For the love of god women EAT!!!

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I know one thing that use to bother me was going over macros and no matter what you do your going to go over at least one
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! That is so funny. I remember the first day I joined MFP and was "dieting" I ate I think 600 calories and was like well I'm not hungry so I guess that's fine..

It's just funny looking back at how far I've come. I have those days where I'm at or below that 1200 mark. Mainly because I'm either doing a school event or at school and don't have time to eat but yeah I usually eat between 1300 - 1600 sometimes more.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that people can't or won't eat more than 1200. It's crazy. I can understand being busy and don't have time to focus on eating but other than that it's like your doing it on purpose because you want to drop weight fast. Doesn't late for long though.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    the whole argument that you didnt have a problem eating over 1200 cal a day before just doesnt work

i wasnt eating the same before i wasnt vegan dinners of takeaways could put me over by 2000 snack well constant munchin on crap full of calls

now im snacking on fruit my dinners are mostly plant based ... its a bit different same quantity of food just better choices less cals
  • innerninja3035
    innerninja3035 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, when I "couldn't" eat at or above 1200, I was really just trying to convince myself and others of that I couldn't eat because I hoped that this would keep me "naturally" skinny.

I have now started to look for more life balance, focusing on a healthy lifestyle. I now am inclined to believe that no undereating equals no binging for me anyways. A handful of nuts for example can be healthy and keep me feeling full and energetic, and then I am not scrambling around the kitchen later for some quick fix food in a complete mental fog after starving for days.

I have these boards to thank, as even lots of research didn't teach me as much as just learning from other people's experiences. Thank you MFP.

I should add that I do believe everyone is different, and this is just my story.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to eat....which is why I was overweight in the first place, lol.

I'm a petite woman, 5' 2.5", and I have no problems with the MFP settings. When I first started, I put my settings to "lightly active" and my weight loss goal to 1 lb a week, and got 1350 cal a day, PLUS I eat back my exercise calories, so I have about 1500-1700 on days I work out. I do Zumba about 3 or 4 times a week, and have lost 17 lbs so far, I feel fantastic, friends tell me how great I look.

Now that I am about halfway to goal, my cals are 1280, and I still eat back my calories when I work out. So its not MFP's settings, its the info a person puts in. I'm very happy with a slow weight loss, I can handle a reasonable cal restriction, and still enjoy good food. Its all about balance.

I think some people put the settings too aggressively, and find it hard to meet. That's why I put my settings where I can meet them and still lose weight. I love good food too much, and I want something that I can maintain long term.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The problem is that... 1) how do people even get 1200? When i set up my account, i was clueless too, and it gave me 1500. You know, when you choose your option of weight loss, the 'recommended' thing next to 1lb a week? Why in the world do people not follow that? I've lost 31lbs and it still gives me 1400. I see people who have 50lbs to lose (like me now) say MFP told them 1200 and I just don't get it.

2) This site is called myFITNESSpal. Of course it will give you a low value, you're supposed to exercise and eat that back! How can it be more explicit? it adds your exercise to your daily total. I don't understand why people don't get that. If you eat your calories back, like you're supposed to, you'll eat a more reasonable amount.

But I agree that if you really eat healthy, even 1200 can be hard to reach. And when you start a diet, you don't always have the willpower to just eat one tablespoon of peanut butter to get your extra 200 calories or whatnot. Heck I started low too... most days I ate close to 1200. Then I started working out, got more comfortable eating more, and I increased my calories a little. And now I'm comfortable eating one piece of chocolate or one cookie to reach my goal, so I guess it's even better.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My porridge shake has over 1k calories in it and I usually down it in one go straight after the gym then go on to eat more straight after it, the fact people struggle to eat a simple 1200 calories amazes me, I think most people under calculate what they eat aswell e.g instead of weighing it out guess it's 1/2 to 1/3 of what it actually is/
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as all the 5'2 and under threads and no one feels they are able to eat more than 1200 just bc they are short.

Maybe those women aren't planning to train the way that you do. Just a thought.

Do you even know how much I train? No.

I do know that many put themselves at sedentary to which 95% of the time they are not. Also many feel they need to lose fast instead of having patience.

I read your profile, so, taking you at your word, I know that you train more than most women do. A lot of people ARE sedentary.

Your view of sedentary and mine differ. My view is my patients that lay in bed in a coma strapped to tube feeding that we feed 1200 cals a day. People that get their butt of the couch and do something are not.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    aaaand breathe....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    you must be new here

:laugh:

But seriously, I never have problems getting all my cals in. If I ever fall short I know that a handful of nuts will get me to goal no problem.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    aaaand breathe....

I ate some chocolate. I am completely calm now! :laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The problem is that... 1) how do people even get 1200? When i set up my account, i was clueless too, and it gave me 1500. You know, when you choose your option of weight loss, the 'recommended' thing next to 1lb a week? Why in the world do people not follow that? I've lost 31lbs and it still gives me 1400. I see people who have 50lbs to lose (like me now) say MFP told them 1200 and I just don't get it.

2) This site is called myFITNESSpal. Of course it will give you a low value, you're supposed to exercise and eat that back! How can it be more explicit? it adds your exercise to your daily total. I don't understand why people don't get that. If you eat your calories back, like you're supposed to, you'll eat a more reasonable amount.

1) They end up with 1200 because they are trying to lose too much too quickly. They set their goal to lose 2 pounds a week when most people are recommended to lose 1 pound a week. MFP will not go lower than 1200 or I'm sure people would be set up to lose 3, 4, or 15 pounds a week if they could. People think it's a race. Slow and steady is healthier and more sustainable.

2) Yes, people are dumb. MFP is very easy to use if you follow the instructions. It's set up for success if you use it as intended. However, not everybody here is using MFP as intended. There are all sorts of people who use MFP in a variety of other ways that suit their purposes and they also have great success. But they KNOW what they are doing.

I think the problem comes when people either misuse MFP because they don't understand it (some people seem to have a total inability to comprehend the concept of exercise calories), or they try to "do their own thing" but they don't really understand whatever the thing is that they're doing. That's where you get the people saying, "I'm doing everything right but I'm gaining anyway", etc.
  • viasophia13
    viasophia13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't let myself go over 1200 on weekdays, but on weekends I let myself slide a little. according to a few quizzes I've taken through some rehab centers online,I teeter on the edge of being anorexic. I basically have mild EDNOS, so eating more than 1200 causes a bit of anxiety for me. I'm trying my hardest not to spiral downwards, but I vary day to day. Like now, since I went crazy with food but I had skating practice this morning, I have about 170 calories still to eat, even though I've eaten more than 1200 today. I think I'm going running in about a half hour, considering I just ate about a half hour ago and I can still feel food in my stomach.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Why eat what rhymes with cheese... I go strait for the jugular ;) Blue cheese and manchego here I come!
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    After I cut all of the crap and liquid calories out of my diet, I had a very hard time breaking the 1200 calorie mark. I was stuffed to the gills. Now that I've integrated protien powder and peanut butter into my diet, and added back in some of my liquid calories, it is much easier.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I don't let myself go over 1200 on weekdays, but on weekends I let myself slide a little. according to a few quizzes I've taken through some rehab centers online,I teeter on the edge of being anorexic. I basically have EDNOS, so eating more than 1200 causes a lot of anxiety for me. I'm trying my hardest not to spiral downwards, but I vary day to day. Like now, since I went crazy with food but I had skating practice this morning, I have about 170 calories still to eat, even though I've eaten more than 1200 today. I think I'm going running in about a half hour, considering I just ate about a half hour ago and I can still feel food in my stomach. So there are some like me, who have this problem.

But surely if you new this was hurting your body you would stop?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that too many people, and women in particular, tend to label food "good" or "bad" largely based on calorie density...i.e. high calorie = bad; low calorie = good. Also, negative relationship with fat...too many people think it's fat that makes you fat so they go no fat/low fat everything and don't get enough fats. They avoid nutritious, "healthy" foods like eggs and only eat the whites...don't eat nuts or nut butters 'cuz...they're fat (even though it's good heart healthy fats)...they eat their veggies raw or steam them rather than roasting them in some olive oil once in awhile. I think it really comes down to having a bad relationship with food and a general lack of knowledge when it comes to nutrition and what their bodies really need. Also, too many people think the MFP calorie goal is maintenance or something...which is astonishing to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    the whole argument that you didnt have a problem eating over 1200 cal a day before just doesnt work

i wasnt eating the same before i wasnt vegan dinners of takeaways could put me over by 2000 snack well constant munchin on crap full of calls

now im snacking on fruit my dinners are mostly plant based ... its a bit different same quantity of food just better choices less cals

There are very nutritious, "healthy" foods that are calorie dense. You're probably not getting enough fat in your diet...fat is very important.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

There are very nutritious, "healthy" foods that are calorie dense. You're probably not getting enough fat in your diet...fat is very important.

I get to much lol, why I always go over my calories :)
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

Just eat. Why is it so hard? Genuine question. I have no problems getting to 1600 calories in oneday, nay I could do it in one sitting if I let myself.

Because I'm not always hungry, and when I am I know when it's time to stop :smile: