what's too much protein when bulking?

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member

Simplicity like focusing on calories and letting the body partition things itself?( It's not like any of us eat 100% protein or 100% carbs or 100% fat anyways.)

Compared to
    trying to macro manage your macro nutrients, hit specific ratios, and stay at a calorie limit?

Yes simplicity is always best, we all know the more complex a system is the more likely it will fail. NOW do you see the point I was making? Below is a comment you left me...

Did I ever say eat 100% protein?
    No, well balanced diet is easy. macro manage nutrients? I dont have a food diary, not like most people. I understand about how many calories are in many products and have a general idea. I am considering calorie counting because I am attempting to enter single digits.

The comment I left you is in regards to your justification of recommending protein intake for the normal person based off an obese individual which doesnt make any sense in retaining LBM.

People over think their diet are normally doomed to failure. The average person just needs to watch caloric intake. There is no need to focus on amino acids, eliminating food groups, etc.

Now if people start claiming about what is healthy and what isnt. then its a different story.

eating fats, carbs, and proteins at an isocaloric state for a healthy person is all that is needed.
    People who are cutting weight to reach a "healthy" weight need to follow guidelines to help them stay healthy as they drop the weight.
    Diet is not just a key player, but physical activity is another for BG control and heart health.

The things that most of the people who follow nutrition get into is not needed for the average person. Those who want to alter body composition it is needed.

IF OP wanted to bulk and looking at his ticker, he is not an obese person.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Of course it doesn't make sense if you're looking at the small picture. Look at the bigger picture. I don't know the condition of the OP but for example if he's severely over weight and eats tacobell and burger king all day, he listens to you guys saying "I am going to eat 1.5g of protein per body weight." How long will that last? A month at best... When you radically make changes more than likely they won't last. That's why i told him to make small gradual changes... Hopefully now you have seen the light.

Maybe if you took the time to read the thread properly you would realize that the OP is 167lb and looking to bulk. Also, if you took a little more time to do some homework before going down the 'this guy needs to be eased into it gently route' you would realize that he has been logging his food since February and has not been over eating. What was that about looking at the big picture?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Unless someone wants to go read what I said I'm not going to partake in this any longer. I was telling him what happens if you consume too much protein. You can continue without me cause I'm not even talking about the same thing as you and it's getting rather annoying to keep saying so. Carry on.

But you said protein can't be stored.

It can be stored in muscles and other lean tissues.

Would you like me to mail you a nutrition book?

Explain how this happens... greatly interested in hearing your reply.

For starters I would need her address. I would probably choose Fed Ex or UPS ground and after packaging and labeling the book, I would drop it off at said business where, presumably, it would get entered into their computer system and a carrier would pick it up and deliver it to the destination.

I lolled.
  • Sarauk2sf

Of course it doesn't make sense if you're looking at the small picture. Look at the bigger picture. I don't know the condition of the OP but for example if he's severely over weight and eats tacobell and burger king all day, he listens to you guys saying "I am going to eat 1.5g of protein per body weight." How long will that last? A month at best... When you radically make changes more than likely they won't last. That's why i told him to make small gradual changes... Hopefully now you have seen the light.

Maybe if you took the time to read the thread properly you would realize that the OP is 167lb and looking to bulk. Also, if you took a little more time to do some homework before going down the 'this guy needs to be eased into it gently route' you would realize that he has been logging his food since February and has not been over eating. What was that about looking at the big picture?

As i said look at the "big picture" i still stand by my claim. What was his diet like? More than likely he wasn't eating 1.5g of protein per lbs of weight... Drastic changes to diet can easily lead to failure. Doesn't matter if he has been logging for 5yrs, if we try to put him on a salad based diet for whatever goal he's trying to accomplish, it probably won't end well...

(this is also in reply to the microbiologist guy, forgot his user name)

What on earth has salad got to do with this? As usual, a lack of ability to apply context and also a willingness to try to throw in strawman arguments.

ETA: who said to eat 1.5g per lb of body weight?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

As i said look at the "big picture" i still stand by my claim. What was his diet like? More than likely he wasn't eating 1.5g of protein per lbs of weight... Drastic changes to diet can easily lead to failure. Doesn't matter if he has been logging for 5yrs, if we try to put him on a salad based diet for whatever goal he's trying to accomplish, it probably won't end well...

What on earth has salad got to do with this? As usual, a lack of ability to apply context and also a willingness to try to throw in strawman arguments.

PU is just inventing imaginary scenarios. OP is overweight, eating 1.5 g/lb of protein and we are trying to put him on a salad diet.
    :noway: lolwut.
  • Sarauk2sf

PU is just inventing imaginary scenarios. OP is overweight, eating 1.5 g/lb of protein and we are trying to put him on a salad diet.
    :noway: lolwut.

You should know better than this, I am pretty sure I didn't say he was over weight, and any of our are putting him on a salad diet(read the post above to understand).

If you can reference a post where i said he was over weight, i'd gladly see it. I more than likely said something along the lines "he might be over weight" which is not the same thing as you know. Here is the w1.5g of protein per lbs of body weight. Direct quote from the OP

"I can't believe I really did just sit here and read all that, lol. Thanks for the input, i'm shooting for 1-1.5g/bw daily."

Where did you get that 'us guys' were saying to have an intake of 1.5g/lb/bw? Why did you even mention a salad diet except to try to use a strawman again. Your example was *if* he was overweight - he is not so it is invalid - I pointed it out and you still continued to say that your argument was valid. So, the fact that he was not overweight seems as though it is not relevant to you.

Oh, and why don't you actually read what you posted (hint: its in these quotes so you do not have to make an effort to find it) rather than sat 'I more than likely said? That baffles me tbh.

Edited for typo.
  • Sarauk2sf

The context is "human behavior". Which is never out of context.

This is the last thing i will explain to you. It's not about the salad, it was an example of telling someone to do something they may not be used to. We could have easily said "eat the majority of your diet grapes","salad","Doritos" or "PROTEIN"(which you guys are saying) doesn't matter what it is. The point is "MAKING A BIG CHANGE TO YOUR DIET. SUDDENLY." That doesn't go over well...

Recommendations if he needed to consume that much would be to start off with about 1g per LBM then work his way up, once he reaches 1.5g of protein per LBM then see what % of total weight that is... and build up from there.

You have a real habit of making assumptions that someone cannot apply reasonable macros and that any change is just too much for anyone to handle - it is a recurring theme - you really need to start using context and stop with the ridiculous use of extreme examples that are not relevant.

The OP asked a question - he does not need you assuming that he cannot apply the responses to the question. Quite frankly, it is a little insulting to the OP. If he has questions (if he ever comes back to the thread) then he can ask them.

And, if you will note, most of 'us guys' actually recommend 1g/lb/lbm - so I am not sure what you are debating here - you never actually made a recommendation but now seem to be making exactly the same one.
  • Sarauk2sf

The context is "human behavior". Which is never out of context.

This is the last thing i will explain to you. It's not about the salad, it was an example of telling someone to do something they may not be used to. We could have easily said "eat the majority of your diet grapes","salad","Doritos" or "PROTEIN"(which you guys are saying) doesn't matter what it is. The point is "MAKING A BIG CHANGE TO YOUR DIET. SUDDENLY." That doesn't go over well...

Recommendations if he needed to consume that much would be to start off with about 1g per LBM then work his way up, once he reaches 1.5g of protein per LBM then see what % of total weight that is... and build up from there.

You have a real habit of making assumptions that someone cannot apply reasonable macros and that any change is just too much for anyone to handle - it is a recurring theme - you really need to start using context and stop with the ridiculous use of extreme examples that are not relevant.

The OP asked a question - he does not need you assuming that he cannot apply the responses to the question. Quite frankly, it is a little insulting to the OP. If he has questions (if he ever comes back to the thread) then he can ask them.

And, if you will note, most of 'us guys' actually recommend 1g/lb/lbm - so I am not sure what you are debating here - you never actually made a recommendation but now seem to be making exactly the same one.

The word "If" implies a specific situation. My claims aren't blindly made, like many have been made on this topic. My context is correct. For example, I seen you recommend 1g of protein per lbm many times... with out thinking of context. That's the cookie cutter answer a lot of you give, calorie deficit is another example, "20% cut." It's not a 1 size fits all, you do have to take in to consideration context. Without using the word "if" it's like your making a solid statement that's universal. Which apparently isn't true.

Honestly, this discussion is about the protein intake the OP will be taking. That is an extreme amount. As I mentioned many times, extremes usually don't go well. Did I say "he can't do it?" I am implying he more than likely won't be able to. There is no solid statement saying "he can't do it." There is context as you and others mention, but don't keep it in mind, you just think you do.

You mentioned applying "reasonable macros" what the op said isn't "reasonable." I didn't make any protein recommendations. I mentioned a systemic protocol that could help someone get up to 1.5g of protein per lbs of body weight and keep it there...

lol - whatever you need to keep telling yourself.
  • Sarauk2sf
    OP: to actually get back to your question, I would look to get at least 1g or protein per lb of LBM up to a maximum of 1.5g per lb of LBM (maximum is so you leave enough for carbs) depending on your calories and activity levels as well as preference.

For you, I doubt that would be more than 150g protein as a minimum based on your weight and should be easy to get assuming you are bulking. I get that amount relatively easily when without supplement while on a bulking calorie level and I am a bit lighter than you. If necessary, use whey to supplement. Make sure you have a good progressive strength training routine.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    OP: to actually get back to your question, I would look to get at least 1g or protein per lb of LBM up to a maximum of 1.5g per lb of LBM (maximum is so you leave enough for carbs) depending on your calories and activity levels as well as preference.

For you, I doubt that would be more than 150g protein as a minimum based on your weight and should be easy to get assuming you are bulking. I get that amount relatively easily when without supplement while on a bulking calorie level and I am a bit lighter than you. If necessary, use whey to supplement. Make sure you have a good progressive strength training routine.

^^^ This

Op, please listen to this women - she knows what she is talking about. Please ignore people who don't read your posts and make assumptions on what you can and cannot do.

Good luck with the bulk. :drinker:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

^^^ This

Op, please listen to this women - she knows what she is talking about. Please ignore people who don't read your posts and make assumptions on what you can and cannot do.

OP - I'm going to chime in and agree here. There seems to be a number of "experts" who don't know when to stop embarrassing themselves, but here you have a choice between listening to a group quoting peer reviewed scientific articles and who have demonstrated success at not only losing body weight but maintaining and gaining lean mass vs. listening to some dude who is making it up as he goes along. It's one of the problems with the internetz, anyone can pretend to be an expert if they're not afraid of shameless self promotion and making endless arguments from their mom's basement.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member

^^^ This

OP - I'm going to chime in and agree here. There seems to be a number of "experts" who don't know when to stop embarrassing themselves, but here you have a choice between listening to a group quoting peer reviewed scientific articles and who have demonstrated success at not only losing body weight but maintaining and gaining lean mass vs. listening to some dude who is making it up as he goes along. It's one of the problems with the internetz, anyone can pretend to be an expert if they're not afraid of shameless self promotion and making endless arguments from their mom's basement.

tumblr_m9135pCT8e1rry9ec.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

tumblr_inline_mftvipyCDF1rvwdia.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Oh you mean listen to the people who have never been in a lab and don't know how it works and who have made no progress in the last 2yrs???

What does being in a lab have to do with it? How about you stop rambling and being a jerk. Let's let common sense prevail here and the OP experiment with what works for his body. Now stop! Seriously. Enough.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member

^^^ This

Oh you mean listen to the people who have never been in a lab and don't know how it works and who have made no progress in the last 2yrs???

and just WHO would that be?!?!?! and why one earth would they need a lab?

wow.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

^^^ This

tumblr_m9135pCT8e1rry9ec.gif

QFT...all of this^
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,321 Member

^^^ This

wow.

I was in a lab before he was born. I also learned about language and how to use it. I also took Debating in college. I also have a cat.

Why anyone would listen to this guy is beyond me. I'm not even going to directly speak to him anymore - I don't really follow his convoluted thinking anyway.
  • Sarauk2sf

wow.

He has made comments like that before..I just ignore it for the sheer ludicrousness of it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    OP: to actually get back to your question, I would look to get at least 1g or protein per lb of LBM up to a maximum of 1.5g per lb of LBM (maximum is so you leave enough for carbs) depending on your caloribesideses and activity levels as well as preference.

^^^ This

Really? I'm not picking sides or anything but this statement is ridiculous....... what do your undergraduate college classes have to do with this at all? it's not like you are working in a scientific laboratory researching and performing peer reviewed unbiased scientific studies....... no...... those are the studies referenced by everyone else..... this statement really was reaching....... and quite astretch. did you stay at a holiday inn express last night?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Not worth it.