what's too much protein when bulking?

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So in order to increase my protein that means an increase in total calories. If I increase 100g by shakes that'd be almost 600 additional daily calories. Of course fish or chicken may be a tad less.

What do you guys say about the increased caloric intake?

Increasing protein doesn't necessarily mean you have to increase calories. You eat it instead of something else. Too much is the amount that would put you over your ideal calorie range or the amount that would make it too difficult to sustain your diet.
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    not juicing

rtalencar85...how many grams of protein do you get each day and how many total calories? Only asking because I know you lift heavy and I want to put it into perspective
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'd echo that there isn't really a 'too much' just a point where more is pointless.

I've also heard you can only digest/absorb so many grams of protein in one sitting, i think thats a myth tho.

IMO 1 gram per lbs of body weight is the bare minimium. all i know is that when i'm eating at a defecit, i got to eat more protein then that or my bench press goes way down. Does that mean i'm losing more muscle, idk but it sucks none the less.

i've never eatten to grow (at least not in a controlled sense lol) it could be that a lot of protein is less important when your getting enough calories.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    not juicing

rtalencar85...how many grams of protein do you get each day and how many total calories? Only asking because I know you lift heavy and I want to put it into perspective
    If you know or have a good idea of your bodyfat use the Katch-Mcardle formula. If not use the Harris Benedict model. Both of these can be found in the google search.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to gain mass, eat at least 1 g/lb bw or 1 g/lb lbm. That really is a minimum. I eat 1.5 g/lb bw daily.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    not juicing

I aim to stay under 2500 calories a day and I try to get about 200 grams of protein per day. Sometimes I don't make it and sometimes I go way over. 200 is the goal though.
  • roverdisc98
    Options
    I aim to stay under 2500 calories a day and I try to get about 200 grams of protein per day. Sometimes I don't make it and sometimes I go way over. 200 is the goal though.

10-4 I appreciate everyone's input.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This is probably more dependent on your genetics. which is why most people will issue a blanket statement like 1g per lb of LBM or 1.5 "to be safe". That range will cover the wide variances in genetic nutrient partitioning and how efficiently we process amino acids varying from one person to the next.

I don't think the key to a successful bulk is protein. As most people have said on here, 1 g per pound is going to be enough. The more important question here is..."how many carbs can I cram into my daily intake?"

Carbs (read energy), are what will fuel your progression. Protein in ample amounts rebuilds your muscles. Given you have enough protein, more will not give you any added recovery or benefit. However, increasing carbohydrate has a scaling effect to work output, which is basically what will determine how much muscle adaptation will take place.

just my two cents.
  • roverdisc98
    Options
    I don't think the key to a successful bulk is protein. As most people have said on here, 1 g per pound is going to be enough. The more important question here is..."how many carbs can I cram into my daily intake?"

Carbs (read energy), are what will fuel your progression. Protein in ample amounts rebuilds your muscles. Given you have enough protein, more will not give you any added recovery or benefit. However, increasing carbohydrate has a scaling effect to work output, which is basically what will determine how much muscle adaptation will take place.

What are some excellent food choices when it comes to carbs?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have also been told that most people can't absorb much more than 30 grams of protein at a time. So the point would be that if you are taking in anymore than that at a time it will pass through. Makes you take a more balanced approach instead of trying to do it all at once.

You've been told an old bro's tale :)

OP, have a look at these:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/protein-requirements-for-strength-and-power-athletes.html

There are some dangers associated with eating a lot of protein if you have existing kidney problems. There are plenty of athletes who eat well in excess of 1 g per pound of body weight and do not suffer any ill effects, but the evidence of benefits of very high protein intakes (3g per lb) is controversial.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Start with 1g/lb bw and go from there.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Lyle Mcdonald is not exactly a great reference, though he is often referenced for some reason. He knows his sh**, but someone who only thinks about things without being able to apply them to any real result is only right in theory.

I don't think any successful bodybuilder, strongman, or power lifter achieved any degree of success without following some hocus pocus bro tales of their own. The bottom line is what works for you and what you are comfortable apply to your achieve your goals will yield the best results...as long as consistency is on point, and you arent blatantly violating some fundamental rules of nutrition.

To answer your question, I usually eat a wide variety of carbohydrate. I find whole grains tend to keep me fuller on a diet, and help with my fiber requirement, not to mention they are much better in terms of micronutrients, vitamins, minerals. On the flip side, there's nothing technically wrong with non whole grains or breads, cereals, pastas, white potatoes, even cake, though you'd have to make up the micronutrients elsewhere. Also eating something like cake for your carb requirement is pretty bad in terms of "bang for buck".
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    in order to gain mass you need protein, but what is too much? i've heard lots of different opinions

To gain mass you need "energy" not so much protein.

If you ate 1,000 calories a day total.If all of it was protein that's 250g of protein, more than what most people eat. You think you'll grow like a weed?

On the other hand, if you eat 5,000 calories of carbs, you think it will not not do anything?

I eat 250-300g of protein a day.. u mirin?
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    1G per 1 pound of LBM is usually enough

this is usually your best bet

thats 1 gram per 1 pound of lean body mass
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I wondered about this and looked at it from a runner's perspective.

After reading perhaps a dozen links from Google, I found two categories of answers - folks who were selling protein supplements recommended >= 1.2 gm/kg of body mass whereas academics and the people who were not openly affiliated with a commercial venture varied from 0.8 gm/kg to 1.2 gm/kg.

If I've had a hard workout (run) or if my HRV (Google is your friend) is down, I'll go with 1.2. Other than that, I generally look to hit 1 gm/kg.
  • mongolianfireoil
    Options
    been taking 200 to 300 grams of protein per day for 3 years now and can't donate a kidney because of some micro-albumin test.

silly doctors.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    in order to gain mass you need protein, but what is too much? i've heard lots of different opinions

To gain mass you need "energy" not so much protein.

If you ate 1,000 calories a day total.If all of it was protein that's 250g of protein, more than what most people eat. You think you'll grow like a weed?

On the other hand, if you eat 5,000 calories of carbs, you think it will not not do anything?

I eat 250-300g of protein a day.. u mirin?

I used to eat 500 a day... didn't do anything... that's my point.

but what did your carb and sugar intake look like? I've been at 200g+ intake daily for almost a year now, strength and muscle mass has increased significantly. I'm not saying your point isn't valid at all, I'm just pointing out that under the right conditions and training, a higher protein intake in proper intervals can definitely help in gaining and maintaining muscle mass.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I maintained LBM eating half that...

What are your lifts at?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    like what everyone said with 1g per lb

excess protein is also synthesized for other functions within the body. Nothing is every truly wasted

look up gluconeogenesis and denovo lipogenesis
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I maintained LBM eating half that...

What are your lifts at?

I haven't lifted in like 6 months due to health issues. I am a lot better now, so I am planning to go tomorrow to the gym.
    So i have no idea. Due to my issues i have lost a lot of LBM.
    THEN YOU DIDNT MAINTAIN LBM!
    regardless of your health issues your experience is invalid