Is it rude not to cater for allergies/special diets?

Options

Replies

• deedee303z
    Options
    Good grief! It's simple enough to have at least one or two veg friendly dishes--not every dish has to have some sort of meat in it to taste good and it's a simple kindness to offer plenty of options to all guests. Just having a couple of veg dishes covers a LOT of bases in regards to food intolerances and allergies (no milk, cheese, eggs, or other meat products). Not having peanuts or soy if you know that you have at least one guest who cannot safely eat them also shouldn't be additional cost or hassle. Having a few dishes without wheat or grain products shouldn't be a huge stretch either--most meals will naturally have dishes that don't. It's a matter of common sense and providing a reasonable variety so that all (or at least most) of the invited guests will be able to find something that they would like to eat.

And anyone who has been a vegetarian for any extended period of time is NOT just being picky--they literally cannot digest meat properly anymore so it will truly make them physically ill. Besides, for those of you complaining that a veg would not serve a carnivore meat at dinner--do you really want someone preparing a food for you that that don't eat themselves just because you cannot go without one particular ingredient for one meal?

And I'm not a vegetarian BTW. I just know quite a few of them.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weddings anymore, it's been a long time since I've been to one of those. But speaking from the viewpoint of entertaining from my home, I have to say I too am skeptical of all the allergies out there, where did the all come from suddenly?? Here in CO it is very in-fashion to be gluten-free as part of a healthy diet - not something I personally do. My daughter has a particular friend who through school has always had gluten/soy and banana allergies and so every birthday she gets something different and my daughter couldn't bring bananas in her lunch all through preschool. Come to find out as these two have gotten closer over the years that 1) she has a banana a home but can only have 1/2 at a time otherwise she might get a rash and 2) she's not gluten/soy allergic but some of her family is so they have chosen to raise her that way. Only they aren't always consistent ( ie over the holidays they let it fall apart), and the parents don't eat that way. Just annoyed that over the years how I've catered to this child for lunches, playdates and birthdays, that it's really her parent's lifestyle choice for her....

When I invite a friend over for dinner that truly has an allergy, I will absolutely cater to them if I know in advance and they don't think I'll remember. I always forget that my husband's best friend is allergic to shellfish.

I think that if I had life-threatening I wouldn't trust that responsibility anyone but myself.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think a fair point has been made. I would not invite someone for dinner or to my wedding unless I liked them. If I liked them, I'd care about what they ate. We had some vegetarian friends for dinner, and made a veggie meal for them a couple of weeks ago. I invited them because I like them, and I respect their decisions not to eat meat. It didn't kill me not to eat meat in my own meal. If it bothered me, I'd make seperate meals, or just not invite them! I've been guilty of messing up before (catering for a work event I forgot one of my staff was lactose intollerant, and felt awful when I realised I'd not catered for her), but on the whole, why would you not?! If I invite someone around for dinner, my first question is "Is there anything you don't eat". I ask this because I know if the tables were turned and I was served a ginger and anaseed flavoured main course with a coffee cake dessert, I'd be disappointed. My husband doesn't like fish very much so if we went to someones dinner party and they cooked salmon, it would be a disaster and embarrassing.

Weddings may be a slightly different kettle of fish, but then if you want to pay £50+ a head for a crappy mass produced piece-of-crap meal, with caterers that charge extra for any special diet food.... then that's your choice. I had a friend cater mine, with gorgeous home made food, which we knew every ingredient that went into it... so everyone was catered for! Easy.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    life threatening allergy = yes
    picky eater = gtfo
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends has a life threatening allergy to peanuts and has celiac disease. When we were planning our wedding, we chose a caterer who was willing to work with us to ensure that at least some of the food selections would be appropriate to her. We didn't do a sit down meal, though, we had a cocktail reception with canapes, so it wasn't too hard to make sure that some of the food choices were OK for her.

Personally, I try to accommodate people, provided they give me sufficient notice. We have many friends and family members with dietary restrictions (some medical, some not) so we did our best to make sure our wedding could accommodate a variety of dietary needs.

ETA: one guest had decided to become vegan less than a week before the wedding and she was out of luck.... we had vegetarian options, but nothing vegan.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that its become the fashion to have allergies!

I didn't know one person with a allergy when I was a kid!!

Ps. I know some of you won't like this comment but its my opinion!

That's okay. Not everyone's opinion is backed up with science. You're fine.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    'We have tons of allergies and celiac's in our family. Every holiday will find a variety of foods, in fact, you will find two or more versions of the same food on the table that cater to everyone's issues. For example, this Easter we had 3 baked bean different baked bean dishes. It was no problem here at home.

