Help! my husband wont let me lift heavy weights

Options

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Tell him to f*k off and do your own thing. ;)
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure slavery is over. Take a cue from Nike and just do it. ;)

I love this! LOL! Just, tell him, that you're sorry he feels that way. Then go pump iron.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Let might be the wrong word but he gripes and nags if i do
    Glad you clarified that. Anytime I hear my husband won't let me do something I think abusive relationship. Why not just lift the weights, and not tell him how much you are doing. When he sees the results then you can tell him what you did to get there.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    vj09apM.jpg

Tell him you'll stop when you start getting bulky.

It will never happen - he'll be happy and so will you.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    <--Lifts heavy weights.

</thread>
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your body, your decision. Do it anyway and once he sees that you were right, he may change his opinion. Either way, it's your decision, not his.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    He has got it in his head that if i do i will bulk up. I know thats not true I showed him youtube videos to prove it but he hated how the girl looked in it and now thinks if I lift too much I will look like her. One she had to work to look like that and I wont. Two there is no way I could get like her without years of work how can i help him put this to bed

You are a grown woman yes? I don't believe your husband can stop you from doing anything. Do your thing.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hate this misconception so much. The bodybuilder ladies are on ridiculously strict diets and probably some "supplements".
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm confused why he has to give you permission to do the exercise you want to do.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There is only one thing you will ever have in your life that is truly yours and yours alone. That is your body. Regardless of marriage, regardless of kids, regardless of ANYONE else, you should never allow someone else dominion over that. Once you do, you have given up your very freedom, your essence.

Your husband is out of line if he thinks he has any say in what you can and can't do with your body. If he loves you he will accept it.
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    screw that! He is just afraid you will get stronger than him... Lift big anyway. It's way more fun!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Tell him to suck it up and stop his whining. It is YOUR body so you are free to do what you want.

You are a grown woman. LIft if you want to.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    What a great husband. Glad to hear that men still have "ownership" over women. :huh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Show him pics of women who lift who aren't bulky. If he doesn't stop complaining, then stop talking to him about it or tell him you're doing Zumba instead and don't bring it up again. It's a silly thing to argue about and, unless he's some crazy controlling freak like he will inevitably be judged to be in this thread, it just doesn't matter.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    wow
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    This can work for you. Make him lift all the weight around the house to help keep your muscles small and dainty.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    My partner thinks he doesn't like the look of women that lift either, but like many he has a completely uneducated opinion of what women that lift look like. Having said that, he hasn't tried to stop me and would never dream of it, unless it was affecting my health. In fact he readily supports me despite his opinion, because he loves me and regardless of what he thinks, his main concern is my happiness.

Your partner should be supportive of you even if you want to become a professional body builder. It's your body, it's your health, it's your life. Do what you want to do and prove him wrong.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Sigh.....just do it. If he complains, tell him you're not going to get bulky and that he needs to educate himself.

Then...lift and get hot. :bigsmile:
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I understand not wanting to put strain on a relationship you value. Just tell him that it is so so much easier to lose muscle than to gain it, and if you start to look "too bulky" then you can stop. It definitely can't happen by accident!
  • belligerent599
    Options
    He's not the boss of you. Do it, anyway. You can even get "bulky" if you want to, because it's your body!! Although it may take you several years to get there. I'm actively trying to add muscle mass, and it didn't happen overnight... (yes, that is me in my user picture. I am a horse person hybrid IRL)