Is it rude not to cater for allergies/special diets?

Options

Replies

• Susieout
    Susieout Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that its become the fashion to have allergies!

I didn't know one person with a allergy when I was a kid!!

Ps. I know some of you won't like this comment but its my opinion!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You have to stop at some point, you can't please everyone.
    When we were sorting out my sisters menu it was so difficult. It was extremely expensive just for one option let alone more so we went on the majority. The normal menu, and a vegetarian menu. People know what they are allowed and not allowed so they can decide for themselves on the day also on the invite it asked about allergies (allergies are pretty important) If they didny write it on there then their problem. Personally I didn't like the menu, I throw up if I eat cheesecake (I have no idea why I just do aha) but she wanted cheesecake and I just didn't have it. My dad is diabetic, he took a bite and knew thats his limit. It was my sisters + her husbands day, not a meal out.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but whenever I've been over to a vegan/vegetarian's house to eat dinner, I wasn't offered a steak (or any other meat, for that matter).

This is always such an interesting assumption. I'm not sure why meat-eaters think they're not catered for when they're served perfectly edible food that doesn't contain specific ingredients they like, or why they think it's comparable to serving food containing ingredients that other people can't eat.

Yeah I don't like this arguement either.
    A vegetarian won't serve you meat products because they dont agree with the slaughter of animals for human consumption, so to buy meat and serve it to you is going against their beliefs. If they serve it to you, they may as well eat it themselves.

However if you decide to not prepare a meal for a vegetarian, it's not because you're against killing a vegetable for them. It's because you are disrespectful.

It's a belief though.. your body won't reject meat naturally but your mind may tell it to depending on how anti-meat/dairy you are. Complete difference from having a life threatening or even mild allergy.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think your comment is funny
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Being lactose intolerant, I would expect there to be a food choice I could eat if I had been invited to a wedding reception. If the RSVP didn't specifically ask, I would make sure it was known.

I would consider it very rude for them to ignore the dietary requirements of one of their guests, when informed about it.

But you can't be expected to have food for every dietary requirement just in case. That would be silly!

As for dieting, you can give options and they can choose the lowest calorie, but if their going to be so specific as to only eat slim fast or something then I think they would have to be expected to cater for themselves.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think if you ask on your invites, and someone specifies an allergy/intolerance or vegetarian/vegan then it would be rude to ignore it.

However, for none medical specific diets? No! If you are on a specific diet, then you get the free meal and you eat just the bits you can. Or you say hey, thanks, but I am going to eat at home because I am only eating raw frutarian and I cannot expect you to deal with that on your busy day!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but whenever I've been over to a vegan/vegetarian's house to eat dinner, I wasn't offered a steak (or any other meat, for that matter).

This is always such an interesting assumption. I'm not sure why meat-eaters think they're not catered for when they're served perfectly edible food that doesn't contain specific ingredients they like, or why they think it's comparable to serving food containing ingredients that other people can't eat.

Same goes for vegans/veges as well I think.....

YES absolutely, they are served perfectly edible food as well containing "ingredients they don't like".
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    If someone has a true allergy to a particular food, then they will usually make this known before an eating event, and in that case it really would be rude not to cater for them. If you know that one of your friends is a vegan/ vegetarian/ is more comfortable gluten free, then it is a kindness to provide food they can eat. If I am asked to take a dish to a party, I always label who it would be suitable for (vegetarian, lactose free) etc and it really does help at a buffet. If someone happens to be on a "diet" short term, and the day of the party happens to fall in it, I don't think its reasonable for that person to expect special treatment.
  • RaquelCasul
    Options
    It's a belief though.. your body won't reject meat naturally but your mind may tell it to depending on how anti-meat/dairy you are. Complete difference from having a life threatening or even mild allergy.

I'd agree that it's a higher priority to cater for an allergy. There's a huge difference between potentially killing someone and just letting them go hungry for a few hours (though, normally, there's a side dish or two, particularly if the catering is buffet style). Though I do still think that the latter is quite rude, if it were within your power to prevent it, and you fed everyone else.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Same goes for vegans/veges as well I think.....

