Why do people say men and women can't be platonic friends?

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Age is another variable. Similar age - no friends, different age group - more likely to be friends.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Why are women trying to oppose male sexual instinct? It is natures way..Do you all you women out there think you are not going to `fall for a guy` and back to the OP thing if it is a platonic friend that declares his undying love fr you....you are not going to feel flattered?

Of course you will! Women love flattery and declarations of love and flowers and gifts and men play along and then eventually you realise that there is more and you want to work on the whole thing?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It depends on the people involved. If you don't act on it, then it's platonic. I don't care if you secretly want to bang me, just don't ruin an otherwise good friendship because you couldn't keep your d*ck in your pants.

My best friend decided to try to force himself on me when I was tipsy (not drunk) and really emotional due to a major occurrence that has forever changed my life. He couldn't keep it in his pants to be a friend so end of friendship.

In the end, I don't care what a guy's thoughts are. The actions are what counts.

Then you believe that the body is more powerful than the soul. Let me tell you something.... I am not the most attractive guy out there. I could, however, steal the most attractive man's woman, by taking control of her emotions. As could any man with the presence of mind to do it. The word platonic is not platonic. The word love isn't love. Do you know how many people use that word and have no clue of its meaning? Websters.com can only get you so far.

SYjElte.gif
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    This is a very common delusion. Women simply don't understand the male mind. We do nothing for women without at least a 0.5% hope that sex will come of it.

so you're saying that when i was in high school and i went over to my grandmother's home every week during the summer to mow her lawn for her, i was secretly hoping to have sex with her?

:noway:

you are sick in your head.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Straight people problems. Meh...
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

This is a very common delusion. Women simply don't understand the male mind. We do nothing for women without at least a 0.5% hope that sex will come of it.

There's just the one Male Mind, is there... ?

Its a collective with one goal

You cant stop it. Dont resist. We will be forced to tie you up

Isn't that part of the One Goal?

Yes it almost always end ups that way at some point.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Straight people problems. Meh...

I know right.....wait! what?
  • DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options

If platonic isn't platonic and love isn't love then the logical conclusion is that emotion isn't emotion, control isn't control, etc. :noway:

In your sarcasm, you actually made a very logical point.

In my sarcasm, your logic makes little to no sense but keep trying. I'm sure with your abilities you will overcome my emotional response.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I could, however, steal the most attractive man's woman, by taking control of her emotions.

You're delusional.

I don't know why people do this. They focus on one sentence in a body of words, that is NOT the main point. This isn't an ego trip. This is an explanation of cosmic truths that cannot be refuted.

Again, here is the original post with that one sentence REMOVED. Please focus on the point.
    Then you believe that the body is more powerful than the soul.The word platonic is not platonic. The word love isn't love. Do you know how many people use that word and have no clue of its meaning? Websters.com can only get you so far.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why are women trying to oppose male sexual instinct? It is natures way..Do you all you women out there think you are not going to `fall for a guy` and back to the OP thing if it is a platonic friend that declares his undying love fr you....you are not going to feel flattered?

Of course you will! Women love flattery and declarations of love and flowers and gifts and men play along and then eventually you realise that there is more and you want to work on the whole thing?

Seriously, speak for yourself. I do not like declarations of love, flower and gifts and disagree with everything you're saying. Someone telling me they're attracted to me is NOT about to make me "fall for the guy."

This is your issue. You think every guy you know wants to put it in your hole (as you so eloquently put it), then speak for yourself. I know plenty of good respectable men that wouldn't dare stick it in your hole.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

That sounds like a stalker talking to be honest. Eventually if I just keep buying her gifts and give her flattery etc she'll realise there is more and love me. :noway:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I could, however, steal the most attractive man's woman, by taking control of her emotions.

You're delusional.

I don't know why people do this. They focus on one sentence in a body of words, that is NOT the main point. This isn't an ego trip. This is an explanation of cosmic truths that cannot be refuted.

Again, here is the original post with that one sentence REMOVED. Please focus on the point.
    Then you believe that the body is more powerful than the soul.The word platonic is not platonic. The word love isn't love. Do you know how many people use that word and have no clue of its meaning? Websters.com can only get you so far.

Stop reposting and removing stuff. I think this is the third time in just this one thread and it's seriously not helping your case any.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

You're so funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PS I DO NOT WANT TO SLEEP WITH YOU. (just to be clear)
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I haven't met a guy who could be just friends. They either want, or try, to get in your pants.
    I have my man and he is MORE than enough!
    I will stick to chick friends!
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Again....this is a rabbit trail. The OP wasn't about what people believe. It wasn't about superstition. It wasn't about whether or not they "think" about sex. It wasn't about whether or not they believe that thinking about sex is sinful.
    You're the one who brought up superstition. It was you I quoted. And I believe the other poster has a point. He doesn't want his wife around a guy who wants to sleep with her even if they don't. It's the thoughts the man has that bother him. Valid point.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It's the birds and the bees. Survival of the species and the need or instinct to propogate. Just nature, that's all.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I am, however, very happy that at least 50% of the people here agree with the truth instead of what makes them feel good. I understand that it is an unpleasant thought to know that your male friends probably aren't your real friends. I ask you this. Why would you want a male friend who's behavior is OBVIOUSLY modified, because he is hiding his true intentions? That mans intentions will never be pure. That's why people call their friends their worst enemies, because they won't awaken to basic truths.

You adhere to an idea that paints yourself as someone who cannot look at a woman without trusting yourself that you wouldn't fall on her like a rabid beast.

You're a greeeat friend I bet.
  • TimFranklin423
    TimFranklin423 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Women are the ones who believe men and women can be just friends. They dont realize men cant do this. Its hard coded into men's brains to lust for women and mate. If a man tells you that he's fine with just being friends, its one of several reasons :

1) (95% of the time) he's a liar, like most of us guys do well. He's waiting for the right moment.
    2) he's a beta and hasn't the nerve or know how to chase you
    3) he's grossed out by the thought of you sexually.
    4) he knows better (I.e. job/boss complications, best friends sister, etc)

/Thread.

Seriously ladies. Go to each page and try Ctrl+F to search for something like "they can be friends" and look at the gender of the poster.

Yes, It is possible to be acquaintances or "buddys" without having sex. But don't kid yourselves thinking that if you two were on a 2 week trip to Las Vegas and alcohol or some other 'factor' became involved, that in an overwhelming majority of cases feelings would either develop, or the male would most likely make a move on you, thus changing the "friendship"

I guess technically the answer to the OP is Yes, they can be friends, as long as one of those 4 things I quoted are a factor, but after it's not..no matter how much you want to think otherwise, they can't stay just friends forever. It's always amused me how differently women and men think about this subject.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

You're delusional.

Let me state this once more. Clearly.

You claimed you could take any woman from the handsomest of men. As if someone's physical attributes are the only reason anyone is faithful to a relationship. That idea is crazy.

Cosmic truths that cannot be refuted?! You are not making any sense. You clearly don't understand women at all, and every new post underscores that.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    totally possible

tumblr_mhz0fgBBzT1rkhlsqo1_500.jpg