what's too much protein when bulking?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Unless someone wants to go read what I said I'm not going to partake in this any longer. I was telling him what happens if you consume too much protein. You can continue without me cause I'm not even talking about the same thing as you and it's getting rather annoying to keep saying so. Carry on.

But you said protein can't be stored.

It can be stored in muscles and other lean tissues.

Would you like me to mail you a nutrition book?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    I have also been told that most people can't absorb much more than 30 grams of protein at a time. So the point would be that if you are taking in anymore than that at a time it will pass through. Makes you take a more balanced approach instead of trying to do it all at once.
    That's a myth that will never die. Think about it. A 250 LB bodybuilder can only absorb as much protein as a 130 LB female at one meal.

It isn't your weight that decides how much of things you can absorb. It's our digestive system. I am certified nutritionist (for animals... lol) but same idea, your kidneys/liver/pancreas/large intestine can only break down and absorb a certain amount of each thing. Your weight will not influence this. You also can't store it like a camel stores water in its hump, so it will be passed out of your system and wasted. Also, our bodies don't have a good way of getting rid of protein so it is turned into ammonia and passed through the excretory system (sweat) If you are eating too much your sweat will start to smell of ammonia. If you don't sweat your body will build up and will begin lysing calcium from your bones, and you will have a hard time with carbohydrates... which you need to fuel your workouts.

It can also cause kidney stones... this one I learned the hard way ><

Anyway, that is not a myth.
    Acorrding to what study? Dont pull your title on this because it doesnt make sense.
    I am at the same level as an ADN nurse and I will be graduating with a BSN in 6 months. My medical classes have been done and I have also taken classes over interpretation of research.

I had to study pathophysiology and the effects of impaired liver and kidney function within the body. The ammonia you are talking about is only harmful if you have a form of impaired liver function such as cirrhosis that causes encephalopathy. Protein is not wasted and is not excreted by the body as a whole. it is metabolized.

urea.gif

Maybe that is simplified... but Ammonia doesn't break up like that.

NH3 + H2O <----> NH4+ + OH-

It's also in equilibrium, meaning Ammonium(NH4+) Will go along with the ammonia(NH3). Now a new question is, "What would happen if the person had a elevated body temperature? The ammonia reaction is temperature dependent.

this is a simplified picture. dont drift from the new topic. the discussion is now about the animal nutritionist talking about how protein is not stored in the body and going back to protein timing.

she is also talking about high levels of protein in the body will casue ammonia build up.

If there were high levels of ammonia most of these people with high protein intake would be suffering from an Altered LOC, we do not see that with many of these people who ingest high amounts
  • DatMurse
    Unless someone wants to go read what I said I'm not going to partake in this any longer. I was telling him what happens if you consume too much protein. You can continue without me cause I'm not even talking about the same thing as you and it's getting rather annoying to keep saying so. Carry on.
    "Find your picture that shows what happens when you consume too much protein...."
    "OBVIOUSLY it is broken down and used as fuel, this is ABOUT EXCESS. Good god"
    "I said it can't be stored in the body"
    "Did you even read what I wrote?"

are u serious? those were your lasts posts
    Dont tell people you are a nutritionist. please dont ever pull that claim again.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

So, what does happen to excess protein then? You are saying it is excreted?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I have also been told that most people can't absorb much more than 30 grams of protein at a time. So the point would be that if you are taking in anymore than that at a time it will pass through. Makes you take a more balanced approach instead of trying to do it all at once.
    That's a myth that will never die. Think about it. A 250 LB bodybuilder can only absorb as much protein as a 130 LB female at one meal.

It isn't your weight that decides how much of things you can absorb. It's our digestive system. I am certified nutritionist (for animals... lol) but same idea, your kidneys/liver/pancreas/large intestine can only break down and absorb a certain amount of each thing. Your weight will not influence this. You also can't store it like a camel stores water in its hump, so it will be passed out of your system and wasted. Also, our bodies don't have a good way of getting rid of protein so it is turned into ammonia and passed through the excretory system (sweat) If you are eating too much your sweat will start to smell of ammonia. If you don't sweat your body will build up and will begin lysing calcium from your bones, and you will have a hard time with carbohydrates... which you need to fuel your workouts.

It can also cause kidney stones... this one I learned the hard way ><

Anyway, that is not a myth.

I'm still dumbfounded at some of the claims in this post...

...but will admit it may just be my lack of knowledge of this subject.

It is the first I have heard of excess protein consumption being "passed out of your system and wasted"...and then some really bad things happening "if you don't sweat", but since I assume almost everyone sweats, those really bad things aren't really relevant.

And despite instruction to the contrary, I'm inclined to believe the kidney stone claim is in fact a myth (for individuals with a healthy renal system). Quick search led me to this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/ but I suspect there are numerous others out there.

ETA:

Ah, I see that you've taken your ball and gone home already. 'Tis a shame as I was looking forward to completely changing my understanding of protein.

For what it's worth, I actually *did* read what you posted. I just either didn't understand it or disagreed with much of it.
  • DatMurse

So, what does happen to excess protein then? You are saying it is excreted?

she wont respond.

I cant believe it when people try to pull that crap out with ammonia etc. That was on my last exam on the effects of high circulating ammonia that is not being detoxified.

That exam was the final which I busted my *kitten* in studying, The liver function was the part of the exam I excelled in and knew what would happen if someone who high levels of circulating ammonia.

On top of all the nutritional articles we keep up with in regards to protein timing and ingestion.

cliffs on her
    protein cannot be stored - LOL
    protein turns to ammonia - no ****, but the liver gets rid of it

people dont seem to understand that anything can do damage to your body if it there is somuething not functioning properly.

potassium will kill you if your kidneys arent working fine.
    Vitamin C too if it isnt working properly
    water will kill you
    carbs will give you diabetes which will eventually kill you
    fat will give you high levels of triglycerides which will kill you
    protein will kill you cause of high levels of ammonia nad will shut down your kidneys and that will start heart failrue

Obviously I am talking about extremes and other factors but people read one thing such as
    High levels of protein in a non functioning liver will result in high levels of ammonia, altered LOC and eventually lead into a coma and death.

They take out the non functioning liver portion and assume
    HOLY **** HIGH PROTEIN WILL PUT YOU INTO A GOD DAMN COMA!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    After reading all eight pages of this topic, I feel like my brain went on a cutting and bulking cycle. Wow.
  • DatMurse
    After reading all eight pages of this topic, I feel like my brain went on a cutting and bulking cycle. Wow.

simplicity is always the best route to go, but spreading stupidity is where my jimmies gets rustled
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    im bulking with 35% protein 40% carbs 25% fats

Those are the ratios I use too.
  • DatMurse
    she deactivated her account lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    she deactivated her account lol

Wow.

I just can't imagine what could happen in the forums that would lead me to deactivate my account, no matter how clearly and publicly my wrongness may have been demonstrated. I can see me being compelled to post an "ah, good points, it looks like I misspoke when I said X" or even a "wow, I guess I really went down a dead-end with that line of reasoning, huh?" if not an outright "I guess I was wrong" (and if you dig back deep enough into my posting history, can probably find several examples)...but not a deactivation...

...but I've noticed quite a difference in how some members' approach logical reasoning and debate.

*shrug*
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Man this thread got out of hand. Anyway, what's too much protein when bulking?

If i weigh 160-165 lbs, and i'm trying to bulk, but my calorie requirements are at 2800-3000 per day (active job), then having an intake that matched my body weight would only be around 18-20% of my calories. So would i be doing a 40% carb, 40% fat, 20% protein? if i did 1.5g per pound of body weight, it would be closer to 30% of my calories. So i'd still have 70% of my calories coming from carbs and fats. Is 30% of calories in protein enough when trying to bulk?

I'm interested in bulking up. Trying to understand how much protein is too much when bulking. Anything over 1.5gram? or is 1.5grams too much?
  • SideSteel
    Man this thread got out of hand. Anyway, what's too much protein when bulking?

If i weigh 160-165 lbs, and i'm trying to bulk, but my calorie requirements are at 2800-3000 per day (active job), then having an intake that matched my body weight would only be around 18-20% of my calories. So would i be doing a 40% carb, 40% fat, 20% protein? if i did 1.5g per pound of body weight, it would be closer to 30% of my calories. So i'd still have 70% of my calories coming from carbs and fats. Is 30% of calories in protein enough when trying to bulk?

I'm interested in bulking up. Trying to understand how much protein is too much when bulking. Anything over 1.5gram? or is 1.5grams too much?

I wouldn't worry about how the percentages break out when you're figuring protein needs based on bodyweight. If for example, you have a very high activity level, your total caloric needs will be very high relative your protein requirements so on paper you'd come up with an example similar to what you listed above, where as a percentage of total calories, protein looks low and carbs look high.

If I were in your shoes and I had a bulking requirement as you do, I would set your intake somewhere in the following range:

2800 kcals
    150-160p
    70-80f
    and that would leave somewhere in the neighborhood of
    360-390cho

This looks really carb heavy, but carbs rule.

I would probably only reduce carbs and increase protein/fats if some dietary preferences aren't being met with the above.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member

simplicity is always the best route to go, but spreading stupidity is where my jimmies gets rustled

I like jimmies

on my ice cream.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Will one of you big ol' burly menses just hold me?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I approve of this thread!
    68797531.gif
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    nerds1.jpg
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Eric Helms says in this podcast (http://traffic.libsyn.com/impruvism/How_to_Eat_and_Train_for_Fat_Loss.mp3) that most body builders tend to (should?) go between 1 an 1.4 g per lb. of lbm. I'm guessing the 1.4 would be more typical in a bulking cycle.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Simplicity like focusing on calories and letting the body partition things itself?( It's not like any of us eat 100% protein or 100% carbs or 100% fat anyways.)

Compared to
    trying to macro manage your macro nutrients, hit specific ratios, and stay at a calorie limit?

Yes simplicity is always best, we all know the more complex a system is the more likely it will fail. NOW do you see the point I was making? Below is a comment you left me...
    If you have food addictions as most over weight people do, it doesn't end well. it's too much of a big change assuming he's just starting out. That's my concern, jumping in to something that is a compete 180.
    respond back from my response or stop arguing. your knowledge is garbage and your arguements dont make any sense

Why did you ask me to reply to it if you're not going to reply to my reply?
    Of course it doesn't make sense if you're looking at the small picture. Look at the bigger picture. I don't know the condition of the OP but for example if he's severely over weight and eats tacobell and burger king all day, he listens to you guys saying "I am going to eat 1.5g of protein per body weight." How long will that last? A month at best... When you radically make changes more than likely they won't last. That's why i told him to make small gradual changes... Hopefully now you have seen the light.

But you can see from the OP that he isn't overweight. It's been stated up thread. And he's trying to bulk. Something you don't seem to wish to understand - look at his ticker. Look at his question. He's trying to gain weight - NOT severely overweight. Hello? Is this thing on?
  • SideSteel

But you said protein can't be stored.

It can be stored in muscles and other lean tissues.

Would you like me to mail you a nutrition book?

Explain how this happens... greatly interested in hearing your reply.

For starters I would need her address. I would probably choose Fed Ex or UPS ground and after packaging and labeling the book, I would drop it off at said business where, presumably, it would get entered into their computer system and a carrier would pick it up and deliver it to the destination.