ugh...it's too early for a judgemental rant.

When you have 3 kids, a fulltime job, and the closest family member is 5 hours away, THEN I'll discuss food choices with you.

Absolutely this!!

I can't stand people who criticize without "walking in my moccasins". If you look at my diary on a day where I have had to work a full 8 hour day, and then provide taxi service for my kids all evening, while also attending Band concert, ball game, and providing private tutoring for my youngest, plus take at least one to the orthodontist on my lunch break, the you are going to see a protein bar or two, plus maybe a fast food lunch. These are not my first choices, but sometimes you do the best you can within your situation. So the protein bar is a better choice than a snickers, and the grilled chicken from McDonald's is better than the Big Mac, etc.

Perhaps we over scheduled working moms would benefit from some good fast easy portable cheap suggestions for eating on those days, rather than judgement.
  • pterradactyl
    Options
    I actually just had a power bar for lunch and was thinking about how unhealthy they are--its basically a candy bar, only a little more expensive. i actually think some candy bars might be better. For me, though, I have a very different relationship with a power bar than a snickers. I can eat a power bar as something quick and easy that will keep me from feeling hungry when I don't have time to eat. That's the end of it. But if I eat a Snickers bar, that's a whole different mindset, and I have found myself eating two, or three, or even six Snickers bars; or I will follow it down with a Coke and some chips and a couple Reese's cups after. Which is a problem in itself, but I would rather eat something that won't lead into a full-on binge and self-loathing. They aren't great, but at least a little better, I think.
  • sheldonz42
    Options

You can also buy organic salt... which is something I would generally not want to add to my food. But it's just sodium chloride.

That sounds suspiciously like a chemical... has to be bad.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I read lables before I buy/eat anything and don't see much healthy at all in energy bars. Mostly I see a HUGE amount of sugar!
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    All food is nutritional within the context of a balanced diet.

But not all things marketed as food are food! :wink:

This
  • sheldonz42
    Options
    All food is nutritional within the context of a balanced diet.

But not all things marketed as food are food! :wink:

This

Being serious here - what non-foods are being marketed as food?
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Unprocessed doesn't mean that it doesn't have pesticides or hormones. A raw avocado can be soaked in pesticides and still be unprocessed. A raw cut of beef can be soaked in hormones but still be unprocessed.

This is why vocabulary is important.
    As is reading comprehension -- the above was in reference to his objection to the use of the word "organic."
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Unprocessed doesn't mean that it doesn't have pesticides or hormones. A raw avocado can be soaked in pesticides and still be unprocessed. A raw cut of beef can be soaked in hormones but still be unprocessed.

As is reading comprehension -- the above was in reference to his objection to the use of the word "organic."
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the energy bars won't care all that much what you yell at them.

Don't quote me on this, though. They might get horribly depressed.
  • 4littlebees
    4littlebees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Junk-food.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    what I put in my body is MY choice, it doesn't do anything to you-other than annoy you apparently. Some people eat 100% clean, some eat 75% clean, others don't eat clean at all, to each their own

I soak all my food in bleach!!! 100% clean!!!!

lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Organic doesn't mean that either.
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like them. Promax, luna, & lara bars are my favorites.