Pregnancy 2010 - May

Options

Replies

• mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Answering the challenge...If I liked fish I would eat it, I know how good for you it is! I haven't found anything that I like as far as fish goes :ohwell:

What am I looking forward to the most? Well, first of all I think the feeling of having a baby kicking inside of you has to be one of the most surreal, awesome feelings there is. What a blessing a baby is! We're very excited :love:
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!! O what a horrible wekk. I have been way off target with my eating and lack of exercise. Also, my Zumba instructor is moving to China, boo. :sad: I really don't want to step on the scale to see the damage. I'll let you know tomorrow...

~*~soon-to-be-dad for father's day gift~*~
    I don't know much about your hubby, but I would get him concert tickets or something where he can really go out and enjoy himself. Once the baby comes it will be a little harder to get out. I like to picture frame ideas. Just joking, but maybe a baby pack and tell him you carried the baby for 9 months now its his turn. :tongue: Good luck let us know what you decide!

:flowerforyou: Challenge: :flowerforyou:
    1. I LOVE salmon! I have it atleast once a week! I will enjoy every bit or bite of this challenge. :bigsmile:
    2. Haven't had any babes yet but, I agree, the baby kicking will be a pretty awesome feeling... I have God daughters and the look when they first wake up is great. It seems like they are looking right thru you to your heart. I can't wait for that feeling with my own.
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    lucy - my cycles have always been irregular (even on the pill), so I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer your question, but I find that if my exercise routine changes my cycles are a little delayed, like if I'm working out a little more/less than normal. It's possible you are exerting yourself a lot more with all the packing etc.

challenge questions
    1. I'm vegeterian, no fish for me. So, I've already failed! :embarassed:
    2. the smile, have you seen that new kodak commercial with the dad and the new baby, I about melt every time that baby smiles. :smooched:
  • Caliwaters25
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Jalara great challenge:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    My husband loves sushi now so I think I will grab something cooked when we head out one of these nights. I am a big fan of salmon.
    I think that the one thing I am looking forward to is feeling the baby hiccup its just so funny :laugh: to think about, plus I hate the hiccups personally but to have them via the baby sounds like a good trade off. :happy:

As far as father to be gifts that is a tough one A fun t-shirt announcing his upcoming fatherhood might be good if you can find one that is cute enough and definitely something he enjoys I am getting my DH a Jamba Juice card he loves smoothies.

http://www.zazzle.com/soon_to_be_daddy_tshirt-235988688543378668 This one is a T Shirt design Good Luck
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    gained 4.5lbs this week! :-(

pre-pregnancy weight: 162lbs
    current: 173.5
    pregnancy gain: 11.5lbs

Ang - Did you go to Chicago? :laugh:

I was 23 weeks....just like you. But the next week I was down 1.5, so don't get worried!

lol!:laugh: No, I don't even have traveling as an excuse. How many weeks were you when you gained the 4 pounds?

Maybe it has something to do with water retention?
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    ok so haven't posted for a while. manged to lose a small abount bu thats put me at 200.6lbs which is almost getting me below the 200's :smile:

i have a question for some of you out there who've been on he pill and come off of it.

I stopped taking the pill April 2009. at the beginning my cycle returned to normal almost straight away so 30-32 days. I then torn my ACL in november and had surgery on my knee, with a combination of stress and tablets my cycle was at 51,57,56 days. i then went back to my usual for like 2 months and now at 50 day i'm still waiting.
    i don't feel stressed at the minute, i am relocating but i'm excited about it.
    do you ladies think this is normal? i will be going to see my doc when i get back to the uk in August. I haven't been to a doc here in Dubai as they can be.....interesting to say the least and i'm not very comfortable with the ones i've seen and heard about via friends.
    my husband and i have been careful well most of the time as we dont want to start TTC till december.
    thoughts anyone?

