Vegan Cat help!!

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see that I got wrong is that you are a man apparently with an attitude of a middle aged woman going through menopause. If you have questions ask an animal dietician, and let's hope you take their word for it and no do further damage. Your kids will get sick if you aren't careful with what you give or take out of their diet. So please for your childs welfare be careful. Even though they are YOUR kids, people have a right to be concerned. That's why there is such a thing as child protective services. Vegan is OK for kids but it should be a measure taken with caution so your kids don't grow up to be 4 foot tall/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkOd_cLM2GXSG5e7MjDrkKBP0DKVTUE94qPi8cek328CRCdrMSwA
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    wet-mad-cat-sink.jpg
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I will say that most pet food kibble is garbage and mostly plant-based (which I am *not* a fan of). Most, if not all, that you find at department stores are full of corn. As a veg, I still feed my cats and dogs meat-based diets, I'm just careful on the sources. Think about switching them to a raw diet where you can pick out where the food comes from (free range or local ethical farmer)?

It could depend on the individual animal, many cats and dogs have food allergies with grains and vegetables- that could be a problem. Just like with any food changes, do it gradually. Please monitor the animal's health closely (blood work, etc).

PS: I would think twice before relying on PeTA for a source of information.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think there is a market for cat food flavored tofu. I will have The Sassy Gourmet get right on that.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this is an April fools joke. I work at a pet store and had a million hours worth of training through a vet, cats eat meat. They do make vegan dog food, but not cat.

really, a MILLION hours, really? :huh:

YES, I was being sarcastic, wow!
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this is an April fools joke. I work at a pet store and had a million hours worth of training through a vet, cats eat meat. They do make vegan dog food, but not cat.
    Why is ok for dogs to be vegan, but not cats? Thats seems a little discriminatory if you ask me.

I don't make it, just sell it :-)
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry if someone has already said this, but I got bored of reading all of the abusive comments on here. You can get vegan cat food in the UK with taurine in here:

http://www.ethical-pets.co.uk/52-benevo-vegan-cat-food-dry.html
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Here's what the RSPCA has to say:

Vegetarian cat

Unlike dogs, cats are strict carnivores! They need vital nutrients that come from meat, especially taurine, vitamin A and arachidonic acid. This makes it very difficult to feed balanced vegetarian diets to cats, and commercially-available vegetarian diets may use taurine from meat sources.

Although cats do need some vegetation in order to have a balanced diet, this shouldn't form the bulk of a cat's diet.

Your cat may sometimes eat vegetation such as grass (which they would normally get from the intestines of herbivore prey animals). This can be normal, but can also be a sign of illness, if you are concerned speak to your vet.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/in-action/aboutus/mission/policies/vegetarianism/pets

I think the last four words of that quote are the best advice anyone could offer you.
  • abradbeary
    abradbeary Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you're serious or not.
    Cats are not Vegans. They are carnivores. They eat meat. They NEED meat. Trust me, a cat does not have any ethical issues with eating another animal. Please don't force your human lifestyle on a non-human.

Seriously?! If you study cats in the wild they were raised as carnivores. Any vet would tell you that this is not a good decision because of the animals health. If the decision is because you are concerned of animals well being in the first place, please, don't subject your pet's health to something that is not good for them!

P.S. I am a Food Science Major studying within the department of Animal Science at Oklahoma State University. I respect everyone's decision do determine their food choices, but I don't think that they should try to influence others.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The number of serious responses here is an outstanding demonstration of Poe's Law. Troll level: Elite!
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As a veterinary technician with over a decade of experience, I have to say this is untrue. I have participated in countless abdominal surgeries, including perferations (tears in the intestine), never caused by rice. In fact we recommend chicken and rice as a bland diet for upset tummies. In my considerable experience, I have never once heard this about rice, particularly from doctors. Please do not spread misinformation, it could be harmful.

The problem with a vegan diet for cats is that it is deadly and will cause suffering. Cats *are* obligate carnivores and require certain protein only found in meat (taurine) for their bodies to function. Expect the cat to initially go blind. Then become neurologic. Then die.

Considering you can't even spell perforations right, you're the one spreading misinformation. The feed store at which I worked had vet (Not a technician) on call because he OWNS the store. Thanks for acting like I'm an idiot though. I really appreciate that. Also, chicken and rice usually means rice meal.

EDIT: Rice may not cause the cat to die, but it can hurt them. It holds no nutritional value and is used only as a filler. However, like with birds, it will swell, especially if it's uncooked.
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! This is the same situation at my last job. :)
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    been laughing over how rediculous this scenario is and hoping it's just a really bad April Fool's joke. if not, i'm pretty sure there will be an upcoming news story on a family gone missing...the only living thing found in the home is a massively obese, but completely satisfied cat. please feed your CARNIVOROUS pet the kind of food she should be eating rather than expecting and animal to understand or even comprehend ethics.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    The number of serious responses here is an outstanding demonstration of Poe's Law. Troll level: Elite!

BazingaCat_zps2e7fb13b.jpg
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

:smile:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    been laughing over how rediculous this scenario is and hoping it's just a really bad April Fool's joke. if not, i'm pretty sure there will be an upcoming news story on a family gone missing...the only living thing found in the home is a massively obese, but completely satisfied cat. please feed your CARNIVOROUS pet the kind of food she should be eating rather than expecting and animal to understand or even comprehend ethics.

Well . . . my cat used to be obese too.

Until she adopted the vegan lifestyle.

Thanks for illustrating my point.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    If you were really concerned about animal welfare, you'd let your cat go free. Animals are meant to live in the wild. I do not understand why vegans don't have a problem with turning animals into slaves for their own pleasure.

SLAVES?!

All Nadia does is sit around the house all day licking herself.

Lady, if that's slavery, sign me up.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Save a vegetable eat a vegetarian.

My cat is writing the congress on behalf of this poor creature you've locked away in your home from the real world. Its abuse and he won't let you do it anymore! He has determined that he has claws and teeth for a reason and its not to chew on lettuce. :laugh: maybe just your bum if you continue with this.

I can't stop my cat from doing what he wants. I am a true animal lover, and likely a little insane.

Oh and did everyone forget that vegetables are living things? Or do we just eat living things that aren't cute? Or do vegetables not count because their life isn't as good as ours? I am so confused.

When you're driving as a vegan do you drive around bugs? Pick the critters out of your veggies? Those poor worms :(... I know to eath their own, but what about the cat, people?
  • Cr01502
    Options

My cat is writing the congress on behalf of this poor creature you've locked away in your home from the real world. Its abuse and he won't let you do it anymore! He has determined that he has claws and teeth for a reason and its not to chew on lettuce. :laugh: maybe just your bum if you continue with this.

I can't stop my cat from doing what he wants. I am a true animal lover, and likely a little insane.

Oh and did everyone forget that vegetables are living things? Or do we just eat living things that aren't cute? Or do vegetables not count because their life isn't as good as ours? I am so confused.

When you're driving as a vegan do you drive around bugs? Pick the critters out of your veggies? Those poor worms :(... I know to eath their own, but what about the cat, people?

My cat is quite comfortable being locked away as it lives in England and the weather sucks. I assure you he's not being maltreated. He's doing the 5:2 diet and adopting quite well to the vegan lifestyle!

Vegetables are NOT living things. They are produced by living things in order to spread seeds. Eating vegetables is like eating someone's eggs!

I actually don't own a car so I don't hit bugs And whenever I see a warm on the side walk I pick it up and place it gently back in the soil.

We all have to do the best we can!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

My cat is quite comfortable being locked away as it lives in England and the weather sucks. I assure you he's not being maltreated. He's doing the 5:2 diet and adopting quite well to the vegan lifestyle!

Vegetables are NOT living things. They are produced by living things in order to spread seeds. Eating vegetables is like eating someone's eggs!

I actually don't own a car so I don't hit bugs And whenever I see a warm on the side walk I pick it up and place it gently back in the soil.

We all have to do the best we can!
    See the way I understand it a true vegan doesn't eat eggs because eating eggs is eating the young of enslaved children. Like drinking milk is also promoting slavery. My vegan friend has filled me in on all of this. Clothing also cannot be made by or with animal products

Oh and she also tells me that it is acceptable for kitty to eat what kitty kills because animals were born with claws and teeth for that reason. Seems logical to me.

And I am pretty sure that though a potato may not have feelings the plant you are ripping it off of probably does.