Evil Aspartame

Options

Replies

• michelleAFFL
    michelleAFFL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary called Hungry for Change and it talks a lot about this stuff.. a real eye opener.. thanks for helping spread the dangers of this awful additive!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I watched a mockumentary called Hungry for Change and it talks a lot about this stuff.. a real eye opener.. thanks for helping spread the dangers of this awful additive!

Fixed that for you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That's true, but at the same time no one is trying to say dairy products poison you based on the handful of people who can't tolerate it either...

You apparently haven't spent much time in the MFP forums. Every week - or so it seems - there's an anti-dairy thread. Based solely on that premise.
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    Oh, scary aspartame! What about Dihydrogen Monoxide:

- is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
    - contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    - may cause severe burns.
    - is fatal if inhaled.
    - contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    - accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    - may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    - has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

- as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    - in nuclear power plants.
    - in the production of Styrofoam.
    - as a fire retardant.
    - in many forms of cruel animal research.
    - in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    - as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

HOLY CRAP! I can't believe what I just read. I'm going to everythign in my power to get this horrible substance out of my house. My family and my health is at stake here!

Wow! this is so scary! Now theres the real threat OP. You should make a post and tell everyone to avoid this insidious substance. I've heard Monsanto uses it in ALL of their farms and production plants.

are you serious? dihydrogen monoxide is water.

therefore - i'm pretttttyyyyy sure that the 'evil Monsanto' is not the only company to use it - and if they are (which they're not) I'd like you to point me in the direction of where you found that glorious piece of information about dihydrogen monoxide.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

therefore - i'm pretttttyyyyy sure that the 'evil Monsanto' is not the only company to use it - and if they are (which they're not) I'd like you to point me in the direction of where you found that glorious piece of information about dihydrogen monoxide.

It's an old joke, spoilsport.
  • Studiousone75
    Studiousone75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot of Diet Pepsi with aspartame in it in the mid-1990s and ended up with
    You probably did a lot of other things so why are they not the cause?
    did research on the Internet and found articles associating aspartame with the ANA situation.
    As we all know everything on the internet is correct and no one ever has an axe to grind or any sort of bias.

Diet Pepsi and anything else with aspartame were the only things eliminated from my diet to enable seeing if they might be the cause or not. I think judging from the fact that I started feeling better after cutting out these things having it that it might be at least partially due to the aspartame.

I know not to believe everything on the Internet but thought it did not hurt to check this alleged connection between ANA and aspartame by eliminating the alleged culprits from my diet to see if it would help. I also read real-life stories of people who drank diet drinks with aspartame in great amounts and ran into the high ANA levels situation and what they did regarding it. They stopped drinking the stuff and got better. I stopped the diet drinks and got better. I think this is worth checking out scientifically to see if it is truly the aspartame or not.

On the other hand, I did not have problems drinking regular sodas with cane sugar or HFCS.
  • Studiousone75
    Studiousone75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Did you not check out the effect of caffeine on lumpus?
    All those symptoms are well documented symptoms of caffeine addiction.

I have not checked the effect of caffeine on lupus. I do not have lupus, either then or now, just a very scary situation of having very elevated ANA levels similar to a person with lupus. I still drink caffeine but it is not giving me the effects that drinking Diet Pepsi did. My doctors did not know what to think of the ANA situation and regarded it as a concern.

Still, it's an interesting thought to try researching the effects of caffeine on people.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Will my lumpus be affected by caffeine?
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Will my lumpus be affected by caffeine?

Lupus + caffeine gives a lot of hits on Google. It's worth looking into. Check it out.
  • authorrjnoel
    Options
    Good to know. I didn't realize it was so bad. I seldom use it but do buy things that are sugar free. Thanks!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think it boils down to we are all humans, we indulge from time to time.

That could be smoking, caffeine, alcohol, fatty foods, aspartame, or other. So artificial sweeteners are not the best thing to put in your body as they man made synthetic chemicals. So sure avoiding everything may be your best bet. Also avoid sun overexposure, not breathing the air if you live in city, etc.. so do your best and enjoy your life sometimes.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I saw a few posts on where's the evidence, here is a list of a few studies on aspartame, there are about 68 total in the list. (see end for link). I avoid it and I avoid Nutrasweet. I had a major reaction (symptoms headache and nausea) to Nutrasweet twice in the 80s (it was new product promoting Nutrasweet called Sun Flakes)

Health Problem: Brain damage/Cognitive skills disruption/Retardation/Neurochemical changes in the brain/Behavioral and Mood Changes/Problems
    Year Published: 1970
    Full Reference: Brain Damage in Infant Mice Following Oral Intake of Glutamate, Aspartate, or Cysteine; Nature 1970;227-609-610
    Funded By: Washington University
    Conclusion/Findings: Irreversible degenerative changes and acute neuronal necrosis
    Hyperlink to Study http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v227/n5258/pdf/227609b0.pdf
    Year Published: 2008
    Full Reference: Direct and Indirect Cellular Effects of Aspartame on the Brain. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2008) 62, 451-462; P. Humphries, E. Pretorius, and H. Naude
    Funded By: Not known
    Conclusion/Findings: Excessive aspartame ingestion might cause certain mental disorders, as well as compromised learning and emotional functioning
    Hyperlink to Study: http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/aspartamebrain.pdf
    Year Published: 2007
    Full Reference: Life-Span Exposure to Low Doses of Aspartame Beginning During Prenatal Life Increases Cancer Effects in Rats, Morando Soffritti, Fiorella Belpoggi, Eva Tibaldi, Davide Degli Esposti, Michelina Lauriola; Environmental Health Perspectives, 115(9) Sep 2007; 115:1293-1297. doi:10.1289/ehp.10271.
    Funded By: Not known
    Conclusion/Findings: Carcinogenicity proven a second time; with effects increased when exposure to aspartame begins during fetal life.
    Hyperlink to Study: http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/10.1289/ehp.10271
    Year Published: 1984
    Full Reference: Effects of Aspartame and Glucose on Rat Brain Amino Acids and Serotonin. Yokogoshi H, Roberst CH, Caballero B, Wurtman RJ. American Journal of clinical Nutrition. 1984 July, 40(1):1-7
    Funded By: MIT
    Conclusion/Findings: High aspartame doses can generate major neurochemical changes in rats, especially when consumed along with carbohydrate-containing foods
    Hyperlink to Study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6204522
    Year Published: 1984
    Full Reference: Revelance of Animal Studies to Human Safety. Olney, JW. Neurobehavioral Toxicology and Teratology. 1984; 6:455-462
    Funded By: MIT
    Conclusion/Findings: Excitotoxins, as used in foods today, may produce blood elevations high enough to cause damage to the nervous system of young children, damage which is not detectable at the time of occurrence but which may give rise to subtle disturbances in neuroendocrine function in adolescence and/or adulthood.
    Hyperlink to Study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6152304

See http://aspartame.mercola.com/sites/aspartame/studies.aspx for entire list.
  • raw_meal
    Options

It's an old joke, spoilsport.

That's pretty funny.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Aspartame sweet misery a poisoned world An entire documentary was made on this subject. Gave me horrible headaches so never used it. Had a couple of diet drinks and made the connection.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owtF2nt2VX4
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Aspartame sweet misery a poisoned world An entire documentary was made on this subject. Gave me horrible headaches so never used it. Had a couple of diet drinks and made the connection.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owtF2nt2VX4
    In other words, it's not for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • raw_meal
    Options
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free = good for weight Ioss

When the sugar is taken out, artificial (chemical) sweeteners are put in.

Not only are these harmful to your health, but studies have shown that they make you crave carbohydrates and actually make you eat MORE--which increases the number on your scale!

Here is just a partial list of the health effects of Aspartame (aka Equal or NutraSweet):

Eyes:
    -Blindness in one or both eyes
    -Decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as blurring, flashes, tunnel vision
    -Eye pain; Dry eyes/decreased tears

and to think I stopped masturbating because i thought that is why I was going blind. now I know it was the diet coke I was drinking.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hippies think chemicals are bad then they want a drug to make their allergies go away.

As a former hippie I can tell you we consumed all sorts of chemicals back in the day in the form of recreational drugs. We had a saying "better living through chemistry"
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    These are all symptoms of diabetic damage, and most of the population who ingests these sugar free sweeteners are indeed diabetic, because if they don't they die.

So basically, don't get diabetes.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    'I say aspartame is bad because a youtube video told me evil companies make it and I get headaches when I have diet coke'

1. Youtube? Blogpost? No.

2. Evil companies don't do half of the bloody things people give them credit for, and god knows where they get the money to supposedly pay off every damn scientist who has ever studied aspartame and declared it safe (and it is THE MOST STUDIED ADDITIVE EVER)

3. Funny how noone gets headaches in studies if they were told there was no aspartame in their drink. Not saying its all in the mind, but you know...

Rant over.