I wouldn't worry about the missed period as of yet, unless you are missing 3 months worth than there are a ton of reasons that could cause you to be late: change of diet, change of exercise, stress, pregnancy, etc, etc, etc. :-) You can certainly check with your doc when your home but it's usually considered normal
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    gained 4.5lbs this week! :-(

pre-pregnancy weight: 162lbs
    current: 173.5
    pregnancy gain: 11.5lbs

Ang - Did you go to Chicago? :laugh:

I was 23 weeks....just like you. But the next week I was down 1.5, so don't get worried!

lol!:laugh: No, I don't even have traveling as an excuse. How many weeks were you when you gained the 4 pounds?

Maybe it has something to do with water retention?

Speaking of water retention - I had no ankles yesterday - LOL. I went to dinner with a friend of mine on Tuesday and ate my most FAV spinach and artichoke dip.....the sodium got the best of me. So from the last 2 days I've really watched what I consumed....not the best look when dresses and skirts are the most comfy with this heat. :grumble: Oh well - 14 more weeks until my little ray of sunshine should be here. Crazy to think that - we are starting the nursery this weekend. Get got the nursery furniture this week too....so cute and modern. Have you been on http://projectnursery.com - it's my FAV site :happy:
  • kcurtis05
    Options
    Yay! :smile: Down .4 lbs, it's little but I'll take it! CW 152.8 lbs. (Goodie in the 52s)

My DH went roller-blading as i went running last night for the first time. I have been craving a run. I have hated running all my life, weird. I am a dancer, so my body is used to small bursts of cardio, so its going to take a while to train it to run but it's feeling good so far. It was really nice to spend some time together and be productive and exercise instead of sitting infront of the tv. I can see this becoming a habbit!
    Also, I shared with him that I may not be able to get preggo for atleast 6 months to a year because of me being on the depo shot and he said "that's not what I wanted to hear..." :cry: Maybe its a blessing tho. We are planning a Hawaii trip in December. (we never had a honeymoon) I don't think I would like to be preggo in HI. Man, I just wish I had some clue as to when I will go back to normal....
    Anyway, Cali, that is a very cute site! I know what I will be doign for a bit! :) I can always plan can't i? :wink:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    So I started charting my temperature - wahoo! This is going to be fun!!!!!!!!!! FI is getting excited too.

Also, we decided to move. We found another great apartment, that is bigger, has 2 bathroom and 5 appliances, for $250 less than we're paying now. It doesn't have the convenience of living downtown, but that's okay. We move at the end of June - we're already planning the baby's room. (love the site Cali). My theory - I want to pick out the crib, dresser, change table and stroller, and we'll get everything else 2nd hand. So exciting!

I really hope it's this month!
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, but I'm down 3. I was down to 136 but I keep going between 136-138. I just found out I'm having another baby! YAY! Due Feb. 1st 2011! Anyway, does anyone know how many calories to eat when preggo? Just trying to eat healthy and watch it. I'm still not at my pre preggo weight from my first so I want to make sure that I don't gain 50 again! Thanks!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Congrats Jalara, the new place sounds awesome!
  • kcurtis05
    Options
    Congrats Jen!!!!

Jalara- That sounds great! Happy moving!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    It's been a while, but I'm down 3. I was down to 136 but I keep going between 136-138. I just found out I'm having another baby! YAY! Due Feb. 1st 2011! Anyway, does anyone know how many calories to eat when preggo? Just trying to eat healthy and watch it. I'm still not at my pre preggo weight from my first so I want to make sure that I don't gain 50 again! Thanks!

Congrats!!! Are you considered Average weight? If so you will need to increase calories by 300, but won't need to start until a few weeks into your pregnancy, I would eat calories to maintain your weight until you see your OB for the first time. :-)
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    So I've had a lot of questions recently about the posts from "The 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy" book. SO, I thought I would just post what foods are recommended during which trimester and then feel free to ask if you would like more info about one of the foods. I will try to post a food in more detail every once-in-awhile when I get a chance ... starting today. :-)

FIRST TRIMESTER (Weeks 1-12)

