Why do people say men and women can't be platonic friends?

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And what ARE you doing to that baby in your ticker?

jarethlooksattoby.jpg
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    . Even with my understanding of this barbaric male reality, I still cannot fight it.

That's a rapist in training statement if I ever heard one. Jesus.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am, however, very happy that at least 50% of the people here agree with the truth instead of what makes them feel good. I understand that it is an unpleasant thought to know that your male friends probably aren't your real friends. I ask you this. Why would you want a male friend who's behavior is OBVIOUSLY modified, because he is hiding his true intentions? That mans intentions will never be pure. That's why people call their friends their worst enemies, because they won't awaken to the reality.

So my question is, do you have any female friends? I'm guessing no, right? You don't have ANY AT ALL. Because you couldn't possibly offer them a genuine friendship by your own standards, correct?

Lol. You'd be amazed at how many friend requests I get daily from people saying " I really liked what you said in this post." Most of those requests are women. I will freely admit that anyone who I accepted into my list, or in life, I was at least somewhat attracted to. Even with my understanding of this barbaric male reality, I still cannot fight it.

You didn't answer the question. Try again. Do you or do you NOT have female friends in real life?
    I will freely admit that anyone who I accepted into my list, ***or in life***, I was at least somewhat attracted to.

That means yes, dear.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Lol. You'd be amazed at how many friend requests I get daily from people saying " I really liked what you said in this post." Most of those requests are women.

How many can it be, your profile is a month old at the most.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Once again....WAY off topic!

Wait, are you a mod? Or just the "Topic Police"? What is so wrong with having a discussion that takes on different directions? The original question can mean different things to different people. Chill. It'll be okay.
  • Mavrick7a
    Mavrick7a Posts: 1,353
    Options
    @OP this is getting muddled...

There are several different arguments, please clarify the direction or scope.

Friends with benefits = great friends, share body fluids with lonely, but no commitment.

Platonic friendship = Friend zone - need someone to listen. No sex, late night booty call. My guess is that there is no sexual chemistry.

If you are asking for opinions, it seems odd that women are speaking on behalf of men. Based on feedback from my male/female friends and what I recall from my Psychology classes (Human Attraction) in college:

Men - tend to look for physical traits and are generally more positive: "the girl I met has a great body, pretty face, and nice to talk to"
    Women - tend to look at the negatives about the other person "Good looking, but had a lot of girl friends, doesn't have a graduate degree yet" etc.
    Most importantly for women - they know within the first 5 minutes if you are having sex. Once again, I don't know what they are thinking, but I hear this all the time.
    On the other hand, guys are a little different. I have know girls that I didn't notice, then something sparks, and I am like "hey, she is pretty hott!"
  • odusgolp
    Options
    We are surrounded in a natural eco-system that breathes sex. As the creator said, go forth and multiply. This notion pexplexes the athiests. Men and women are meant to be together, but once together, true to each other. Sex is the bond, the love, the trust. Sure men and women can be friends, but we are driven to love, go on, and have kids. Nothing wrong with that at all. Gay folks the same, the need for trust and bonding. So who wants to fight me on this...putim up :laugh:

Wait wait wait... Then where did all that polygamy in the bible come in?
  • OneEyeUp
    Options

Lol. You'd be amazed at how many friend requests I get daily from people saying " I really liked what you said in this post." Most of those requests are women.

How many can it be, your profile is a month old at the most.

Two weeks actually.
  • DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options
    Oh yeah. I wasn't going to respond to this because of the "Scientifically" and "prove" put together in a sentence.

I was going to say because we want to sex each other (or at least one wants to). I'm sure in the last 9 pages that this has been covered.

Never mind.

So much bang!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I leave for a while, and this whole thread just goes straight to hell.

Oh, and Twinketta, 100% certainty, eh? So now you're what, my therapist? You know my innermost thoughts?

Nice try, sweetcheeks. Stop projecting.
  • PXMike
    PXMike Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Women are, hands down, God's most precious and beautiful creation which is why they deserve only the best we (Guys) have to offer and I think THAT might be a big part of it. Just as it is so easy to fall in love with a beautiful sunset, a snow storm in the rocky mountains, the sound of the waves hitting the beach or a sleek Astin (Hey! Did you think a guy really wasn't going to mention a car?!) anyway, an object as beautiful as the human female is near impossible to not be completely captivated with thus making it very difficult not to fall in love.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You can definitely have the dictionary version of a platonic friendship. You definitely can also have a friendship with a guy who doesn't find you attractive in any way (and vice versa). However, if you think you can have a platonic friendship in mind and body with a person whose attracted to you in the slightest degree sexually AND that friendship is not (at least marginally) affected by that sexual attraction...you're living in a fantasy in my opinion. Now if it doesn't mean anything to you one way or the other what might be motivating them or if the affect on their intentions is so slight, you just don't care...have at it. But if you think that your friendship and attraction have absolutely nothing to do with each other...I disagree
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    We are surrounded in a natural eco-system that breathes sex. As the creator said, go forth and multiply. This notion pexplexes the athiests. Men and women are meant to be together, but once together, true to each other. Sex is the bond, the love, the trust. Sure men and women can be friends, but we are driven to love, go on, and have kids. Nothing wrong with that at all. Gay folks the same, the need for trust and bonding. So who wants to fight me on this...putim up :laugh:

I don't want kids - where does that put me on your "we are driven" theory?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Once again....WAY off topic!

Wait, are you a mod? Or just the "Topic Police"? What is so wrong with having a discussion that takes on different directions? The original question can mean different things to different people. Chill. It'll be okay.
    IT'S NOT ALLOWED.

Where's that 'Happy Birthday, Lea" meme when I need it...
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

but I also have some male friends who I can parade around naked, have an air traffic controller highlight the landing pattern and they would NEVER, NEVER think to cross that line. AND NO, THEY ARE NOT GAY...
    after reading this we held an emergency meeting of the man club. please tell ur friends that they have been expelled and to pls hand in their man card! lol
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Hi Fox. How's life?

Well I don't know why you brought one's belief in a god...or lack thereof...into it. It's kind of off topic though.

The OP was simply "Can men and women be friends without having sex?

I have experienced many platonic relationships with women in my lifetime. So, yes, I believe it can be done.
  • OneEyeUp
    Options
    You can definitely have the dictionary version of a platonic friendship. You definitely can also have a friendship with a guy who doesn't find you attractive in any way (and vice versa). However, if you think you can have a platonic friendship in mind and body with a person whose attracted to you in the slightest degree sexually AND that friendship is not (at least marginally) affected by that sexual attraction...you're living in a fantasy in my opinion. Now if it doesn't mean anything to you one way or the other what might be motivating them or if the affect on their intentions is so slight, you just don't care...have at it. But if you think that your friendship and attraction have absolutely nothing to do with each other...I disagree

I approve this paragraph.
  • odusgolp
    Options

I don't want kids - where does that put me on your "we are driven" theory?

I think that puts you in the 4.57% of people that are not placed into the "Driven to procreate by God" category.

I think... But I have to double check the research.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I am, however, very happy that at least 50% of the people here agree with the truth instead of what makes them feel good. I understand that it is an unpleasant thought to know that your male friends probably aren't your real friends. I ask you this. Why would you want a male friend who's behavior is OBVIOUSLY modified, because he is hiding his true intentions? That mans intentions will never be pure. That's why people call their friends their worst enemies, because they won't awaken to the reality.

So my question is, do you have any female friends? I'm guessing no, right? You don't have ANY AT ALL. Because you couldn't possibly offer them a genuine friendship by your own standards, correct?

Lol. You'd be amazed at how many friend requests I get daily from people saying " I really liked what you said in this post." Most of those requests are women. I will freely admit that anyone who I accepted into my list, or in life, I was at least somewhat attracted to. Even with my understanding of this barbaric male reality, I still cannot fight it.

You didn't answer the question. Try again. Do you or do you NOT have female friends in real life?
    I will freely admit that anyone who I accepted into my list, ***or in life***, I was at least somewhat attracted to.

That means yes, dear.

So, you're violating your own logic.

Direct quote from you:
    Why would you want a male friend who's behavior is OBVIOUSLY modified, because he is hiding his true intentions? That mans intentions will never be pure.

Why would those girls want you as a friend? You'd obviously never be a good friend to them since you're too busy with your "true intentions" of sleeping with them..
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have guy friends and they are friends. Nothing would ever happen between us.