WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    for those of you that asked most of my exercise comes from walking and jogging on my treadmill. I watch a lot of TV. I used to just sit and watch for hours. Now I walk for hours. I am on the treadmill for a minimum of two hours a day and up to four hours. my calorie burns vary based on speed, effort, and incline. I walk between 5 and 10 miles a day. I also do Turbo Jam workouts and I am currently doing the 6 week challenge on EA Active for the Wii. If the weather is nice I work in the yard and very rarely I clean. I avereage 5 hours of recordable cardio per day M-F.

In June I am starting a new routine with ChaLean EXtreme for strength training and Zumba DVD's for cardio . I need to get the weights for the strength training and I don't have the funds right now. I also want to roller skate and bike on the weekends if the weather gets nice. ( I made DH promise) DH did sign up for a walking competition at work so I will walk with him when I can. I will continue to walk because now I feel guitly for watching TV unless I am walking on the treadmill. So DH gets home from work and fixes a cocktail and plops down to watch the game and I watch with him while I am walking. Well at least its working.

I hope you are all having a great day.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :frown: I am in a very delicate situation with daughter # 2. She and her husband have been approved to buy a house through a Massachusetts program.:flowerforyou: My husband and I told them that we were going to put some serious money towards the down payment to help them, as it’s their first house. :flowerforyou: We have already signed paper saying that we are going to make this contribution.:smile:
    Today, she gets a call from her realtor saying that Massachusetts has changed some of the stipulations and both she and her husband have to have 3 credit cards (each) showing good credit in order to qualify. :noway: Being the good steward she is, she only has one.:frown: Her husband has 3 and has very good credit. :happy: So now they either don’t qualify as a couple:cry: ………OR the house is put in her husband’s name alone.:explode: This means, she has squat (legally speaking).:angry: If they DON’T do it that way, she may have to give up getting this house that she has her heart set on. :sad: My SIL is the best!!! :love: :love: We love him as if he were our own son……HOWEVER….. THIS, TO ME….IS LEAGAL SUICIDE! :noway: Our money, earmarked for HER will now have to go to our SIL to buy the house under HIS name.:explode: How awkward is that!!!:embarassed: I know how old fashion they are, and to them, divorce is never an option, but no one knows the future.:ohwell: By saying we’re pulling out now….is like saying to my SIL….you are NOT family…or we don’t have faith that your marriage will last…etc etc. and we love him sooooo much! :brokenheart: But as my husband is saying “It’s not going to happen” if these new stipulations are for real. :frown:
    I am trying to stay calm and plan on looking into this matter more by getting more information.:flowerforyou: Just maybe she didn’t have ALL the information. I don’t want to alienate this daughter (&SIL) that I’m so close to….but I can’t go alone with the plan unless she is legally entitled to this property via a will or something, in the event something happens to him or their relationship.

BirdieM:embarassed: :grumble: :angry: :explode: :cry: :brokenheart:
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Evening ...me again.
    I've admitted to being just over on the calories but ...have just got out the Latino tone DVD and have now earned a few more.
    :frown: Phew!! now I think I know what caused the "Rotator Cuff Tear" in my shoulder ...but this time I was forewarned and went easy on the arm movements. Am still taking the tablets and going easy ..especially on ironing which ...wait for it ...:bigsmile: creases me up!!!!
    Tomorrow it's definitely Zumba class. ...gotta work off those ice creams somehow!!

The DVD's still running as I post ....there on Salsa now and I'll get back to it shortly ...honest!!

:frown: BirdieM ...what a dilemma!! Is there any way your daughter can ,prior to the purchase, arrange a separate legally binding agreement with your SIL, giving her joint ownership once the housing purchase has been completed??? I don't envy your decision ...hope it works out!!
    DH and I came unstuck several times , years ago, with our eldest son ...we acted as guarantors when he purchased a car and ended up making payments for him when he failed to make them .Money was "lent" but forgotten. In the end when they couldn't manage, we 'd pay for groceries but wouldn't give them money direct ( to go up in cigarettes etc) Now as a family ...they're doing ok but have to be careful with their pennies. My DIL was the one that pulled them through. We did manage to help out our other son too ..with the financial logistics of his last house move. They got stuck in the drastic fall in house prices mid sale and purchase.We worked out we "own" one of the bedrooms at the moment ...that's dwindling down to the downstairs loo shortly when the bulk of the bridging loan is repaid!!!
    We were glad to be able to help both of them ...wish we could do more sometimes.
    Anyway ....
    The DVD's on a floor workout now ...:noway: I'll give that a miss I think, as you have to lay on the floor ....I can't get down, let alone get up on my own!!! DH doesn't come back from work til 11pm .

