WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started and feel happy to have found this group.

:flowerforyou: Welcome! :flowerforyou: You will find lots of support and inspiration here.

Rose, I am thinking about you and little Connor.

Donna, thank you for sharing about your children. You are a brave woman. It can be healing to share some of the pain. I can vouch for the fact that raising children is not for sissies.

☼ It was a beautiful day in paradise today and I went bowling with some friends this afternoon. Then out for some yumyums and a walk by the sea. Have not caught up on all the posts, but do try to read them all. I am so impressed with how you all tackle your lives and yet keep your sense of humor. You are a strong bunch of women!

My TV broke down so I can't do my dance DVD for now, but if the weather co-operates I will ride my bike to work again. If not, I will hit the gym. Notice I say WILL and not SHOULD. I want to be firm in my resolve.

Hope everyone has a great week and will make good choices.

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Rebel Renny writes:

My TV broke down so I can't do my dance DVD for now, but if the weather co-operates I will ride my bike to work again. If not, I will hit the gym. Notice I say WILL and not SHOULD. I want to be firm in my resolve.

Hope everyone has a great week and will make good choices.

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:

Hi Rebel
    I use my laptop whenever I'm not near a TV - - you can create a playlist of videos on YouTube - - including exercise videos,
    Here's how to make a playlist on YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByejGXr6Zw
    Here's an example of an exercise video on YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1pKgxBw238
    Take a group of exercise videos you like, string them together in a playlist and voila. You're all set.
    Of course this requires a laptop, or having your computer near some open space.
    And speakers.
    :happy:
    Randy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All:flowerforyou:

Michelle,
    Saying a prayer for PJ, and for you and yours. I know you will do what is best for PJ, but I feel your pain.

Renny,
    Loved your comment about "not"--how true it is. Told myself today, I will NOT have two beers. It must have worked--I had THREE:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Wait a minute..maybe it DIDN'T work so well after all...:blushing:

Donna,
    Sounds like your kids gave you plenty of challenges when they were growing up and haven't stopped doing so.

For what it's worth, you might look into the support group associated with AA. I realize your son is still drinking, but this group, called Al-Anon, is for FAMILY members--not the person with the drinking problem. The website for more info is :
    http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/english.html
    They can help you deal with how his issues are affecting you, and it is anonymous, and, as far as I know--free.

As far as your 36 yr old daughter is concerned, a swift kick to her posterior is probably out of the question,:noway: but I bet it would make YOU feel better!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Seriously, I don't have any brilliant advice for that situation. Maybe she will get older and wiser and realize life is more than material things. We can only hope. Good luck!!
    Today I spent a pleasant afternoon at a riverside tavern/restaurant with some friends enjoying the sunshine and a little beer on their patio. The crows are very bold. As the waitress brought our fish and chips, one of those pesky birds dived toward the plate in an attempt to steal a french fry!!!:noway: Guess he was trying to help me avoid temptation, but I had already planned to let one of my dining mates have the fries. I ordered a side salad and a baked potato to go with my fish.

I took advantage of the one day sale they had today at Sears. About 2 wks ago I purchased flax colored jacket that was 1/2 price. At the time, I noticed they had slacks in the same material, but I decided to pass, as I was afraid they would end up too big, and they were full price. Today, with them being 1/2 off + 20% off
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello All:flowerforyou:

Michelle,
    Saying a prayer for PJ, and for you and yours. I know you will do what is best for PJ, but I feel your pain.

Renny,
    Loved your comment about "not"--how true it is. Told myself today, I will NOT have two beers. It must have worked--I had THREE:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Wait a minute..maybe it DIDN'T work so well after all...:blushing:

Donna,
    Sounds like your kids gave you plenty of challenges when they were growing up and haven't stopped doing so.

For what it's worth, you might look into the support group associated with AA. I realize your son is still drinking, but this group, called Al-Anon, is for FAMILY members--not the person with the drinking problem. The website for more info is :
    http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/english.html
    They can help you deal with how his issues are affecting you, and it is anonymous, and, as far as I know--free.

As far as your 36 yr old daughter is concerned, a swift kick to her posterior is probably out of the question,:noway: but I bet it would make YOU feel better!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Seriously, I don't have any brilliant advice for that situation. Maybe she will get older and wiser and realize life is more than material things. We can only hope. Good luck!!

rolaurent,
    Welcome!!!
    Today I spent a pleasant afternoon at a riverside tavern/restaurant with some friends enjoying the sunshine and a little beer on their patio. The crows are very bold. As the waitress brought our fish and chips, one of those pesky birds dived toward the plate in an attempt to steal a french fry!!!:noway: Guess he was trying to help me avoid temptation, but I had already planned to let one of my dining mates have the fries. I ordered a side salad and a baked potato to go with my fish.

I took advantage of the one day sale they had today at Sears. About 2 wks ago I purchased flax colored jacket that was 1/2 price. At the time, I noticed they had slacks in the same material, but I decided to pass, as I was afraid they would end up too big, and they were full price. Today, with them being 1/2 off + 20% off on top of it, I couldn't pass them up. Amazingly, this was a slack with a zipper at the waist and I managed to squeeze into a 12, yet again. The fabric is a little stretchy, and I figure they should fit through most of the summer.

So long for now,

Barb

It would be nice to wait until I am at goal before buying anything beyond some jeans and t's and shorts, but I have to have a business-appropriate wardrobe while I am losing, so I am putting together things that will coordinate well and get me through the summer.

To anyone that I didn't comment directly to, it was not out of disinterest--just running out of energy.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    To Donna and our other dog lovers, I am posting below the 2nd part of the what people foods that are good to feed your dog. Maybe that new puppy will benefit.
    Here is a link to the page:
    http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/10-more-people-food-dogs/9241

"10 More "People" Food for Dogs
    Food you can share with your dog
    By By Laura Scott and Elizabeth Pask
    Are you looking for more ways to add a bit of excitement to your dog’s mealtime? Or are you looking for new ideas for tasty treats? Well look no further! Here are ten more people foods that will give you just what you’re looking for and will help boost your dog’s nutrition.

1. Rice is good to feed when your dog has an upset tummy and needs a bland meal. There are a variety of different types of rice. Brown rice is a little higher in protein and a little lower in fat when compared to white rice. White or instant rice is an easily digestible carbohydrate which makes it a good source of energy when your dog has an upset tummy or if you are feeding an older dog.
    2. Squash, like pumpkin, can be added to bulk up his stool and is a good source of betacarotene (provitamin A). Hint: remove the seeds and then slice and freeze the squash to make it a fun, crunchy snack for your dog.

3. Popcorn that has been air popped with no butter or salt is a great lowcalorie treat for your dog. Popcorn contains potassium as well as the bone-building minerals phosphorous, magnesium, and calcium. So snuggle up and share that popcorn with your furry friend next time you watch a movie.

4. Lean meat (chicken, beef, or pork) with no visible fat and no added sauces or seasonings can be a great training treat or can add a bit of good-quality extra protein to your dog’s diet. Lean meat is an excellent, balanced source of amino acids, the building blocks of muscle in your dog’s body. Meat is also a great source of B vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Pyridoxine, and Cobalamine). These vitamins are involved in energy metabolism in the body.

5. Liver is available freeze-dried in most pet stores and it is a great training treat. You can also buy it fresh in the grocery store to feed at home. Fresh liver can be cooked and then baked to make your own liver treats. Liver is an excellent source of B vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, and Folic acid), Vitamin A, and Vitamin K. It is also a great source of iron. Warning: Too much liver may be toxic to dogs because of its high vitamin A content. Therefore, it is best to limit the amount of liver fed to your dog to not more than 1 g of fresh liver/Kg body weight per day.

6. Pineapple can be a special treat for your dog. Pineapple contains mostly sugar but it also contains calcium and potassium. Frozen pineapple can be a fun summer treat for your dog.

7. Cottage cheese is high in protein and calcium and it’s fairly bland, so it can be a good way to add some extra protein to your dog’s diet. Cottage cheese is a dairy product and some dogs don’t do well with dairy, so make sure you start with just a small amount.

8. Parsley has long been thought to improve doggie breath, so next time you are baking treats for your dog, try adding a few tablespoons of chopped parsley for added flavour and colour. Parsley can also be a good source of calcium, potassium, and beta-carotene.

9. Peanut butter is a healthy, high-protein treat for dogs. Try smearing some inside or on one of your dog’s toys, or let him lick out the container when it’s almost finished.

10. Peas can be added right to your dog’s food, frozen or thawed. Peas are a good source of the B vitamin Thiamin, phosphorous, and potassium.

*The foods listed above should be fed as an extra treat in addition to or as part of a balanced diet. Extra foods shouldn’t make up more than 25 percent of your dog’s diet. Just be sure to try out new foods one at a time until you’re certain that they don’t upset your dog’s stomach."

REGARDING POPCORN--may dogs have a sensitivity to corn, despite the fact that it is a common ingredient in cheaper dog food. Despite what this article says, I do NOT think it is smart to give a corn-sensitive dog popcorn, although they will probably love to eat it. My late Shih Tzu, Dreyfus was allergic to corn, and he LOVED to steal popcorn when it fell on the floor. He liked corn so much, he once grabbed a small corn cob off a discarded plate at a picnic, and swallowed it before I could stop him. He itched like crazy from the allergic reaction and then threw up the cob.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Me again.

I have had the page that this article came in sitting in a window on my desktop for days, and I keep forgetting to post it, so here it is.
    Some good hints about fighting cravings. A link to the page:
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/10-ways-to-stop-cravings.aspx

"10 Ways to Stop Cravings
    Nothing weakens diet willpower faster than craving sweet, salty, or fatty foods. Find out how to stop cravings and stay on your diet.
    By Madeline Vann, MPH
    Medically reviewed by Christine Wilmsen Craig, MD Print Email Everybody has weak moments in their diet when they can practically taste the salty, sweet, crunchy, or fatty foods they crave. Yet these are often the very foods that undermine your efforts to lose weight. After all, when is the last time you complained about craving cauliflower?

Follow these strategies to stop cravings in their tracks.

10 Ways to Stop Cravings

1. Get enough sleep. Loss of sleep increases hunger during the day, which leads to cravings. Getting the right amount of shut-eye could stop cravings.

2. Eat a healthy breakfast. For some people, cravings are part of a cycle of blood sugar highs and lows that can be kicked off almost the moment their feet hit the floor in the morning. A breakfast featuring fiber and protein is more likely to control this cycle. Consider a scrambled egg on whole-wheat bread or a turkey sandwich instead of sugary cereal or a Danish.

3. Fight hunger. “The core [to fighting cravings] is hunger suppression, since hunger amplifies other triggers,” says nutrition researcher Susan B. Roberts, PhD, a senior scientist at Tufts University in Medford, Mass.

If you often feel hungry on your diet you may want to revisit your diet plan. You might do better eating more frequent, smaller, balanced meals throughout the day or eating more of the foods that will keep you full longer, like whole grains and vegetables.

4. Eat meals at scheduled times. The secret to stopping cravings is to manage hunger and “only eating at set times — no casual eating,” says Roberts.

5. Budget cravings into your diet. “Craved foods can be incorporated into meals if they are used as the 100-calorie treat allowance, but only in the middle of meals, never alone as snacks, when they are too hard to control,” says Roberts, author of The Instinct Diet: Use Your Five Food Instincts to Lose Weight and Keep it Off (Workman Publishing Company, 2008).

6. Make the foods you crave difficult or impossible to get to. No matter how much you love brownies, if you don’t keep any at home or at work, chances are your craving will pass unsatisfied. Instead, make healthy alternatives easy to access in your eating plan and prepare ahead for those times when you’ll need a healthy snack within easy reach, like when you’re on the road.

7. Find healthy alternatives. If you tend to crave sweet treats in the afternoon, having a light yogurt and some fruit on hand could prevent a mad rush to the vending machine for a chocolate bar. “I think the best way to replace a craving is with something similar that has fewer calories and more fiber — you fill up on a similar taste, but the food is digested slowly to reduce craving over time,” advises Roberts.

In a pinch, you could melt a little chocolate over high-fiber cereal and have it with milk — you get the chocolate taste but with more fiber, says Roberts. If you're craving salty chips, Roberts suggests, “have some with meals — a whole-wheat sandwich and salad, not chips alone — so they are more manageable.”

8. Keep a food journal. This may not totally stop cravings, but it could keep you from acting on them if the thought of writing down the calorie and fat content of a steak is more painful than going without it. A food journal will also help you identify the times of day when your cravings are the strongest.

9. Identify your craving triggers. Emotional eating is a real phenomenon. If you pay attention, you may find that your cravings are worse when you are stressed or depressed. Managing those situations will help stop cravings.

10. Eat a varied diet. Sticking to the tried-and-true may help you count calories, but it could also leave you feeling unfulfilled. People need variety in their diets, so try new dishes or combinations of foods to stop cravings. Just because you’re on a diet doesn’t mean it can’t be satisfying.
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    I've been stuck the past 2 weeks. I stopped filing in my food diary. Have to start again. Perhaps that will help. It is easy to forget what you put in your mouth

I am discouraged and upset wit myself for falling off track.

susan
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, All, I had a fun weekend with old friends and enjoyed a beautiful outdoor wedding of another old friend's daughter, BUT I was naughty, naughty with the food...not AT the wedding but back at my own home...all weekend! My advice to myself regarding ONE glass of wine didn't take. SO...it is a new day and a new week and I have to jump right back in. I do not like that I so easy fall back to old, bad habits.:noway: :noway: :noway:

Mini: You are right about stretching that one glass of wine. I had been doing that so well until now. I am back to NO wine for a while.

Donna: I am sorry that you are struggling with your children. I think we have all been there to one degree or another over the years and I do hope that they "straighten up" and return to the fold. Hang in there!

Renny: Good to hear that you are doing so well...and good for you for sticking with the FIRST glass and not the second(unlike some folk I know....me) And I am thinking about Pink elephants still!!!

Ainsleiglen: Way to go with your good progress. You have done so, so well in just one month! The results will show.

Michele: How is PJ?

Susan: Jump right back in with me!!! Stuck is better that UP! the tracking is the key for sure

Cindy: So glad to have you back...you were missed!

Weallink: Thanks for the tips on breaking cravings...those of us who are "off" needed to read that!

Sorry not to mention everyone, but I've got to get out the door. Have a good week all...and thanks for being here, Kackie
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Susan, I must confess that I am in the same boat as you. I started this day right and intend to keep it up throughout the day. We CAN do this. Let's just keep on keeping on!!:happy: Have a great day!!:flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Did you know......

That the brain does not recognize the word NOT? We all know about the experiment of being told NOT to think about a PINK ELEPHANT, don't we? When told NOT to think about a PINK ELEPHANT, what do we see in our mind? A PINK ELEPHANT!!

For the same reason, when you say you will NOT have an O'Henry candy bar, the brain pictures an O'Henry candy bar. And mostly what the mind pictures, is what it wants. Instead, experiment with turning the negative into a positive and tell yourself: I will have a glass of water. Did you see a picture of a glass of water?

Have a great Sunday and I will turn my negatives into positives. Mary has it right when she says: "Here is to good choices"

:heart: Rebel :heart:

I love your logic!

Jeannie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post about tummy fat.

DD lost 3 sizes since her surgery on 3/15, but only lost 2 pounds. Her core routine started at 10 curls, 10 bridges and is only up to 20 curls, 20 bridges with 10 side planks (with knees down) each side. She was parading around in size 8 jeans yesterday in front of me reminding me (constantly) that size 8 is my goal size.

So, any one want to guess what I started doing this morning?

Donna - I agree with Barb's advice on finding an AA support group. It will help you with your son. The only thing that will help him is himself and there is nothing you can do about it.

I forgot to take notes - so good thoughts to the little grand baby with Jaundice. Everything should be fine in a few days.

Jeannie
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Eric & I met each other 30 years ago today. A blind date no less. We were planning on going to the zoo to get out & do something special. He even took the day off from work but its supposed to rain all day! So he is wanting to rearrange the furniture instead! That sort of thing stresses me out highly! I guess I'm not not who likes change. He has always moved the furniture around more than me and when he is finished usually I like it. But one time I did make him move it back because I just couldn't live with it. He's in the "formal living room" as Granny used to call it. I'm going to go take a shower!

Got my exercise in and have eaten healthy. I'm with the rest of you I'll take it one day at a time. I just get so tired of journaling everything. But I'm thinking that has just got to be a part of my life style because when I don't the lbs creep back on.

Well hopefully we can find something a little fun to do today.

BBL

Cindy
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm back from my camping trip.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey yourself!

Hope you had a really good time! We enjoy camping and were talking about it this morning standing out on the front porch. It's raining here and I can't say how many times we have camped in the rain! But we do have some good memories.

Cindy
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Cindy,
    Hope you enjoy your day, despite the rain and the "arrangements" you were mentioning. Welcome back to the thread. I was wondering where you had been.

MacMadame,
    Welcome back. Hope you had a dry trip.

Memo to self. REMEMBER how caffeine affects me. Last evening, since I didn't want to have another beer, and I was bored with water, I had a diet pepsi with a lemon while I was out with my friends--MAJOR mistake!! Couldn't fall asleep until about 4am, and I feel like toast this morning.:grumble: I am hoping a bath will "revive" me and help get the day started.
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Hello all! It's a gloomy day again here in "wonderful" Ohio, NOT! I can't stand days like this, makes me very lazy.:yawn:

Rebel- I am not brave lol :laugh: but you're right, raising kids are not for sissies.I just needed to vent I guess.

Barb- Believe it or not, my kids weren't too bad when they were going up, all those things happened after they left home and thought they new everything. My son is going to AA and an alcoholics counseling class that isn't doing him a bit of good because not only is he an alcoholic, is a very good smooth talker and has those people completely buffaloed. Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated very much, even the dog advice :wink:

Kackie- Thanks for the well wishes about the kids, one day they will wake up.

Well I have to run for now and get some cold meds for the soon 2 b, he sneezed a couple of times this morning and now he thinks he is dying, poor baby :sad: :sad: :sad: :laugh:
    Donna
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Just a quick check-in. Today is going to be a busy day. Another lunch, this time with a friend. But I know what's on the menu and should do fine. Plus, started off the day with a good walk. I'm definitely going to be exercising today to get back into the groove. This afternoon, I head back to Placerville. I'm always torn - love to be in the Bay Area with my family and old friends, but love Placerville too with it's open space and lower-keyed lifestyle. 'course most of the grandkids are there too!

Ainslieglen, I treasure your support and friendship too. MFP has opened up a whole new world of connections to some terrific women like you.

Donna, my sympathies to you. Raising kids is tough. Mine have all had their challenges - and sometimes still do. My older daughter needs to lose 170 pounds and my heart hurts for her. It took me so many years to get clued in about weight, it's hard to know the best way to help. (And it sure does help me empathize with MY folks!)

All we can do is love them the best we can. In some cases, that means setting healthy boundaries and sticking to them, like you are doing with your youngest. I wonder if Al Anon might help. Sometimes getting support from people who are going through similar things helps. (Like with MFP.)
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Thanks Mimi, and you keep doing what you are doing on your weightloss journey and I bet that will be a great inspiration for your daughter( oldest) I keep hoping my son is just doing a young thing and he will realize what he is doing to himself and to others but I don't know. He thinks he is "cool" like his friends, but I think his friends are " the wrong crowd". The sad thing also is that his friends atleast have jobs and he can't even keep one. I didn't mean to cry on everyones shoulder, I was just reading posts and thought I would throw in my 2 cents about my kids.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Donna- I suspect the counselors aren't bamboozled at all. If they are former addicts, they've said the same thing to their counselors and they know what BS is it. But they also know change has to come from within and there isn't much they can do about it, if he's not ready to change.

In my case, my daughter is going through what I went through at her age when I chunked up and I am doing my best to make sure she doesn't get started on yo-yo dieting and end up dieting her way into MO like I did. Luckily, society is more accepting of a bit of belly fat on a young girl these days. I am just trying to teach her good habits -- finally got her to pack a lunch for school most days instead of eating out with fast food -- and hope that when she shoots up in height at the other end of puberty, she'll slim out like I've seen so many other young girls do.

My son is rail thin and I actually worry about him more because he's a picky eater and his diet is mostly grease, salt and carbs. I keep telling him that he can't eat like that forever, but he doesn't believe me.

With both of them, I have never forced them to eat -- I don't want them to become members of the clean plate club. So they will stop eating when they are full which I think it is a major part of the battle. However, I haven't done a good job of teaching them what a healthy meal is and how to cook for themselves so they are mostly eating processed foods. We are working on that though. At dd's school, a lot of the kids are into cooking and make their own food all the time and she's learn to make a few things herself too.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the posts for the last 2 days....so I'm way behind:noway: Hope everyone is having a good day! I was up and down all weekend....food wise as well as with emotions:ohwell: Just feeling depressed...but this too shall pass!
    BirdieM:love: