How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to do week 5, day 1 tomorrow....Wellll....something moved me to do it tonight instead of tomorrow morning! :tongue: I did it!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: So excited about it!!! :bigsmile: I tried to not watch the time...however I knew when I had 10 minutes left as the app told me I was half way. Then I couldn't help myself and looked when I had 3 minutes left, lol When I stop and think about it, it is amazing to think that on week 1, day 1 it was difficult for me to jog for 1 minute, I was soooo out of breath after about 45 seconds. Now tonight I went 20 minutes STRAIGHT? Blows my mind :happy:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    When doing the C25K do you do multiple days in a row and then take a break or do you all do a workout then skip a day on and on.. Just trying not to burn out.

Thanks
    I use the downloads from the NHS choices website -
    http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
    and the trainer is very clear that you need a day's rest after each run/ jog/ walk session to recover in.
  • beattie1
    Options
    I was supposed to do week 5, day 1 tomorrow....Wellll....something moved me to do it tonight instead of tomorrow morning! :tongue: I did it!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: So excited about it!!! :bigsmile: I tried to not watch the time...however I knew when I had 10 minutes left as the app told me I was half way. Then I couldn't help myself and looked when I had 3 minutes left, lol When I stop and think about it, it is amazing to think that on week 1, day 1 it was difficult for me to jog for 1 minute, I was soooo out of breath after about 45 seconds. Now tonight I went 20 minutes STRAIGHT? Blows my mind :happy:

Fantastic congratulations Maureen!! :happy: I'm so happy for you.

I'm about to get ready to head out for another go here. It's earlier in the day than last time, I'm just letting my breakfast settle & then I'm off! *crosses fingers*
  • beattie1
    Options
    And now I'm back with W5D3 under my belt! High five, Maureen! :happy: *does happy dance*

I set out earlier in the day so it was a bit cooler, rejigged my route so the hills came earlier on in the run, and talked down my mind when it wanted to stop running at 16 minutes. In fact, I ran an extra minute, just to show myself I could - and to reach the path I'd intended to walk along for my cool down.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In May I had finished Week 4, then summer intervened and I was away for most of June, and these joints aren't ready yet for the punishment of pavement. Sigh. So, last night I started again. To test myself I upped my "run" speed from 4.0mph to 5.0mph. I figured it may take me a few tries to make it through, like it did when I first started the program, but that I would eventually have the stamina to continue. Well, I made it through on the first try!! My knees are a little sore today but nothing terrible yet (fingers crossed), so I might even survive to do Day 2 later this week!
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    And now I'm back with W5D3 under my belt! High five, Maureen! :happy: *does happy dance*

I set out earlier in the day so it was a bit cooler, rejigged my route so the hills came earlier on in the run, and talked down my mind when it wanted to stop running at 16 minutes. In fact, I ran an extra minute, just to show myself I could - and to reach the path I'd intended to walk along for my cool down.

Way to go Beattie!!
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am doing W6D3 tomorrow... No more walking intervals for me! Going from W5D3 (running 20 min) to W6 D1&2 I was worried about going back to intervals... Day 1 was hard, but on Day 2 I 'almost' welcomed the walk break. I am ready, though, to just get out there and run!!

Starting slow and getting in to rhythm is definitely key for me... It takes me about 4 minutes before I am in my "zone" and I always try to run harder when the voice tells me "one minute remaining" just to finish strong.
  • cassienewquist
    cassienewquist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am stuck! I made it to W5, D3 and could not and can not jog for 20 minutes straight. I can do week 6, with the intervals. The longest I can run so far is 8 minutes without walking. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me get past this point? I am thinking it is mostly mental. I walk at 3.5 and jog at 5.2. HELP!!!! I really want to participate in a 5K this summer and be able to run the whole thing!
  • beattie1
    Options
    I am stuck! I made it to W5, D3 and could not and can not jog for 20 minutes straight. I can do week 6, with the intervals. The longest I can run so far is 8 minutes without walking. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me get past this point? I am thinking it is mostly mental. I walk at 3.5 and jog at 5.2. HELP!!!! I really want to participate in a 5K this summer and be able to run the whole thing!

Other than run slower so you've got some reserve and force yourself to continue when you get the urge to stop, I don't know. I run outside so have no idea of my pace, but it seems very slow to me.

I noticed, right from the beginning, that my brain seems to have an inbuilt timer that remembers how long I ran for last time and it tells me to stop running then. In week 2 I knew exactly when 1 minute was up *every single time* because I'd get the urge to stop running and walk. I think it's significant that you can run for 8 minutes - the longest time you've run before the W5D3 20 minute challenge.

If you can't force yourself to keep going you'll have to walk for a bit, but cut that walk as short as possible and get running again ASAP. Then you can work towards continuous running.
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    Thanks beattie!!! :bigsmile: Congrats to you as well!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    I agree with beattie....make sure you are going at a slow pace. I was worried about speed when I started but my son who is in track and a very good runner told me do not worry about speed at all. You have to build endurance first and be able to run for a good length of time. THEN you can work on speed if you want. Run at a conversational pace. I do all my running outside so I don't know what my pace is...but I know I am not running very fast.
  • cassienewquist
    cassienewquist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Tomorrow I will try to run around 5mph and see if it helps me stretch the run out a little longer. I don't want to go below 4.8mph though. If I can increase my run times by 30 seconds at a time, I'd be happy!! The C2 5K program frustrates me when it jumps from 3-5 min then 5-8 min, then to 10 or 20 minutes of running. I need to tailor it a bit for myself to succeed I think. Whatever it takes!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi all! So glad I found this thread. Tonight is the infamous Week 5, Day 3 run for me, and I am nervous and excited. Mostly nervous that I won't be able to do it, haha. Guess we will see tonight.

Anyone feel free to add me!
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I posted this in another thread - but it pertains to your question:

If you are struggling to finish a day - slow down.

Someone here suggested listening to audio books or podcasts once you get to the longer runs. Whoever that was...THANK YOU!

Just by switching from music to audio books, I slowed my pace down, and my mind focused on the story and not the run. I chose a book (11/22/63) that I have been wanting to read but never started because it is so long. Now I can't wait to go back out and run to hear the next chapter. In fact I am sometimes extending my walk/run just to hear more of the book. And that book is like 30 hrs long so I have motivation for lots more runs.
  • mbrtron
    mbrtron Posts: 45
    Options
    I run on T/Th/S. I do other cardio and strength M/W/F, or at least 2 of those days. I was running every time I went to the gym and was having a hard time with endurance. Once I started making sure I had at least a day between runs, it improved.

I'm a total clock watcher when I run. That's how I made it the extra 3 minutes though. I got to the end of my 5 minute run and was like, I'm going to go an extra minute. Then when I got to my 6th minute, I challenged myself to one more, etc.
  • beattie1
    Options
    Hi all! So glad I found this thread. Tonight is the infamous Week 5, Day 3 run for me, and I am nervous and excited. Mostly nervous that I won't be able to do it, haha. Guess we will see tonight.

Anyone feel free to add me!

Good luck Astralweeks82. Let us know how you got on.
  • macielittle
    macielittle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    After finishing week 4 I knew I wasn't ready to handle week 5. Instead I did some previous week runs (but faster and with more ease) last week and on Monday I ran for as long as I thought was safe (I was doing a cleanse) without stopping or looking and it turned out that I ran 10 minutes straight and I know I could have gone further. Today I am picking up week 5 day 1 but am not guaranteeing that I will move onto day 2 without redoing old days or testing myself again beforehand.

I agree with everyone that has said if it's going too fast slow, it down; do what you can handle. I should be on day 2 of week 6 today but I'm not and I'm okay with that. I know I will get to the end when my body is ready. It's just important to keep doing something and we will get there!
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Fantastic, I went back too W2 D3 due to sore ankle and knee. But I am so wanting to go up to Week 3 starting Monday.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I just finished W2...I am doing each week for 2 weeks instead of one so it will take longer but I want to be successful.

Good advice on the slowing down - in fact, when I was observing other runners, I noticed some do move at a slower pace but are probably able to run for a good amount of time. So, speed isn't an issue at this point, it's endurance.

Saturday, I will start Week 3 on Saturday...
  • dreamingt79
    dreamingt79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've tried this program 2x and have dropped off both times. The thing is I hate running but think its going to be the only catalyst to lose some weight. How can I push past the Hating running thing?