YES absolutely, they are served perfectly edible food as well containing "ingredients they don't like".

That's what I'm sayin'... huge double standard. You know, I have always hated nuts.. when people serve me stuff with nuts on them, I take em off and eat the rest.. sometimes I offer them to my husband so it doesn't go to waste. But I'm not gonna make a huge deal because of my belief that I hate and must not eat nuts!!
  • RaquelCasul
    Options

How interesting. Would you serve non-kosher food to a Jewish person, or non-Halal meat to a practicing Muslim? Or is it just non-religious beliefs/decisions that are ignored?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If you know someone has an allergy, then it would be nice if you provided food they could eat. If you find out really late, it would still be nice to try to throw something together for them, if you can.

However, when it comes down to it, you are responsible for your own dietary requirements and planning accordingly. Whether it's allergies, requiring kosher or halal food, or veg*n food.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I'd agree that it's a higher priority to cater for an allergy. There's a huge difference between potentially killing someone and just letting them go hungry for a few hours (though, normally, there's a side dish or two, particularly if the catering is buffet style). Though I do still think that the latter is quite rude, if it were within your power to prevent it, and you fed everyone else.

It is rude but if someone else is paying for you to wine and dine, I wouldn't complain or even be upset about it. If I had a penny for everyone time someone didn't consider my feelings or beliefs, I'd be filthy rich.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Yes!!! Thank you I'm glad someone finally came out and said it. Having (fake) wheat / gluten / peanut allergies is all the rage these days.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

How interesting. Would you serve non-kosher food to a Jewish person, or non-Halal meat to a practicing Muslim? Or is it just non-religious beliefs/decisions that are ignored?

I don't dine with kosher jews or muslims on a regular basis these days. If they were invited to my house for dinner and accepted, they would be responsible to sort their issues out. Not me. If someone invites me for dinner, I don't give them the run down of my dietary requirements. How ridiculous!
  • RaquelCasul
    Options
    It is rude but if someone else is paying for you to wine and dine, I wouldn't complain or even be upset about it. If I had a penny for everyone time someone didn't consider my feelings or beliefs, I'd be filthy rich.

Thinking about it, I was picturing specifically the weddings I'd be/have been invited to, which were typically very small groups of close friends. It would be very out-of-character for them to ignore veganism or celiac disease, since most of them are one of the other! I guess I wouldn't be hurt at the wedding of someone else; just grumpy from hunger.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I had a feeling that this would be brought up. A very valid point though.

I'm not religious so I've been inconvenienced and offended most of my life by other people's religious wants/needs/desires/beliefs.. unfortunately, many people do not cater to me. I don't think all the dishes at a typical wedding are going to be ones with pork in it or non-Halal meat nor have I really ever seen a practicing Jew go to a non-Jewish person's wedding. I'm not sure if veggies have to be Kosher too but they can always eat that if they are hungry. Or someone could pay for my catering expenses should they feel they need to be accommodated.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Very many people who have allergies did not choose them.
    One would not ever choose to have a severe anaphalactic allergy to nuts or shell fish.
    Some will be so sensitive that even a small particle will cause a medical emergency.
    If you are catering for people and they indicate that they have an allergy or special dietary need - then you do need to cater for those needs.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • RaquelCasul
    Options

I don't dine with kosher jews or muslims on a regular basis these days. If they were invited to my house for dinner and accepted, they would be responsible to sort their issues out. Not me. If someone invites me for dinner, I don't give them the run down of my dietary requirements. How ridiculous!

Ha! At least you're fair about it.:)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I con honestly say I've never invited someone for a meal and haven't asked if they have dietary requirements. I'd rather check, and cater accordingly and have a nice meal with my guests than churlishly sit there and say "tough cookies" to a guest I'd invited to dine with me. That's the most basic of hospitality!!