what's too much protein when bulking?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It isn't your weight that decides how much of things you can absorb. It's our digestive system. I am certified nutritionist (for animals... lol) but same idea, your kidneys/liver/pancreas/large intestine can only break down and absorb a certain amount of each thing. Your weight will not influence this. You also can't store it like a camel, so it will be passed out of your system and wasted.

Macronutrients are either stored or oxidized as fuel. Excess protein increases oxidation rate of protein. It is not "wasted".
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    It isn't your weight that decides how much of things you can absorb. It's our digestive system. I am certified nutritionist (for animals... lol) but same idea, your kidneys/liver/pancreas/large intestine can only break down and absorb a certain amount of each thing. Your weight will not influence this. You also can't store it like a camel, so it will be passed out of your system and wasted.

Macronutrients are either stored or oxidized as fuel.

Not protein... want me to mail you a nutrition book?
  • SideSteel
    Options

I have several and quite frankly I'm not sure I'd like to read the one you're citing from if you disagree with the statement I just made.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

LOLOLOLOL...this is hysterical
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I know I'm already in this thread...

...but just in case, I'm definitely in now.

Am looking forward to reading how someone eating excess protein calories won't gain weight because protein are special calories that can't be stored.
  • Sunnyjb
    Options

Am looking forward to reading how someone eating excess protein calories won't gain weight because protein are special calories that can't be stored.

I'm not talking about calories, I'm talking about the fact that protein is excreted as ammonia and if you cannot pass it your body will start lysing the calcium from your bones. *edit to say he only quoted part of my original response*
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have also been told that most people can't absorb much more than 30 grams of protein at a time. So the point would be that if you are taking in anymore than that at a time it will pass through. Makes you take a more balanced approach instead of trying to do it all at once.
    That's a myth that will never die. Think about it. A 250 LB bodybuilder can only absorb as much protein as a 130 LB female at one meal.

It isn't your weight that decides how much of things you can absorb. It's our digestive system. I am certified nutritionist (for animals... lol) but same idea, your kidneys/liver/pancreas/large intestine can only break down and absorb a certain amount of each thing. Your weight will not influence this. You also can't store it like a camel stores water in its hump, so it will be passed out of your system and wasted. Also, our bodies don't have a good way of getting rid of protein so it is turned into ammonia and passed through the excretory system (sweat) If you are eating too much your sweat will start to smell of ammonia. If you don't sweat your body will build up and will begin lysing calcium from your bones, and you will have a hard time with carbohydrates... which you need to fuel your workouts.

It can also cause kidney stones... this one I learned the hard way ><

Anyway, that is not a myth.
    Acorrding to what study? Dont pull your title on this because it doesnt make sense.
    I am at the same level as an ADN nurse and I will be graduating with a BSN in 6 months. My medical classes have been done and I have also taken classes over interpretation of research.

I had to study pathophysiology and the effects of impaired liver and kidney function within the body. The ammonia you are talking about is only harmful if you have a form of impaired liver function such as cirrhosis that causes encephalopathy. Protein is not wasted and is not excreted by the body as a whole. it is metabolized.

urea.gif
  • DatMurse
    Options

I'm not talking about calories, I'm talking about the fact that protein is excreted as ammonia and if you cannot pass it your body will start lysing the calcium from your bones. *edit to say he only quoted part of my original response*

for calories to be taken in the macronutrient must be absorbed. that is why dietary drugs such as Alli block fat absorption and the calories are not taken in
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    I have also been told that most people can't absorb much more than 30 grams of protein at a time. So the point would be that if you are taking in anymore than that at a time it will pass through. Makes you take a more balanced approach instead of trying to do it all at once.
    That's a myth that will never die. Think about it. A 250 LB bodybuilder can only absorb as much protein as a 130 LB female at one meal.

It isn't your weight that decides how much of things you can absorb. It's our digestive system. I am certified nutritionist (for animals... lol) but same idea, your kidneys/liver/pancreas/large intestine can only break down and absorb a certain amount of each thing. Your weight will not influence this. You also can't store it like a camel stores water in its hump, so it will be passed out of your system and wasted. Also, our bodies don't have a good way of getting rid of protein so it is turned into ammonia and passed through the excretory system (sweat) If you are eating too much your sweat will start to smell of ammonia. If you don't sweat your body will build up and will begin lysing calcium from your bones, and you will have a hard time with carbohydrates... which you need to fuel your workouts.

Acorrding to what study? Dont pull your title on this because it doesnt make sense.
    I am at the same level as an ADN nurse and I will be graduating with a BSN in 6 months. My medical classes have been done and I have also taken classes over interpretation of research.

I had to study pathophysiology and the effects of impaired liver and kidney function within the body. The ammonia you are talking about is only harmful if you have a form of impaired liver function such as cirrhosis that causes encephalopathy. Protein is not wasted and is not excreted by the body as a whole. it is metabolized.

urea.gif

would you like my picture of this as well? He asked if there was too much protein, there is, and it will do damage to your body. Not sure why people are arguing with me
  • DatMurse
    Options

yea protein is not used as fuel.
    590metabolism.gif

What classes did you have to take for that? This is level 1 college course classes that I remember seeing in Biology
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    Find your picture that shows what happens when you consume too much protein....
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    OBVIOUSLY it is broken down and used as fuel, this is ABOUT EXCESS. Good god
  • DatMurse
    Options

urea.gif

would you like my picture of this as well? He asked if there was too much protein, there is, and it will do damage to your body. Not sure why people are arguing with me
    What picture? You are trying to pull a title out over this and even in nursing school excess protein or high protein diets are only contraindicated in people with liver or kidney impairment. post your picture then
  • DatMurse
    Options

you said it cannot be oxidized as fuel.
  • Sunnyjb
    Options

I said it can't be stored in the body
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Welcome back, and grab some popcorn.

On second thought, grab some skinless chicken breasts--this might take a while and you don't want to run out of energy. Oh wait! You can't get energy from protein, d'oh.
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    Did you even read what I wrote?
  • SideSteel
    Options

I said it can't be stored in the body
    What are muscles and organs?

Do you know that protein turnover occurs in skeletal muscle and other tissues?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have this book?

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439844564

"Dietary Protein and Resistance Exercise" by Dr. Lonnie Lowery

I'd love to know his conclusion on this topic.
  • Sunnyjb
    Options
    Unless someone wants to go read what I said I'm not going to partake in this any longer. I was telling him what happens if you consume too much protein. You can continue without me cause I'm not even talking about the same thing as you and it's getting rather annoying to keep saying so. Carry on.