How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have completed W5d2... Gearing up for the big 20 min run on day 3... Not sure if I will get to do it tomorrow or Friday. (The weather forecast for tomorrow is questionable...)

That's the one I did (again) yesterday. Had an issue with one knee, then life got in the way, so I went back a couple of steps & repeated W5D1 & W5D2 as I'd had a break of over a week. I wasn't all that pleased with how I did on the last run (problem with the OTHER knee & had to walk a bit more) so I'm taking 2 rest days, then repeating W5D2 til I'm more comfortable with it.

At MY age....... :-?
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    just did W8 D3! whoohoooooooooo !!!
  • beattie1
    Options

Congratulations! You're almost there! :smile:

Do you plan on continuing with the C25K graduate program?
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @beattie1 - sorry you are having knee pain still! Thankfully mine has subsided...

I did W5D3 today! 20 minutes straight! It was hard at first but then I got into a rhythm and was zoned out... felt pretty strong even at the end.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    @beattie1 - sorry you are having knee pain still! Thankfully mine has subsided...

I did W5D3 today! 20 minutes straight! It was hard at first but then I got into a rhythm and was zoned out... felt pretty strong even at the end.
    I was exactly the same way with W5D3. The first 2-3 minutes were tough, but your body gets into a rhythm and knows what to do. My friend runs marathons, and she said, "You get to a point where you know it'll be harder and hurt more to stop and walk than to keep running." Even though I'm nowhere near running marathons, now that I'm running longer than 5 minutes at a time, I completely understand it.
  • beattie1
    Options

I was exactly the same way with W5D3. The first 2-3 minutes were tough, but your body gets into a rhythm and knows what to do. My friend runs marathons, and she said, "You get to a point where you know it'll be harder and hurt more to stop and walk than to keep running." Even though I'm nowhere near running marathons, now that I'm running longer than 5 minutes at a time, I completely understand it.
    I'm so glad to learn that I'm not the only one who finds the first few minutes hard. Like both of you, after a while I get into it, and yes, I'm breathing hard and sweating a lot, but I can continue. And I feel ready to run again well before that long 5 minute walk in the middle is up.
  • Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did week 3, day 2 today. I'm training to run a 10K with my sister in law on Nov 2. I hope I can do it!

Feel free to add me if you need/want some support and motivation!
  • beattie1
    Options
    I'm glad I repeated W5D2 today, it went much better, both knees twinged when I started off, but were fine a few minutes in, so I'm pleased I stuck with it. I feel more confident about Monday's 20 minute run for W5D3 now. I felt the 5 minute walks in between the 2x 8 minute runs broke the rhythm that I'd just got into today!
  • DLC1978
    Options
    I felt the 5 minute walks in between the 2x 8 minute runs broke the rhythm that I'd just got into today!

I worry about going back to intervals on W6D1 for this very reason! I feel like I can probably go farther without the walking! Lol!

I'll see how it is tomorrow, I guess!
  • beattie1
    Options
    I felt the 5 minute walks in between the 2x 8 minute runs broke the rhythm that I'd just got into today!

I worry about going back to intervals on W6D1 for this very reason! I feel like I can probably go farther without the walking! Lol!

I'll see how it is tomorrow, I guess!

It struck me as an odd schedule too, but I haven't listened to the instructions for that run yet. Maybe you start working on speed - which I'm aware is very much lacking in my case. :-) The voice in my ear is still telling me to aim for a "light jog" - and I'm only too happy to oblige.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options

for the program I was on that was my last run...there is no graduate program on this one, but I plan on running 3-4X per week all min of 30 minutes but changing the goal t=of the run....one day speed, one day hills, and one run where I add 1-2 minutes per week for more of a distance run.
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I barely started. This is how I felt

a8WY3EV_460sa.gif
  • beattie1
    Options
    I barely started. This is how I felt

a8WY3EV_460sa.gif

:laugh: ROFL

I know how you feel!!
    Great gif :smile: Thanks!
  • beattie1
    Options

for the program I was on that was my last run...there is no graduate program on this one, but I plan on running 3-4X per week all min of 30 minutes but changing the goal t=of the run....one day speed, one day hills, and one run where I add 1-2 minutes per week for more of a distance run.

Congratulations on finishing! The version of C25K that I'm doing lasts for 9 weeks, so I didn't realise you'd finished.

There are links to downloads for building running technique, speed and stamina here -
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx

And there's a 5k - 10k training app here -
    http://www.active.com/mobile/10k

and a training schedule for 10k here -
    http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-10km/
    There are lots more on the web
  • beattie1
    Options
    I've just made my first attempt on W5D3 - had to take 4 short (30 second or so) walking breaks - I blame the hills! I was crying on the cool down walk - not because I'd not managed to run for the whole 20 minutes, but because I'd run for a total of 18 minutes - awesome!
  • DLC1978
    Options
    I've just made my first attempt on W5D3 - had to take 4 short (30 second or so) walking breaks - I blame the hills! I was crying on the cool down walk - not because I'd not managed to run for the whole 20 minutes, but because I'd run for a total of 18 minutes - awesome!

Great job! You'll get there :)
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I did week 5, day 2 today...soooo...you know what that means! Next time is 20 minutes! eeeekkk! lol I also do not get the logic of going from 8 min today to 20 min next time and then dropping down the next time? I am really unsure if I can do 20 min. I did well today though.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 3 is on my to-do list for tonight.

#1 and #2 were tougher than I thought they'd be. (I'm 5'7" around 250lbs currently)

Progress march on!
  • beattie1
    Options
    Hi everyone! I did week 5, day 2 today...soooo...you know what that means! Next time is 20 minutes! eeeekkk! lol I also do not get the logic of going from 8 min today to 20 min next time and then dropping down the next time? I am really unsure if I can do 20 min. I did well today though.

I follow you! Have a go at the 20 minute run - you may surprise yourself! :smile:

I'm aiming to have another shot at it on Wednesday and aim to get going earlier in the day. We're having a very hot spell where I am and though I was out jogging before 10am it was already pretty warm.

Edited to add - I can feel around my ribs that I worked hard - they're kind of achey. :ohwell:
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am doing W2D2 tonight but dreading it since the temp outside feels like 41 Celsius but I can not fall behind