No, I'm not a feminist

Options
12345679»

Replies

• bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

Watch Shallow Hal.
    They end up together in the end.
    True, but the movie is all about him accepting her even though she is fat (nevermind that he's pretty fat too). Her fatness is not presented as the norm with a completely unrelated storyline.

Also still extremely rare to see an interracial couple, unless it's all about the fact that they're interracial.

I guess couples are supposed to look related.

Meh, TV is crap.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am semi confused by your post, maybe delving into the fake world behind glass a little too much?

However, I am a little bigger than my SO of three years and have been pretty much the same weight or bigger than most people **I date..... And that's the way "uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it"....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also:

“As long as women’s natural body hair is called disgusting and inappropriate while men’s isn’t, I am a feminist.
    As long as I can’t watch an episode of a popular sitcom without having to sit through multiple sexist comments or “jokes”, I am a feminist.
    As long as women have to face the rational fear of being sexually assaulted every time they walk home past dark while men don’t, I am a feminist....
    As long as misogyny exists in any country in this world, I am a feminist.
    As long as women are being raped, then stoned to death or forced to marry their rapist, I am a feminist.
    As long as companies promote men to manager when there are women who are equally as or better qualified, because they find that men look more authoritative, I am a feminist.
    As long as women (her choice of clothes, her friendly nature, her weakness, her choice to drink alcohol) get blamed when men rape them, I am a feminist.
    As long women’s opinions on online social networks are dismissed with phrases like “tits or gtfo”, “get back to the kitchen”, “are you pms’ing?”, I am a feminist.
    As long as dressing like a woman is degrading for men and as long as men are insulted with phrases like “you throw like a woman, ”clearly implying that being like a woman is shameful, I am a feminist.
    As long as both men are women are expected to work, but taking care of children and the household are still largely considered a woman’s job, I am a feminist.
    As long as boys and girls are treated differently, expected to act differently, and surrounded by different toys and colours from the day they are born, I am a feminist.
    As long as topless women aren’t allowed in public unless they’re on the cover of a men’s magazine, I am a feminist.
    As long as women who have sex frequently are generally told they are “sluts,” “lacking self-respect,” and “lacking morals” by both men and women, while men who frequently have sex are “just being men” and it’s “natural for them,” I am a feminist.
    As long as there are places where women have to pay more for health insurance than men, I am a feminist.
    As long as men experience situations with equal gender representation as female-dominated, and don’t consider a group discussion equal unless there are significantly more men then women participants (as has been proven), I am a feminist.
    As long as there are men who think it’s their wife or girlfriend’s duty to have sex with him whenever he wants, I am a feminist.
    As long as the word feminism (“the movement aimed at equal rights for women”) has a negative connotation, I am a feminist.
    As long as misogynist people exist, I am a feminist.”
    -LE CHRYSANTHÉME: I am a Feminist.

As long as a man will go to jail for hitting a woman in self defense, I am a feminist
    As long as a man will lose his job for someone getting offended at a sex joke, I am a feminist
    As long as a man has to pick up the slack for a woman staying home because of "cramps" to go shopping, I am a feminist.
    As long as a man has to pay a cover to get in to a bar where he will pay for the woman's drinks anyway while she walks in for free, I am a feminist.
    As long as women play head games and do not confront their issues head on, I am a feminist.

I fully support equal rights and treatment of women, but I do not support the lowering of standards for them. If you want equal treatment expect to be treated like I would treat any other man. If you don't like that then I will treat you with the "special" treatment that has been accepted.

Oh cry a little. I don't expect special treatment from you or anyone else.

Relax just having a little fun
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    What about Sheldon and Amy on Big Bang? She's not model skinny like Penny. He's definitely a skinny guy.

Totally love the show.

Amy and Penny are actually about the same size if you see them in person. Amy has to wear clothes that are 2 sizes too big to give the frumpy look they wanted for her character.

159165_1329449174458_full.jpg
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Also:

“As long as women’s natural body hair is called disgusting and inappropriate while men’s isn’t, I am a feminist.
    As long as I can’t watch an episode of a popular sitcom without having to sit through multiple sexist comments or “jokes”, I am a feminist.
    As long as women have to face the rational fear of being sexually assaulted every time they walk home past dark while men don’t, I am a feminist....
    As long as misogyny exists in any country in this world, I am a feminist.
    As long as women are being raped, then stoned to death or forced to marry their rapist, I am a feminist.
    As long as companies promote men to manager when there are women who are equally as or better qualified, because they find that men look more authoritative, I am a feminist.
    As long as women (her choice of clothes, her friendly nature, her weakness, her choice to drink alcohol) get blamed when men rape them, I am a feminist.
    As long women’s opinions on online social networks are dismissed with phrases like “tits or gtfo”, “get back to the kitchen”, “are you pms’ing?”, I am a feminist.
    As long as dressing like a woman is degrading for men and as long as men are insulted with phrases like “you throw like a woman, ”clearly implying that being like a woman is shameful, I am a feminist.
    As long as both men are women are expected to work, but taking care of children and the household are still largely considered a woman’s job, I am a feminist.
    As long as boys and girls are treated differently, expected to act differently, and surrounded by different toys and colours from the day they are born, I am a feminist.
    As long as topless women aren’t allowed in public unless they’re on the cover of a men’s magazine, I am a feminist.
    As long as women who have sex frequently are generally told they are “sluts,” “lacking self-respect,” and “lacking morals” by both men and women, while men who frequently have sex are “just being men” and it’s “natural for them,” I am a feminist.
    As long as there are places where women have to pay more for health insurance than men, I am a feminist.
    As long as men experience situations with equal gender representation as female-dominated, and don’t consider a group discussion equal unless there are significantly more men then women participants (as has been proven), I am a feminist.
    As long as there are men who think it’s their wife or girlfriend’s duty to have sex with him whenever he wants, I am a feminist.
    As long as the word feminism (“the movement aimed at equal rights for women”) has a negative connotation, I am a feminist.
    As long as misogynist people exist, I am a feminist.”
    -LE CHRYSANTHÉME: I am a Feminist.

As long as a man will go to jail for hitting a woman in self defense, I am a feminist
    As long as a man will lose his job for someone getting offended at a sex joke, I am a feminist
    As long as a man has to pick up the slack for a woman staying home because of "cramps" to go shopping, I am a feminist.
    As long as a man has to pay a cover to get in to a bar where he will pay for the woman's drinks anyway while she walks in for free, I am a feminist.
    As long as women play head games and do not confront their issues head on, I am a feminist.

I fully support equal rights and treatment of women, but I do not support the lowering of standards for them. If you want equal treatment expect to be treated like I would treat any other man. If you don't like that then I will treat you with the "special" treatment that has been accepted.

Oh cry a little. I don't expect special treatment from you or anyone else.

Relax just having a little fun

Actually upon reviewing your previous post, at least one of them is actually a valid equality concern on the same level as the ones from the first quote.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

So do you want to grow out your underarm hair without ridicule or have guys shave theirs as well?
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

So do you want to grow out your underarm hair without ridicule or have guys shave theirs as well?

When I looked at your pictures, the one picture looked like you had a hairy armpit. Then I saw the other picture and realized it was a tattoo of an apple? Definitely a first for me.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My ex boyfriend and I were both overweight. I went on a diet, he didnt. After I reached my goal weight, I dumped him and upgraded. Am I a feminist??
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

When I looked at your pictures, the one picture looked like you had a hairy armpit. Then I saw the other picture and realized it was a tattoo of an apple? Definitely a first for me.

I think the point is more like men and women can shave or not as they please without ridicule, or he/she can tattoo hairy places for that matter. Put another way I don't really care if you think I should shave or not.
  • Arazante
    Arazante Posts: 12
    Options
    Why would it be bad to be a feminist, anyway? Obviously feminist analysis allows you to see sexist bull**** and call it out- people need to be less afraid of the "F word".
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.
    I'd take it a step further: gorgeous, thin, smart women, with fat, and seemingly dumb men seems to be the new norm. The days of Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Eight is Enough... are over. Men are portrayed as lovable, chubby goofs in many shows now.

PS: I AM a feminist.

I have despised how a lot of men are portrayed in TV sitcoms. The most egregious depiction being Tim Allen in "Home Improvement."

I agree. In defense of men, not all men burn the house down when trying to cook, diaper the wrong end of a baby or spit and stammer when trying to talk to their young daughters. Men get a bad wrap in sitcoms as well.

I think sitcoms are stupid, in general. But I have to disagree about the Tim Allen character. I know *way* too many men that are "Tim Allen" to a tee. :laugh:
    In general, the "average white guy" on TV and in movies is the default doofus because he's the one whose portrayal as less than smart, less than fit, or otherwise less than ideal is the least likely to draw the ire of any particular group. Portrayal of almost any other group - be it gender, ethnicity, sexuality, or what have you - in a less than flattering way often winds up with the producers/networks dealing with protests from those defending the honor of the group that was 'besmirched.' [/tangent]
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options

In general, the "average white guy" on TV and in movies is the default doofus because he's the one whose portrayal as less than smart, less than fit, or otherwise less than ideal is the least likely to draw the ire of any particular group. Portrayal of almost any other group - be it gender, ethnicity, sexuality, or what have you - in a less than flattering way often winds up with the producers/networks dealing with protests from those defending the honor of the group that was 'besmirched.' [/tangent]

Actually, I think it's more along the lines that it's the white guys who get to be funny and the star of the show. You find people of other ethnicities complaining when their character's humor is based on stereotypes. Bill Cosby was often a doofus father, but no one complained because the humor wasn't making fun of blacks; the humor was making fun of his confusion as a husband and father.

White guys are presented as every type of starring character under the sun on TV; other ethnicities, not so much.

If you're not portraying minority groups as ANYTHING but then you have a total doofus who is also some sort of stereotype, of course they're going to be upset. Duh.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • Love_Blasphemy
    Options
    People put too much stock into what tv and magazines say...this is because nobody can think for themselves. Who gives a s*it what they portray on tv its all fiction.
  • Amandastan
    Options
    Why are you not a feminist? All females should be if they think of their sex as actually being human .That's what feminism is. recognizing females as equal humans as males.