Why do people say men and women can't be platonic friends?

Options
samanthajade124
samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
Just doing a bit of reading in my down time at work, and came across a "study" apparently proving that men and women cannot be just friends. But it doesn't actually suggest that men and women can’t be friends; nor does it seem it was ever the researchers’ objective to prove it. It looks like they set out to show that experiences reflect men’s short-term sexual desires relative to women’s - which is something rather different. I would like to get opinions from both men and women on this.

In my opinion, I do think that men and women can sustain a platonic relationship. There may be some attraction, but that doesn't mean that they are unable to maintain fulfilling and non-sexual relationships. Friendship itself can vary from person to person, incorporating everything from a best friend since grade school to someone you once drunkenly kissed at a party. Sexual attraction may add an extra dynamic to friendships between men and women, and could also lead to occasional problems. But stop to think... seeing it as some sort of friendship ultimatum would make for a lot of lonely people.

Again, I'm just looking for personal opinions.

Replies

• Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think men and women can be friends... But in most cases yes, one or both are sexually attracted to each other at one point or another during the friendship. Samantha watch the movie "When Harry Met Sally" (Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal). It's a great movie that involves this very same topic.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Because its true.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Because its true.

It's the boobs. Just knowing they're there, under that sinfully short burka - yeesh, so tempting. Who needs that?
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know... *uses mind reading powers*

Because lamp.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i have several male friends who have never been anything other than that: friends. it is very likely that either they or i have, at some point in time, been attracted to and entertained the idea of taking things a little further with the other. i think it helps to try to befriend people who you aren't attracted to at all...but that makes me sound shallow.
  • Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
    Because woman are beautiful creations and we cant help being attracted to them
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

This is why I cannot be platonic friends with men OR women...
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I love men and when I see them I think dirty things. :devil:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I can be friends with women.

If they're attractive I'll probably want to sleep with them.

If they're not attractive then I probably won't.

I just assumed that's how it works for you ladies as well . . .
  • samanthajade124
    Options
    I think men and women can be friends... But in most cases yes, one or both are sexually attracted to each other at one point or another during the friendship. Samantha watch the movie "When Harry Met Sally" (Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal). It's a great movie that involves this very same topic.

I've seen it, and I still disagree. I think that they are trying to show is that men are more likely to try to push a friendship into romantic or sexual territory, and between nominally platonic friends... that is a burden. But it’s a huge leap to suggest that this completely prevents friendships between men and women.

YES there may be sexual attraction but that doesn't mean you HAVE to act on it. To suggest that any unreciprocated feelings or advances prevent the continuation of a friendship is unrealistic.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options

I'm glad we're friends.
  • samanthajade124
    Options
    I don't know... *uses mind reading powers*

Because lamp.

Of course. This explains it all. lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't think of one close male friend that I was not eventually intimate with. And by that I mean, someone that I befriended, talked to every day, and spent my time with.

There were men I worked with that I considered friends that I did not interact with outside of work that do not fall into this category. And men that were friends of my SO that also do not fall into this category.

I think, in order to say men and women cannot have a platonic relationship, you have to define that platonic relationship.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    IMO, usually straight men will remain friends unless/until you give them an opportunity for more. They really just want to bang anyway, so they are just waiting for the in.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    most people who say that can't. if you can't then don't and don't put yourself in that situation. and stay away from other people's spouses.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

That's EXACTLY how it works for us!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My best friend for the last 17 years is a guy. Never been sexually attracted (not that he's hideous or anything).
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It's usually because they can't unless one or both people are horribly unattractive...and then it's still an anomaly if they can pull it off.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself. Personal experience has shown that platonic relationships are certainly possible.
  • Mavrick7a
    Mavrick7a Posts: 1,353
    Options

This is why I cannot be platonic friends with men OR women...
    No, I disagree.... all my beautiful lady friends can trust me, run around naked in front of me. No reaction at all. :bigsmile:

Okay, I guess men are wired that way :laugh: