How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I guess I could slow down a little more, IF I can't make my goal on Sunday. LOL :)

I am looking for some advice or opinions on my bilateral calf pain. It feels muscular and starts after my runs, but today it was bad enough that I stopped during walking about 18 minutes in. I am wondering if this is due to my running style? I don't know much about that, so any advice! I drink 8-14 cups of water daily, so it shouldn't be hydration problems. Hmmmmm.

I just found this thread that addresses your query, and some other peoples' too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/398883-tips-tricks
  • cassienewquist
    cassienewquist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I guess I could slow down a little more, IF I can't make my goal on Sunday. LOL :)

I am looking for some advice or opinions on my bilateral calf pain. It feels muscular and starts after my runs, but today it was bad enough that I stopped during walking about 18 minutes in. I am wondering if this is due to my running style? I don't know much about that, so any advice! I drink 8-14 cups of water daily, so it shouldn't be hydration problems. Hmmmmm.

I just found this thread that addresses your query, and some other peoples' too.

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!! I am going to slow down more and then try adjusting my running style if needed. There are so many good tips there I didn't finsih reading. Will be referring to it later I am sure!
  • beattie1
    Options

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!! I am going to slow down more and then try adjusting my running style if needed. There are so many good tips there I didn't finsih reading. Will be referring to it later I am sure!
    Yeah, I found that whole group area really helpful. I found it a couple of days ago and I read a few stickies every day to get up to speed - in more ways than one! :wink:
  • mbrtron
    mbrtron Posts: 45
    Options
    Oh my gosh guys. Today was supposed to be W6D2 for me. I was feeling good so I challenged myself to run through my 3 minute walk break and then kept running 3 minutes into the cool down time for a total of 26 minutes!!! 6 weeks ago, week one was kicking my butt and even last week, the idea of no intervals was so intimidating. I feel amazing.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    mbrtron that is wonderful, good for you!!! :smile:

Thanks to all the advice and comments about my leg pain everyone :flowerforyou: I had 2 days off and thought I would try week 6, day 1 today. If I was in pain I had planned to stop and not push it and give it more time. I did fine and completed it! :smile: So we will see how it goes. DLC1978, I am running outside and I did consider that about my road since it was most of my right leg..not just my knee. My knee, ankle, top of my foot and bottom of my heel.
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    cnewquist glad that slowing down helped you! :smile:
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hey all! After being put off a few days for reasons beyond my control, today... I did it you guys! C25K week 5, day 3... the 20 minute run! It was incredible! I feel GREAT. I thought for sure it would be almost impossible but I freakin' DID IT and I am ridiculously excited and proud :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Hey all! After being put off a few days for reasons beyond my control, today... I did it you guys! C25K week 5, day 3... the 20 minute run! It was incredible! I feel GREAT. I thought for sure it would be almost impossible but I freakin' DID IT and I am ridiculously excited and proud :)

Congrats! I remember w5d3, that was when the light clicked on for me and I was like.. oh wow. I can actually do this. I'm a runner! Haha. You should be super proud.
  • beattie1
    Options

Congratulations! You did it! :happy: :drinker:
    BTW, there's a typo in your post. That last line should read
    "I freakin' DID IT and I am deservedly excited and proud :) "
  • cassienewquist
    Options
    High Fives to everyone that has found running and are improving themselves!! It feels great to really push yourself and reap the rewards!!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Yesterday, I decided to try running outside with my guy. We didn't do C25K, it was more a test for me to see how I can run outside since I've been using the treadmill. We hit the pavement around 10:00am. It wasn't too hot out (we've been having a heat wave here) but it was humid, and while we wound up running for a mile and a half, I had to stop a few times due to feeling like I couldn't breathe, and to buy a bottle of water because I forgot to bring some! Still, the walking bits were only for 15-20 seconds tops so it was mostly running. My pace was about 4mph which is faster than I go on the treadmill so maybe next time if I slow it down a tad I'll have to stop less. Thinking I will try to do more outdoor running.
  • mrsmkj06
    mrsmkj06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like to start the c25k and run in the Race for the Cure on October 5, but I'm not sure I will be ready by that date. I currently weigh 251 and I don't know if I can run continuously for 3.1 miles at this weight. Should I start with just walking until I can lose a good amount of weight?
  • cassienewquist
    Options
    Thanks all! Yesterday, I decided to try running outside with my guy. We didn't do C25K, it was more a test for me to see how I can run outside since I've been using the treadmill. We hit the pavement around 10:00am. It wasn't too hot out (we've been having a heat wave here) but it was humid, and while we wound up running for a mile and a half, I had to stop a few times due to feeling like I couldn't breathe, and to buy a bottle of water because I forgot to bring some! Still, the walking bits were only for 15-20 seconds tops so it was mostly running. My pace was about 4mph which is faster than I go on the treadmill so maybe next time if I slow it down a tad I'll have to stop less. Thinking I will try to do more outdoor running.

Great Job!!
  • amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K back in Feb and stopped at week 3, for whatever reason (can't remember). I am planning on starting over today to prepare for Run or Dye in October. I have dropped about 20lbs since Feb so I'm hoping it will be a bit easier this time. Here's hoping!
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would like to start the c25k and run in the Race for the Cure on October 5, but I'm not sure I will be ready by that date. I currently weigh 251 and I don't know if I can run continuously for 3.1 miles at this weight. Should I start with just walking until I can lose a good amount of weight?

I would say start it and if you are not quite up to running continuously on October 5, then just do intervals! You will be much further along by then if you start today :)

In terms of your weight, I (personally) do not think that should stop you. Just listen to your body and go SLOW and you will become more and more comfortable and will get faster.

Best of luck! Looking forward to your updates!
  • DLC1978
    Options
    Week 7, Day 1 complete this morning. It was so strange because I really never felt like "I can't do this"... When I came upon a hill (that was new on my route because I went further than I have been), I just slowed down and thought to myself "one step at a time".

Happy Running everyone! :bigsmile:
  • MaureenH39
    Options
    Great job DLC!!! I did week 6, day 2 last night so no more intervals for me! Seems strange! 22 minutes next time :happy:
  • beattie1
    Options
    Great job everyone!
    I delayed doing W6D2 til today as one knee has been a bit sore. I did a whole lot of aerobics yesterday instead. Our local college was doing assessments for the "Exercise to Music" students and needed class participants for them to work on so I volunteered there for a few hours.

I'm just waiting for it to cool off a bit more then I'm going out to tackle c25k again tonight.
  • beattie1
    Options
    ....aaand here I am, back home again, glowing and done for today. 2 x 10 minutes with a 3 minute walking break done and dusted, and feeling good!! :happy:
  • DLC1978
    Options
    Way to go beattie! That's awesome that you were able to volunteer AND get some exercise in yesterday!