Milk

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Whatever the circumstances, the person who's quote I bolded presented a false argument that is often presented in these milk threads. To quote "No animal but human drinks milk from another species.. They didn't say except under some rare condition or unless humans provide. They didn't qualify their false statement in any way.

Truf
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk when I realized I was drinking the secretions of an animal outside of my own species. It got a little weird then.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk. Dark almond milk mixed with coconut milk is incredibly good.

Are you a vegetarian? If not, is it weirder drinking their nutritive secretions, or cutting them up into little pieces and eating their insides?

Nope, not a vegetarian. I prefer them for their higher nutritive values, and the fact that I'm not drinking something that was designed for calves to drink. No animal but human drinks milk from another species. It just seems weird to me.

That's just plan nonsense and not true. Dogs, cats and most other mammals will drink the milk of another species if it is made available. Drink what you want but don't insult people's intelligence with pretzel logic.

but those species don't go seeking it out voluntarily in the wild. we're talking about very extreme circumstances OR circumstances propagated by us.

i'm not sure it's a great reason to not drink milk... since your body has evolved through nature to be able to properly digest another species' milk... but it's fallaceous to say that animals willingly and purposefully seek out nourishment in the form of milk from other species unless they've been conditioned in some way or another to do so
    The last example of this is a wild lion adopting an antelope and nursing it. Voluntarily sought out in the wild.....
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-10-incredible-stories-interspecies-nursing

in an extreme circumstance. like i said.

Whatever the circumstances, the person who's quote I bolded presented a false argument that is often presented in these milk threads. To quote "No animal but human drinks milk from another species.. They didn't say except under some rare condition or unless humans provide. They didn't qualify their false statement in any way.

I believe he went from "no animal" to "only in extreme circumstances/when conditioned" to "when made available through human action."

yyyyeahhh two different people cutie. nice try though. :flowerforyou:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Raw, buy it straight from the farmer.
  • realmilk4me
    realmilk4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Full fat, raw, and grass fed -- I'm fortunate to know someone who raises dairy cows.

Agreed!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    "no animal drinks milk from another species beyond infancy"

My MIL says this all the time!!! Umm... they dont' cook their meat either so start eating your steaks raw. It's not my fault we were blessed with opposable thumbs and abstract thought LOL

If you serve milk to an animal, they WILL drink it and probably like it too! So the only reason they don't is because they can't milk one LOL
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

My MIL says this all the time!!! Umm... they dont' cook their meat either so start eating your steaks raw. It's not my fault we were blessed with opposable thumbs and abstract thought LOL

If you serve milk to an animal, they WILL drink it and probably like it too! So the only reason they don't is because they can't milk one LOL

:laugh: Love when ppl counter a stupid remark with something that totally debunks it :drinker:
    I practically do eat my steaks raw but I sure as hell drink milk. I would drink milk even if it came from chicken. Leave cows alone they makes us full and keep us less thirsty
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

:laugh: Love when ppl counter a stupid remark with something that totally debunks it :drinker:
    I practically do eat my steaks raw but I sure as hell drink milk. I would drink milk even if it came from chicken. Leave cows alone they makes us full and keep us less thirsty

Yeah, my reply to that is that animals are not as smart as they are. If my dog had the brains to figure out a way to milk a cow, she totally would.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yeah, my reply to that is that animals are not as smart as they are. If my dog had the brains to figure out a way to milk a cow, she totally would.

well yeah, and because they're dumb, they'll drink anything you put in front of them, even if it causes them anything from simple stomach discomfort to vomitting and diarrhea.

grown mammals are generally lactose intolerant. this is a fact.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

well yeah, and because they're dumb, they'll drink anything you put in front of them, even if it causes them anything from simple stomach discomfort to vomitting and diarrhea.

I wont argue with you Coach I may need you in the future for advice you are not so kooky about :heart:
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond Milk! only 30 calories a glass and more calcium than milk! yum... (although you CANNOT make oatmeal with it, strangely enough it doesn't absorb...)

But it is good on cereal and whatever else you want to use it for.

Other than that... I buy 1% because that is what my boyfriend likes and they all taste the same to me! ( I grew up drinking 2%)
  • netner
    netner Posts: 8
    Options
    I LOVE milk, but recently looked at the calories and was shocked, to say the least. I drink 2% reduced fat and 1 c. is 130 calories! Not worth the calories to me since a drinking glass is about 2 1/2 cups.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Almond milk! I think it tastes better, lower in fat/calories, and its higher in calcium. Unsweetened almond milk, FTW! :laugh:

P.S Unsweetened almond milk is 30 calories a glass :bigsmile:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I wont argue with you Coach I may need you in the future for advice you are not so kooky about :heart:

it's kooky to relay facts about lactose intolerance but say that as long as you're NOT lactose intolerant milk is absolutely fine?

huh.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Whole, raw milk or nothing! Okay, goat milk is yummy too, but WHOLE MILK FOR THE WIN!
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    used to drink skim, but switched over to unsweetened almond milk....and I'm never going back.

What are the advantages of unsweetened almond milk? It comes up a lot in fitness friendly recipies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    used to drink skim, but switched over to unsweetened almond milk....and I'm never going back.

What are the advantages of unsweetened almond milk? It comes up a lot in fitness friendly recipies.

Only 30 calories per cup. It's just almond flavored water with calcium added. Very little other nutrition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    it's kooky to relay facts about lactose intolerance but say that as long as you're NOT lactose intolerant milk is absolutely fine?

huh.

Sorry Coach, but I find this quite ironic and kind of funny. In the thread where I actually agree with the fundamental point you are making (stated above) you are getting called kooky. You must be scratching your head.
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options

Only 30 calories per cup. It's just almond flavored water with calcium added. Very little other nutrition.

Then what is the point in drinking it? Milk has so much more good stuff for you.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    FOR ME ITS NONE I HATE IT AND ITS A WASTE OF CALORIES
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    FOR ME ITS NONE I HATE IT AND ITS A WASTE OF CALORIES
    Goodness.