:happy: I'm off now to try the "Tango Tone" ... looks good

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Sorry to talk about food when people are having crisis but I found this and I thought I'd share because it explains EVERYTHING!
    Is it that time of the month? Women are most likely to binge or overeat in the two weeks prior to their periods if they've ovulated (most women on the Pill do not ovulate).

Menstrual flow is triggered by the secretion of progesterone, which is thermogenic, or calorie burning. Thus, without so much as lifting an extra three-pound weight -- or finger, for that matter -- your body burns more calories than it does during the rest of the month, and your hunger kicks in to compensate.

In a study at the University of British Columbia, women ate an average of 260 extra calories a day when they were ovulating.

Yes, we burn more calories a day when we ovulate! No wonder I have these feeding frenzies right about then. And, the fact that it happens only every other month or so probably means I'm starting not to ovulate all the time so maybe I'll finally get to menopause after all! :laugh:
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I have a HRM question. When I first put my info in it, age, weight, etc, it automaticaly (looks wrong) said my low heart rate zone was 108 and my high rate was 141. Do I leave it like that or do I change it? I am alittle confused because the booklet that came with it has 3 different levels, low intensity, med. intensity, and high intensity. The high intensity is more than 141 for my age. I have been leaving it like it is because of the lung issues. I get confused easily :grumble: :laugh:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Evening everyone

:heart: Just a quick post tonight as it is getting very late and I am so tired.

:drinker: Quick update on my uncle, he is now feeling much better and has started eating again ( and getting out of bed) so I think he is finally on the mend. :smile:

:flowerforyou: Welecome Newbies. This is a great group of ladies.

:smile: I think I've lost 1lb since my last weigh in, but I like to leave it a few days to make sure. If I am the same weight tomorrow morning I will add it to my ticker, that will be 7lb I've lost. That's half a stone !! :bigsmile: I can't believe it. Don't think I look any slimmer yet but my trousers have a little more room in the "derrier" wish I could lose it of my tum though :frown: But I am very pleased, when I weighed myself at the weekend I had put on 1lb so my weight does seem to go up and down .

:drinker: Keep up the good work everyone

Chat again soon

:heart: Viv :heart:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's probably using the 220-your age formula. This formula works for some people but not for a lot of people. OTOH, unless you know your max heart rate by having it tested, it's probably better than nothing.

There are some ways to test your max hr without paying a lot of money or using high tech equipment, but they are limited by your fitness.

In case you weren't told this: Your max heart rate is set genetically and can't be changed by changing your fitness, though it does go down with age. Your max hr is the maximum amount your heart will beat no matter what, not the max you should exercise at. You should pretty much never go all the way to your max HR -- it's dangerous!

In my case, 220-my age = 168. But I've seen my heart rate go over that and I wasn't even close to dying. Also, I had a cardiac stress test and they said 77% of my max heart rate was 144. Which would make my max heart rate 187. A cardiac stress test is actually a pretty good way to measure your max heart rate so 187 is what I use. Otherwise, I'd use 177 which is the highest I've ever seen it go on a HRM while working out.

Anyway, it really only matters if you are going to train by your HR. I don't very often. I used my HR on the bike portion of my Half-ironman to help pace myself, and I use it to calculate calories, but that's about it. The rest of the time I use something called Rate of Perceived Effort (RPE) instead. And, for running, I use paces.

The idea that you should train in a certain HR zone and you will burn more fat is actually a myth, which is part of why I don't do it. The harder you work out, the more calories you burn and the more fat you will burn overall (i.e., over a 24 hour period) even if you are temporarily burning more fat during your exercise at certain rates of exertion. And overall is what counts!

I hope that helped and didn't just confuse the issue. :happy:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    :frown: I am in a very delicate situation with daughter # 2. She and her husband have been approved to buy a house through a Massachusetts program.:flowerforyou: My husband and I told them that we were going to put some serious money towards the down payment to help them, as it’s their first house. :flowerforyou: We have already signed paper saying that we are going to make this contribution.:smile:
    Today, she gets a call from her realtor saying that Massachusetts has changed some of the stipulations and both she and her husband have to have 3 credit cards (each) showing good credit in order to qualify. :noway: Being the good steward she is, she only has one.:frown: Her husband has 3 and has very good credit. :happy: So now they either don’t qualify as a couple:cry: ………OR the house is put in her husband’s name alone.:explode: This means, she has squat (legally speaking).:angry: If they DON’T do it that way, she may have to give up getting this house that she has her heart set on. :sad: My SIL is the best!!! :love: :love: We love him as if he were our own son……HOWEVER….. THIS, TO ME….IS LEAGAL SUICIDE! :noway: Our money, earmarked for HER will now have to go to our SIL to buy the house under HIS name.:explode: How awkward is that!!!:embarassed: I know how old fashion they are, and to them, divorce is never an option, but no one knows the future.:ohwell: By saying we’re pulling out now….is like saying to my SIL….you are NOT family…or we don’t have faith that your marriage will last…etc etc. and we love him sooooo much! :brokenheart: But as my husband is saying “It’s not going to happen” if these new stipulations are for real. :frown:
    I am trying to stay calm and plan on looking into this matter more by getting more information.:flowerforyou: Just maybe she didn’t have ALL the information. I don’t want to alienate this daughter (&SIL) that I’m so close to….but I can’t go alone with the plan unless she is legally entitled to this property via a will or something, in the event something happens to him or their relationship.

BirdieM:embarassed: :grumble: :angry: :explode: :cry: :brokenheart:

Birdie - This may be easier than you think. Have your SIL draw up a will leaving the house to your daughter if anything happens to him and he sells the house, she gets 1/2 of the equity. This should not insult him as it legally protects her if he should die in an accident.. We are having to do some fancy will work over some stuff here which is why I know about it.

Good luck.

Jeannie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Laura - here is my DD's core rehab program:

Marching - lie on your back lower level is just raise each leg so that it is parallel with the floor. 10 raises each leg
    When you get to where you can do 30 easily, start extending each leg after you raise it, then pull it back and down. The trick is to go slow.

Abdominal curls - lie on your back with legs bent, feet on the floor. Hands behind your ears, elbows out. Curl up getting your shoulders off the floor. 10 time, again get up to 30. This one never changes.

Side Planks with bent knees - Lie on your side up on your elbow, upper hand on side. Legs bent back at the knees, make sure your body is in a straight line. Raise your hips off the ground. Start with 5 on each side and get up to 30. It never gets over 30.

The exercises are done every day for 10 weeks then 3 times a week.

Pretty easy and quick, but it sure made a difference.

Later,

Jeannie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    A while ago we spent some time at a KOA and I remember seeing this couple who had a dog. The dog got sprayed during the night by a skunk. Evidentally, the skunk also sprayed their tent. That night the people had bought a lot of tomato juice and were bathing the dog. The tent went into the garbage.

We pick PJ up today at 4:30. I swear, that is one tough kitty. Every time I'm afraid he's down, he bounces right back. Regardless of his age. We've been concerned so many times, when he first was diagnosed with the diabetes, some scares related to the diabetes, then needing the radioactive isotope, now this. But he always pulls thru. Amazing!

Getting back into my routine today. I didn't exercise for the last two days, but did Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones tape today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a water aerobics class.

Welcome mcty! All's you need to do is pop in here and post, we love hearing from everyone.

Picked up PJ. We're still waiting for the pathology results, but it appears that it was just a mass around his intestines. We do have to keep him in a bathroom for 14 days (this should be VERY VERY interesting). He has medicine for those days, an antibiotic and a pain pill. We take him back to our vet to remove the stitches/staples (haven't even seen him long enough to know which it is) removed in 14 days.

Oh Birdie - I certainly don't envy you in your situation! I don't know what I'd do. I don't kow all the legal implications. Maybe you need to talk to a lawyer? Perhaps you and your dh can also be owners, letting SIL and your daughter live there? This way, should something happen to the marriage, she can still get your share of the house.

Viv - glad to hear your uncle is doing better.

Have a great night everyone!

Michele
    who is almost afraid to log her food for the day
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Birdie--

Regarding the home purchase--Michelle hit the nail on the head. You need a lawyer--preferably one who is well versed in "family law" and real estate practices in the state of MA. This is too important for anyone to assume the problem can be solved just by making a will. Good luck!!

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: We got home safely, went out to lunch (chicken curry, yum yum), ran errands, picked up the mail, unpacked, did four loads of wash, mopped and waxed and vacuumed, watched "Dancing With the Stars" and are ready to collapse but somehow I managed to walk 10,000 steps.....back to line dance tomorrow.......we pick up the pet tomorrow and all will be back to normal.
    :heart: Barbie
  • donna56
    Options
    Good moring ladies! :flowerforyou: How is everyone doing today? I am feeling pretty good for some odd reason lol :happy: I usually wake up somewhat grumpy in the morning until I have my 2 cups of coffee :drinker: , but this morning I woke up happy and energetic :drinker: Maybe because it's not supposed to rain today and I actually slept pretty decently. I don't know what I am going to do today for excercise, but I have to get some laundry done and that involves carrying laundry baskets full of clothes up and down the stairs to and from the basement. I think I may put in some old Supremes cd's and dance my calories off today :tongue:

Viv... Glad your uncle is up and about and feeling better.

MacMadame.... Thanks for the info. Some helped and yes some left me saying "huh?" :huh: lol. I am so not into technical stuff :laugh:

Birdie.... I wish I could offer some advice, but I don't have a clue. An attorney would probably be a good idea though.

Michele.... I am glad PJ is home and is doing alot better. Your story about a dog getting sprayed by a skunk brought back a nightmare for me :grumble: :happy: I used to have a beautiful collie named Lady. She got sprayed in the face by a skunk. I can't even tell you how many tomato juice baths we gave her, 3 or 4 I think, anyway, it didn't help that much and she walked around with her white fur stained with an orange tint for a couple of weeks!! :grumble: You couldn't smell the skunk smell until it rained or it was humid outside. That stayed like that for about 4 or 5 months!! It was summer time so we smelled that smell quite abit. :laugh:

Barbie.... Glad you made it home safely.

Well I guess I'll get off of here so I can get this day rolling. ( before I change my mind :laugh: )
    Everyone have a good day:flowerforyou:

Donna
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice regarding my DD/SIL. :flowerforyou: My husband and I talked about it last night and decided to look into getting a Massachusetts lawyer, as some have suggested. :smile: My DD sent me an email this morning me assuring me of the divorce laws that say, in the event of a divorce, all assets are divided etc. etc. :indifferent: I'm not taking any chances. :ohwell: Getting a lawyer is the plan and I'm sure my SIL will understand:love: .....I hope.:ohwell:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :heart: Tis Wednesday!

Denise-:drinker: good job on making that goal and losing #2!

Kackie - I too am with you on not sure I'll be meeting my May goals:cry: Since we will be gone the last week it's sure to be hard for me to stick to what I KNOW I need to do.

Robin- Your walking all those miles on the tread mill is truly inspiring:drinker: We too have a TV in the basement with all the exercise equipment, I just have a hard time doing that for more than a half hour at a time:ohwell:

BirdieM- Boy talk about a rock and hard place:huh: that has got to be the stupidest law I've ever heard of, but then when it comes to money and who ever makes these laws no one said they had to be logicial:grumble: will keep you and your sistuation in my thoughts and prayers so that you make the right decision. Jeannie's suggestion of the will is a great way to deal with it too:flowerforyou: but getting a lawyer to guide you thru this would probably be the best all around.

Jackei- reading your response to BirdieM reminded me that we too have "loaned" money to Son #1 and DIL so that they could buy their house, they live in Las Vegas (and we all know that the housing market there is the worst in the nation), they are now upside down with their loan, they have missed many payments that we had to help them on making them up, their credit is in the dumpster and because our name is on the line with them so is our's and boy is my hubby mad about that. It's done and we can only move on from here as hard as that is:ohwell:

Viv- Yeah! that your uncle is finally on the mend! and Congrats on that #1 lb...will keep my fingers crossed that it sticks for a few days and you are able to "officially" claim that loss:drinker:

Jeannie - Thanks for that I emailed it to myself so I can do that at home:drinker:

Michele - so glad that PJ will be home (even if it's in a bathroom) and will be recovering from the surgery:flowerforyou: Surely it's that 9 lives thing going on with him!:wink:

Barbie- Welcome home:flowerforyou:

With us trying to get ready to leave town on Friday, we have been working late and not getting in our exercise at night:grumble: Have tried to stay within the calories and so far so good, but I had really hoped to be better then this when we leave. So I guess I too won't be meeting those May goals unless a miracle takes place in Oregon and the food isn't as good as I remember it and that exercise comes into my life while we are there.

I have a lot to get done on this desk to get out of town so I'd best get to it. Everyone have a good day :flowerforyou:

Laura:smile:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    If this is a duplicate, please forgive, having some trouble with mfp this am. :tongue:

Thanks Jeannie, for the core rehab post.

Size 8 what motivation! Guess what I did this morning too? In orig post mentioned "bridges" are these the yoga bridge that looks like a pelvic lift but holding at the top?

I'm WAY behind in the posts, but how about a 2-week core rehab challenge?

I'm gonna update my gut'n'butt measurements today and see what 2 weeks can do. Anybody else?

:bigsmile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I slept wrong last night and I have a crick in my neck. I need to move to get it to loosen up. It sure is making me cranky. I hope you all are having a better day so far.
  • donna56
    Options
    Good morning all, I slept wrong last night and I have a crick in my neck. I need to move to get it to loosen up. It sure is making me cranky. I hope you all are having a better day so far.

ibuprofen! I use it probably more than I should but it sure helps.
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Hope you are all having a good day.

Kackie – I agree that sometimes you just need to listen to your body and rest up a bit but it sounds like you getting right back at it.

Robin – you are so good with your exercise. We have a treadmill but unfortunately don’t have enough space to use it since we moved to our smaller house. Hope your neck is feeling better.

BirdieM – I wish I had some advice to give but I think you are going the right way seeking appropriate legal advice.

Jackie – watch what you are doing with that shoulder and I would definitely give ironing a miss if I were you.:smile:
    MacMadame – don’t know what my excuse for overeating is then because I’m already there. :laugh:

Donna56 – that HRM sounds too complicated for me. I’m with you on the technical stuff.

Viv – glad to hear your uncle is feeling better now. Well done on your weight loss!:flowerforyou:

Michele – Glad to hear PJ has survived another scare and is home to recuperate.

Barbie – Glad to hear you’re safely home.

Laura – Hope you have a fabulous trip to Oregon.

We’ve had a nice day today. We went and bought some flower plants to put in Dad’s garden to brighten it up. DH then took me out to the pub for lunch. I had a hot roast beef sandwich and a diet coke so it could have been worse. I did manage to avoid the hot waffle with caramel and ice cream that was calling my name. :laugh: Then we went for a wander around the shops but I didn’t buy anything. It seems a bit pointless to buy too much when I’m hoping to lose more weight. I have plenty of things that are too small for me in the wardrobe. :blushing: Well it’s almost time to start dinner so I’ll say bye for now.
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Evening All ....

I've just come in from the Zumba class ...quite a workout but such fun. Being short I can't quite see the legs and feet of the instructor ...no, I'm not standing at the front!, ...:laugh: so I make it up as I go along some of the time!! But, at least i'm moving!!!
    It's a bit strange when they get to arm and hand movements ...very hard to just do one side. a bit like the thing where you rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time!!!
    :frown: I took the paracetamol and Ibuprofen before I went ...so it wasn't too bad. This hand ,arm & shoulder thing is very strange as silly things like the ironing, holding a sewing needle, using a keyboard ...oops!....can hurt ! Doing / undoing a bra up ...well!! :laugh: DH always asks if he can help ...wonder why!! Definitely no cleaning high up either...I wonder how long this can keep going for...LOL!
    But ...it is a pain! No quick fix.

:smile: I'm well within the calories today ...again and hope the scales will indicate this tomorrow. If not ...they're out the window or on the car boot sale!!!

:smile: We had a visit ..at last ...from the occupational health lady ...re getting my mum home. She measured up for the bed, wheelchair access etc. Next step the social services to arrange a care package etc. Today, Mum was again , cheerful and bright in her world and seems to have been on an even keel for several days now.... hopeful at last.

Anyway ...I'm off to find something to fill a little hungry gap I have ...and to log it ...honest!
    Keep posting folks ...great to hear how you're all doing .
    BFN
    :heart: Jackie