For a wedding, I would NEVER expect the bride and groom to accommodate our issues. We bring food with us that is tolerated and fill in the blanks with what is served.

D
  • RaquelCasul
    Options
    ...the friend let the OP that she probably couldn't cater to your diet so that OP would be prepared, so I would take that into consideration before considering her rude or not.

I think you misread my post. That's not really an accurate summary.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but whenever I've been over to a vegan/vegetarian's house to eat dinner, I wasn't offered a steak (or any other meat, for that matter).

This is always such an interesting assumption. I'm not sure why meat-eaters think they're not catered for when they're served perfectly edible food that doesn't contain specific ingredients they like, or why they think it's comparable to serving food containing ingredients that other people can't eat.

Same goes for vegans/veges as well I think.....

Exactly. Meat is also "perfectly edible food".

Also, couldn't we consider it rude for a guest to expect the host to adjust their plans and preparations for them, especially when we're talking a large group event?

It would be nice if everyone could be accommodated. But there are limits and the host may not have time, knowledge, or money to do that.

To me, there's a difference between a health issue and a preference issue. If I was in a situation where I had to choose between accommodating people with allergies and accommodating those who have simply chosen a dietary path, the person comes to me and says "I will get physically, possibly gravely, ill, if I eat certain foods" will have priority over the one who who says "this food isn't a part of the diet I've chosen for myself" when it comes to accommodation. (And I'm the guy who always brings a few veggie burgers to the office cookouts just in case there's a few vegetarians who flew in under the radar.)
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite bloggers is engaged, and writing a lot of guest posts on wedding dilemmas. On one of her recent posts, she included the line "you don't have to cater for every allergy/diet".

I really disagree with this. I think it would be incredibly rude to invite a celiac, vegan, vegetarian, person with a nut-allergy, etc, to your wedding, with the proviso that you'll be serving edible food to everyone except them.:/

We did discuss this a little, and it turns out that I was picturing a scenario where you knew about the allergy/diet in advance, while she was picturing a scenario where you only found out late in the day. However, she did still say that she wouldn't feel the need to cater for one lone vegan, who would be "used to fending for themselves".

Having been that one lone vegan, I would be quite hurt if someone whom I liked enough to attend their wedding fed everyone but me.:(

I'd love to hear some other thoughts on this. I'm aware that I'm heavily biased due to the vegan thing. Plus, I've never organised a wedding.

Where should the line be drawn? Allergies, like celiac disease or nut allergies? Choices like veganism or vegetarianism? Special diets like atkins or the cabbage soup diet?

Well... I kind of assume vegans go to parties quite often where there are dishes served that vegans choose not to eat. It might just be me being naive, because I live in the cheese capital of the world, though. I'm a picky eater, I used to be worse as a child, but there are some dishes that are regular party staples here that I can't stand. But there's always something I will enjoy eating somewhere, and I eat that. I kind of view any kind of nonmedical dietary restriction that way- I would not be holding a big fancy party where there's only one dish, and if you don't want to eat one of the dishes, eat another instead. Now, I might make sure that the rice dish wasn't cooked in chicken broth or butter, and that there was a nice salad bar or sauteed mushroom dish or something, but I'm not going to serve a vegan only buffet because I invited a vegan- hopefully my vegan friend will be mature enough to watch other people eat bacon if they choose to and she doesn't.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but whenever I've been over to a vegan/vegetarian's house to eat dinner, I wasn't offered a steak (or any other meat, for that matter).

This is always such an interesting assumption. I'm not sure why meat-eaters think they're not catered for when they're served perfectly edible food that doesn't contain specific ingredients they like, or why they think it's comparable to serving food containing ingredients that other people can't eat.

Yeah I don't like this arguement either.
    A vegetarian won't serve you meat products because they dont agree with the slaughter of animals for human consumption, so to buy meat and serve it to you is going against their beliefs. If they serve it to you, they may as well eat it themselves.

However if you decide to not prepare a meal for a vegetarian, it's not because you're against killing a vegetable for them. It's because you are disrespectful.

The truth of the matter is if you force a meat eater to conform to your eating pallet than you are not catering to them. You are simply feeding them. It is literally no different from a meat eater asking the vegetarian to conform to their eating pallet. These responses do a fantastic job of showing how self entitled a person can be. What is sounds like you're saying is this "It is ok for me to force you to eat like me but it is not ok for you to force me to eat like you." Like it or not a wedding is a huge event and when feeding that many people it can be difficult if you are the one imposing the extra restrictions on your diet simply because of your own personal beliefs then you are going to have to accept the fact that you will end up doing some self accommodating.

I think the first response did have a point when mentioning the "perfectly edible food" part. A steak is perfectly edible. If you have an allergy or something like that and you actually can't eat it then that is separate and distinct from won't eat it. Obviously if I know ahead of time I'll provide something else but if I don't know and you turn your nose up at a steak I offer based solely on your beliefs then you had better hope that something else I have prepared falls within your acceptable pallet because I will eventually get to the point where I won't deal with it anymore. I once had a cup of tea declined by a guest because she knew that the sugar I was using in the tea had been harvested with the help of animals. I immediately stopped trying to accommodate her and I did not feel that was even remotely disrespectful.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    ?
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Sorry, but whenever I've been over to a vegan/vegetarian's house to eat dinner, I wasn't offered a steak (or any other meat, for that matter). I lived as a veggie/vegan for 20 years and never, ever cooked meat for a meat eating guest, and they didn't expect me to.

I now have gluten intolerance and am insulin resistant, and allergic to several different foods. I don't ever expect anyone to cater to my weirdness, and don't even mention it when I'm invited somewhere. I see it as my own responsibility to figure out what I can eat in any given situation, not someone else's problem.

I have been non-meat eating for almost 2 years now (still eat seafood). Whenever we have company, I ALWAYS make sure there are meat options. For instance, my mother doesn't eat fish so I fix chicken for her. For my birthday, we had a taco bar. We served beef, pork and chicken along with various vegetarian and vegan options. I recognize that this is my choice and not someone else's. But I want people to be comfortable in my home and would want them to be comfortable at my wedding as well.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    If I had to cater to everyone's needs... I just wouldn't... there would be no food, no drink, no nothing. It's stressful enough planning a wedding in the first place without having to eliminate basically everything for everyone regardless if it's a known allergy/illness/disorder or not. And I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure the big bad world is not going cater to everyone's needs either... otherwise there wouldn't be niche food markets and food would be way more expensive because everything would be processed in sterile environments to make sure molecules from one food wouldn't get on another in every instance.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    We sent out our wedding invites yesterday and the RSVPs specifically ask if there are any dietary requirements. I've never found a reception venue (and I've worked at a bunch) who don't expect to cater for dietary needs and charge extra or anything, its just par for the course that as a hospitality venue you will need to cater for dietary needs.

This is what I am doing with my invitations, because we are serving 1 meal. I know of two people who will need a different meal, which I am going to do that. We aren't doing any seafood or nuts due to allergies, and I just don't want them at my big day. I say it is a personal preference for everyone, but I am inviting those people and I don't want them to not be able to eat... That is just not cool in my eyes and I would want them to do the same for my allergies.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Do what my brother did?

"This is the menu for the wedding. If you can't or won't eat what's on the menu, please organise your own food."

Nobody complained.
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Same goes for vegans/veges as well I think.....

^^^^this! Vegans/veges usually CHOOSE not to eat meat and/or dairy products. There is no difference...both groups are choosing ingredients they like!
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    this is a question that would not even been asked 15 years ago... we are such a catering society, sure it would be nice if you have the money and time to go through the trouble but come on..it's an event for tons of people! you have to get pretty generic, you wouldn't ask everyone favorite flavor cake for a bday party ... should the icing have milk because someone may be lactose intolerant
  • LngHrDntCr13
    LngHrDntCr13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a celiac myself and I get extremely sick if I eat anything with the slightest amount of wheat/wheat gluten. I never expect anyone to cater to my specific dietary needs, but I'm always so thankful when someone goes out of their way to make sure I can have an enjoyable snack or meal. And it doesn't have to be a huge expensive plate. A grilled chicken salad or a fruit bowl is a nice gesture!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    There are so many people on some kind of special diet anymore that I think if I were planning an event, I would try to have a little something for everyone for the most common stuff. Most people who eat meat don't necessarily put meat in every single dish and if there were fruit/vegetable trays and such then most guests should be able to find something. I know at least two people with celiac, numerous people who are lactose-intolerant, vegans, vegetarians who eat eggs/dairy, people with peanut allergies, shellfish allergies, etc. It's true, they are used to fending for themselves.

The only time I find it really rude is if you specifically invite a vegetarian (for example) to eat at your home and don't make a single dish she can eat, because then it's about making a point.