WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Katla :smile: Glad your not grumpy anymore:bigsmile: ! Good for you stretching out those sore muscles!!! I always do stretches after I`ve had a power walk, makes my legs feel so good!

Vickil57 :smile: Hope you have a wonderful time at the retreat!

Luvbuttons :smile: Yay for getting rid of 3 pounds!!!

Teri :smile: Oh my what a handsome little man he is:love: !!!! Congrats to you and mommy and daddy!

Linda :smile: Hope DD#1 does well on her competition today! You`ve been doing a lot of gardening lately, what are you doing? I`m jealous `cause you’ve got citrus trees, wish I could get one to grow here! Thanks for the link, I`m going to check it out!

Rudie :smile: Welcome! MFP is a great place and this thread is the best of all!!! Congrats to being able to get rid of one of your pills, keep on and hopefully you`ll be able to get off all of them! The scale can be pretty discouraging at times:frown: , make sure you take your measurements, when the scale is being mean you may be losing inches!

Meg :smile: Yay, you have the weekend, and nice weather:flowerforyou: !!!

Robin :smile: So glad things worked out for you and hubby:smooched: !!! Enjoy your weekend!!

Lin :smile: Sounds like you got a nice workout in cleaning the outside of the house! Moving furniture back to the deck, springtime yay:glasses: !!!!

Brooke :smile: Sending you positive thoughts, keeping fingers crossed, and sending you a prayer for the interview on Tuesday!!! That meatloaf surprise sounds delish! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Joyce :smile: Baby steps when it comes to cooking!!! I`m not much of a cook:noway: , but I do manage these days to produce half way decent results:laugh: , trial and error, it gets better!!! I have a digital food scale and I love it, it will fit in a drawer, you`ll be amazed once you start using one, I actually was underestimating my protions!

Grandmallie :smile: Sometimes eating sweets leads to a binge:grumble: , hope your tummy feels better today:flowerforyou: !

Lauri524 :smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat away! You`ll find a lot of support here! Congrats on losing those 3 or 4 pounds, sure is better than not losing at all or eek even gaining! Ask questions and I` sure someone will have an answer for you!

Rose :smile: So nice to see you again! Sending you hugs and prayers:flowerforyou: !!!

Bj :smile: Snow…yuck! Hope the sun shines and it warms up for you!

Sue in TX :smile: Water Babes…I love it! I love the calendar idea!!! Love your new profile pic!!!

Cityjane :smile: Congrats on your NSV!!! Planks are mean:angry: !

Renny :smile: Woo hoo, its time for your 10K, I`m cheering you on:flowerforyou: !!!!

Barbie :smile: Yum, Jake made a very nice lunch!!! Enjoy teaching your dances!!!

Michele :smile: Enjoy your weekend with Jessica!!! And enjoy that fudge cake, remember to have a bite for me:laugh: !!!

Jo :smile: Don`t feel bad about not replying to everyone, we can only do so much! I would have to be on the computer two or three or more times a day to reply to everyone! Congrats to your daughter!!!

Amanda :smile: Hope you get to feeling better today:flowerforyou: !!! Sweet little Molly with the chickenpox:cry::flowerforyou: , I just hate when my granddaughters are sick, hope she feels better soon!!! Teddy will probably get them too….sometimes its better to just get it over with:cry: !

Cityjane :smile: Woo hoo!!! Congrats on getting rid of 42 pounds!!! Fabulous!!!

I had an interesting day yesterday, I stopped by the coffee shop to meet with one of my guy friends, the professor, he was sitting with another guy who looked vaguely familiar, come to find out I had actually gone out with this guy years ago, he`s 10 years younger than me:noway: , I remember feeling like his mother:laugh: , I only went out with him once because it made me so uncomfortable. He did give me nice compliments and invited me to go to a wedding he was in town for (he moved to CA), I declined the invitation, he`s still too young for me:laugh: !!!!

Hope everyone has a fantastic Saturday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cloudy with rain moving in NC
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend everyone! Whew, it was a looooooong week. Still buried under at work, taking an hour or two every night to shovel more rock and move paving stones, but I have just a tiny bit left to do in the garden, then the walkways will be finished. DH has PROMISED me he’s getting up early to go with me to get a new wheelbarrow and some other gadgets we need, then he’s set to work on his pathway and I have a mountain of mulch. I actually like spreading mulch though, so I’m looking forward to it.

Pretty decent week food and exercise-wise – got in strength training, cardio, yoga, and good foods. I didn’t buy any tortilla chips so managed to keep it pretty clean and lower-calories. I’m still plateaued – just waiting to move off the mark. In the meantime I’ll be adding in walking again this week.

CityJane, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That’s a wonderful achievement – and gives me a new title to the amount of weight I’ve lost too. You’re doing great. I’m super excited about your growing strength too – I discovered the same thing last summer – at the start I couldn’t do one pushup – now I can do lots, and pull ups . . . being strong is so wonderful!

