Milk

Options

Replies

• iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

Humans were not designed to drink cows milk, baby cows were.

THis ^^
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1% or 2%...What's your opinion and why? Growing up we always drank Fat Free, now I drink 1% most of the time and sometimes 2%.

I don't like milk much but when/if I do drink it I go for fat-free or 1% because I believe dairy fat is not good fat.
  • LittleFish79
    Options
    Now that's funny. . . doing or not doing what animals do. :laugh:

I was raised drinking skim milk - now called fat free. Others tend to be too *rich* for my tastes.
    Altho, an occasional glass of egg nog. . . sinful.

LF
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I remember hearing on Oprah that cow's milk is designed for calves to go from 60 to 600 or more lbs in 6 months. Then it struck me that why on earth are humans drinking it when calves don't their entire lives? Makes no sense but economically, sure.

We should all be drinking hamster milk, then. They're tiny. That'll make the weight fall right off!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

????? So, you think humans were "designed" to drink almond milk?
  • Bolluxed
    Bolluxed Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The one time people ignore my dumb *kitten*. I'll rehash.

Anti Milk Side: We weren't "designed" to drink milk! (Correct, since human beings back 10s of thousands of years ago lost the enzyme required to digest milk as they aged, and 70% of people worldwide still lose that enzyme as they age)

Pro Milk Side: Who cares? We've been doing it for thousands of years. (True. American and European people have EVOLVED to be able to process milk properly. Lactase-persistence is found in 90% of European descended peoples)

If you're white, you can probably drink milk with zero problems, so go for it.

If you're not, you have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance, so it's more likely to cause you problems.

The. End.

WTF lol I am probably one of the darkest in here ATM and I drink milk easily. No issues, Never had any. Noone in my family or extended family have issues either. We are all dark.

He said non-whites are less likely to be able to drink milk without issues. That's true. That doesn't mean all non-whites have issues with milk.

*White ppl can drink milk no problems...........

If you're not, you have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance, so it's more likely to cause you problems.
    *Non white ppl are probably LI so milk will cause problems

...........................................................................................................

I could be wrong, but I think he was saying white people can drink white milk, chocolate people can drink chocolate milk and this guy can drink anything he wants.

JapaneseSumo.jpg
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing on Oprah that cow's milk is designed for calves to go from 60 to 600 or more lbs in 6 months. Then it struck me that why on earth are humans drinking it when calves don't their entire lives? Makes no sense but economically, sure.

We should all be drinking hamster milk, then. They're tiny. That'll make the weight fall right off!

Hey now! Don't be dissin' Oprah! After all, she's the genius that gave us Dr. Oz!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    We always had whole milk growing up, but I use 2%, because I prefer the consistency.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

almonds weren't designed to be turned into milk.

i dont get your point.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

i dont get your point.

Come on, Neanderthals def milked almonds. There is ample proof for my point in the fossil record.

This thread sure got derailed from the original question.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The one time people ignore my dumb *kitten*. I'll rehash.

Anti Milk Side: We weren't "designed" to drink milk! (Correct, since human beings back 10s of thousands of years ago lost the enzyme required to digest milk as they aged, and 70% of people worldwide still lose that enzyme as they age)

Pro Milk Side: Who cares? We've been doing it for thousands of years. (True. American and European people have EVOLVED to be able to process milk properly. Lactase-persistence is found in 90% of European descended peoples)

The. End.

WTF lol I am probably one of the darkest in here ATM and I drink milk easily. No issues, Never had any. Noone in my family or extended family have issues either. We are all dark.

He said non-whites are less likely to be able to drink milk without issues. That's true. That doesn't mean all non-whites have issues with milk.

*White ppl can drink milk no problems...........

*Non white ppl are probably LI so milk will cause problems

...........................................................................................................

I could be wrong, but I think he was saying white people can drink white milk, chocolate people can drink chocolate milk and this guy can drink anything he wants.

JapaneseSumo.jpg

:laugh: Um...that dude can have his white milk ALL my chocolate milk and every cow and hersheys plants across the world as long as he does not sit on me! :laugh:
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    2%. I've heard skim milk is more fattening than other milks. Even though, the fat is removed from skim, it leaves mostly sugars so it's more fattening.

No it is not. Total calories are less.

Not talking about total calories. Talking about sugar. Once you remove the fat from the milk, yes the calories are less, but what is left?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    2%. I've heard skim milk is more fattening than other milks. Even though, the fat is removed from skim, it leaves mostly sugars so it's more fattening.

Not talking about total calories. Talking about sugar. Once you remove the fat from the milk, yes the calories are less, but what is left?

Calories determine weight loss or gain. Not sugar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am not understanding your point.

1 cup skim has less calories than 1 cup 2% - so how is skim 'more fattening'?
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Your little avatar shows you to be very dark in color....arent you lactose intolerant? :laugh: *hides so Coach reddy cant get me*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    This is a very thought provoking thread. This thought just came to mind.
    Milk is a complete meal...for a baby. Why as humans are we drinking it in addition to eating full solid meals too?
    It seems like doubling up for no reason. Like drinking Ensure or other common tube feedings.
    A contributor to obesity? Likely.

Babies need lots of nutrition to grow and develop, and milk covers those bases.
    So for an athlete who wants to grow, and needs ample nutrition, why wouldn't milk be a good addition to their diet.

Everytime I've seen someone arguing against people drinking milk, while saying it isn't natural, no other animals do it, etc they are:
    A. A vegan who has been loaded with a bunch of propaganda
    B. A crosffitter who buys into some paleo nonsense

Very true about athletes but most of us are not athletes. As we get up a little in age, many people have families and have different goals. I'm in this group. Now I just want to be presentable. :)

I am not exactly young, nor do I consider myself to be an athlete. I still need a certain amount of protein, and going back to the whole...it tastes good and does not have any harmful effects on me. In fact I find it very beneficial.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Very true about athletes but most of us are not athletes. As we get up a little in age, many people have families and have different goals. I'm in this group. Now I just want to be presentable. :)

I'm sorry. I guess what I should have said, anyone who wants to be bigger/stronger.
    Milk is a super affordable source of protein/fats/carbs and works great for people who aren't trying to be skinny, and well it's worked well for me even when cutting.

Obesity and milk consumption aren't linked as suggested. The increase in consumption of corn based products correlates well with the increase in obesity in America.

So does the increase in fats...no one food groups can be blamed.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Calories determine weight loss or gain. Not sugar.

This
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

i dont get your point.
    this

We also werent meant to live 60+

So does that mean you should let yourself die if you get sick past 60?
    people have dumb arguments.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Skim, because it tastes better to me. Unless im mixing it with something else like tea, then 1% tastes good