Help! my husband wont let me lift heavy weights

Options

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just break up and get a man who knows...stuff!
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need to educate your husband is all. I wish my wife would lift heavy...but she does lift.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend tried to discourage me at first. I persevered. Now he thinks it's great. The thing of it is, you aren't going to get "that look he doesn't like" unless you are deliberately trying and being extremely strict with diet and supplements. It just ain't going to happen. What you will get is sexy.

I have only been lifting for a couple of months, but I can tell you that the results I have gotten are better than a year of cardio. And I like it. And I only have to do it three times a week. And I am starting to look really good, and I feel amazing and strong and confident. Don't let anybody stop you if this is what you want to do.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Your husband won't LET you??

Think about that for a while.... then go lift something heavy.

lol... this.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You lost me at "my husband wont let me" - that'd be reason enough for me to do it a whole bunch.

Pretty much my attitude, too.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My husband didn't like the idea when I mentioned I was lifting weights.. But guess what? I do what I wanna do.

He has to admit that he likes the way it's making my bod look as I lose weight, though he still bristles a bit when I talk about exactly how much I lift and the fact that I want to be stronger.

I think it's pretty funny that he's intimidated by this, so I always make it a point to talk about just how much weight I lifted each day I come home from the gym, LOL.

Yeah, your body. Lift if you want to! I don't even know why you have to discuss it with him. Just go do it. :drinker:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Do it anyways.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There's a few success stories on here doing New Rules of Lifting for Women - some stunning girls with amazing bodies. Show him those - they're not bulked up... e.g:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/733029-no-weight-loss-or-body-fat-loss-after-2-weeks-on-insanity

That book has great information about how heavy lifting improves the lenght and quality of our lives in so many ways. You should read it with him. My hubby thinks it's cool that I can squat my body weight. :wink:
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were in the same boat, so I have dumb bells and do it at home.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just go to the gym and tell him you're just doing cardio like a good girl.

What if she wants to be a bad girl? :laugh: :devil:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    HAH! If my husband ever tried to prevent me from doing something I wanted I would pee on his gaming computer.

Ridiculous! It is your life, darlin'.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    wow

That's right, use light words. Don't want your mouth getting bulky.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Do it...he'll get over it.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I can't say here what I would say if my SO told me I couldn't do something that is healthy for me.

So I will simply say: Your body, your preference.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My wife won't let me sleep with other women!

Well, after reading this thread, damn her! It's my body and I will do as I please. She can't tell me what to do.

Compromise. Pah...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I had to join a gym and not tell my wife for a few months. she hates when I go for a run.

I mean just go do it and eventually he will come around, just don't admit you were cheating on him with gym.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Well, after reading this thread, damn her! It's my body and I will do as I please. She can't tell me what to do.

Compromise. Pah...

Cheating on your partner is completely different as you are harming someone else. No comparison whatsoever.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Let might be the wrong word but he gripes and nags if i do

Yeah, I get you. There is a lot of give and take in a marriage. Why not try finding pics or videos of women that lift heavy and aren't what he considers bulky? Find some pics that better represent your personal goals.

Now, if you what you showed him is your personal goal and he doesn't like it, then you'll likely just have to listen to the gripes.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Compromise. Pah...

Cheating on your partner is completely different as you are harming someone else. No comparison whatsoever.

Disregarding your partner's feelings or dismissing their insecurities out of hand is harmful to someone else: your partner.

All this posturing is utter nonsense.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Compromise. Pah...

Your husband must enjoy some rough sex...