Why do people say men and women can't be platonic friends?

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    male and females can just be friends with each other. I have a few male friends I am strictly friends with. so when they say men and women can't just be friends they are mistaken.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I have made out with every single one of my male friends. Except my husbands brother... because he is not my friend. Yet.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I can be friends with women.

If they're attractive I'll probably want to sleep with them.

If they're not attractive then I probably won't.

I just assumed that's how it works for you ladies as well . . .

Pretty much. That's why most men can be friends with me.
  • jessiwebb
    jessiwebb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know... *uses mind reading powers*

Because lamp.

Purple, beause aliens don't wear hats?

Honestly, no dea. My best friend is a guy and I've never been attracted to him and pretty sure he's never been attracted to me. *shrug* Guess it's like everything else and depends on the individuals involved.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I have lots of guy friends and they don't want to sleep with me. They made that very clear. Painfully clear. :cry:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Let's be friends and see:flowerforyou:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can not have a man friend as a platonic friend.

If you have a friend there is a reason for it and male/female is because of an attraction/physical/sexual

If female/female it is because of empathy/attraction/physical/envy and sometimes sexual.

This is the short version
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    most people who say that can't. if you can't then don't and don't put yourself in that situation. and stay away from other people's spouses.

I agree with this completely. I'm not married but I have seen marriages fall apart due to another woman or another man. It's sad that people don't know boundaries. But that doesn't mean that men and women still can't be legitimate platonic friends.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think they can be friends....but in some cases society does force another veiw on things...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I used to have sex with platonic friends all the time, so I dunno.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Just doing a bit of reading in my down time at work, and came across a "study" apparently proving that men and women cannot be just friends. But it doesn't actually suggest that men and women can’t be friends; nor does it seem it was ever the researchers’ objective to prove it.

I don't understand this collection of sentences together.

So there is a study a third party is proclaiming to prove that men and women cannot be friends even though the study doesn't suggest that and that wasn't the goal of the study? or are the people who did the study proclaiming it?
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how the two individuals deal with any sexual attraction/tension that may arise. I am not good at dealing with it in an ethical manner given that I'm married. I'd have to agree that men and women don't generally make good platonic friends unless they're enjoying the said tension/attraction and can deal with it in a way that both are comfortanle with.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

That's EXACTLY how it works for us!!!

I completely agree with you
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

If you have a friend there is a reason for it and male/female is because of an attraction/physical/sexual

If female/female it is because of empathy/attraction/physical/envy and sometimes sexual.

Negative, ghost rider.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Just doing a bit of reading in my down time at work, and came across a "study" apparently proving that men and women cannot be just friends. But it doesn't actually suggest that men and women can’t be friends; nor does it seem it was ever the researchers’ objective to prove it. It looks like they set out to show that experiences reflect men’s short-term sexual desires relative to women’s - which is something rather different. I would like to get opinions from both men and women on this.

In my opinion, I do think that men and women can sustain a platonic relationship. There may be some attraction, but that doesn't mean that they are unable to maintain fulfilling and non-sexual relationships. Friendship itself can vary from person to person, incorporating everything from a best friend since grade school to someone you once drunkenly kissed at a party. Sexual attraction may add an extra dynamic to friendships between men and women, and could also lead to occasional problems. But stop to think... seeing it as some sort of friendship ultimatum would make for a lot of lonely people.

Again, I'm just looking for personal opinions.

I have a lot of male friends. And we're not sexually attracted to each other.
  • TimFranklin423
    TimFranklin423 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ehh... It's a hard one. Honestly though, I've noticed that 90% of the ones who actually believe that men and women can be platonic friends are Women. Men, for the most part, know the truth. We know how we think, and we know just how very little it takes to completely change the way we look at a woman "friend." It may just be something as silly or simple as the way that she smiled or said something that day that completely changes the way you see her from then on out, even if we originally did not find them attractive. Sorry ladies..blame the testosterone.

Women on the other hand seem to have no problem, for the most part, being strictly friends with a man. I won't sit here an act like I, or any other man, will ever understand the female psyche, but I would say it is exponentially easier for a woman to remain having strictly platonic feelings for a male friend.

Just my 2 cents.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That's nonsense. Men and women can be friends. They have to be first. How else are they gonna get close enough to unzip one anothers pants. *smh*
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

It's apparent to me that maybe some of you just haven't found a person that truly GETS you. Not one that wants to sleep with you, but just understands who you are. This type of person can be male or female.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Marriage and platonic friendship, aren't they the same thing?:huh:
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

^this