Another (potential) strike against red meat

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do a master cleanse. It flushes the carnitine from red meat.

Well there you go. Apparently we *do* have toxins. Who knew?

Everyone in the medical community... or do you consider the folks at NYU quacks as well? (See earlier link I posted)

Hey, I am just now finding out from the MFP experts that my cold medicine doesn't work. It's apparently all in my head. Maybe I just walked through Wonderland and became immune to viral infections. *shrugs*

Maybe they are all quacks, and NO ONE knows it?

It's not medicine.

Silver literally has no biologically active role in the body.

All the people selling you bottles of silver and telling you it does something are simply lying to you.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I would suggest that posting his personal profile info / history of his child is not necessary.

Not very personal when it's part of a public profile on the internet.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Umm yeah my son was born 3 months premature because my wife flew on an airplane... Whats the big deal? Millions of babies are born premature. He's fine now.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Yes I know but if it's not backed by the medical industry or big pharma than these people will not believe you. They trust those industries so that's what they'll believe. As for me I have different beliefs and I trust mother nature more.

taken directly form this guys post profile.

If you truly believe that,

Next time dont bring him to the hospital.
    Take him to a homeopathic treatment person and let mother nature heal his body then

You are a hypocrit and if you really believed that you wouldn't have brought your son to the hospital.

Pharma and the medical industry saved your son.

I am not saying your son deserves to die I am stating that you are being a hypocrit. Everything we do in the hospital is based off of research rather than our "gut"

We base our information from the national institute of health and clinical trials

Even the stuff we learn in school is based off of research of the past. Research is what allowed people to save your son.

If he had just pumped his kid full of garlic and silver he would have been fine.

I am not saying there is not shadiness of the medical and pharma field but generalizations are pretty ridiculous

When **** gets real all of these people who bash the medical industry get scared and run to "big pharma"

instead of taking chances with the people they preached about

So just because we're going to some day need the medical industry means that we should look the other way? That we shouldn't criticize dangerous practices? That we shouldn't minimize the number of drugs we take? That we shouldn't aspire to live a drug free life? Please explain.

I am saying dont generalize the whole industry and the studies that we post as BS.
    The reason why is because these are the same studies that we are using to care for you.

You disregard our studies but you dont disregard the treatment that are based on the studies?
    It wasnt targeted to you. it was targeted toward that guys statement of the fitness studies we post.
    That person says he "trusts mother nature" more.

I am calling him a hypocrit, not targeted toward anyone else here but him alone
    You cannot say you trust mother nature more but when **** gets real you bring it to the evil company

Most people today, cannot live a drug free life because they are too busy stuffing their face and becoming inactive. it has nothing to do with the pharmaceutical industry.
    The pharmaceutical industry it there to let people cheat death that are already slowing killing themselves

but since you are talking about "Dangerous practice"
    There are bad doctors who give **** care
    there are good doctors
    there are good doctors who make mistakes.

Regardless you are cheating death and there will be mistakes but many doctors are in the business to help people. To make judgements on a whole industry based off of a portion is prejudice.

see, thing is that I agree with him. I'd much rather treat myself naturally than with drugs any day of the week.

i'll throw you the biggest example of them all. acid reflux. this "disease" alone rakes in billions of dollars for pharmaceutical companies and doctors alike. and what's the best part? you have to take the drugs FOR LIFE! Why? because they don't CURE anything, they just "manage" it.

well guess what? Acid reflux is 100% curable using natural remedies. CURABLE.

90% of doctors, however, just do as they're told and hand out the PPIs and H2 blockers at the first complaint of chest/throat pain. they think they're doing the right thing - it's not their fault. it's the training and the approach the entire industry takes that's at fault.

doctors look to manage symptoms

naturopaths look to find cures

it's that simple

YAY for more tangents!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes I know but if it's not backed by the medical industry or big pharma than these people will not believe you. They trust those industries so that's what they'll believe. As for me I have different beliefs and I trust mother nature more.

Take him to a homeopathic treatment person and let mother nature heal his body then

You are a hypocrit and if you really believed that you wouldn't have brought your son to the hospital.

I am not saying your son deserves to die I am stating that you are being a hypocrit. Everything we do in the hospital is based off of research rather than our "gut"

We base our information from the national institute of health and clinical trials

Even the stuff we learn in school is based off of research of the past. Research is what allowed people to save your son.

If he had just pumped his kid full of garlic and silver he would have been fine.

I am not saying there is not shadiness of the medical and pharma field but generalizations are pretty ridiculous

When **** gets real all of these people who bash the medical industry get scared and run to "big pharma"

So just because we're going to some day need the medical industry means that we should look the other way? That we shouldn't criticize dangerous practices? That we shouldn't minimize the number of drugs we take? That we shouldn't aspire to live a drug free life? Please explain.

I am saying dont generalize the whole industry and the studies that we post as BS.
    The reason why is because these are the same studies that we are using to care for you.

You disregard our studies but you dont disregard the treatment that are based on the studies?
    It wasnt targeted to you. it was targeted toward that guys statement of the fitness studies we post.

You cannot say you trust mother nature more but when **** gets real you bring it to the evil company

Most people today, cannot live a drug free life because they are too busy stuffing their face and becoming inactive. it has nothing to do with the pharmaceutical industry.
    The pharmaceutical industry it there to let people cheat death that are already slowing killing themselves

there are good doctors

Regardless you are cheating death and there will be mistakes but many doctors are in the business to help people. To make judgements on a whole industry based off of a portion is prejudice.

see, thing is that I agree with him. I'd much rather treat myself naturally than with drugs any day of the week.

i'll throw you the biggest example of them all. acid reflux. this "disease" alone rakes in billions of dollars for pharmaceutical companies and doctors alike. and what's the best part? you have to take the drugs FOR LIFE! Why? because they don't CURE anything, they just "manage" it.

90% of doctors, however, just do as they're told and hand out the PPIs and H2 blockers at the first complaint of chest/throat pain. they think they're doing the right thing - it's not their fault. it's the training and the approach the entire industry takes that's at fault.

it's that simple

YAY for more tangents!

Jesus dude. You can't extrapolate your experience with a particular condition to all people with that condition.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

there are good doctors

it's that simple

YAY for more tangents!

Jesus dude. You can't extrapolate your experience with a particular condition to all people with that condition.

why not? unfortunately i'm very, very knowledgeable about reflux
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Umm yeah my son was born 3 months premature because my wife flew on an airplane... Whats the big deal? Millions of babies are born premature. He's fine now.
    Thats my point.

Your son's birth was far from natural

there are plenty of preemies but 12 weeks is pushing it. If we were still living in times of basic labor and delivery with no neonatal intensive care unit. That baby wouldn't make it.

Arent you happy that the medical field did research which saved your son?
    Arent you happy that the drugs helped make it capable for your son to be born?
    Arent you glad that the medical professionals who were trained by schools that used researched to save your wive and son?

I am not trying to make you feel bad. I want you to think and not be so extreme.

Research, pharmaceuticals, and medical industry is what allows premature babies to live.

the fact that they do not have developed lungs and cannot produce their own surfactant etc is already bad enough.
  • DatMurse
    Options

there are good doctors

it's that simple

YAY for more tangents!

No you arent

there is a difference between gerd(acid reflux disease) and normal acid reflux.

if you have gerd there is damage to the spincter that stops the backflow into the throat.
    Even if you treat the symptoms you still have the problem of a weakened sphincter.

So you are not knowledgeable. you do not even know the disease. and you cannot eat what exactly like the normal person can.

There is a big difference between treating the symptoms and curing the disease

Going back to the previous statement before you started talking about trying to spit out information that you were wrong about in the first place.

I am sure you do not know anything about nursing care

Nursing care is the midway between holistic care and pharmacotherapy.
    You try all nonpharmacological measures first and if that cant do anything, you look at pharmacological.

Most nurses do not go into the research that I do, but I would look up every alternative to go into drug therapy.

Order of care is
    Try nonpharm to treat them
    if symptoms cannot be manage nonpharm
    you stabilize them with drugs
    treat them nonpharm
    stop drugs
    and hopefully the problem will stay away
    So nursing ideas are the midpoint. Like how everything should be. Moderation.

There is nothing wrong with going the nonpharmacological route. Which people should do first before they initiate drugs. I completely agree. There is no reason to bad mouth it likes it the worst thing in the world.

You will go to them if you are dying, but you are overall badmouthing the field

Your attitude is the one of an extremist and you act like there is no room for negotiation. I honestly hope you grow out of it,
  • CoachReddy
    Options

there are good doctors

it's that simple

YAY for more tangents!

No you arent

there is a difference between gerd and normal acid reflux.

if you have gerd there is damage to the spincter that stops the backflow.
    Even if you treat the symptoms you still have the problem.

So you are not knowledgeable. you do not even know the disease. and you cannot eat what the normal person can.

Going back to the previous statement before you started talking about trying to spit out information that you were wrong about in the first place.

You try all nonpharmacological measures first and if that cant do anything, you look at pharmacological.

Most nurses do not go into the research that I do, but I would look up every alternative to go into drug therapy.

Order of care is
    treat them nonpharm
    stop drugs

There is nothing wrong with going the nonpharmacological route. Which people should do first before they initiate drugs. I completely agree. There is no reason to bad mouth it likes it the worst thing in the world.

Your attitude is the one of an extremist and you act like there is no room for negotiation. I honestly hope you grow out of it,

um, excuse me? you're telling ME what I am and am not knowledgeable about? That's rich. you know nothing of me or my life. I've been dealing with "reflux" for almost two years and it has completely derailed my professional career and my personal life. I know everything there is to know about it.

what'd you do, study GERD and reflux in a text book? you just regurgitating what you read? please. get off your "i'm a nursing student" high horse.

for the record, I don't, and have never had GERD. whoops. misdiagnosis on your part. but I guess that's not what you're paid to do as a nurse. I was diagnosed with LPR. Do you even know what that is? Frankly, it's ok if you don't because it's likely just a made up disease anyway according to many GI doctors and naturopaths. But nonetheless, it's a go-to diagnosis when ENT's don't know what's wrong or why your larynx is swollen/red. They put you on PPIs and never look back. Don't bother to do any actual testing, and they don't attempt any non-pharma treatment.

Prevacid is the second most profitable drug on the market. 50% of people in America have "reflux". If you know so much about it, how do you cure it? What are the issues at play, and what would you suggest to fix them? After you give yours I'll give mine.
  • DatMurse
    Options

there are good doctors

it's that simple

YAY for more tangents!

No you arent

So you are not knowledgeable. you do not even know the disease. and you cannot eat what the normal person can.

Order of care is
    treat them nonpharm
    stop drugs

um, excuse me? you're telling ME what I am and am not knowledgeable about? That's rich. you know nothing of me or my life. I've been dealing with "reflux" for almost two years and it has completely derailed my professional career and my personal life. I know everything there is to know about it.

what'd you do, study GERD and reflux in a text book? you just regurgitating what you read? please. get off your "i'm a nursing student" high horse.

for the record, I don't, and have never had GERD. whoops. misdiagnosis on your part. but I guess that's not what you're paid to do as a nurse. I was diagnosed with LPR. Do you even know what that is? Frankly, it's ok if you don't because it's likely just a made up disease anyway according to many GI doctors and naturopaths. But nonetheless, it's a go-to diagnosis when ENT's don't know what's wrong or why your larynx is swollen/red. They put you on PPIs and never look back. Don't bother to do any actual testing, and they don't attempt any non-pharma treatment.

Prevacid is the second most profitable drug on the market. 50% of people in America have "reflux". If you know so much about it, how do you cure it? What are the issues at play, and what would you suggest to fix them? After you give yours I'll give mine.
    Yea cause you are totally in front of me. lol

Yea I dont know what I am talking about because I said that gerd is not the same as acid reflux. Where do you think knowledge comes from? mid air?
    I am not the one preaching that I know about GERD when GERD is a hernia in your throat.
    Acid reflux is a symptom.
    Gerd is the disease due to a weakened sphincter or hernia that has acid reflux as a symptom

lets see. what would I recommend for acid reflux. NOT THE DISEASE

tums because it alkalizes your stomach.
    probably a higher intake of alkalotic foods,
    Avoid highly acidic food
    don't eat right after you sleep, do not lay down right away all the time

if none of that works you would have to go into drug therapy. There is probably more things I would have to read up on, but i am not going to look it up because I am not going to bother.

I think I already proved my point when you called GERD curable through non surgical measures.
    Thats like saying I cured the hernia on my abdomen

I guess you will always stay an extremist and you drifting away from my previous statement, This is just sad
  • CoachReddy
    Options

No you arent

Order of care is
    treat them nonpharm
    stop drugs

Yea cause you are totally in front of me. lol

Yea I dont know what I am talking about because I said that gerd is not the same as acid reflux. Where do you think knowledge comes from? mid air?
    I am not the one preaching that I know about GERD when GERD is a hernia in your throat.
    Acid reflux is a symptom.
    Gerd is the disease due to a weakened sphincter or hernia that has acid reflux as a symptom

lets see. what would I recommend for acid reflux. NOT THE DISEASE

tums because it alkalizes your stomach.
    probably a higher intake of alkalotic foods,
    Avoid highly acidic food
    don't eat right after you sleep, do not lay down right away all the time

if none of that works you would have to go into drug therapy. There is probably more things I would have to read up on, but i am not going to look it up because I am not going to bother.

I think I already proved my point when you called GERD curable through non surgical measures.
    Thats like saying I cured the hernia on my abdomen

I guess you will always stay an extremist and you drifting away from my previous statement, This is just sad

WOW

typical reflux =/= GERD =/= LPR

three different things.

and you're also wrong about the treatment. here we go, off the top of my head.

Typical Reflux: This happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) relaxes and allows stomach contents back up into the esophagus. This causes the burning sensation, and is typically experienced after eating foods that can cause the LES to relax, such as fatty, fried foods, chocolate, alcohol, mint, etc. If this happens to you rarely, than you can simply treat the symptoms. Tums aren't ideal, but since you don't use them all the time, it's ok. Better options are things like apple cider vinegar or bitters - which will cause the malfunctioning LES to suddenly close tightly due to the acidity of the ACV/bitters

GERD: This happens when the above malfunction occurs more regularly, leading to potential esophageal damage. GERD can, if left untreated, turn into more serious conditions such as barrett's esophagus and can even be a precursor for esophageal cancer. Treatment for GERD is actually quite simple if you ignore what your doctor tells you. They'll put you on PPIs and H2 blockers which will probably help, however to control the symptoms you'll need to take them the rest of your life, and you will also have to adopt all the lifestyle changes that are recommended (3 or four hours after eating to go to sleep, refining your diet, etc). The reality is that many people are diagnosed with GERD even without having a stomach acidity test using what's called a Heidelburg Capsule. Most GI's simply use an endoscopy to see the damage in the esophagus and don't bother with anything else.

The interesting thing? Most people with GERD actually suffer from LOW stomach acid, and when you treat this issue, GERD (and in my case, LPR) goes away because your stomach begins to function normally again. That's the kicker. Doctors see your stomach isn't working right, so they give you a drug that will actually cause it to work even MORE abnormally, by shutting off acid production. Well guess what? The stomach NEEDS ACID! Acid is what signals the LES to close in the FIRST PLACE! So when you turn off the acid production with PPIs, you're exacerbating the problem if the person ever wants to get OFF the drugs.

So how do you do it?

You supplement with HCl to start the LES functioning better. It also helps to supplement with D3 and B12 in high amounts to stimulate muscle and nerve function, thus also strengthening the LES. It all comes down to that sphincter. When you can fix its motility, you'll solve reflux. So you supplement with HCl at meals, along with digestive enzymes and probiotics. I've been doing this for about two months, and in that time my symptoms have virtually disappeared and my life is almost back to normal.

LPR: Just to round things out. LPR is a condition where it is believed by conventional medicine that acid - primarily pepsin - makes its way ALL the way up to your UES and burns your larynx. There are often no symptoms other than hoarseness, post nasal drip, etc. Rarely do people with LPR experience the traditional heartburn of acid reflux. PPIs are entirely ineffective, and in many people lifestyle changes are also ineffective. GI docs generally don't think it's a real condition. ENT's don't know how to treat it. The reality is that I think LPR is more a neurological/muscular/psychological issue than anything, but according to medical science, it is still classified as a form of reflux.

but please, explain reflux to me some more.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    GERD is not a hernia in your throat. which muscle is the throat again?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Reddy, just to remind you of what you said:
    Acid reflux is 100% curable using natural remedies. CURABLE.

That statement is nonsense. Your particular condition went away with whatever natural stuff you did. Good. We're happy you got it under control. Extrapolating that to "acid reflux is 100% curable using natural remedies" is absolute nonsense.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That statement is nonsense. Your particular condition went away with whatever natural stuff you did. Good. We're happy you got it under control. Extrapolating that to "acid reflux is 100% curable using natural remedies" is absolute nonsense.

what experience do you have to tell me it's nonsense? i just put my money where my mouth was - you do the same.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    saw this - I don't envy you the trolling you will get by veg-haters...good luck...

The post was not pro-vegetarian or pro-vegan. It wasn't even anti-meat (I eat meat). I was simply sharing what I thought was an interesting article.

The thread type should have been "Another strike against gut bacteria."

Yes, as opposed to it's tabloid style title. Another (potential) strike for misinformation.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    So what was the point if this thread? All I see are people crying about meat?

And your contributions have added what of use?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

what experience do you have to tell me it's nonsense? i just put my money where my mouth was - you do the same.

jonny? I'm waiting...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I didn't realize you put money on the line.

Yawn.

Seriously dude. You're claiming that all acid reflux can be 100% "cured" by natural remedies.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yawn.

Seriously dude. You're claiming that all acid reflux can be 100% "cured" by natural remedies.

aw see you added the word "all" to make it sound like a more outlandish statement.

however, more often than not, acid reflux can be 100% cured by natural remedies. pharmaceutical treatments have a 0% cure rate.

do you have proof to the contrary? I've shown you my particular case. do you want me to point you to further examples and resources? because I can. I didn't just make this theory up. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yawn.

aw see you added the word "all" to make it sound like a more outlandish statement.

however, more often than not, acid reflux can be 100% cured by natural remedies. pharmaceutical treatments have a 0% cure rate.

do you have proof to the contrary? I've shown you my particular case. do you want me to point you to further examples and resources? because I can. I didn't just make this theory up. :wink:

Acid reflux can be cured 100% with natural remedies!*

*only some of it can