My opinion (don't read if you're overly sensitive)

Options

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Sex has been proven to enhance mood with other benefits :P PLUS it's awesome and you could log it as circuit training.

You can log sex? I looked for it....but I guess in the wrong place.

Circuit training huh..ok..

And now wait for the comments....

Meh. You gotta have it first. Don't look at my diary.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Many people find it really hard to take advice from someone who lacks even a rudimentary understanding of spelling, punctuation, and grammar rules.

In addition, come talk to us when you aren't a 19 year old know-it-all. You have NO FRELLING CLUE what other people have gone through in their lives. While for the majority of the people (yourself included, apparently) it's just a matter of getting off their *kitten* and getting it done. For other people...people who struggle with past abuse, self-esteem issues, addiction issues, working 80 hours a week to support a family...well, it's not quite that simple.

You don't want to support the "whiners"? Fine. Don't. However, posting a wall of text bashing people who post their struggles is just frelling rude.

Just my opinion. :flowerforyou:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Since I know you love kitties and maybe want some affirmation of your opinions of how others should live:

tumblr_mb8vvaZW451ri08goo1_500.gif

Aww. It's a real thread now!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    OP spends far too much energy caring about other people's lives judging by her recent posts.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Dearest OP,

Have you reached your goals yet? If not, what's your excuse?
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Oh. She's 19? I should learn to check things like that before answering. Never mind.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    And what is it with the 19-20 something mothers who want to give so much advice about life on this site? SMH
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    And what is it with the 19-20 something mothers who want to give so much advice about life on this site? SMH

Right, they haven't even had time to work full time, get married, have a kid, or two, or three, or four, money issues, layoffs, home repairs, car repairs, death of loved ones, ill health...

Come see me when you're 51 and we'll hear what tune you're singing then.

Disclaimer: I am 51 and a non-complainer, but old enough to recognize you can't bully someone into better health. You can encourage and motivate, and sympathize or empathize, but not browbeat and bully, unless of course they're paying you for that.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Aside from telling someone who is depressed to "suck it up", I agree with it all.

Agreed. Completely. There is actually scientific evidence that depression is a debilitating medical problem. It can be very difficult for people to overcome. I am not clinically depressed, but I do have Lupus, and there are simply some days where I cannot muster the energy, the ability, or the strength to work out. It just doesn't happen. It's not an excuse, it's my reality. I want to get healthy and fit, and as a part of that, I have to respect that my body just sometimes CAN'T. And then I have to ride it out and wait for the time when my body CAN. I have seen multiple studies that show that depression can have that same debilitating impact.

There are SOME really stupid excuses out there for not working out. I 100% agree that a gym membership is NOT necessary to work. I do NOT have a gym membership and I still manage to work out 4-5 days a week on weeks where my body will cooperate. I also do not have a lot of money (ummm, because I spend it all on the rheumatologist and nephrologist so I don't DIE) and I still manage to eat healthy on a regular basis.

I also noticed on this thread that some guy said that he deleted someone for saying that their shampoo and hair products were affecting their weight loss. While this can be a lame excuse, it can also be TRUE. If you are using products with propylene glycol in them, and you happen to have an allergy (about 45% of people are actually allergic to this ingredient) then it can cause inflammation in your body by getting into your hair follicles and distributing through your body. The solution of course is to change your products to something natural and it's not an excuse, but it can take months for that to work out of your system completely.

I still think that it is very important for people to understand that unless you are educated in immunology, rheumatology, nephrology, oncology, and psychology, then you likely have NO CLUE what is a real reason for not working out or eating healthy and what isn't.

The bigger question is why you spend so much time worrying about other people's reasons to be or not to be. Do you really need to control everyone? Or bring them down? Does it make you feel good to do that?

Instead, when you hear an excuse, why you don't you say something POSITIVE to help MOTIVATE that person???

When I hear someone say, "I'm too depressed to work out." I make positive suggestions to help them get some energy. Well, maybe try just sitting outside in the sun for a little bit and see if it helps. Or, What helps make you feel better? What used to make you feel good? Let's try that. Being decent to a person having a hard time is not that difficult. You may see it as an excuse, but they have a tremendous barrier in front of them. And being a bully is a demotivator.

So try a little tenderness.

Erm - does this mean I can say to people 'I'm not really obese, it's just the inflammation from RA making my stomach, *kitten* and boobs so darn huge'?

A few pounds could be inflammation (or steroid use) maybe, (outside kidney failure) but anything over that is fat caused by eating more calories than expended over time. There's no need for excuses, it's blatantly obvious that I've eaten too much for too long. I prioritised the physiological and psychological effects of eating too much over other, healthier responses to stress.

Now I don't want to do that anymore. There's no need to be all 'poor Bunnikins' about it. I'm not making any excuses. If I don't exercise, whether due to RA, flu or not wanting to get off the couch, I have to eat less. If I want to eat or drink more, I have to shift myself.

People can make all the excuses they want; I've had bad neighbours, I've been broke, I've been lazy, I've been and done many things that are listed in this thread as excuses. The fact remains that if you truly want to change, you'll find a way.

And then nobody has to listen to anymore lame excuses.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    The only one of those that is semi true, no 100% true, healthy food is WAY too expensive. I don't control the money in the house, my parents do, and they always hate when I buy healthier stuff because its expensive. Some of us are on a budget and healthy food CAN be REALLY expensive. From the super markets to a farmer's market, it is TOO expensive and makes me upset, because I want those healthy things!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but the rest of us would never have joined mfp at all if we weren't full of those same excuses at some point. I ate like a pig, didn't exercise, and whined about being fat. Now I'm here. We should try to remember that these excuse-filled people just aren't ready yet.

Agree.

I really don't like that I'm becoming judgemental as well though.

Someone who works for me is very overweight and seems to enjoy it.She celebrates what she calls "fat kid Friday" where she eats whatever she wants.Which really doesn't differ from the rest of the week.

She says she's in good health so she doesn't need to lose any weight and she can eat what she wants.

Both her parents have had heart attacks in the past year and I'm just really resisting the urge to say "You know,you turned 40 this year and should start to be more careful"

But I can't because that would be an HR nightmare.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Well, I do get that if you've screwed up, you want to keep other people from making the same mistakes. And if you are taking care of a newborn when others are still faking IDs to get into clubs, you feel like you know more than they do. I think the problem comes when you [meaning "universal You," not "you to whom I am replying" go barging up to other people explaining why you know better than they do how the world operates. Because nobody listens to that.

In fact, OP doesn't listen to that. Probably the adults in her life told her about a year ago not to cut class to hang out with that cute guy, and see how well that advice worked out.
  • holsieg
    holsieg Posts: 21
    Options
    For goodness sake, stop with the age bashing. There are plenty of older adults who would make similarly insensitive posts to this. She's 19, so? Stop with the patronising posts about how she hasn't had the life experience to understand. Just because we're young adults, doesn't mean that we haven't put up with some s*** in our lives. Why does everyone seem to think that anyone under the age of 25 is uneducated and naive?
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    OP spends far too much energy caring about other people's lives judging by her recent posts.

^ This.
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Why does one need motivation and support from others if they can achieve this alone? I would think recognizing that you need motivation and support from some other source than your self is the beginning step. Some people just achieve it more eloquently and timely than others. Most people offering excuses are looking for confirmation of their beliefs. I say offer them a caring response while not validating their excuses and then move on, ultimately it is their choice to remain there or move forward. It is your choice if you remain a witness.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Right, they haven't even had time to work full time, get married, have a kid, or two, or three, or four, money issues, layoffs, home repairs, car repairs, death of loved ones, ill health...

Come see me when you're 51 and we'll hear what tune you're singing then.

Disclaimer: I am 51 and a non-complainer, but old enough to recognize you can't bully someone into better health. You can encourage and motivate, and sympathize or empathize, but not browbeat and bully, unless of course they're paying you for that.

But... But she is very mature for her age ^^
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake, stop with the age bashing. There are plenty of older adults who would make similarly insensitive posts to this. She's 19, so? Stop with the patronising posts about how she hasn't had the life experience to understand. Just because we're young adults, doesn't mean that we haven't put up with some s*** in our lives. Why does everyone seem to think that anyone under the age of 25 is uneducated and naive?

Sweetheart... You're 18. Do you really want to do this? I don't want to bash anyone, I was just like you and the OP when I was your age. I thought I was so mature... No.
  • armajozim
    Options
    Very true! I thought I was depressed until I realized that lack of movement reduces the endorphins and dopomine that we naturally produce to keep us healthy. Anyone that is depressed, get them moving. Get them off the drugs. DO NOT ENABLE THEM!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Wow. Just wow. Way to be motivational and supportive. Dismissing and minimizing others problems is very supportive and motivational. You are a virtual paragon of compassion and empathy for your friends. Are you looking for the strike by setting up a divisive topic on purpose, or does this just come naturally to you?

And in case you missed it, sarcasmMeter-1266531711.jpeg

Yeah. Excuses suck. I try to never miss a gym day, and I try to eat healthy. Sometimes, my friends don't. I don't attack them and dismiss their feelings and problems. I help them find a way to overcome them.

Next, I am going to assume you are young and naive. You obviously don't have a lot of real world experience. You probably have never had to deal with spiteful neighbors, or threats of eviction from being disturbing of your neighbors.
    You probably have never had to deal with going hungry because you don't have a support network, or a job, or you have other competing priorities that take your money (like home repairs, car repairs, mortgages, etc) that leave you without a lot of money for groceries leaving you only crappy choices like processed non nutritive crap food.

You obviously have no idea what mental illness or depression is like. A person who is truly depressed does not just have a little sadness, and can't just "suck it up and get over it." Depression is crippling, and it takes therapy and likely medication. People who are depressed can barely get out of bed. Did you know that many people who start on anti-depressants kill themselves, or attempt to kill themselves after they are medicated. Do you know why? The reason why is that they have wanted to kill themselves for a long time, but didn't have the energy or motivation to do so until they were medicated, and began to feel good enough to follow through on their plans. Just think of the depth of how little they can accomplish if this is the case.

here is a suggestion, if you don't like your friends excuses, delete them. You obviously don't give a siht about them anyway. Dont' start a rant about them. Just STFU!

I like you.

Thanks. I've liked you for awhile too!

:flowerforyou:
  • rhelenl
    rhelenl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to make similar excuses to what you posted. Mine was: There's no point in trying to be healthy because I used to work out at a high intensity 2 hours at a time, sometimes twice a day (as part of training as a competitive rower) and I still wasn't skinny (the reality is that I was mostly muscle, although I could have done better with my eating at that time).

Until I really wanted to make a change I would use every excuse in the book. People have to want to change the way they eat and to start exercising. Until that time any and all excuses will fly with them, and any and all prodding by others will go unheard.
This discussion has been closed.