I want to yell NOOOOO to energy bars

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You can almost always find a healthy meal alternative in bar form, and when you can't...

Voodoo+Bacon+Maple+BAr.png

OMG I hate you so much right now when i moved from the portland area i got sad because I miss Voodoo Donuts and now there is a maple bacon bar staring me right in the face <drool>

Don't hate me just because I'm deep fried bread covered in maple flavored sugar...and bacon.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can almost always find a healthy meal alternative in bar form, and when you can't...

Voodoo+Bacon+Maple+BAr.png

OMG I hate you so much right now when i moved from the portland area i got sad because I miss Voodoo Donuts and now there is a maple bacon bar staring me right in the face <drool>

Don't hate me just because I'm deep fried bread covered in maple flavored sugar...and bacon.

I will hate you! I went to a party last summer and there was bacon brownies and chocolate covered bacon..... I almost passed out from sheer excitement...... It's the fat girl in me
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I wonder which part of a McDonald's Quarter Pounder is so processed. I mean, the bun is processed..... but that's because it's bread. Bread is processed grain. I guess ketchup would be "processed" too.

So you think bread and ketchup ravage your body?

You should stop getting your information from mass media "documentaries" designed to shock you.

That's a funny statement, and of course, you're totally free to believe whatever you want to believe, even considering that "mass media documentaries" are plotting against the all mighty and healthy McDonald's Quarter Pounder. Like I said, it is perfectly fine you have that mindset. I'll stick with the idea that so called "meet" has no nutritional value. And I'll leave it there since to me it is so much worse than that.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

No, they're HORRIBLE!! I got a few flavors because every time a topic comes up "what is a good protein/nutrition bar" it seems like there are 57 answers in a row: "quest. Quest! QUEST! Quest! Quest are the BEST!"

I couldn't even finish chewing the first bite of the apple pie one, my husband tossed half the peanut butter/chocolate one and the chocolate brownie one was like chewing on semi-sweet chocolate rubber. Blech. What a waste of money.

OMG right?!?!? I was totally talked into it on these forums one day... And I could not even swallow! HORRIBLE!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest protein bars. Not sure if they are clean or not, but they are definitely not candy bars.

No, they're HORRIBLE!! I got a few flavors because every time a topic comes up "what is a good protein/nutrition bar" it seems like there are 57 answers in a row: "quest. Quest! QUEST! Quest! Quest are the BEST!"

I couldn't even finish chewing the first bite of the apple pie one, my husband tossed half the peanut butter/chocolate one and the chocolate brownie one was like chewing on semi-sweet chocolate rubber. Blech. What a waste of money.

OMG right?!?!? I was totally talked into it on these forums one day... And I could not even swallow! HORRIBLE!

Quest bars taste like poison.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I wonder which part of a McDonald's Quarter Pounder is so processed. I mean, the bun is processed..... but that's because it's bread. Bread is processed grain. I guess ketchup would be "processed" too.

So you think bread and ketchup ravage your body?

You should stop getting your information from mass media "documentaries" designed to shock you.

That's a funny statement, and of course, you're totally free to believe whatever you want to believe, even considering that "mass media documentaries" are plotting against the all mighty and healthy McDonald's Quarter Pounder. Like I said, it is perfectly fine you have that mindset. I'll stick with the idea that so called "meet" has no nutritional value. And I'll leave it there since to me it is so much worse than that.

No nutritional value? What does that even mean? Does that mean it's calorie free?

I have some news for you that may surprise you. A McDonald's quarter pounder patty is 100% ground beef and absolutely nothing else. They put some salt and pepper on it when they cook it. And that's it.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Another reason to keep my diary to myself. I don't care what you eat or drink, or what kind of exercise you do or how often. If it works and is working for you...then I am here to support you. I LOVE protein bars..I eat them when I want. I have lost 40lbs and continue to lose.
    You eat the way you want - and I eat the way I want.....
    Right on!!!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're evil but I look at the nutrition info and most of them are close to being candy bars with a lot of vitamins added in. I never buy them.

Candy bars with extra vitamins and protein added? I'm always ready for that party! :laugh:

Yeah, that's exactly why I eat them!

For ~200 calories, I'd rather have a Pure Protein chocolate and peanut butter bar with 20g of protein than a couple of Reese's cups with 5g.

I wouldn't use them as meal replacements. They're just snacks.
    DITTO!!!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The Pure Protein bars used collagen for the main protein source. I'm not sure it's very good.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value? What does that even mean? Does that mean it's calorie free?

I have some news for you that may surprise you. A McDonald's quarter pounder patty is 100% ground beef and absolutely nothing else. They put some salt and pepper on it when they cook it. And that's it.

Calorie free? Have you even been reading what I'm writing? Have I, at any moment, said anything about or related to calories?

And like I said, you go ahead and believe the 100% ground beef stuff. This is like arguing with a religious person about their belief system. Since I'm not trying to change your mind, and it seems you're trying to prove me wrong, I'll let you think you win and you'll live happily ever after :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Antagonizing for the sake of it...

Just ate a Zone Perfect chocolate and peanut butter protein bar! Mmmmmm!

*listens for distant screaming*

:laugh:

Check my diary. I had two bars for my lunch today. I'm working on a project and couldn't be bothered to fix/buy a hot lunch today.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Peppermint Chocolate Luna bar. Once every couple of weeks, I have one. Yum!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Calorie free? Have you even been reading what I'm writing? Have I, at any moment, said anything about or related to calories?

And like I said, you go ahead and believe the 100% ground beef stuff. This is like arguing with a religious person about their belief system. Since I'm not trying to change your mind, and it seems you're trying to prove me wrong, I'll let you think you win and you'll live happily ever after :bigsmile:

You said "no nutritional value." That, to me, would mean no nutrients. Well it turns out that fat, carbs, and protein are actually nutrients that have nutritional value.

I'm glad you recognize that your opinions about McDonald's 100% ground beef patties are more like religious beliefs than actual facts.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. If you can't pronounce just one of the ingredients it shouldn't go in your mouth!

Of course, this could be more of a vocabulary issue....
  • aurora4124
    Options
    I apologize if someone already responded, I haven't been through the whole thread - but it makes a HUGE difference if you heat them 15 seconds as suggested. Completely changes the texture of it. But I will agree - the chocolate flavors are awful, it's got that "fake chocolate" taste to it. I love the vanilla almond and the PB & J flavors. The new banana nut is pretty good too if you like banana. I eat a Quest bar every day for breakfast.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I like the ones with all the nuts in them...the ones that are pretty much pure nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, etc) with some gooey coating on them. I don't eat them often, but I don't see the harm in them every once in awhile. In fact, I kinda want one now...lol

mmmmmmmm I like me some gooey nuts too....

......wait!?!?!?

wrong thread
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options

You said "no nutritional value." That, to me, would mean no nutrients. Well it turns out that fat, carbs, and protein are actually nutrients that have nutritional value.

I'm glad you recognize that your opinions about McDonald's 100% ground beef patties are more like religious beliefs than actual facts.

Now boys............... don't make me pull this car over!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be retired and/or not have a life to eat non processed foods all the time.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I think you have to be retired and/or not have a life to eat non processed foods all the time.

No bread, no ground beef, no tofu, no cheese, no butter.... sounds pretty silly.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Apparently you don't know what you are talking about!!! I used to work for the place that McDonald's gets that meat from and I can assure you it is 100% ground beef. You are the one that is being stubborn and in a certain sense ignorant. Now I do agree the way McDonald's prepares them is not healthy but it is still ground beef.