Why do people say men and women can't be platonic friends?

Options

Replies

• JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    I think without an attraction, there's nothing to prevent people of the opposite sex from being friends. That's absurd. It doesn't take into account sexual preference either.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    You can not have a man friend as a platonic friend.

If you have a friend there is a reason for it and male/female is because of an attraction/physical/sexual

If female/female it is because of empathy/attraction/physical/envy and sometimes sexual.

This is the short version

Negative, ghost rider.

a friend is someone that you are emotionally attached to? It is a relationship.

A friend is someone that you share thoughts etc with.

You can have male/female acquaintances that you hang out with, but they are not friends. You can be friendly with these` friends` but IMO to have someone that you call a friend takes a lot of time and care.
    I'm sorry you have such horrible experiences with the opposite sex.

Hell, it sounds like you've had horrible experiences with friends period.

I can say, with certainty, that one of my best friends, who is male, has no desire to sleep with me, nor I with him.

Your personal experience is not the rule, so don't say that just because that's how it worked out for you, that's how it is for everyone. It's simply not true.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i have several male friends who have never been anything other than that: friends. it is very likely that either they or i have, at some point in time, been attracted to and entertained the idea of taking things a little further with the other. i think it helps to try to befriend people who you aren't attracted to at all...but that makes me sound shallow.

^THIS^

This is a very common delusion. Women simply don't understand the male mind. We do nothing for women without at least a 0.5% hope that sex will come of it.

no matter the motivation, if nothing happens, by definition it's platonic.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/platonic love

Thank you.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Because its true.
    We can all feign ignorance here, but we know that this is about the size of the woman's butt.
  • tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    So the guy at work is just pretending to be my friend? He really wants to bang me? That sheds a whole new light on things.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I can be just friends with men. Yes you might find the person attractive but you can still just be friends.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Grown ups. It's a good thing.

Yes. I've had male friends (both straight and gay) and while yes, many have probably wanted to hook up, there are at least some who have not. And even of those who have wanted to, most kept it to themselves. Even so, occasionally thinking you want to "tap that" doesn't mean you can't be friends.

To quote, Grown ups. It's a good thing. :tongue:
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Because woman are beautiful creations and we cant help being attracted to them

This is why I cannot be platonic friends with men OR women...

Can I get an amen?!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've had numerous "platonic" relationships with women...yes, technically they were "platonic" as nothing ever happened, but that didn't mean I never thought about getting into their panties. I can't recall ever having a platonic relationship with a female that I wasn't at some point attracted to...I've wanted to bang them all.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Using my own personal experience, I believe they can, too. BUT I think its easier if they have never been lovers. I tried to be friends with guys I was intimate with in the past but it only lasted until they realized they weren't getting it from me anymore.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i have several male friends who have never been anything other than that: friends. it is very likely that either they or i have, at some point in time, been attracted to and entertained the idea of taking things a little further with the other. i think it helps to try to befriend people who you aren't attracted to at all...but that makes me sound shallow.

^THIS^

This is a very common delusion. Women simply don't understand the male mind. We do nothing for women without at least a 0.5% hope that sex will come of it.

Astute, yet linear. In a universe that may very well exist with multiple layers of one instance of reality, to view anything like this , is how cheating and adultery happen. The DESIRE to have sex with a woman is the emotionalized action of doing so. Besides the incorporeal aspect of it, intention OFTEN becomes action. Put simply, even if it didn't happen I wouldn't want my wife spending the night with a man who desired to bang her.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As my original post said..... sexual attraction can add dynamic to a friendship, but that doesn't mean that you have to act on it.
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_lh5fR4DMA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Women are the ones who believe men and women can be just friends. They dont realize men cant do this. Its hard coded into men's brains to lust for women and mate. If a man tells you that he's fine with just being friends, its one of several reasons :

1) (95% of the time) he's a liar, like most of us guys do well. He's waiting for the right moment.
    2) he's a beta and hasn't the nerve or know how to chase you
    3) he's grossed out by the thought of you sexually.
    4) he knows better (I.e. job/boss complications, best friends sister, etc)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    So in summation, if you've been friends with lots of people of the opposite sex for a long time, it means you're unattractive. The end.

Yes. Or gay.
  • Guatamellon
    Guatamellon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a guy. We have been very close friends for 4 years. We get a lot of crap from our close friends. They tell us to hook up all the time but we truely care about our friendship. It has caused problems with people that we have dated because we are super close. We do have a special bond or whatever you want to call it but YES it can happen.
  • swimmer_chick
    swimmer_chick Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sure we can! I've got guy friends who I get on with really well, I can admit they're attractive (if they are) but that doesn't mean we have to be more than friends! But after reading some of these now I'm worried that either I'm highly unattractive or too naive.. either way, oops :(
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a married man whose wife is on this site, I can say with confidence that of course I don't want to bang any of my female friends, no matter how physically attractive they are.
    2edz0v5.jpg.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a married man whose wife is on this site, I can say with confidence that of course I don't want to bang any of my female friends, no matter how physically attractive they are.
    2edz0v5.jpg.gif

:laugh: :laugh:
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options

^THIS^

Astute, yet linear. In a universe that may very well exist with multiple layers of one instance of reality, to view anything like this , is how cheating and adultery happen. The DESIRE to have sex with a woman is the emotionalized action of doing so. There were people of old, smarter than us, who believed that if you fantasized about a woman, then you incurred the sin/pleasure of doing so. Besides the incorporeal aspect of it, intention OFTEN becomes action. Put simply, even if it didn't happen I wouldn't want my wife spending the night with a man who desired to bang her.

Just because some ancients were superstitious and believed that our thoughts somehow condemned us, it doesn't mean they were"smarter than us". If anything, man has become more knowledgable about himself and his world.

Besides, we're talking about the modern day definition of "platonic".
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So in summation, if you've been friends with lots of people of the opposite sex for a long time, it means you're unattractive. The end.

Yes. Or gay.

Which, for the record, doesn't mean I'm still not completely attracted to them and wish they liked my female anatomy.