Are you a food nazi?

Options

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Often I check out some of the #cleaneating or #healthyeating hashtags on Instagram and think HOLY MOLY that breakfast must be 900 or more calories! I wonder if that "health conscious" person even realises how big their portion size is?!

Quite possibly they do. Just because it's "healthy" and "clean" doesn't mean it has to be low calorie.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If people set up Instagram accounts showcasing their entire food intake meal by meal then they are kind of inviting people to form an opinion about their diet choices.

I would never write a comment directly to the person though, that would be a step too far for me. But I do think it in my head.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Often I check out some of the #cleaneating or #healthyeating hashtags on Instagram and think HOLY MOLY that breakfast must be 900 or more calories! I wonder if that "health conscious" person even realises how big their portion size is?!

Quite possibly they do. Just because it's "healthy" and "clean" doesn't mean it has to be low calorie.

Maybe I should have stated the specific example I had in mind was from someone who I know is trying to lose their last 10lb and as we have the same stats (age, weight, similar workout regime) then I know she is not in a deficit as she thinks she is.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    lol i always count cals of what people are eating in my head, it's fun. before being obsessive i never realized my bf eats like over 1000 cals in a sitting. idk how he does it, he's nowhere near overweight and is pretty lean and average weight. oh boy will that catch up to him. he ate a pint of graters ice cream one night, that alone is 1200 cals! :noway:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Maybe I should have stated the specific example I had in mind was from someone who I know is trying to lose their last 10lb and as we have the same stats (age, weight, similar workout regime) then I know she is not in a deficit as she thinks she is.

Because you track every single movement that she makes?
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have better things to do with my time. I don't even usually notice what others are ordering!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When my mom in law and I go to the store and she puts a candy bar down on the conveyor I don't hesitate, I put that baby right back on the shelf where it belongs. Am I a food Nazi? Hmmm... yes! LOL Might I add we are losing weight and working out together :)
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    -Has an M&M as her profile pic. BAD.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How do you know that 900 calories is not a perfectly appropriately sized breakfast for that person?

When you follow their feed and know they weigh 130 and are desperately trying to lose their last 10lb and post pictures of all their meals for the day.

Not the same as the OPs example at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If people set up Instagram accounts showcasing their entire food intake meal by meal then they are kind of inviting people to form an opinion about their diet choices.

I would never write a comment directly to the person though, that would be a step too far for me. But I do think it in my head.

You would *love* my diary then :wink:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Okay, how about this?

Our school systems are taking soda, chips and candy out of vending machines and replacing them with milk, fruit juices etc. in response to the obesity epidemic among American school children.
    Are the schools being judgmental.
    Are they implying that soda, chips and candy are "bad" for these children?
    Can/should we draw this conclusion from their actions?
  • ziggiezambi
    ziggiezambi Posts: 253
    Options
    Haha I'm the opposite I give away the food I can't eat due to my calorie limits. xD
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Okay, how about this?

Our school systems are taking soda, chips and candy out of vending machines and replacing them with milk, fruit juices etc. in response to the obesity epidemic among American school children.

The schools aren't judging the children. They're providing healthier food choices. Junk food isn't "bad", no moral judgment, just less healthy than fruit and water for growing minds and bodies. It's like, should a school show episodes of the Simpsons in lieu of math class? No. But that doesn't make the Simpsons "bad", just way less useful and effective than math class when it comes to educating children. Feeding children fruit and veggies is simply more effective when it comes providing them with nutrients than chips and Pepsi.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    OP sounds like Bane from Bane Outtakes.
  • minivegrunner
    Options
    this might not be relevent, but I love bran-mufins. lol
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The other day my coworker was taking Subway orders and one of the girls whose trying to slim down asked for 4 cookies... I blurred out "You KNOW they're 220 calories A PIECE right?"

She didn't care.
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    How about this instead:
    I've become MY OWN food nazi

"Egg white omelette" -- good FOR ME
    "Muffin" -- bad FOR ME
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it FOR ME
    "Side of fruit" -- good FOR ME

I would say that is a better way to express it. But the other way certainly got everyone talking.

I myself do not really look at what others are eating, but I have not got to the point of being able to see the full nutritional value of food. I'm starting to though ever since I started logging my food choices. For example, before I started doing this it never occured to me that a Walmart Butter tart Muffin (99 gr) would cost me 360 calories. The nutritional value of this being very limited.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Okay, how about this?

All bets are off when it comes to children. Children's brains are not sufficiently developed to make choices with a view to long term health. They will invariably go for the high calorie density foods every time, rather than eating 20% high calorie density, 80% low calorie density (or whatever split you'd like to pluck from thin air as the 'correct' one). High calorie density foods should be carefully rationed for all but the most active children. I still don't believe that candy is inherently bad for children, unless they have *too much* candy. I am proud father to a very healthy six year old who eats candy in small amounts - moderated by me.

An adult, on the other hand, should be able to say "I'll just have one bag of chips since I've been working hard all morning and I'm only having a salad for lunch", or "I should skip the chips/soda because I've been sat on my backside all day". Not all adults do this, of course, which is why most of us are here, but in a free country it's our choice to make and our consequences to deal with.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else read this post in the voice of the green m&m?

http://youtu.be/ygAEKZbfJrY
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    yes.
    i think there's a problem here - becoming too obsessed with calorie counting can never be too good for anybody.

don't think of food as an intake of numbers.
    just enjoy what you eat in moderation and everything will be ok.