Another (potential) strike against red meat

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You won't win friends with salad.

I nearly always get requests for my salad recipes. And most don't contain meat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    saw this - I don't envy you the trolling you will get by veg-haters...good luck...

The post was not pro-vegetarian or pro-vegan. It wasn't even anti-meat (I eat meat). I was simply sharing what I thought was an interesting article.

The thread type should have been "Another strike against gut bacteria."
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

are you vegetarian, vegan, or raw vegan? or just talking about the negatives of meat?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I didn't feel like slogging through 9 pages to watch the inevitable fight break out.

I just had to get this off my chest: to the OP. Do you REALLY think that posting some random link to a random study wasn't going to cause a ruckus? Do you REALLY think that people that are totally okay with eating meat (red...white...or any other colored meat) are going to stop because some random stranger from teh interwebz posted a study that says it's bad?

I was hoping for discussion, I knew ruckus was a possibility. I think it's been pretty tame except for the 2 guys trying to hijack the thread with their antibiotic crap. The study didn't say red meat was bad.

It was not my intention to dictate or change the diets of others.
  • bcattoes
    Options

are you vegetarian, vegan, or raw vegan? or just talking about the negatives of meat?

Not vegetarian, vegan or raw vegan. The post was about the negatives of red meat, or at least the suggestion of negatives from this one study.

I just happen to prefer salads made from grains and beans to those with greens and meat. And I'm a good cook.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I didn't feel like slogging through 9 pages to watch the inevitable fight break out.

I just had to get this off my chest: to the OP. Do you REALLY think that posting some random link to a random study wasn't going to cause a ruckus? Do you REALLY think that people that are totally okay with eating meat (red...white...or any other colored meat) are going to stop because some random stranger from teh interwebz posted a study that says it's bad?

I was hoping for discussion, I knew ruckus was a possibility. I think it's been pretty tame except for the 2 guys trying to hijack the thread with their antibiotic crap. The study didn't say red meat was bad.

In my case, no intent to hijack - thanks for the study.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options

K, then, that's cool. :laugh:

Hell, had I slogged though the mess, I wouldn't have even posted. That'll learn me!!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    saw this - I don't envy you the trolling you will get by veg-haters...good luck...

The post was not pro-vegetarian or pro-vegan. It wasn't even anti-meat (I eat meat). I was simply sharing what I thought was an interesting article.

The thread type should have been "Another strike against gut bacteria."

That's not as catchy. I needed a good headline.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Not vegetarian, vegan or raw vegan. The post was about the negatives of red meat, or at least the suggestion of negatives from this one study.

I just happen to prefer salads made from grains and beans to those with greens and meat. And I'm a good cook.
    ahh just wondering.
    I am a firm believer of moderation.
    too many people are polar and dont look for anything in the middle
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I do a master cleanse. It flushes the carnitine from red meat.

Well there you go. Apparently we *do* have toxins. Who knew?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Everyone in the medical community... or do you consider the folks at NYU quacks as well? (See earlier link I posted)
  • bcattoes
    Options

How would that cleanse work, I wonder. Would you use some type of wrap on the meat itself? Or do you something like a Shakeology cleanse on the animal just before slaughter?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not a bandwagon everything is evil hopper but the access to cheap red meat is a pretty new phenomenom. It was generally only during feasts that you would even dare kill the fatted calf and you never killed Bessie because she was your milk. You only ate bacon a few times a year after you had slaughtered, butchered, and cured your favorite pig Oinky. The abudance of regular meat is a pretty new thing not that I'm complaining.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Everyone in the medical community... or do you consider the folks at NYU quacks as well? (See earlier link I posted)

Hey, I am just now finding out from the MFP experts that my cold medicine doesn't work. It's apparently all in my head. Maybe I just walked through Wonderland and became immune to viral infections. *shrugs*

Maybe they are all quacks, and NO ONE knows it?

what-if.jpg
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    So what was the point if this thread? All I see are people crying about meat?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Yes I know but if it's not backed by the medical industry or big pharma than these people will not believe you. They trust those industries so that's what they'll believe. As for me I have different beliefs and I trust mother nature more.
    UPDATE: JAN 15 2013 - I've gone down from 143 to 136 since I joined MfP. There was an unfortunate emergency In my family and I ended up living in the hospital taking care of my son for 2 weeks. I couldn't sleep well because I was so worried and his machine kept beeping + nurses and doctors kept walking in checking his vitals all day and night. Thanks to God my son is doing better and I'm back home

taken directly form this guys post profile.

If you truly believe that,

Next time dont bring him to the hospital.
    Take him to a homeopathic treatment person and let mother nature heal his body then

You are a hypocrit and if you really believed that you wouldn't have brought your son to the hospital.

Pharma and the medical industry saved your son.

I am not saying your son deserves to die I am stating that you are being a hypocrit. Everything we do in the hospital is based off of research rather than our "gut"

We base our information from the national institute of health and clinical trials

Even the stuff we learn in school is based off of research of the past. Research is what allowed people to save your son.

If he had just pumped his kid full of garlic and silver he would have been fine.

I am not saying there is not shadiness of the medical and pharma field but generalizations are pretty ridiculous

When **** gets real all of these people who bash the medical industry get scared and run to "big pharma"

instead of taking chances with the people they preached about

So just because we're going to some day need the medical industry means that we should look the other way? That we shouldn't criticize dangerous practices? That we shouldn't minimize the number of drugs we take? That we shouldn't aspire to live a drug free life? Please explain.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Yes I know but if it's not backed by the medical industry or big pharma than these people will not believe you. They trust those industries so that's what they'll believe. As for me I have different beliefs and I trust mother nature more.

taken directly form this guys post profile.

If you truly believe that,

Next time dont bring him to the hospital.
    Take him to a homeopathic treatment person and let mother nature heal his body then

You are a hypocrit and if you really believed that you wouldn't have brought your son to the hospital.

Pharma and the medical industry saved your son.

I am not saying your son deserves to die I am stating that you are being a hypocrit. Everything we do in the hospital is based off of research rather than our "gut"

We base our information from the national institute of health and clinical trials

Even the stuff we learn in school is based off of research of the past. Research is what allowed people to save your son.

If he had just pumped his kid full of garlic and silver he would have been fine.

I am not saying there is not shadiness of the medical and pharma field but generalizations are pretty ridiculous

When **** gets real all of these people who bash the medical industry get scared and run to "big pharma"

instead of taking chances with the people they preached about

So just because we're going to some day need the medical industry means that we should look the other way? That we shouldn't criticize dangerous practices? That we shouldn't minimize the number of drugs we take? That we shouldn't aspire to live a drug free life? Please explain.

I am saying dont generalize the whole industry and the studies that we post as BS.
    The reason why is because these are the same studies that we are using to care for you.

You disregard our studies but you dont disregard the treatment that are based on the studies?
    It wasnt targeted to you. it was targeted toward that guys statement of the fitness studies we post.
    That person says he "trusts mother nature" more.

I am calling him a hypocrit, not targeted toward anyone else here but him alone
    You cannot say you trust mother nature more but when **** gets real you bring it to the evil company

Most people today, cannot live a drug free life because they are too busy stuffing their face and becoming inactive. it has nothing to do with the pharmaceutical industry.
    The pharmaceutical industry it there to let people cheat death that are already slowing killing themselves

but since you are talking about "Dangerous practice"
    There are bad doctors who give **** care
    there are good doctors
    there are good doctors who make mistakes.

Regardless you are cheating death and there will be mistakes but many doctors are in the business to help people. To make judgements on a whole industry based off of a portion is prejudice.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I would suggest that posting his personal profile info / history of his child is not necessary.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Red meat = Paradise : I don't care about the article. Cows will die and I will eat them! Feast on glorious beef!
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I would suggest that posting his personal profile info / history of his child is not necessary.

I dont put up with people who attack me personally. If they want to get on a personal level I will do that.
    Regardless if I am not affected by their insults.