No, I'm not a feminist

Options

Replies

• thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    To answer the question in several points:
    - Fat jokes and criticism for being overweight are more targeted at women. There is a reason that more females get eating disorders than males.
    - With that point in mind, females aren't the only ones being influenced by media. Males see this too and form the opinion that the skinnier girl is, the better. This is mirrored in the things you watch.
    - Now if you see something at breaks this (similar people with body weights together), the immediate outcry is "well that won't happen that's not realistic". We've gotten used to bigger guys with smaller girls in media but not the other way around. Why? Females are targeted for it because they are the "non-dominant" sex.
    - So, these couples aren't portrayed because no one believes it because it is not what they have been exposed to. If no one "believes" it, no one watches it. When no one watches it the companies don't make money which is why media companies don't portray it.

There are shows that have fat woman/thin man couples but they're hard to come by. The only one that comes to mind right now is Finn/Rae in My Mad Fat Diary.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    "Make your hubby happy,

keep your hubby happy,

when he's a little chubby,

he's the happy pappy

with Rockenspiel!"

Wilma Flinstone singing a commercial about keeping hubby happy with food by Rockenspiel. Actually it was considered a sign of a happy marriage if hubby got fat because it was supposed to be a sign that the wife was keeping him well fed. It was aslo the job of hubby to clean up the plates of leftovers by other family members so that food would not go to waste. Hence fat married guy, the symbol of a happily married man !
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this is innappropriate, but, I missed the part where TV is an accurate portrayal of real life. I'm sorry, I thought it was all made up and for entertainment.

That's just crazy talk, next you'll be saying that reality tv isn't actually real! ;-)

Lol! Of course it's real, the tv wouldn't lie to us, right!?

Please refer to the commercial with the French model. The TV doesn't lie, but the Internet does!!!

Edit - yes, that was sarcasm. They all lie.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Okay, I changed my mind. WHERE'S MY SAMMICH!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    "So here is the quick way of working out if you're a feminist. Put your hand in your pants.

a) Do you have a vagina? and
    b) Do you want to be in charge of it?

If you said 'yes' to both, then congratulations! You're a feminist.”

― Caitlin Moran, How to Be a Woman

^^ This is how I view feminism.

I like this a lot, but! You don't have to be a woman to be a feminist! You also don't have to have a vagina to be a woman! (I mean, I know that the quote was mostly directed towards biological women and that's great, but I just felt like I should point those other things out.)

Feminism has a negative connotation still and it really shouldn't because it is a GOOD THING. Every woman should be a feminist. Every HUMAN should be a feminist.
    I love women, and I think that everybody deserves equal treatment before the law.

The reason I'm uncomfortable with the feminist label is that the feminist movement has been invaded by collectivists who are attempting to use feminism to further their own goals instead of the goals of equal treatment. It seems to me that feminism has become less about equality and more about special treatment.

Word. This is why I say "I'm a feminist...a first wave feminist." Gloria Steinem and her ilk can bite me.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @adini I love your shirt :)
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

Watch Shallow Hal.
    They end up together in the end.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    No need to avoid the word "feminist" like it means something terrible...
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I want to see a sitcom where Bradley Cooper dates me. Forget sitcom... I want that in real life. Bradley Cooper makes me tingle.

bahahaha me too!!! he is wayyyyyy too yummy for his own good;]
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I am a feminist... but I do not care. There are double standards all over Hollywood, if you dislike it do not support it.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not a feminist

If you believe that women should be able to be more than:
    1. A babymaker
    2. A sex slave

Then you too, are a feminist.

merit-well-done-curric.jpg
  • danholden4006
    danholden4006 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    2. A sex slave

I thought you said we were going to keep this private?
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being a feminist?

I think you are confused as to what it means.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    "So here is the quick way of working out if you're a feminist. Put your hand in your pants.

I like this a lot, but! You don't have to be a woman to be a feminist! You also don't have to have a vagina to be a woman! (I mean, I know that the quote was mostly directed towards biological women and that's great, but I just felt like I should point those other things out.)

Feminism has a negative connotation still and it really shouldn't because it is a GOOD THING. Every woman should be a feminist. Every HUMAN should be a feminist.
    I love women, and I think that everybody deserves equal treatment before the law.

The reason I'm uncomfortable with the feminist label is that the feminist movement has been invaded by collectivists who are attempting to use feminism to further their own goals instead of the goals of equal treatment. It seems to me that feminism has become less about equality and more about special treatment.

Word. This is why I say "I'm a feminist...a first wave feminist." Gloria Steinem and her ilk can bite me.

It's good to see the internet isn't completely full of crazies! <3
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Shallow Hal.

shallow hal made a bit of a mockery of it, really.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I don't understand the title of your topic. If you don't believe in a double standard for the sexes, yes, you are a feminist.

Boom.

EXACTLY.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know what you are saying. But in real life I know a lot of guys who like women with more meat to them. But that might be because I am surrounded more by men that are from a different culture. I am Latina, so I noticed that ethnic men (not all) tend to like a women who is curvy or even one's that have more weight to them.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

well_done_sir.gif
  • meaningful99
    Options
    Why would you not be a feminist? Who the heck doesn't believe in their own rights?

And what does wanting equal rights under the law have to do with television characters?
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    1. This does not make you a feminist.
    2. Why are people using Shallow Hal as an example? It made a mockery of the pairing.