Another (potential) strike against red meat

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize you put money on the line.

Yawn.

Seriously dude. You're claiming that all acid reflux can be 100% "cured" by natural remedies.

aw see you added the word "all" to make it sound like a more outlandish statement.

however, more often than not, acid reflux can be 100% cured by natural remedies. pharmaceutical treatments have a 0% cure rate.

do you have proof to the contrary? I've shown you my particular case. do you want me to point you to further examples and resources? because I can. I didn't just make this theory up. :wink:

Acid reflux can be cured 100% with natural remedies!*

*only some of it can

acid reflux can be cured 100% with natural remedies. nowhere did I say there's a 100% cure rate. twisting my words, cutie.

what's the pharmaceutical cure rate?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It does amuse me a little that the very same people who, in a fitness related thread, will be banging on about the importance of 'evidence' and 'research' dismiss 'evidence' and 'research' without any thought or argument, when it doesn't fit with their particular view on the world.

I don't care who does and doesn't eat read meat, for the record. But the dodgy logic on this thread entertains me.

TRUE.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    50356_44547700394_2035_n.jpg

strip.burger%20combo_lrg.jpg
    96782528_8d113ed22d.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So what was the point if this thread? All I see are people crying about meat?

The point was to share information from a recent nutrition study.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Red meat = Paradise : I don't care about the article. Cows will die and I will eat them! Feast on glorious beef!

The article doesn't care about you either.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    So what was the point if this thread? All I see are people crying about meat?

And your contributions have added what of use?

about the same as your post just did lol
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    The inter-relationships between vegetarianism and eating disorders among females.
    Bardone-Cone AM, Fitzsimmons-Craft EE, Harney MB, Maldonado CR, Lawson MA, Smith R, Robinson DP.
    SourceDepartment of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA. bardonecone@unc.edu

Abstract
    When individuals with a suspected or diagnosed eating disorder adopt a vegetarian diet, health care professionals might worry that this choice could function as a socially acceptable way to legitimize food avoidance. Yet only limited research has examined vegetarianism in relation to eating disorders. Our study objectives were to compare individuals with and without an eating disorder history and individuals at different stages of eating disorder recovery on past and current vegetarianism and motivations for and age at becoming vegetarian. Participants were females seen at some point for an eating disorder (n=93) and controls who never had an eating disorder (n=67). Recruitment and data collection for this cross-sectional study occurred in 2007-2008. χ(2) analyses and analyses of variance and covariance were used to examine the research questions. Compared with controls, individuals with an eating disorder history were considerably more likely to ever have been vegetarian (52% vs 12%; P<0.001), to be currently vegetarian (24% vs 6%; P<0.01), and to be primarily motivated by weight-related reasons (42% vs 0%; P<0.05). The three recovery status groups (fully recovered, partially recovered, and active eating disorder) did not differ significantly in percentiles endorsing a history of vegetarianism or weight-related reasons as primary, but they differed significantly in current vegetarianism (33% of active cases, 13% of partially recovered, 5% of fully recovered; P<0.05). Most perceived that their vegetarianism was related to their eating disorder (68%) and emerged after its onset. Results shed light on the vegetarianism-eating disorders relation and suggest intervention considerations for clinicians (eg, investigating motives for vegetarianism).
  • CarribeanBlueGirl
    CarribeanBlueGirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the study or the exact amount, but I read that the amount of red meat needed to cause such issues was quite high. I definitely remember the amount being higher than the amount of meat my carnivorous boyfriend eats in an entire day.

Well yes, surely one would not expect one day of eating red meat (or anything else) to have lasting health consequences. It's nearly always a pattern of eating over time that has consequences.

Actually one meal of red meat causes damage to our bodies. Our bodies try to heal from it (takes 6 hours) but we're consuming it again before it gets the chance. Thus the damage over time (long time) causes cancer and heart disease. This has been studied extensively. A great nutrition website that is not paid for by big corporations (is trustworthy and nonprofit) is THE PHYSICIANS COMMITTEE FOR RESPONSIBLE MEDICINE. Their site is pcrm.org. Another is nutrtitionfacts.org
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If you put gravy over your red meat that will protect you from EVERYTHING.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    The inter-relationships between vegetarianism and eating disorders among females.
    Bardone-Cone AM, Fitzsimmons-Craft EE, Harney MB, Maldonado CR, Lawson MA, Smith R, Robinson DP.
    SourceDepartment of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA. bardonecone@unc.edu

Abstract
    When individuals with a suspected or diagnosed eating disorder adopt a vegetarian diet, health care professionals might worry that this choice could function as a socially acceptable way to legitimize food avoidance. Yet only limited research has examined vegetarianism in relation to eating disorders. Our study objectives were to compare individuals with and without an eating disorder history and individuals at different stages of eating disorder recovery on past and current vegetarianism and motivations for and age at becoming vegetarian. Participants were females seen at some point for an eating disorder (n=93) and controls who never had an eating disorder (n=67). Recruitment and data collection for this cross-sectional study occurred in 2007-2008. χ(2) analyses and analyses of variance and covariance were used to examine the research questions. Compared with controls, individuals with an eating disorder history were considerably more likely to ever have been vegetarian (52% vs 12%; P<0.001), to be currently vegetarian (24% vs 6%; P<0.01), and to be primarily motivated by weight-related reasons (42% vs 0%; P<0.05). The three recovery status groups (fully recovered, partially recovered, and active eating disorder) did not differ significantly in percentiles endorsing a history of vegetarianism or weight-related reasons as primary, but they differed significantly in current vegetarianism (33% of active cases, 13% of partially recovered, 5% of fully recovered; P<0.05). Most perceived that their vegetarianism was related to their eating disorder (68%) and emerged after its onset. Results shed light on the vegetarianism-eating disorders relation and suggest intervention considerations for clinicians (eg, investigating motives for vegetarianism).

really? this isn't even a thread about vegetarianism. what are you insinuating?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you put gravy over your red meat that will protect you from EVERYTHING.

True story
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I don't remember the study or the exact amount, but I read that the amount of red meat needed to cause such issues was quite high. I definitely remember the amount being higher than the amount of meat my carnivorous boyfriend eats in an entire day.

Well yes, surely one would not expect one day of eating red meat (or anything else) to have lasting health consequences. It's nearly always a pattern of eating over time that has consequences.

Actually one meal of red meat causes damage to our bodies. Our bodies try to heal from it (takes 6 hours) but we're consuming it again before it gets the chance. Thus the damage over time (long time) causes cancer and heart disease. This has been studied extensively. A great nutrition website that is not paid for by big corporations (is trustworthy and nonprofit) is THE PHYSICIANS COMMITTEE FOR RESPONSIBLE MEDICINE. Their site is pcrm.org. Another is nutrtitionfacts.org

One meal causes what kind of damage, exactly?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Abstract

This thread is not about eating disorders or vegetarianism so this is way off topic. Did you post to the wrong thread?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    This thread is not about eating disorders or vegetarianism so this is way off topic. Did you post to the wrong thread?

you expected useful discourse in a thread titled with an obvious agenda?
  • bcattoes
    Options

you expected useful discourse in a thread titled with an obvious agenda?

Oh, you are one of those that doesn't read past the headline. Carry on then.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Abstract
    When individuals with a suspected or diagnosed eating disorder adopt a vegetarian diet, health care professionals might worry that this choice could function as a socially acceptable way to legitimize food avoidance. Yet only limited research has examined vegetarianism in relation to eating disorders. Our study objectives were to compare individuals with and without an eating disorder history and individuals at different stages of eating disorder recovery on past and current vegetarianism and motivations for and age at becoming vegetarian. Participants were females seen at some point for an eating disorder (n=93) and controls who never had an eating disorder (n=67). Recsruitment and data collection for this cross-sectional study occurred in 2007-2008. χ(2) analyses and analyses of variance and covariance were used to examine the research questions. Compared with controls, individuals with an eating disorder history were considerably more likely to ever have been vegetarian (52% vs 12%; P<0.001), to be currently vegetarian (24% vs 6%; P<0.01), and to be primarily motivated by weight-related reasons (42% vs 0%; P<0.05). The three recovery status groups (fully recovered, partially recovered, and active eating disorder) did not differ significantly in percentiles endorsing a history of vegetarianism or weight-related reasons as primary, but they differed significantly in current vegetarianism (33% of active cases, 13% of partially recovered, 5% of fully recovered; P<0.05). Most perceived that their vegetarianism was related to their eating disorder (68%) and emerged after its onset. Results shed light on the vegetarianism-eating disorders relation and suggest intervention considerations for clinicians (eg, investigating motives for vegetarianism).

It's about your reflux.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Abstract
    When individuals with a suspected or diagnosed eating disorder adopt a vegetarian diet, health care professionals might worry that this choice could function as a socially acceptable way to legitimize food avoidance. Yet only limited research has examined vegetarianism in relation to eating disorders. Our study objectives were to compare individuals with and without an eating disorder history and individuals at different stages of eating disorder recovery on past and current vegetarianism and motivations for and age at becoming vegetarian. Participants were females seen at some point for an eating disorder (n=93) and controls who never had an eating disorder (n=67). Recsruitment and data collection for this cross-sectional study occurred in 2007-2008. χ(2) analyses and analyses of variance and covariance were used to examine the research questions. Compared with controls, individuals with an eating disorder history were considerably more likely to ever have been vegetarian (52% vs 12%; P<0.001), to be currently vegetarian (24% vs 6%; P<0.01), and to be primarily motivated by weight-related reasons (42% vs 0%; P<0.05). The three recovery status groups (fully recovered, partially recovered, and active eating disorder) did not differ significantly in percentiles endorsing a history of vegetarianism or weight-related reasons as primary, but they differed significantly in current vegetarianism (33% of active cases, 13% of partially recovered, 5% of fully recovered; P<0.05). Most perceived that their vegetarianism was related to their eating disorder (68%) and emerged after its onset. Results shed light on the vegetarianism-eating disorders relation and suggest intervention considerations for clinicians (eg, investigating motives for vegetarianism).

It's about your reflux.

sorry i had to school y'all on that. :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Abstract

It's about your reflux.

. I wasn't in your stomach content discussion. I hope you are over the issue, must suck. Are you now cured?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Abstract

It's about your reflux.

. I wasn't in your stomach content discussion. I hope you are over the issue, must suck. Are you now cured?

yeah man. laryngeal tissue takes forever to heal since it's constantly being used in speaking, so it's still not perfect, but i no longer get any reflux and I no longer have to avoid any foods. PPIs for over a year couldn't do that for me, but the holistic approach fixed everything in a span of a month or two.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Commie propaganda.

This.