Almonds
    Anchovies
    Applesauce
    Bananas (HELPS WITH NAUSEA!)
    Broth
    Brown Rice
    Chives
    Cream Cheese, Pasteurized
    Ginger (HELPS WITH NAUSEA!)
    Ice chips and water
    Lamb
    Leeks
    Lemons
    Mint Tea (HELPS WITH NAUSEA!)
    Multigrain Cereal
    Oatmeal
    Peanut Butter
    Pinto Beans
    Popcorn
    Sweet Potatoes
    Tahini
    Tilapia
    Watermelon

SECOND TRIMESTER (Weeks 13-27)
    Avacado
    Basil
    Carrots
    Chia seeds
    Chamomile
    Cherries
    Chickpeas
    Chocolate milk
    Coconut oil
    Figs
    Hemp seeds
    Kale
    Nori
    Romaine Lettuce
    Scallions
    Tofu
    Turmeric
    Tuna
    Turkey
    Watercress

THIRD TRIMESTER (Weeks 28-40)
    Black beans
    Celery
    Coho Salmon
    Cranberries
    Crimini Mushrooms
    Eggs
    Eggplant
    Evening primrose oil
    Fish oil
    Garlic
    Green Peas
    Herring
    Molasses
    Nuts
    Papaya
    Parsley
    Peppermint
    Red Raspberry leaf tea
    Rhubarb
    Sesame seeds
    Swiss Cheese
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I'm taking antibiotics for an ear infection. I know that antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of my birth control until I start a new pack. I'm supposed the start a new pack of pills the day AFTER I'm done with the antibiotics. So here's my question for others who've been in the same situation. Is one day enough time for me not to have to use a back up method during my new pack of pills?

I know nothing is 100% and if I do get pregnant now, we'd be okay with that. But we really want to wait until December to start trying. Thanks in advance!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    To be on the safe side I would use a backup method if your not ready to conceive, otherwise you are putting yourself at a higher risk for pregnancy.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 HEALTHIEST FOODS TO EAT DURING PREGNANCY.

1st trimester:

ALMONDS
    Almonds are a great source of Folate, one of the most important nutrients for you in the first trimester. Folate is the natural form of folic acid, and folic acid supplementation is recommended for prevention of birth defects. Eating foods such as almonds that contain folate can help boost you and your baby's folate levels, supporting a healthy pregnancy. In your handful of almonds (20-25 nutes) you'll find 10mcg of folate. It's worth notching that if you're having more than one baby at a time - lets say twins - you probably need even more folate/folic acid.

*ignor the silly rumors that almonds are fattening. A study reported that eating up to two 1oz servings a day helps you feel full and satisfied and helps promote a healthy weight

* Research on nurition in pregnancy suggests that reducing glycemic load of foods may improve pregnancy outcome. Foods with a low glycemic load, such as vegetables, nuts, and berries, are easy for your body to use.

* Research suggests that diets with a low glycemic load during pregnancy may reduce the risk of gestational diabetes and may also reduce the risk of having a baby that is considered large for his or her gestational age. Scientists aren't suggesting you restrict food intake during pregnancy, just make healthier choices (nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, high-fiber whole grains rather than rpocesseds foods, crackers, and cookies)

* Almonds are a source of antioxidants, which are natural compounds that help you and your baby fight free radicals, keeping you and your baby healthy

* Studies have connected almonds consumption with heart-healthy effects. Almonds elevate the good cholesterol in the blood and lower the levels of bad cholesterol.

* Almonds improve your blood circulation, so more oxygen and nutrients can reach your baby. He or she is sure to get all the building blocks he or she needs to grow big and strong!

* Buy almonds that are uniform in color and not withered or limp. Raw almonds are delicious, but is you prefer yours "roasted"; dry-roasted almonds have not been cooked in oil. And check that the label doesn't includ sugar, preservatives, or syrups, all of which conteract the healthy aspects of this baby-healthy food. Eat whole rather than peeled or blanched almonds, the skin contains most of the baby-nourishing nutrients.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    One ounce of almonds (or a smear of almond butter) together with a piece of fruit like and apple makes a great snack. It's one of my favorites! The almond butter also tastes great smeared on a few sticks of celery. Either snack has only about 250 calories for guilt-free goodness!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 HEALTHIEST FOODS TO EAT DURING PREGNANCY

2nd Trimester

AVACADO
    "Rich and luxurious" is a strange way to describe most fruits, but avocados are one of the most decadent fruits on eart and one of the healthiest, too. Avocados are packed with vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, fiber, and healthy fats to help you and your baby enjoy a healthy pregnancy.

* Fat! that's what usually comes tomind when people think of avocados. This fruit has gotten a bad rap, thanks to the popularity of low-fat and anti-fat diets. But it is important to not let the fat contact of any food cause you to immediately dismiss it. Remember that not all fats are created equal. We're not talking about french fries here. The fat in avocados is mostly healthy fat, and you NEED that fat. That's right: you need to be eating fat! As of week 17, your baby starts to accumulated fat undeer his skin. This fat will provide energy and help keep your baby warm after birth, plus it will give him of her those cute baby cheeks we all love to kiss.

* As your baby grows, he is creating millions of new cells, and each one consists of a series of membranes, each of which is made of fat. Most of the fat in avocado is monounsaturated fat, the kind found in plants. These healthy fats are important to provide your body with adequate energy, for cell membrane health, and for manhy other functions.

*That crowing belly of yours will love that avocado contans 3g of polyunsaturated fat int he form of omega-6 fatty acids. These good fats are important for your skin's health - and with all that stretching and growing going on, you'll be glad to have these fats helping your skin stay pliable.

* There is much more to avocado than fat. In each cup of avocado, there are 16g of fiber to help balance your diet. There are 205mcg of folate, which is almost a third of a pregnant woman's daily needs. Even though your baby's neural tube has closed well before your second trimester, folate is still very important for your baby's proper development.

* A cup of avocado has 22mg of cholice, a nutrient needed for your baby's healthy nerce and brain development.

* Your cup of avocado has more than half of your daily needs of vitamin K and a third of your daily needs of citamin B6. Plus, it's a good source of vitamin C, niacin, and riboflavin, as well as a source of thiamin and every important mineral in your diet: copper, magnesium, manganese, sodium, potassium, selenium, calccium, phosphorus, and iron. WOW!

EAT FAT, ABSORB MORE NUTRIENTS!

Eating fat is important because it helps your body absorb more nutrients. Certain nutrients like vitamin A and E can't be absorbed unless there's fat in your digestive system. In a study from Iowa state University, people who ate a salad with fat-free dressing idn't absorb any cartenoids (a type of vitamin A), whereas those who ate a salad with reduced-fat or full-fat dressing had substantially greater absorption of these importnat compounds. Avocados have nutrient-absorption-supporting fats and over 200IU of vitamin A in just 1 cup. Vitamin A is a key antioxidant in your bady and in your baby's body. Plus, vitamin A plays a role in regulating growht - something that is happening very quickly in your second trimester as your belly continues to expand. So don't skip the dressing on your salad or better yet add some avocado to your salad and let the fat help your body get more nutrients from your food.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    There are so many easy ways to get this nutritious, luxurious fruit into your diet. The easiest of all is to simply cut up some avocado and add it to your salad. It's particularly delicious with red grapefruit and thinly sliced red onion over baby spinach-and that's a recipe for a nutritional powerhouse of a salad. Or, for a great snack, mash up some avocado and add some garlic and a splash of lemon for a great dip for whole-grain tortillas or crudites. I've even been known to eat a whole avocado as a mini-meal right out of the skin!
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I hope you all had a great weekend.

I guess we started trying this weekend, or at least started not trying to prevent it :blushing:

My question: Did anyone get to this point, and then start freeking out. All of a sudden I am questioning if this is the right time, if we are really ready, if I really want to do this, etc. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way, and if this is normal.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I hope you all had a great weekend.

I guess we started trying this weekend, or at least started not trying to prevent it :blushing:

My question: Did anyone get to this point, and then start freeking out. All of a sudden I am questioning if this is the right time, if we are really ready, if I really want to do this, etc. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way, and if this is normal.

We're not planning on trying until December and I'm already freaking out and questioning if it's the right time. So, I'd say you're completely normal. :happy: