WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Rebel- I want to know how you got those cute little music notes on your post
    :drinker: Kathy- where and how did you get the happy birthday graphics on your post?

► Rose - for the single note ♪ hold the alt key while hitting the 1 then 3 key on the number pad. For the double notes ♫ hold the alt key while hitting the 1 then 4. You can experiment with the alt and the different number pad keys to produce a variety of symbols ◄

► Kathy - I also want to find out how you get the graphics in a post ◄

Rebel
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone ...yet another beautiful day here in N.Wales.
    :glasses: We had the BBQ lit tonight and I did a prawn stir fry - cooked on the top in a pan. We bought a new steamer and steamed the rice and vegetables.
    Thanks for the sodium warning ...maybe that's the problem.:ohwell: I do like salty things .... oops!
    Anyway ...a quick post as i'm actually feeling sooooo... tired and am going to bed early. i planted out the bedding plants in the tubs and hanging baskets and perhaps did a bit too much! DH did his bit and pressure washed the patio ...it looks good. He had the fun job....:laugh: playing with water!!

So ...
    BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Rebel,
    Thanks for the tip about your musical notes, but on a laptop w.o a number keypad to the right, that doesn't work..just get blank space, and if you "experiment" with alt and the other keys, you can have some interesting desktop issues--in my case, windows that all popped up at once and tiled in an interesting pattern. Fortunately, I was able to undo the problem quickly!!

Robin,
    Thank you for your kind words--you and others--I feel pretty much back to normal, but for about 36 hours life felt pretty grim.

Laura,
    If you are coming to Portland, you are going to need your umbrella!! The weather is STILL nuts around here!! Safe journey.
    I just posted my breakfast and stopped in here to read the latest news. I am about to start another study session, and tonight I am going to make dinner for my mom and dad. My mom, bless her heart, feels so much better since she is doing the PT exercises each day, that she insisted she can do her own grocery shopping today (with my dad tagging along--chauffeur). I could probably do it all in about an hour, and it will take them about 2+ hours, since they don't move as fast as I do, but she likes to get out of the apartment, so I can hardly blame her. I decided she would enjoy her outing more if she knew she could take it easy later this evening, so we are having steak, salad, asparagus, and potatoes (to keep my dad happy), and strawberries for dessert.

Speaking of dads, there has been a program on the PBS affiliate out of Seattle, KCTS, that was recorded mostly in 1987, honoring the great guitar player, Chet Atkins. It featured Martin Knopfler, Michael McDonald, EmmyLou Harris, and others, and, of course, Chet Atkins. Toward the end of the program, Chet played a song he wrote about his dad called "I Still Can't Say Good-bye." It will bring a tear to your eye, regardless of whether your dad is still with you or not. When he played it, it actually brought tears to one of the band members. They had never heard the song before and it was quite moving. You can experience the song yourself. I found more than one link to it, but this one is an excerpt from the program I just mentioned, from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6xpgtOObuI

There is also a link off to the side of the above page that takes you to an instrumental w/Atkins and Knopfler, and if you appreciate good "pickins" you will like this as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk&feature=related

Well, this is not getting my studying done, so "bye" for now. The doggies are not bothering me, so I have to take advantage of the peace and quiet!!:laugh: :laugh:

Barb
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everybody;

I haven't gotten much done since I'v e been home from shopping. The muscles in my thighs are protesting 30 day Shred as well as other parts of my body.

The Drs office called and said Granny's Liver counts are elevated. Eric talked to them so I'm not really sure what that means. They said we can just check them again in a couple of months. We really aren't trying to do any life saving measures at this point. Maybe that is what is making her more tired. She does sleep a lot but that is part of the process. I know, God will take her in his time, I just want it to be sooner rather than later. It would be nice for this to be over. Although my own mother is going to have to move in with one of her children when Emily moves out of her house. I just sure would like a little break:sad: I need a long vacation!

Finished whining now. I think I'll lay down for a little and then it will probably be time to get up and help my girl exercise. I bought us that line dance exercise video today. Watched a little of it but it's not thrilling me so far.

Have stayed with in my food calories so far.

Jackie: You do have sodium in your food diary don't you? It gives me 2500 but I try to keep it under 2000. I too love the salty things but my body isn't liking it so much.

Cindy
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies (late afternoon).Whew! I just finished mowing the front half of the lawn. I burned 593 calories!!! :drinker: :drinker: Not bad for being with a chest cold huh?. I am going to upload a pic of this darn yard so no one things I am exagerating about it's size. I am just so proud of my self to be doing it. I hope the pic don't make it look small like it does on the camera! :laugh:

Sorry, had a phone call from my youngest brother. He is so depressed. His girlfriend of 15 yrs passed away a couple of months ago and he just can't seem to get over the fact the she is gone. The fact that he is a drinker doesn't help him one bit!!!!

On a brighter note, my 2nd oldest brother called me today also. He is in Cleveland for the Police memorial that is held here every year. He is a retired Chicago policeman. He did 33 yrs of service. I am sooooo happy that he made it through it all. On March 15th of this year, one of our policemen got shot and killed in the line of duty, answering a neighbor disbute. Anyway his name was honored today at the memorial. I heard all the details of that night as they were being played out because I have a scanner. Anyway, my brother called me today to tell me that he was coming by tomorrow for a visit. I haven't seen him in 4 or 5 yrs so it will be a happy day for me :drinker: :drinker: I hope he didn't ride his harley, because it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow and dummy me forgot to ask :grumble: If he did ride it, a visit will more than likely be out of the question and than I will be disappointed :cry:. By the way, I am 25 miles west of Cleveland Ohio.

Ha! I made me a hot toddy today.:tongue: I don't know if it helped or not, but it sure tasted good :laugh: Hot tea, honey, lemon, and 2 shots of rum. :drinker: Oh yeah! :wink:

Well I guess I'll go for now, just wanted to yack lol.

Donna
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Rebel,
    Thanks for the tip about your musical notes, but on a laptop w.o a number keypad to the right, that doesn't work..just get blank space, and if you "experiment" with alt and the other keys, you can have some interesting desktop issues--in my case, windows that all popped up at once and tiled in an interesting pattern. Fortunately, I was able to undo the problem quickly!!

Barb

LOL....Yes Barb. The symbol tricks are meant for the number keypad. Funny things result when you try it on the regular numbers.

:bigsmile: Just checking in quickly in-between chores. This is a long weekend in Canada and an extra long weekend for me, since I also have today off. I intend to get everything in shape in preparation for the wedding, plus going for a routine mammogram and hair appointment. Next weekend we are helping DD move, hence it all has to happen now. I will check in so now and then to see how my MFP buddies are doing.

bfn
    Rebel
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jeanne. That info helps a lot. Will be getting on the floor soon to do those...after I finish painting this table I have been working on in the garage off and on all day!

Cindy: Regarding 30 day shred...I alternate every other day with it because of the use of weights. I found my shoulder was hurting when I tried to do it every day and I think your muscles need to rest a day in between. It is amazing how quickly your body will get used to things you do NOT think it can do. And I do notice that my clothes now fit looser than when I started that DVD and I have not really lost any more weight. So...stick with it. It does work!:wink:

Hope everyone is doing well. I need to put paint brush in hand before I change my mind. Have a good evening, Kackie:heart::heart: :heart:¡£¡£¡¢¡¢ ( Renny: This is what happened when I used the alt key and 1 & 3, and 1 & 4....I have a Mac...is it different?)
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options

You do have sodium in your food diary don't you? It gives me 2500 but I try to keep it under 2000. I too love the salty things but my body isn't liking it so much.

Cindy

cindy, You know you can change that number to whatever you want just like fiber(I have my fiber set at 30). I changed my sodium goal on the goals page to say 2000 so it is easier for me to stay under. I really hate those read numbers in the food diary so it helps me. Although today is salty day. but since I lost 2.8 pounds this week I am relaxing tonight.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Evening everyone

:drinker: Just a quick hello, it's been a hot and muggy day today, sun shining most of the morning but clouded over in the afternoon, but soooooo hot.

:smile: Had a busy day and had to pop into work, Jane told me about a product recall and that my old department had called to asked if I would like to do some overtime at the weekend answering calls. I must be a glutton for punishment because I called them back and said I would go in for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. The money will come in handy though :bigsmile:
    :bigsmile: and I still have Monday and Tuesday off :bigsmile:

I have just printed out the exercises for the challenge so had better go and do them now before I get too tired. I'll try and do them slowly. Must admit my abdominal muscles are practically not existent I am useless at abdo curls. Wish me luck, I'd better find the tape measure first and take down some particulars. I'll count today as my first day and will measure again in 2 wks.

Well better go and start or I'll have lost another day.

Good Night all :heart:

Viv :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Donna - try searching on facebook for exermom@gmail.com. Hopefully, that'll get it for you. Prayers for your brother

welcome lilchook

Kathy - dh was quite upset yesterday (Thurs). I know he feels that he'd rather PJ stay at the emergency vet place rather than he come home and we have to rush him back there. Our understanding is that they gave him some anti-nausia med and he did eat some food. You know, it's very hard to tell if he's eating, he was putting food in his mouth then spitting it out. So I do hope what they observed was him really eating

Well, Vince got a call from the MD at the vet clinic today and he went over there. Seems PJ's bp dropped during the night. They did an echocardiogram on him, seems he does have some hardening around his heart, but not so much that they felt it would explain the big drop in bp. During the echo his bp again dropped. Jessica is coming here tonight, I'm sure we'll go over there after she gets here. The next step is that they're going to do some bloodwork. After that, they could take portions of his liver, kidney, etc to send to pathology. To be honest, that would entail more surgery and how much should we put this cat thru?

We're supposed to have some friends come over for dinner tonorrow night. You know, I need something to keep my mind off things. On the bright side....I have been stress cleaning. It's better than stress eating, that's for sure. Oops, slipped just now, had a bit of brownie. And I was doing so well!

Michele
  • weaklink109
    Options

Kathy - dh was quite upset yesterday (Thurs). I know he feels that he'd rather PJ stay at the emergency vet place rather than he come home and we have to rush him back there. Our understanding is that they gave him some anti-nausia med and he did eat some food. You know, it's very hard to tell if he's eating, he was putting food in his mouth then spitting it out. So I do hope what they observed was him really eating

Well, Vince got a call from the MD at the vet clinic today and he went over there. Seems PJ's bp dropped during the night. They did an echocardiogram on him, seems he does have some hardening around his heart, but not so much that they felt it would explain the big drop in bp. During the echo his bp again dropped. Jessica is coming here tonight, I'm sure we'll go over there after she gets here. The next step is that they're going to do some bloodwork. After that, they could take portions of his liver, kidney, etc to send to pathology. To be honest, that would entail more surgery and how much should we put this cat thru?
    Michele

Michele, I started to write a post to you on this subject, but decided it belonged in a PM, so I will be sending as soon as this is posted. I hope you and your family can come to an agreement about what is in PJ's best interest. My prayers are with all of you.

Barb
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm macmadame@gmail.com on Facebook.

Sorry about the cat. It's hard when pets start ailing. It used to be there was nothing we could do for them so your choices were easier. But now they can do so many things that you have to be careful you don't run up thousands in vet bills you can't afford. And how do you decide when enough is enough? I don't envy you having to make these decisions.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: Michele, while I was reading your post about PJ, my cat, Haifa, jumped into my lap, then onto the table next to the computer.......he wanted me to tell you how sad he is about PJ.....Haifa is the one who had diabetes that went into remission after some months and a lot of expensive treatments last winter.....i just spent $150 on high protein canned cat food for him so I know how much we do for our beloved pets.......no one has the right answers for your dilemma.....Haifa and I send hugs to you and PJ :heart: :heart:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Michelle my heart goes out to you.
    Bloodwork, sure. Taking portions of liver and kidney becuase they just don't know why bp is dropping?
    What will those portions tell them? I understand its not the $, wd pay all we could to assure our pets of comfortable life extension.

But you said it, how much can we put this cat through.? Waiting too long is just as bad as giving up too soon. Each case is different. Each one breaks your heart.

You, Vince and PJ are in my heart and in my prayers.

b
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Ladies if you're still up, go to www.google.com and click on the Google/pacman picture. You can play Pacman in celebration of its 30th birthday.

Sometimes simple diversions are welcome.
    b
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: We'll have 500 posts soon and this thread will be locked.......there will be a link at the bottom to Part Two.......be looking for it.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Ladies if you're still up, go to www.google.com and click on the Google/pacman picture. You can play Pacman in celebration of its 30th birthday.

Sometimes simple diversions are welcome.
    b

I neverplayed pacman in my life. It would have been nice if they had included some instructions. for how you were supposed to control the game. I know you are supposed to avoid the little multi-colored ghosts, but the little yellow pacman went pretty much wherever he felt like, and if he happened to turn in the right direction, it appeared to be accidental.:grumble: What a great gift for your 30th birthday, to be eaten by a ghost!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh:

***BTW- this is post 498, so two more and the thread will be locked, like Barbie mentioned in the prior post*****
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Hello,
    It’s another beautiful day here. I plan to plant the rest of the flowers today, shop for a few odds and ends and have a BBQ for dinner and stay within my calories. Tonight we are going to see Mark Knopfler in concert. I am really looking forward to it.

Doobiedoo – I know what you mean about mysteries. I love them.

Donna – Hope your cold gets better soon. Well done for mowing the lawn when you not well!

Robin – 2.8lbs!! That’s fantastic! Well done!

Jeannie – Happy Anniversary

Michelle – I don’t envy you having to make such difficult decisions. Our thoughts are with you.

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

I am up way too late, or early, depending upon your point of view:bigsmile: :bigsmile: --:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: BEWARE--this is the 500th post,:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: so be sure BEFORE YOUR CREATE YOUR POST click on the link showing BELOW that says "CONTINUED" so it will send you on to the part 2 & create your post there or else your message will fly off into cyberspace.

I figured I might as well post now and get everyone on track for part 2 when they come on in a few hours.

Newbies...to find the continuation of this thread, click on the link below that I mentioned, or search for it in the Motivation and Support area, same title-"part 2"--once you post it will again show in your "my topics"

Denise, I envy you, seeing Mark K...has always been one of my favorite artists.

BTW, our dinner was yummy last night. Nothing like a little rib eye to make a good dinner. And I could live on asparagus.

I am burned out from studying, and so, g'night, or morning, for now

Barb