The Fast Metabolism Diet

Options

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have tons of hormone and metabolism problems. My endocrinologist has me eating fruit, vegetables, meat and nuts with one serving of dairy a day, 6 times a day and to limit my calories to between 1,000 and 1,300 a day. It seems to be helping so far when nothing else has.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of this diet, and I have lost 4.8lbs since Monday. Very excited about it!
    It's water weight. Realize that if you really lost fat, you would have had to burn 16,800 calories in that 4 days. That's a burn of 4200 ON TO OF your TDEE. Do you realize how long one would have to work out to burn 4200 calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Hmm, thanks for the input, but I think you're wrong. I'm drinking over 100 oz of water everyday so it makes no sense to say I'm losing water weight... I am not dehydrated and I didn't quit salt/sodium. But I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

ETA: ninerbuff's credentials, not mine. Just posting to point out.
    IDEA Fitness member

Did you miss the qualifications of the person replying to you? I'm pretty sure they know more about the science behind weight loss than you do. Please read up on water weight and understand what it is.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My coworker is doing this right now. It's one of the more expensive diets she's tried. And it's a diet, not a lifestyle/habit/getting-your-head-on-straight-about-nutrition change. All you need to do is eat less and move more and, thus, save your money.

Edit: And when I say try, she's lost the same ten pounds over and over the past eight years on "diets". After she brought this one in, my other coworker said "I wonder when she's just going to break down and listen to what you've done, since the proof is in the pudding." Diets like this may be an acceptable way to "kickstart" a loss, but you really need to change your thinking for anything to stick. As I said to her, good luck with it.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. :-)

In this case, that is not true. My mom and my sister are currently working through her process and having great success.
  • bourscheidmom
    Options
    I am in the middle of week 4. Having gone through 5 years of chemotherapy and it's sidekick steroids, my metabolism was shot. I tried and tried eating clean and exercising for over a year only to lose 3 pounds. Gave the Fast Metabolism Diet a shot and wow, I am down 12 pounds, feel great and my blood work is normal for the first time in ages! Never felt hungry. It does take a lot of prep/planning to be successful but once you get the hang of it it is easy to do. I highly recommend it!
  • arizona2012
    arizona2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello all

I just bought the book The Fast Metabolism Diet then noticed this thread. I was wondering if anyone tried it and would love to hear feedback on their success.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of this book, but every person is different with different needs, so something like this may or may not work. I will by a book used, rather than feather a celebrity doctor's nest, though. I'm seeing an endocrinologist next week and a nutritionist to make sure everything is okay; I can't lose weight at the rate of many people--I am hypothyroid, and it could take awhile before I lose one pound, yet I watch my calories and workout most days. Make sure you see your doctor, first and foremost, get lab work done to ensure that your body is healthy enough that you could try a 'fast metabolism' diet. I just thought that either a person has a fast metabolism or they don't. Mine is slow as molasses in January. The most important thing is to make sure you are doing things the healthy, common sense way. The bod doesn't like gimmicks. Peace:)
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very old thread, but to anyone thinking about following this diet, go back and check out all the people who replied back when it was originally posted and claim they're on it and it's working for them. The majoirty haven't lost anything since.

Diets don't work.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very old thread, but to anyone thinking about following this diet, go back and check out all the people who replied back when it was originally posted and claim they're on it and it's working for them. The majoirty haven't lost anything since.

Diets don't work.
    Good point!!!!!:) I didn't even look at the date of this thread:)
  • mishmz
    mishmz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It would be REALLY great if people who started this diet in the spring of 2013 reported back on whether it impacted them long-term. I mean, the only way we will ever get anywhere as a community is to look back on these things. Stories of success while in the middle of trying something are a lot less reliable than long term impact....

So was the weight gained back after the 28 days?

Did you follow the same recipes but no longer adhere to to the phases/days afterward?

Tell us your stories Fast Metabolism Diet doers!!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It would be REALLY great if people who started this diet in the spring of 2013 reported back on whether it impacted them long-term. I mean, the only way we will ever get anywhere as a community is to look back on these things. Stories of success while in the middle of trying something are a lot less reliable than long term impact....

So was the weight gained back after the 28 days?

Did you follow the same recipes but no longer adhere to to the phases/days afterward?

Tell us your stories Fast Metabolism Diet doers!!

Yup. My biggest issue with these diets is, besides the pseudo-science of "keeping your metabolism guessing," is that after 28 days of it, what happens? A month of following a strict plan doesn't lead to a lifetime of healthy eating.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In. For keeping our metabolisms 'guessing'.
  • vkmason78
    Options
    Making assumptions about what the book says without actually reading it means your not really contributing any type of valuable information, you're just negative. For all those who are assuming this is some type of crazy out there "don't eat anything red" diets you really need to read the book...you're missing the point of how she is using food and your body together to accomplish fat loss. She clearly states that the Phase 3 part of the plan is what you are supposed to use as your daily diet after you've reached your goal. The "diet" (actually a lifestyle change if you read the book and know the foods) uses food to perform certain necessary functions from your glands, hormones, and organs that effect fat loss. It is structured in a way to keep your body in as little stress as possible, one of the best things about the diet is that each phase is only 2 days long (except phase 3 which is 3) so it doesn't feel as restrictive as normal diets do, you are less likely to get off course because your usually right around the corner from new foods that you are looking forward to. There are a TON of food choices most of the time and if you get the app following the daily list of foods is easy. You do have to plan your meals but honestly, if you are actively trying to change your life, lose some weight and be healthier the planning makes the diet easier to follow and you learn more. This isn't a gimmick, the foods you eat are normal healthy foods we all know we're supposed to eat but the order and timing of those foods is what fuels your metabolism and weight loss. Read the book or go to the website to learn more about the diets structure and how it works, I think you'll be surprised as to how normal it actually is. But please, stop condemning something you really know nothing about.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Making assumptions about what the book says without actually reading it means your not really contributing any type of valuable information, you're just negative. For all those who are assuming this is some type of crazy out there "don't eat anything red" diets you really need to read the book...you're missing the point of how she is using food and your body together to accomplish fat loss. She clearly states that the Phase 3 part of the plan is what you are supposed to use as your daily diet after you've reached your goal. The "diet" (actually a lifestyle change if you read the book and know the foods) uses food to perform certain necessary functions from your glands, hormones, and organs that effect fat loss. It is structured in a way to keep your body in as little stress as possible, one of the best things about the diet is that each phase is only 2 days long (except phase 3 which is 3) so it doesn't feel as restrictive as normal diets do, you are less likely to get off course because your usually right around the corner from new foods that you are looking forward to. There are a TON of food choices most of the time and if you get the app following the daily list of foods is easy. You do have to plan your meals but honestly, if you are actively trying to change your life, lose some weight and be healthier the planning makes the diet easier to follow and you learn more. This isn't a gimmick, the foods you eat are normal healthy foods we all know we're supposed to eat but the order and timing of those foods is what fuels your metabolism and weight loss. Read the book or go to the website to learn more about the diets structure and how it works, I think you'll be surprised as to how normal it actually is. But please, stop condemning something you really know nothing about.
    Naw... it's easier to keep my metabolism "guessing" if I don't read a silly book. Unless I want it "confused"...hmm
    So many choices...
    No. Calorie deficit and exercise has always worked. I'll stick with that.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Are you currently doing it? How much weight have you lost and kept off on it?

Just curious of course :)
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cialci
    cialci Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used The Fast Metabolism Diet very strictly for six weeks, lost 10 lbs,, and got down to 128 lbs, leaving me just three more before I hit my final goal of 125. It worked great for me. I feel wonderful now; no feelings of anxiety, exhaustion, etc. I cut out sugar, alcohol, wheat,soy, dairy and caffeine, as it instructs. I had great success. I have reintroduced a glass of wine on weekends and do eat an occasional dessert now and then (also only on weekends), so I am not being as vigilant as I was. Pomroy gives you the tools to make this a way of eating for life, not just for the 28 days. I have maintained the loss; have not gained an ounce back. I will go back to the plan as it is written on Monday. By the following Monday, I will be down to final goal. There will be a lot of people who will call this plan a fad, but I can tell you that I am a postmenopausal woman, age 61, who could not get the weight off, no matter how hard I tried. I did the over-exercising (the good news is, with this plan, you exercise three days a week, but you change up your routine, so you don't get bored) and under-eating. I tracked every calorie. The weight would not budge. I even stopped coming to MyFitnessPal because I was tired of seeing no change on my weight loss stats. I had decided to just give up and accept that I was going to remain fifteen pounds over my personal ideal weight, but I gave this a shot. It worked for me. Several of my friends, women like me, have jumped on it and they, too, are losing weight. It might not be the answer for everyone, but it has been the answer for me. And who could argue against eating wholesome, unprocessed foods? What is the gripe about giving up junk and eating foods that are good for you body?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of this diet, and I have lost 4.8lbs since Monday. Very excited about it!
    It's water weight. Realize that if you really lost fat, you would have had to burn 16,800 calories in that 4 days. That's a burn of 4200 ON TO OF your TDEE. Do you realize how long one would have to work out to burn 4200 calories?

IDEA Fitness member

Hmm, thanks for the input, but I think you're wrong. I'm drinking over 100 oz of water everyday so it makes no sense to say I'm losing water weight... I am not dehydrated and I didn't quit salt/sodium. But I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    Feel free to think what you want, but years of research and scientific study will back me on it. You don't have to dehydrated to lose water weight. In fact being dehydrated would cause one to RETAIN water.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I normally feel sorry for people who fall for these diets but seriously if you think there is some sort of magical food combination that is going to increase your metabolism (substantially not .5% like chillis etc and not regarding the TEF of different macros) then you may as well waste your money and time.

P.S if your metabolism is slow (adaptive thermogenesis) then you need to gain weight not lose it.