Amanda, poor babies. It’s best they get it now and out of the way – my ex will attest to the fact that they’re no fun when you’re older lol. I remember having measles too and having to stay in a darkened bedroom for an entire week because they went into my eyes. I don’t know if I had scarlet fever – don’t think so, but I was really sick. I hope you get a break soon and start feeling perkier. Then you can flutter those sexy lashes :bigsmile:.

Jo, you’re absolutely right about the weekends. I’m trying very hard these days to make them more like the weekdays so I don’t ruin all the good work during the week. Congrats to your DD for being slimmer of the month! I love the thought of going to a quaint pub – no matter the time of year or location, I always think/remember the smell of a peat fire and coziness of eating in a pub. Sigh.

Joyce in IN– do you mean the foods on the MFP scale? Some of them are rather confusing. I just keep looking for one in a scale I can read. Good for you for tackling a new skill – cooking at home will serve you so much better – you can control your own health so much better this way. There are lots of ways you can try cooking foods that shouldn’t be too taxing – and the more you can transition away from processed/canned foods and use fresh ingredients, the better off you’ll both be. I’m cheering for you! On Brooke’s meatloaf recipe: do you have a blender? You can try pulsing small amounts of the veggies at a time in it, then shake them out and do more. It works about as well as a food processor, you just can’t do as many and need to be careful not to turn it to mush.

Katla, what did we do before yoga? Oh, yeah, we were younger and it didn’t hurt as bad :laugh:.

Luvbuttons, what a great loss! Good job.

Congratulations, Texasgal – wow, is he an adorable boy. He looks so big already – oh, yeah, he was a big baby. Congratulations to mom and dad too.

Meg, I would have joined you in the happy dance but was just too darned tired :laugh:.

Robin, I’m sorry things are so difficult right now. How sweet of your DH to surprise you like that :smile::heart:.

Lin, enjoy that sun! I have the siding soap and power washer ready – I should do that before I mulch that side of the house *notetoself.

Brooke, Keeping you in my thoughts for the new position.

Grandmallie, ahem, we’ve all been there. Just be Scarlett and think about having to be pulled into the corset after your binge to try to keep it from happening again . .. :laugh:.

Laurie, keep coming back. We have quite a few discussions about what works, etc.

Bj, you just keep that snow there. We’re enjoying the sunshine down here too much.

Sue in TX, your lunch with the Water Babes sounds fun – and how wonderful you’ve been exercising together for 16 years! DH and I split meals pretty frequently also, although a lot of the time he uses a meal out as a chance to eat meat – he loves the vegetarian meals I make but still wants to eat meat once in a while. I only get huffy when he eats junk like a Taco Bell 12-pack grr. JaneH has been logging but sounds busy. She said she is being included in a magazine this fall as one of the great realtors in her area – plus her mom and dad have been keeping her running.

Barbie, wow, that salad sounds wonderful!

Tea, another Philly fan! Well, Kyle was splendid last night, so that’s something. I was really hoping for a better season – I feel like it’s our “last chance” before the team completely revamps. We need another good bat – but the guys are hitting, and Chooch is back this weekend so maybe we’ll get moving.

Carol and Barbie – if it weren’t for left-overs I wouldn’t ever eat lunch, so I’m with you, Carol. However, Barbie, I also portion out my food for a meal and don’t generally have seconds. I find now that I can’t eat a lot at one time anyway, so it’s pretty easy not to overeat. I think I did once since the start of the year on something where we were at a restaurant or my sister’s or something – and I felt so sick afterwards! It’s just not worth it. I’m more like you now, Barbie, in that if I overeat it’s overdoing calories on dense foods like nuts.

Jodios, good luck with your travel. I have read that it’s important to slow-cook brussel sprouts and/or make sure they are on the small/young side to keep them from being too bitter. I find them sweet generally.

Gail, I’m laughing at oatmeal for dinner – last night DH wanted to make a fish dish so I went with him to the store but they didn’t have what he was looking for . . . so in the end I made popcorn and I think he supplemented with a pbj sandwich. So much for good intentions.

Liz, have a wonderful time at the walk today! I’m active with a bunch of people who work with/have autistic children. I’ve been fortunate not to have an autistic child but am around them. So much good work has been occurring in the field but there’s still a lot to be done.

LindaB, I’m sending healing thoughts to your family for your daughter. A very good blogger (but NSFW and/or young eyes but might make you laugh if you don’t mind language) is The Bloggess. Wickedly funny and a long-time sufferer of social anxiety and depression – she has a vivid and accurate description of what it’s like. It’s not something that is really “cured” but rather managed. Sometimes the management includes drug therapy, but there are a number of issues that can be treated with a combo of therapy and behavior mod. Wishing you and your DD lots of strength and love.

Viv, yay! So glad you got out and it pepped you up!

Cindy, welcome back! I’m sorry the winter was sorry but hope spring raises your spirits. I know it does mine. And a wedding – how exciting!

Renny, my sleep cycle has been a little off lately too – I think it’s work stress. Didn’t you just change jobs? That might be part of it.

OK, I’m off to the yard. I hope everyone has a wonderful experience this weekend. Today’s my DS’s 26th birthday (he's the one in the pic) – I almost forgot until I saw his sister had posted on FB and laughed because now he has to get his own health insurance (not until next year) – leave it to her to think about practicalities :laugh:. He’s having a wonderful, and first, grown-up vacation in Key West with his GF and some friends from the mountains who live there now. I’m so happy for him. He’s a tiny bit more grown up – yay! They are coming up to the NE after they leave FL - her parents live up on Long Island, so they're going there, then I'll go pick them up in NYC (we're having dinner at Mas first) and bring them back here for a week, then they head to DC to watch her sister's graduation, then back home to work. Whew - to be young again!

Cheers,

M.
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Chiming in real quick,
    Texasgal - What a sweet little baby, Congrats to all your family.

Renny- Have fun at the 10K!

Katla - I’m Happy to hear you found the picture posting info helpful.

Rudie - Welcome to the group!

Meg, so Happy to hear the sun is out there, point it towards NY, lol I agree with Brooke… a Singing pole dancer!

Linder- You sure have been a busy girl, I bet it’s nice to be doing out door chores. I haven’t even started yet. Maybe tomorrow, they are calling for 67 degrees and good ol’ Mr. Sunshine

Brooke- Another wonderful quote, Thank you. Good luck with your interview. I will say some good luck prayers for you. Thank you for sharing the meatloaf recipe,it sound so yummy, I can’t wait to try it.

Grandmallie- Oh, my favorite thing in the world is a biscotti, I also can not stop at just one. I’m drooling here! I made some homemade chocolate chip cookies to take to work and I ate more than I should have, they are all gone now. I think I was overdue for a sugar fix, lol

Lauri- Welcome and you found a great group of insightful girls, you will love it!

Cityjane- Congrats on your NSV, What an inspiring post, Thank you!

Amanda- I feel so bad for your sweet Grandbabies, They probably both will get them and I hope they feel better real soon, Chicken pox got both my boys when they were little boys, gosh that seems forever ago now.

DeeDee- I got a chuckle from your lunch story.

Happy Saturday, off and running, long day ahead of me

Enjoy your day everybody
    Peace~N~ Hugs
    Carol in WNY
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been a good old lady and have been poring over recipes on the net. WOW, there are a lot of them. But so many of them say the serving is x amount of grams. How do I convert that to cups, tbsp, etc??? My little kitchen jsut isn't going to handle a food procesor, scales etc especially since my husband says we don't need any of that.

Confused Joyce in southern Indiana

Joyce- I started weighing out our portions just this year. It has made such a difference, the scale is very small, and fits inside my upper cabinet when I am not using it. My husband and myself have both managed to lose 15 pounds so far, since Jan 2013. He isn't on MFP, but I am. I count my calories, measure/weigh both portions, (he gets 2 portions), I cook them in 2 separate pots, same food. And he a,so smokes and is on High B/P meds. We both needed to lose some weight..badly.
    Here is a link to the scale I bought. I use it every day, for all of my meals.
    I have never done this before, as digital scales like this were never affordable to me till now.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Weight-Kitchen-Postal-Shipping/dp/B008DIYOIA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1367066209&sr=8-11&keywords=saga+food+scales
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    DeeDee -- were you being set up for a date?

Barbie - when we did all the work in our back yard last fall I counted it as weight training. We were shoveling/moving/spreading rock and soil, loading/unloading/leveling stacking blocks (42 pounds each), moving bags of mulch, etc. I definitely counted it since it wasn't regular yard work like mowing, edging, etc. where you just walk along. (For using the pick ax to get rid of bermuda grass I think I logged it as chopping wood since it was essentially the same motion! Shoveling dirt/rock were recorded as shoveling snow.)

Worked from 6:30a to 6:30p yesterday and will have to go in for a bit today. Fortunately it is only 10 minutes away and close to the Y, so exercise at the end. I was worn out last night and went to bed before 10. Trouble staying asleep, tho.

This morning the scale said I was down 2 pounds. We'll see if it sticks before I make it official and log it!

YAY...the coffee is done -- BBL.

Gail, metro ATL
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! I so look forward to these mornings, especially when the sun is shining. After 25 years of a husband in the Navy often deployed or working on the weekend, I love seeing him at the table with me sharing a cuppa coffee and then heading to the gym together. It hardly gets better than that!

Just read through most of the posts. Congratulations to those of you who are hitting goals! It sounds like most of you are in a positive place at the moment.

Amanda, I hope the London blue skies lift your spirits.
    DeeDee... Did the fella remember you too?
    Jodi... Looking forward to hearing about your plateau bust. I'm sure you'll let us know when it works. :smile: I'm usually "afraid"
    to try things like that as I get sooo disappointed if they don't!
    Meg... I love the cold oven Salmon because it is so easy... and perfect every time. I hate fish that is overdone. We lived in Korea
    and Japan for 4 years so I love my fish just barely done. I adore sushi too.:smile:
    Jackie... I hate it's so cold there for you. I love following your runs!

Update on the little dog: She had 12 seizures in 36 hours. DH and I were exhausted. She doesn't seem to have suffered any brain damage or paralysis, but we have started a new med. It's hilarious to see her now... she is entirely wired! The adjustment period should pass quickly, right? If I hold her she calms down, but she is like that video, "Ninja cat" Every time I move she is following me keeping her eye on me. I do love the little pooch! Thanks for your comments. We do love our furry children.

Off to the gym and a green smoothie today! Have a great weekend everyone!

Tammy in Va Beach
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Texasgirl: Your grandson is a cutie. You are a lucky woman to have 7 grandchildren to love.:flowerforyou:

LindaS: I love Brussels sprouts and have rarely encountered a bitter one unless they’re “fresh” and have been sitting around too long. I usually use packaged frozen ones because they’re easy to keep around all of the time. Many who love fresh Brussels Sprouts are probably cringing at my words.:laugh:

cityjanelondon: Congratulations on the fitness victories! We’re close to the same age, and I’ve been having fitness victories, too. I can walk up the hill at the end of the road again. That probably doesn’t seem so great, but it was a thrill for me. I’ve taken enough weight off that my sore knee has “stopped complaining.”:bigsmile:

Joyce: A blender can do the same chopping job as a food processor but you need to watch carefully or you’ll have mush. Or you can chop it all yourself with a good knife. I have a food processor, a blender and a knife, and usually use the knife so I don’t have to clean the food processor or blender. Knives are EASY to clean.:wink::laugh:

Amanda: There is a chickenpox vaccine available, and I’d get it if I hadn’t already had chickenpox. The thing is, the virus stays alive but dormant in your body after the chickenpox symptoms are gone, and it can come back as shingles in later life. Shingles is a very painful condition. A dear friend has them right now. There is a shingles vaccine for those who’ve already had chickenpox and I’ve had it, but it is not always 100% effective. So far, so good.:flowerforyou:

M: You’re right about the “younger and didn’t hurt so bad.” Imagine how fit we’d be now if we’d been doing Yoga all along! :flowerforyou:

Moxie: I bought a kitchen scale from Amazon, too. I also bought dishers at a restaurant supply place, which are intended by the restaurant industry to quickly serve consistent portions. All of it makes measuring food easier and is a real blessing when you’re trying to control portions. The scales and dishers are what allow me to be a “moderator” instead of an “abstainer”! Between us, DH and I have so many dietary restrictions that it is a blessing to be able to eat the things we like without “falling off the wagon.”:flowerforyou:

Gail in Atlanta: Congratulations on the weight loss! :flowerforyou:

It is another pretty morning here, and DH is still sleeping. He had a horrible day yesterday-vomiting, headache, and call to the doctor. By the end of the day he felt good enough to cook our dinner. I’m hoping he has a better day today. I’d like to do something fun today. Maybe it will be to hang out on the clean boat or ride bikes or…

Katla in NW Oregon
  • bass2be1
    bass2be1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    could someone please give instructions on how to join this group.:blushing:
  • KandiKane13
    Options
    Good morning everyone, guess im part f the group now...LOL

I'm new to the site and love reading the forums, very informative and have also gotten some great recipes.

Happy weekend . :bigsmile:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Sue in TX – I love the idea of the Water Babes calendar! Whose body would you pick to be “attached” to??? :bigsmile:

CityJane – Awesome NSV, I too have a hard time with the floor exercises so know how it would feel if I could do what you did. So great! Just read the SV – 3 stones is definitely something to be proud of, can’t wait to join you there (soon) :drinker:

Joyce – I’m afraid I don’t have any suggestions for getting the veggies that finely chopped without the food processor. Give M.’s suggestion about the blender a try (as she said, small amounts!) If you don't have a blender, then a knife chopping it all very finely. Also, until/unless you do get a scale, use your measuring cups/spoons to get proper portions (1 Cup = 8 oz.). Good luck, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Jo – Enjoy the lovely sunshine while you are multi-tasking!

Amanda – Hope your day at the gallery flies by and you are feeling better

DeeDee – age is just a number, if guys can date younger women, why not the reverse? Just goes to show you’ve still ‘got it’ which is a nice NSV!!! :wink:

M. – I am a huge fan of The Bloggess, she is wickedly funny with a warped sense of humor that I appreciate. Enjoyed her book, it explained much :laugh: Also, I too am a big fan of the leftover – like you, I enjoy them for lunch.

Carol in WNY – thanks for the prayer, really much appreciated (love your new profile picture too)

Tammy – So sorry you had to deal with so much drama with your fur-kid, hope the new medicine does the trick and she adjusts and isn’t so wired (“Ninja Cat” - - I can just picture her). So great you and DH work out together :smile:

Katla – Hoping DH is feeling fabulous and you’re able to get out in the gorgeous weather and enjoy yourselves

Bass2be1 – You joined us just by posting. Check at the top of any page click on “Community” then click on “My Topics” and you’ll find us here! Post/read often for words of wisdom, support and encouragement

KandiKane13 – see above, Welcome to you too!!!!!!!

Brooke from Colorado

“You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! It’s a dreary and cool Saturday here in Omaha. DH went to visit relatives in Oklahoma Thursday, so now I’m really missing him! He’s having a great time, but I’m sure the food is horrible health-wise. Everyone there thinks their biscuits and sausage gravy is the best and they try to prove it. Little do they know MINE is the best LOL. Gosh I haven’t made that in about a year. I do make it once or twice a year and literally lick the plate afterwards it’s so good and such a treat! :happy:

I’m feeling pretty lazy today but need to work hard on the book. It’s not writing itself for some reason (dang it!). I have some sort of block against this chapter which is due next week! I just took on another test bank, but it will be easy (only 130 questions!) and the pay is good so I couldn’t resist.

I wrote up my goals again and modified the Wellness trackers’ worksheet from work and sent it to my home email so I’m going to use it daily. I added an area to check if I met my calorie goals, my fitness goals, and how many steps I did. I seem to be getting around 6000 daily, so I can try to increase that by 500. I feel really motivated now for once (!) especially since school is winding down and I feel in control of my life once again.

Robin: so glad things worked out with hubby and how sweet of him to bring you a flower!:flowerforyou:

Lindasunshine: thanks for the link. I’ll check it out. Hope things work out with your daughter. Social anxiety can be paralyzing!

Lin: I knew you were from Iowa but I guess I didn’t realize Des Moines. I’ve been there twice and find it lovely and lots of fun. Can’t think of the name, but there is a great seafood restaurant there we have gone to both times. You are close to
    Bonderson, home of the adoption group for greyhounds.

Brooke: (sending this message from the nose burn center!).:tongue: I never thought of a singing pole dancer! I thought if I were a lounge singer I’d lie on top of a grand piano and sing torch songs. I would have to concentrate too hard on the pole to sing while pole dancing. :laugh: One of the Y’s in Omaha had pole dancing classes for a while (for fitness of course), but I think all the older ladies objected, so they cancelled it.

Jmkmomm: here’s a substitution for your sweet potato dish: Make the potatoes just like always, but add 1 tablespoon of bourbon and a handful of pecans (good fat, good fiber, will make you feel fuller). Mash it all together. The bourbon will taste very sweet. Cook til hot. Then add ½ the marshmallows you normally do and BROIL them til browned. They will be much sweeter and you won’t need so many!

Here’s my corn casserole recipe which has only 1/3 the calories of the original: Mix together these ingredients: 1 can creamed corn, 1 can whole kernel corn with the juice, 8 ounces lite sour cream, 1 box of jiffy corn muffin mix, and ¼ cup “I can’t believe it’s not butter”. Put in 8” square pan, bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. If it’s dry, add up to another ¼ cup of margarine.

You can substitute turkey (or Morningstar meatless crumbles) for the ground beef in your meatloaf and spaghetti. Or if you don’t like that, substitute half the ground beef with turkey or meatless crumbles.

Grandmallie: ooooh biscotti! My sil is from Italy and she makes the best! Sorry you have a tummy ache though!

Lauri: welcome to the group! 4 pounds is a victory!

Brooke! I love the surprise in the meatloaf! Great way to add veggies. I’m giving it a try although all of us love veggies!

BJ: here’s hoping spring shows up sometime up there!

Sue: your lunch and your friendship sound wonderful

Cityjane: great nsv! Very inspiring!

REnny: sending you energizing thoughts for your race:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I agree that your yard work was a good substitute for weight training with weights!

Amanda: my goodness! I bet you were relieved to get out of the hospital and back to normal. Hope the grandkids get well soon (or don’t get sick at all!). They probably will both have it though.

DeeDee: so we can’t call you a cougar huh? :tongue: It was nice of your old friend to give you compliments! That must have given you a boost for the day!

M; I hope you have a delightful weekend! Your DS sounds like he turned out OK! I too wish I had that energy

Carol: Hope you find some time today for relaxation!

Gail: great news on your weight loss!

Tammy: all those seizures! Oh my. I hope the new med works well and she settles down. I love the video Ninja Kitty but it’s not as funny when it’s a sick little doggy!

Bass: you joined by posting! Welcome. Look for the thread under community, my topics.

Well I need to head off to book land. UGH. I keep telling myself if I work hard til 6 I can watch baseball. Harumph! I just want to be lazy! Take care! Meg from dreary Omaha:drinker:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe help. The corn casserole sounds exactly like mine I use except for the regular butter and regular sour cream. As far as the sweet potatoes, I don't know. I know alcohol evaporates when cooking but I have never had a drink and I have two members of my family that are members of AA. One won't even drink a coke becuase it reminds him of his drinks with Coke in it. I don't have a blender either:sad: I guess it would have to be finely chopping. The recipes I was talking about how to convert had grams as servings. I don't know how to convert those. I know other measurements.
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I spent a long time replying to the previous posts and thought that I had already posted, so deleted the document so it would be ready to go for the next time. How stupid is that?

CityJane - good for you on the 30DS. I modify some of the exercises like jumping jacks - found something on YouTube with modified jumping jacks.

Exermom - when I saw that gallbladder surgery was the most performed surgery in the US, some red flags went up. I also did some research and found enough people who said that they had NO improvement after surgery. Well, I decided to try the acupuncture and have felt much better. I do go twice a week. In general, I feel better. That could be because of the increase in exercise and the healthier diet as well.

In my opinion, cheating is relative. I will never completely give up foods that I love, but will cut down on the amount or frequency. It would be very unrealistic for me to do that. Having said that, I don't eat tons of processed food or sugary stuff, but do enjoy my chocolate and wine. I have cut back significantly on wine with no ill effects or cravings. Anyway, for me to do something unrealistic like cut out what I consider treats, would not work for me.

I am continuing with doing the 30DS and have added more exercise. Still waiting for results. Didn't have the best diet the past few weeks and won't again next week as I am traveling. I admit that sometimes, I crave a juicy hamburger.

I see a few recipes - what do you like for a quick snack or meal that is satisfying? I enjoy salads, but seem to like them much more in the summer.

I will try to reply individually next time.
    Have a nice weekend.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, all.....been super busy all week and no end in sight. One of the groups I volunteer for is support group for a specialized unit within the police for this city and we had a graduation Thursday. I took along one of my friends as an extra volunteer since it was not open to the public; quite impressive and she had a good time........put her to work afterward serving cake so I wouldn't need to go near it! Yesterday manned a call line for a PBS fundraiser. Today was volunteering at a 5K. I am soooooooo grateful to be at a point in life where I can do what I actually want to do........finally having fun.

Katla........glad to hear you finally got the boat washed, I know you are happier now!!

Pole dancer.........loved it, whoever posted it

CityJane..........MAJOR congrats on the 3 stone

Renny...........Fingers crossed that you p.r. tomorrow..........GO Renny!!!!!

Brooke..........best of luck in the interview!!!!

Tx.gal...........cute, cute baby!!

Nanasorchid.............I suppose I cheat every day ending each of them with a mug of hot chocolate; knowing I have that to look forward to keeps me out of all the other temptations

Jane..........you really, really do need a scale

Got to get dinner out of the oven. Weather is finally decent.

Take care everyone

Yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    could someone please give instructions on how to join this group.:blushing:

All you have to do is post, so you're in already. Come back often.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!:flowerforyou:

It was a busy morning helping with our annual neighborhood clean-up. Spent two and a half hours, along with about 16 other volunteers, picking up trash on our sidewalks and streets. It felt good to be doing something so productive and got quite a bit of walking done. Elevating my foot now though because it swelled quite a bit. Back to the foot doctor next week to see if he has any suggestions. Also had a second interview yesterday and even though it's not for the job I really want, I'm kind of on pins and needles until I hear something back Monday. I couldn't get a read on how it went but I did find out only 4-5 people are being hired. Scale showed a .5 loss this week. I'll take it!:smile:

Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend! Glad I had a few minutes of quiet to catch up on all the posts!

:heart: Kathy
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, my everyone is so busy!! Congrats to all the weight loss this week . Well we got sunny skies and about 70 degree weather
    so I guess we can say this is spring!!! I got over 10,000 steps in today as we work outside putting out patio furniture and then cleaned up my flower beds still lots of ice about and inch or so down in the ground but got the old debris from winter its a start.
    and a super work out. Now to have some well deserved supper and a rest.

Take care everyone juanita from sunny sudbury
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sunny Saturday to all my friends!

I have sat and read all the posts, enjoyed each and every one of them! My DD#2 is still sleeping and DD#1 is at the shooting competition. The peace and quiet is so nice. Only an occasional bark from one of the dogs! Bright, sunny and, 79 degrees outside. DD#1, came in 3rd place with 91/100 clay targets. First and second place were girls who have been shooting 8+ years, and My DD only a little over a year! I am so proud of her. They only gave trophies out to 1st and 2nd place, so I hope that won’t make her sad. There is nothing better than getting a “prize” for your accomplishment when you are a kid. I think she will realize that she has done an amazing job in one year’s time, and keep working towards her goal to go to the 2016 summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro! I have to get in the work frame of mind now, as working this evening! I feel so blessed to have spent my morning/afternoon with such a wonderful group of women.
    My day goes so much better if I start it on here!
    May you all have a wonderful weekend, and bring smiles to all you meet!
    Much Love,:heart: LindaS akaSundanceb:flowerforyou:

Rudie0618- keep coming each day, read and log. Even if you cant reply! I have had one keep replacement and still need the other one done. This I an not looking forward too!! I am allergic to the bone cement, so I have to lose at least another 50 lbs before I can get it done! I admire you for doing both knees at the same time! I do understand why you did this!

Lin – how do you get rid mildew? Bleach? Hope you are having a lovely weekend after your chores! I love your dogs on the end of your page! So cute

Brooke- fingers and toes crossed! Sending positive vibes your way! You will do great on the interview!
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.” = = Dr. Seuss!!! Thank you Brooke for this from Dr. Seuss!!

jmkmomm-try non fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream! So, much healthier and you should not be able to tell a difference! Good news about DH! Yes, you are right! Just little steps! I can so relate! 28 grams equals one ounce. I have a food scale that I got off Amazon. It have grams or ounces on it. I always google or search on the internet,if I can’t figure out a conversion!

grandmallie-I have been where you are, just add the calories and eat that much less tomorrow ,but don’t go under 1200 calories. You can also just increase your exercise burn! Recognition is the first step in becoming successful! Thank you for being honest with us, and yourself!!! You are on your way to being successful! Big hug!

Lauri 524- welcome, check in daily Open up your food diary so all the wonderful women can take a look an offer you some suggestions!

ROSE- You are in my thoughts and prayers!

bjmcq- SNOW! WOW, I hope that you get some sunny warm weather for this weekend! Sending you a big dose of warm sunshine to melt away the snow! 

Sue in TX- thank you for your kind words re: my DD. Have a lovely weekend!

Renny- good luck with your 10k.I will be cheering you along!

Jo-have a lovely sunny weekend!

Barbie- your Jake is a keeper too! (Robin, you too!) What a lovely healthy lunch he made!
    Thank you so much for this!

“The only real freedom a human being can ever know is doing what you ought to do because you want to do it.

Amanda- sending you a sunny warm wish for a lovely weekend, to chase the blues away. Secondly, hoping a holiday is on your horizon!

DeeDee, thanks for the well wishes for DD.I am communicating with her by text messages. She came in 3rd place with the lady junior. This really is an amazing feat as she has only been shooting a little over a year now. She got 91/1oo and the other girls who have been shooting for 8+ years got 96/100 and 97/100! I am really proud of her. Gardening has just been pulling up mint roots, trimming up trees and bushes. Really ,just clean up stuff. DH does the heavy hard work.

M- thank you for the kind words about my daughter. I must ask you what is NSFW? How do I find this blog?-The Bloggess. I will take a look at it first as it helps kids to see that they are not the only ones with anxiety. She mentioned to her friends on Google plus that she was bullied in grade school, 3 of the kids also said they were bullied. one girl for being fat, a boy for having red hair, and another girl who is very pretty, had a girl start a web page that said I hate XXX which was the girls name. This is only a few of the kids she is friends with on google plus.Iam sure there are many more stories like this So, sad that kids are so mean these days!

Carol-wny- Hope you get to work out in the yard today, with sunny warm weather! It does a soul good!

Gail- CONGRATS on the weight loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy-VA beach-Lovely info about you and DH! You are one luck lady! Hope the medicine works for your dog. You are such good fur parents!

Katla-so tell me what Brussels sprouts are supposed to taste like? Maybe, I have only had bitter ones. I have just steamed them before! yuk!

Bass2be1 and KandiKane 13- welcome Brooke gave good instructions to join the group. Let us know about you and where you are from!

Meg-I am coming over for the biscuits and gravy! What time is the meal? Thanks for the kind words for my DD. It is so sad when she says- “why did I have to be born with this?” “ I just want to be normal like all the other kids!”

twotonnetaric- do what works for you! We all have to do the same. I have low fat string cheese, apples, low fat babel cheese. Dried fruit, nuts, Greek yogurt is my favorite!

Yanniejannie- you are blessed to be able to do the things you want to do! The organizations are so lucky to have you volunteer!

Kathy- take care of that foot! Praying that you get the job, that’s best for you!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Back again... this thread really keeps me motivated!

The freezer needed organizing and, well, one thing led to another this morning. There are a couple of things that will go in the trash this week ('deals' DH got....in 2012!!). I can't imagine how bad it would be if we had a big freezer. Also pulled a few things from the freezer to the frig for during the week and made vegetable soup in the crock pot. I just tasted the soup and it is delicious!

Here is my veg soup recipe: put a ham bone (mine was frozen/leftover from Easter), 3 cans of no-salt stock (I used 1 chicken, 1 beef and 1 vegetable since that was what I had) and 3 bags frozen soup veggies in the crock pot! I didn't add any other seasoning since the ham can be salty.

After refilling the freezer I decided to look at the contents of the frig and threw out a bunch of condiments that have been hanging around a long time. We're just not big on catsup, etc., so it ends up being there from cookouts/company until a day like today. Put the crock pot on high about 11a and it was done/ready about 6p.

DH and I also got housework done this morning. He vacuumed and I did everything else. :laugh: I appreciate it though since my left wrist has been bum for a few weeks. Told DH I may actually go see the doc on Monday since it isn't getting better with just the OTC brace and my boss is in New Orleans. When I scalped the bermuda several weekends ago I think I sprained it, so rotation is mostly uncomfortable, but occasionally painful. Putting on deodorant, hooking a bra behind the back and lifting/pouring things with the left hand hurts.

Only had to be at work a couple of hours this afternoon, so from there I went to the Y and did the weight machines (22,400 pounds) and 3.7 miles on the treadmill (uphill, from 3.5 mph to 4.2) in 55 minutes.

Time to tend to a few other things. Have a great night!

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Evening. DH and I have been running around today trying to check loads off the to do list. It is finally nice and sunny out. :glasses: We took our 2 dogs for a long walk this morning. Then I did some Zumba so I have a nice surplus of calories.:bigsmile: We worked frozen yogurt into our errands after piano lessons. They have a new flavor –salted caramel – yummy. :love: At Sam’s Club, it was apparently tasting day. I was so good. Only sampled the artichoke stuffed chicken breast (which was very tasty and very reasonable caloriewise) so we bought it. I like having healthy back up meals in the fridge or freezer for those crazy days when I’m too busy or tired to cook. They also handed out a free cookbook. Now just chilling and trying to catch up with all of my VitF.

I did very well on the road yesterday. I kept the calories down and this morning was 1 lb down (although still stuck on my plateau). 3 lbs left to my overall goal. I am still very determined to bust this plateau. Even though the weight is stuck I do feel like I’m getting stronger and trimming down so at least I know there are some benefits to this plateau busting plan

Gail – I love what your Y is doing. Are you going to try the meals or basket? Congrats on the weight loss:drinker:

Carol – thanks for the How – To on posting images. I’m going to have to try soon (don’t have any images I want to post right now):noway:

Robin – how you got to see your DH and make-up before leaving town. Just so your 2nd post – what a sweetie you are married to. So glad you were able leave for your weekend on good terms:heart:

Cindy – welcome back…looking forward to getting to know you:smile:

Katia – glad to hear the yoga helped you. Hope your DH is feeling better:sick:

Luvbuttons – congrats on the weight loss. I’m going to have to check out the BMR app:drinker:

Texasgal – your new DGS is so adorable. Congrats!!!:heart:

CityJane – congrats on the weight loss. Maybe you can get some of your favorite outfits altered. Just saw your post on your push-up and plank NSV and the next on more weight loss…YEAH:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Jo – what a great day you had. It sounds like you live in a magical place. I agree with you about cheat days – they don’t make sense to me…I think about all the work I’m going to need to do to make up for a whole cheat day. I prefer the occasional small treat.:wink:

Rudie – welcome. I’m a huge fan of MFP as well. It really helped me:flowerforyou:

Sundance – thanks for the link on metabolism…I’m going to check it out:smile:

Brooke – good luck on Tuesday…hope you get this job:wink:

Jmkmomm – here are my tips to add on to Meg’s for your favorites: for the spaghetti, try with Plus, white whole grain or whole grain pasta. You can get pizza dough at Trader Joes – just make sure you use less dough and roll it out very thin. Use lots of veggies and cut back on the cheese. Use 2% low fat mozz. Make your meatloaf/chilli with ground turkey or bison for a leaner option. FYI a ½ cup is 63 grams. I think you might want to reconsider the kitchen scale. They are small and inexpensive. I use mine all the time:bigsmile:

Grandmallie – oh well tomorrow is another day:noway:

Lauri – you are losing and that’s what counts. You’ve joined a great group of women:love:

Sue – so wonderful that you have the Water Babes…LOL re: the calendar idea:laugh:

Renny – good luck with the 10K tomorrow:smile:

Barbie – carrying heavy rocks seems like weight training to me:bigsmile:

Amanda – hope you are feeling in better spirits and little Molly is doing better:cry:

DeeDee – you turned down a younger man!!! We need to talk!!!!:laugh:

M – happy b-day your DS. Sounds like you’ve got some great get togethers coming up:flowerforyou:

Tammy – glad to hear your fur baby is doing better although wired.:wink:

Bass2be – as soon as you post you are part of the group. You can find us again by clinking on my topics under community. Come back often!:smile:

KandiKane – welcome:smile:

Meg – don’t you wish the book could write itself. You are always so busy – you deserve the occasional lazy day:yawn:

Kathy – so wonderful you volunteer for such good causes. Hope your foot is better soon Good luck with the job…keep us posted:flowerforyou:

Whoo - that took awhile to catch up. got to get dinner going. Have a great rest of the weekend. Jodios :smile: :laugh: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: