what's too much protein when bulking?

18910111214»

Replies

• El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Unless someone wants to go read what I said I'm not going to partake in this any longer. I was telling him what happens if you consume too much protein. You can continue without me cause I'm not even talking about the same thing as you and it's getting rather annoying to keep saying so. Carry on.

But you said protein can't be stored.

It can be stored in muscles and other lean tissues.

Would you like me to mail you a nutrition book?

Explain how this happens... greatly interested in hearing your reply.

For starters I would need her address. I would probably choose Fed Ex or UPS ground and after packaging and labeling the book, I would drop it off at said business where, presumably, it would get entered into their computer system and a carrier would pick it up and deliver it to the destination.

Lmfao!!!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    so the studies that came up with 0.82 max per lb totsl bodyweight were based off a method they admitted in the article was inaccurate, and they tested for only 2 weeks when nitrogen balance takes up to 14 days to change anyway.. so those studies are nearly useless?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    .82per lb is close enough to 1 gram per LBM.
    Yes. Yes it is.

Yep, especially when most of the studies cited use nitrogen balance as a proxy for muscle protein synthesis (and/or are of short duration) which underestimates protein requirements - kind of makes sense to round up a bit.

Actually, from the intro paragraphs,

" If the studies were based on unreliable methods such as nitrogen balance, a marker of lean body mass changes, I only included them if they controlled for sweating and dietary adaptation periods."

Dietary adaptation period for protein/nitrogen balance seems to be 10 to 14 days. Studies of 1-3 weeks that don't take that into consideration should be tossed out.

Is that what you did? I'm not being snide, just trying to understand here without going into each study.

That's what the author of the reference page did when picking the studies.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to stick with a minimum protein intake of 1g/LBM...

...because I'd rather be a little over than a little under...

...and protein is delicious.

(ETA: Well, that, and the recently popular claim that excess protein calories can't be stored as fat, so....bonus, I guess.)
    That's my thinking.

Keep it simple.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    .82per lb is close enough to 1 gram per LBM.
    Yes. Yes it is.

Yep, especially when most of the studies cited use nitrogen balance as a proxy for muscle protein synthesis (and/or are of short duration) which underestimates protein requirements - kind of makes sense to round up a bit.

Actually, from the intro paragraphs,

" If the studies were based on unreliable methods such as nitrogen balance, a marker of lean body mass changes, I only included them if they controlled for sweating and dietary adaptation periods."

Dietary adaptation period for protein/nitrogen balance seems to be 10 to 14 days. Studies of 1-3 weeks that don't take that into consideration should be tossed out.

Is that what you did? I'm not being snide, just trying to understand here without going into each study.

That's what the author of the reference page did when picking the studies.

Ok, I need to look at them more closely.
    I do have issues with the conclusions drawn - for example - in the first study, he shows the neg effects of low protein in total body protein synthesis in a very short period of time and the measured parameter being nitrogen balance not actual muscle mass - also this is not for individuals training in a deficit. So the only conclusion to be drawn is don't do low protein.

You and others might find this interesting: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Fulltext/2012/10000/Protein_Requirements_for_Strength_Training.14.aspx
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    This thread needs to die. The op was asking how much is too much and not how much is enough. A lot of people are looking up data to support their claim, which has merit but as we can see there is no concrete evidence on how much is enough and how much is too much.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Pu, you deleted me in the last protein thread because Alan or I were going to steal your identity with your email address. Aragon is an extremely busy guy and was doing me a favor when he was willing to email you to discuss this a month ago. All you did was miss a great opportunity and make sidesteel laugh for 2 days straight. Just stop.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    This thread needs to die. The op was asking how much is too much and not how much is enough. A lot of people are looking up data to support their claim, which has merit but as we can see there is no concrete evidence on how much is enough and how much is too much.

It was 50 minutes towards possible thread death...

...and then you bumped it...

...with a post that will do NOTHING to bring it any closer to its eventual death.

:indifferent:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    and now you just bumped it. lol

oh wait, I did. oops