the best thing you bought that helped you lose weight?

Options
I know eating less and working more is the key to loosing weight, but i want something else anything else to help me drop the pounds! I have a bit of cash that I want to spend on myself but I dont know what to get, I was thinking maybe an elliptal trainer for home or an ab-tek belt...?! Ideas are welcome :)

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My 3 must haves are my Yoga mat (I've had it for over 10 years and I have used it for almost all of my workout DVDs, really came in handy when I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred), my hand weight set (also have had that for over 10 yrs, it contains 2,4, and 6lb weights) by Bollinger, and my new heart rate monitor, it's a Polar FT7, I just started Insanity and I would have no idea of how many calories I have burned if I didn't have it.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. I often don't feel comfortable running outside by myself, and my running efforts would get sidelined every time a car slowed down to go around me or some dude looked at me sideways. The treadmill keeps me running even if I'm feeling anxious.

It's the only thing I've bought, though, so far. I've asked for the new fitbit for mother's day. I'll let you know how it works out. :P

ETA: I totally forgot about the exercise mat! I love that thing. It only cost $15 and I use it every day.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical trainer at home and it's an overpriced coat hanger -> better try the gym membership thing.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Definitely my insanity dvds! Best $140 I ever spent.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    to be honest, the most helpful thing I have for weight loss is a food scale.....I was very surprised by some serving sizes!!

For exercise, I downloaded the C25k app from RunDouble and am now running!! I used to hate running on the treadmill, but being outside and using an app made all the difference! Now I love it...and it's time for me! :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy it, got it from my daughter, but it is my fit bit.
    The best motivator I have ever had, at least for me.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Food scale, extra set of measuring cups and spoons so there's (usually) a clean one when I need it, good workout clothes (sometimes that's all the motivation you need to get out the door). And a HRM--I don't consider my Garmin primarily a weight loss tool, but having a fairly accurate idea of calories burned certainly helps a lot.
  • mommyofoneinwi
    Options
    That is my Mother's Day request as well; a FitBit!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Yoga mat - Hand weights - Good tennis shoes
  • matawna
    matawna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My bodymedia
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    to be honest, the most helpful thing I have for weight loss is a food scale.....I was very surprised by some serving sizes!!

Food scale!! This!!

Also, a good app on your phone to track your workouts.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    Food scale, heart rate monitor, jump rope, some free weights, stability ball, and yoga mat!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Food scale

Heart rate monitor

Don't waste your money on an ab belt. They don't work.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    chicken. more often than not, i'm stuffed from all this protein. calorie deficit, add whatever exercise is fun, and good to go.
    oh and i can't have enough plates for my barbell. you don't really need to buy much out of the ordinary, it's mostly mental, and you can do months of progress, with body weight exercises.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    HRM for sure! Also training for a 1/2 marathon. Those longer runs really made a difference in my weightloss.

One more thing. NTC (Nike Training Club). It is a free app from Nike for Smartphones and it has a ton of workouts you can do at home with little to no equipment.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    1 - Food Scale (and invest in a good one)
    2 - Yoga Mat
    3 - Insanity
    4 - The new FitBit (asking for Mother's Day)

Good luck on your journey!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My food scale and a good pair of running shoes.

But dollar for dollar - the best investment was the food scale.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor. I was broke and didn't want to spend the $ on it but it was the best investment thus far.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    my gym membership and my biggest loser digital food scale!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    -Food Scale
    -Proper Running Shoes
    -Gym membership
    -Good quality sports bras